• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Could someone please explain this "draw" thing?

Griezz

Dark Match Jobber
Okay, I get the basic idea of what it is supposed to be: it's the one person, or two people, who gets you to buy an event. In movies, there are the marquee names, meaning those usually listed before the movie's title. In many TV shows, it's easy to see who the "draw" is, since they usually have the lead role and the overwhelming majority of scenes.
The problem is that the idea actually doesn't translate well in pro wrestling. You'd figure that the "draw" would be the "world champion", right? After all, doesn't the belt mean that they are supposed to be the best? But if that's the case, then how is it that there are all these other "main event matches" on PPV (especially on WWE PPVs) where non-champion wrestlers are being held up as being equal in importance to the champion.
It seemed to start back with Hulk Hogan back at Wrestlemania VIII. Hogan was no longer the champion, but he refused to be anything but the main event of the card. As such, McMahon had to claim that there were two "co-main event matches", those being Hogan-Sid and the Flair-Savage title match. Lately, we have gotten to the point where there are as many as FOUR "main event matches".
That brings me back to my original question: what is a "draw", since the plethora of main events clouds the issue of just who is attracting the crowds.
It certainly isn't who sells the most merchandise; there are plenty of top-sellers of merchandise that the WWE does not seem interested in pushing.
I remember seeing a clip from a wrestling class that Al Snow did, where Snow said that the "best" match of Wrestlemania was not Steamboat-Savage, but Hogan-Andre. Why? Because that was the main event, so that was what people paid to see. (Myself, I just don't see declaring that since a main-eventer could just phone-in a performance while someone on the "undercard" worked his ass off to entertain and to work.)

So.. does anyone have any observations or opinions to share?

In simple terms a draw is someone who the crowd pays to see.
If Al Snow hadn't used the word "best" I would have agreed with him. If he had said biggest or most important match of the night. Yeah because that who the fans paid to see.

There can be several "draws" on any given show. You don't have to be the top guy or the champion to be a draw.

Take the Shield for example. None of them were a top guy but people were still a selling point for shows.

I don't know if you remember Kevin Thorn from WWECW but he would be an example of a guy who wasn't a draw. A large number of fans weren't paying to see him wrestle. He just happened to be on a card with wrestlers that people were willing to pay to see.

Its pretty simple really. Slash has pretty much nailed it in his post.

A draw is someone that makes people tune in to watch the show, or pay money to buy the PPV to watch them perform. Someone like Hulk Hogan or Steve Austin were huge draws in their time as the arenas were full every time they were on a card and TV ratings/PPV buys were sky high when these two were champion. It didnt matter that Hogan's matches weren't the best on the card, people wanted to see him and he "drew in" viewers.

On the other hand, it's a common belief that Shawn Michaels wasn't a major draw while he was champion during the mid 1990s, as during his title reign both viewing figures and PPV buys were down, even though he was stealing the show night after night and having classic matches with a number of opponents- people were not being drawn into buying the PPVs with HBK as champion.

It's hard to argue these points although there is one variable that alters it.

Draw is not just about dollars and cents/merch sales. It's also about that perceived "buzz" around a wrestler/team in the fan and public consciousness.

If you ask a non wrestling fan to name a wrestler, any wrestler they will normally come out with...

Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Undertaker,Bret Hart, Andre The Giant, British Bulldog, Randy Savage if they are over 30.

Under 30 they'll come out with Steve Austin, Rock, Undertaker and possibly Triple H and Cena.

Thats not to say others aren't draws... but these guys are THE names people remember who don't even watch... Non wrestling fans KNEW who Andre The Giant was and would go to see him on that basis for the novelty. Hulk Hogan was "the guy from Rocky", then he was in the A-Team... everyone knew who he was and same for all the others.

A draw will make people talk about them as well as buy a movie ticket, PPV buy or T-shirt and be known to those who wouldn't.

Despite many's assumption there is no bigger draw in history than Dwayne Johnson/The Rock... he sold arenas based on his persona and ring skill, translated that into movies that wrestling fans saw first but told others about, they got into him for those movies and his later ones and when he came back to wrestling followed out of curiosity, not cos "He's a wrestler" but cos he's "the biggest movie star in the world wrestling." The dollars attached to his movies alone is in the billions, add that to revenue generated for WWE over the years and himself in terms of his brand and value of his business goodwill and he really is "The King of Entertainment".

Shawn, Brock, Angle, Foley, all these guys were wrestling draws in that they could now or then sell out a show, but you ask 90% of the world if they know any of them they'd probably not... Brock especially is a very niche thing, but he draws that niche crowd. Daniel Bryan more recently is a guy people may have heard of because he has gotten a lot of mainstream press during his push...hell he made the BBC news twice in a week, once for not being in a match! That is a draw, regardless of the merch sales.

Ric Flair famously said Bret Hart "never drew a dime", arguably he did just not domestically as much of the WWF's expansion globally in the 90's was down to his popularity. They'd never have gone to India etc without him or with Flair at the helm. By the same argument, Flair never drew in "New York" yet could in the south.

Some guys just won't...or couldn't Dolph won't, his name for a start screams "phony wrestler name", had they changed it up once he got pushed then it might have worked. Lex Luger or Jack Swagger the same thing... Kevin Nash is the biggest example here, he bombed as WWF champion, didn't draw at all but was able to as part of the NWO, not cos of him but cos of the group he was in... when he got his own to lead as the Wolfpac it too bombed.

vince mcmahon was a genius in the 1980s, back then the marquee used to say "hulk hogan" or "ric flair". today the wwe is the draw. wrestlemania will sell no matter who wrestles, wwe raw has a core audience that will watch even if they dont like the top guy. the draw today is not any one person, its the company of wwe.

Okay, so it's a combination of "buzz", who people pay to see, and who people tune in to watch. The basic description seems simple enough, but again, I find that I have problems with the details.

For instance... "buzz" can be a deceptive term; I have to wonder how much is earned and how much is bought. Plenty of tweets about certain wrestlers? I've seen a number of cases involving non-wrestling products where people are secretly being paid to tweet about them, in order to generate "buzz". Would the WWE do the same? Why wouldn't it? Why should the WWE not use "buzz" that is as predetermined as the matches?

Who do people tune in to see? Again, I don't see this as being a reliable indicator. Yes, it is possible to track viewers on a show for every segment of time, but I don't agree that that has anything to do with who happens to be on at that point. If that were the case, then people would know ahead of time at one time that a given wrestler will be on. Since that is impossible to know, it doesn't follow that ratings mean draw.

As for who people pay to see... I hope I'm not coming across as difficult, but that's still a nebulous area. It's hard to determine if there is a particular person that people came to see, or whether their presence (or absence) is caused by something else. Did the event take place just a week or two after another event? That has been known to lower sales. Did it take place just after a PPV? People do only have a given amount to spend, after all. Is the event a TV taping? Sure, more people may show up to a TV taping, but is it because "the stars will be there" or is it because the fans think there's an outside chance that they might make a quick appearance on TV?

For instance... "buzz" can be a deceptive term; I have to wonder how much is earned and how much is bought. Plenty of tweets about certain wrestlers? I've seen a number of cases involving non-wrestling products where people are secretly being paid to tweet about them, in order to generate "buzz". Would the WWE do the same? Why wouldn't it? Why should the WWE not use "buzz" that is as predetermined as the matches?

Look beyond Twitter posts. One you can look at the number of followers any given wrestler has. Look at individual companies websites. How many hits are they getting on articles about certain wrestlers? Who are the wrestlers people are talking about on the forums on companies websites?

Who do people tune in to see? Again, I don't see this as being a reliable indicator. Yes, it is possible to track viewers on a show for every segment of time, but I don't agree that that has anything to do with who happens to be on at that point. If that were the case, then people would know ahead of time at one time that a given wrestler will be on. Since that is impossible to know, it doesn't follow that ratings mean draw.

You can track the number of viewers on a segment which means you can also track the number of viewers who change the channel during the segment. A great example of this is when Mick Foley won the title on Raw. Raw was pre taped for that episode and on Nitro Eric Bischoff announced that Mick Foley was going to win the title on Raw and a huge number of people switched the channel from Nitro to Raw so they could see it.

As for who people pay to see... I hope I'm not coming across as difficult, but that's still a nebulous area. It's hard to determine if there is a particular person that people came to see, or whether their presence (or absence) is caused by something else. Did the event take place just a week or two after another event? That has been known to lower sales. Did it take place just after a PPV? People do only have a given amount to spend, after all. Is the event a TV taping? Sure, more people may show up to a TV taping, but is it because "the stars will be there" or is it because the fans think there's an outside chance that they might make a quick appearance on TV?

You have to take into consideration things like signs in the arena that people brought, merchandise sales, who is the crowd reacting to? Randy Orton is going to get a better reaction than say David Otunga. Even if the crowd is booing him they're still reacting to what he says or does. Therefore Randy Orton would be a bigger draw than David Otunga.

Also in the rare case that an advertised wrestler doesn't make the show and they offer refunds you'd look at how many people decide to take the refund rather than stay and watch the show.

Ric Flair famously said Bret Hart "never drew a dime", arguably he did just not domestically as much of the WWF's expansion globally in the 90's was down to his popularity. They'd never have gone to India etc without him or with Flair at the helm. By the same argument, Flair never drew in "New York" yet could in the south.

Some guys just won't...or couldn't Dolph won't, his name for a start screams "phony wrestler name", had they changed it up once he got pushed then it might have worked. Lex Luger or Jack Swagger the same thing... Kevin Nash is the biggest example here, he bombed as WWF champion, didn't draw at all but was able to as part of the NWO, not cos of him but cos of the group he was in... when he got his own to lead as the Wolfpac it too bombed.

I agree with your overall post, especially regarding The Rock as the biggest draw both in wrestling and in Hollywood. His charisma and talent make people want to pay to see him, no matter what he's doing.

To your comment about Flair and Bret. Bret obviously drew a lot of money. Not as much as Flair or Hogan or Austin or Rock, but Bret still sold tickets, merch and PPVs from 1993 - 1997. People were paying to see him, there was just less people than the period before 1993. Also, you hit the nail on the head regarding his international success.

Where I kind of disagree with you is on Kevin Nash. Yes, Diesel bombed as the WWF champion, and I'd argue that in late 1994 and throughout 1995, Bret was still the main draw on the roster, even though he didn't have the belt. But Kevin Nash in WCW was a very different character than Diesel in WWF. Nash was himself in the nWo. Yea, the group itself was over, and it had a lot to do with Hogan... but I don't think you're giving enough credit to the work both Hall and Nash were doing at the time. Especially once he turned face and created the Wolfpac. The Wolfpac in NO way bombed. It was the most over stables in the second half of 1998 and Nash himself was very over. He deserved his spot at Starrcade 98, in my opinion. I would have loved to have seen him actually get a Wolfpac face run with strap in 99, but obviously that didn't happen.

The Draw is the person or people that makes you want to see that event more than you normally would, be it a card or signing. It's that person that has name recognition that makes an event stand out. You can have a small indie show of unknowns but have say Jerry Lawler or Ric Flair at the card, there's your Draw to come see the show. The Draw gives more incentive for people to come.

I don't believe in the term "draw". I don't watch Raw or Smackdown or subscribe to the WWE Network because of a wrestler or group of wrestlers. I never have, and I never will. I watch for the overall product and because it's WWE. If you ask anyone why they watch WWE, they will never say Brock Lesnar or Seth Rollins or any other wrestler because they watch for the product as a whole rather than a wrestler or group of wrestlers.

I agree with Al Snow's views on wrestling. The objective is to draw money, therefore whoever draws the most is the best. Hulk Hogan was better than Shawn Michaels.

Individual wrestlers can be "draws"....we see this in the modern era based on quarter hour ratings for their segments on TV. Casual fans turning in to see said wrestler perform/deliver a promo, etc.

House shows are usually sold on one or two matches....those wrestlers are the "draws". However, who said wrestler is matched up against and the popularity of their storyline contributes to the "drawing power". Some guys are so big they can deliver a large crowd and/or especially pop a big rating just by their presence. I remember a few years ago, the two highest rated segments on RAW were The Rock performing his "Rock Concert" sing song promo and The Miz interviewing Ric Flair, who was long since retired and not even involved in any storylines. The fact those segments, one completely ridiculous and useless and the other simply not important delivered the most viewers is an example of when the wrestler is so over they can "draw" even without great material. The list of performers able to do this consistently in their careers is pretty short.

Usually a performer's ability to "draw" is heavily invested in their opponent and their storyline. Sting drew big money against Flair & Hogan, he drew some money against Luger & Vader, he didn't draw against Sid Justice. Luger himself had big moments against Flair, Hogan, Yokozuna, but he didn't draw against Bill Kazmier or Barry Whyndam during his first WCW Title reign.

Just being matched up against a premier opponent doesn't mean you will draw. Anyone remember the classic, back & forth, 40 minute tour de force Brett Hart had with Glacier in 1998 ? I didn't think so, with no storyline between them and the fact only Hart was a legit top tier talent fans tuned out and switched channels in droves. It was great but didn't draw. Hart though drew very well against Flair & Luger that year though, bigger stars that had invested storylines with him.

Just getting a push doesn't mean you draw either, At some point your charisma and ability must connect with the audience or it doesn't matter how talented you are in the ring. Mabel got a huge push, even main evented against WWE Champ Kevin Nash but fans were not interested. Brad Armstrong got a nice push after Magnum TA's car accident but he didn't make it, Shelton Benjamin was given a complete make over, a heat drawing gimmick, and televised wins over HHH, Flair, & Rob Van Dam....and practically nobody remembers him.

Typically the person fans consider "the draw" is The World Champ, and its true that usually the World Champ gets the best storylines and the most established and well known opponents. Still, the champ isn't always the "main draw" on the show....as one poster put it Brett Hart was consistently booked as an almost co main eventer for much of Kevin Nash's WWE Title run, Goldberg famously was pushed to the backburner when he won the WCW Title. After Goldberg won the belt he didn't main event PPVs in July, Aug, or Sept and shared co-main event status at the OCT PPV, taking a back seat promotion and storyline wise to Hulk Hogan's story. It wasn't until nearly seven months into his reign that Goldberg was given a premiere storyline and asked to be the main focal point of major show (Starrcade 98 vs Nash)....and he lost the belt that night.

Now in order to draw a profitable size crowd for a house show you can get by with one or two important bouts. To sell a major show, like a Mania, S-Slam, S-Series, etc, you need to invigorate the fan base, bring in casual fans and build a major sense of excitement. That means having multiple "main event caliber" matches or "draws" on the show.

W-Mainia 3 was huge....and much of that was beholden to the Hogan-Andre match, but WWE invested major storyline time and build to Steamboat-Savage and Roddy Piper's face turn and subsequent "retirement match". Savage-Ultimate Warrior was a huge part of the draw in Mania 7, as much if not more than Hogan's title match. Mania VIII was promoted as having a "Double Main Event" (Flair-Savage for the WWE Title & Hogan's Retirement Match vs Sid) but there was also significant build for Piper-Hart. More recently the Undertaker matches have been used as major selling points for Mania even though he really hasn't had the actual "Main Event" in hardly any of them. He did get the ME spot at Mania 24 but shared pre match hype, probably got less in fact, than Flair's Retirement and the Cena-HHH-Orton Triple Threat, not too mention how much attention went to promoting Floyd Mayweather's match. Certainly the Taker-HHH matches were huge selling points for Mania even though they didn't get the Main Event spot. Taker's return this year was probably the second biggest storyline behind Lesnar's WWE Title match.

This concept not only goes back to the early Mania's like WM 3 but also to Starrrcade....the Tully Blanchard-Magnum TA "I Quit" Match was so huge they used it to main event it's own arena (SC 85 was held at two different arenas) on a night that Dusty Rhodes was returning from a broken leg to battle Flair for the title. Dusty's US Title match in a cage vs Lex Luger was a major draw and storyline at SC 87 behind Flair-Garvin. It's typical for a major show to have at least two, sometimes as many as 3 or 4, main event "draws" to ensure major interest. Cena-Rock alone doesn't draw a million views without help from Taker-HHH.

Finally, the ability to draw is influenced by the overall popularity of the product. If fans think the overall product is boring, they wont be around to watch. Even those most critical of Brett Hart as a "draw" in the 90s would admit WWE booking was lousy much of that time, the undercard was very weak, few new stars were developed, the older stars were all gone, that doesn't make it easy to "draw" when fans are tuning out the product, they may like you, just not the overall product. John Cena is the exact same, during his time as WWE's #1 guy ratings have dropped and numbers declined, but he's also been supported by an increasingly weaker cast as fewer new stars have been developed, several high profile investments have been failures, and older stars have all left. He sells a ton of merchandise, gets a ton of Make A Wish requests, and has delivered some huge quarter hour ratings but the over all product isn't popular with fans. The success of his matches against The Rock shows fans consider him a "true star" but he alone isn't carrying the product with an unsatisfied fan base.

The only guy Ive ever seen who could draw big crowds with weak, relatively mid level or unknown opponents and mediocre stories was 1980s Hulk Hogan. Drawing against Andre, Piper, Savage, etc wasn't nearly as hard as drawing against Kamala or Zeus. I think Austin at his height could have done this although once he became their top star he wasn't asked to carry many less well known opponents, Chris Benoit, an otherwise career mid carder, was one example but I don't remember any other times Austin shared a program for any length of time with anyone who wasn't a legit main event star post 1997. Flair did it at his height against mid carders like Garvin, the young Brad Armstrong, and a few others but not at Hogan's levels, his ability to draw crowds against weak and less established opposition was just so much higher than what anyone else could manage.

The bulk of the work done to prove a wrestler's drawing ability in comparison to another wrestler has been done by David Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez. Even though they have done a great job compiling so much historic information about gates, it is beyond obvious that their 'drawing' stat system is inherently flawed.

First, it really is impossible to compare the drawing ability of a 1920s star like Jim Londos to a 1990s star like Bret Hart. For one, Londos drew gates only and was booked as the once in a lifetime draw. There was no real merchandise nor PPVs nor rival to really take his spot. In Bret's time, there were a number of legitimate draws in WWE and all over the world. In the 1920s, Jim Londos or Ed Strangler Lewis were two of the very few must see draws. These guys did not wrestle 200 times a year like the Hitman did but when they did they would often wrestle for nearly 2 hours. And when they did wrestle it was always a must see event with a massive attendance.

Secondly, the method used to tabulate who drew what gate at whatever show is impossible and therefore completely inaccurate. For example, WWE drew me to watch Wrestlemania 18 with the Hollywood Hogan vs Rock match. I was NOT drawn in by the main event of Triple H vs Chris Jericho. I would not have watched that Wrestlemania without that legendary dream match. But Hogan and Rock are not credited with drawing me. Only Triple H and Jericho are credited for drawing that audience and viewers. Same with Wrestlemania 7. I did not tune in to watch Hogan vs Slaughter. I watched the show, like a majority of the audience did, to see who would win the legendary retirement match between the Ultimate Warrior and the Macho King. Yet neither Warrior and Macho are credited with drawing because of the whole Gulf War angle. Savage was also not credited for his Wrestlemania 8 dream match against Flair (all the credit went to Hogan and Sid) nor Wrestlemania 3 where his match with Steamboat stole the show. It is assumed everybody wanted to watch David and Goliath. However, Savage had a massive following as a heel (he made the IC title feel like a second world title) and tons of fans tuned in to also see if Steamboat could get revenge for Savage putting him out of action for months. Long story short, in Hogan's shadow the Macho Man's drawing ability has never been calculated properly. Hogan got all the drawing credit as he always wrestled the main events at huge shows against crap monsters (by 1987 Andre could barely walk) in crap matches with the exact same crappy result against the likes of King Kong Bundy, Sgt Slaughter, Sid Justice, Earthquake, Yokozuna etc. Savage, on the other hand, mostly wrestled half way through the card to maintain audience interest. His matches were always super intense because he was always battling somebody in a crazy hot feud. Savage could elevate anybody to main event level because he was fantastic at selling his opponents offence. The thing is though that in any other era or organization, Savage would be the main attraction instead of Hogan. He was a far superior entertainer, technician, story teller etc. Undertaker is another wrestler who is not given enough drawing credit. The last 10 years he is probably most often the number one Wrestlemania draw because of his unbeaten streak and longevity. Everybody always expects his match at Wrestlemania to be his last. But, if Taker's match does not go on at the end of the night, then he's not credited as the draw. Even though it's clear the Undertaker in old age has become the biggest Wrestlemania draw since Hogan.

Third, this process of calculating who is a better draw over-emphasizes WWE, Japanese and Mexican/South American-based wrestlers where the shows are always in front of rabid fans in massive sold out arenas and TV audiences. For example, WCW, NWA, AWA, CWF wrestling could never compete with the bigger markets with a global reach where the wrestling organization is the main draw and where wrestling culture is enormous.

Fourth, missing from the top 100 draws list are some of the greatest workers who a) spent a good deal wrestling as throwaway heels for Hulk Hogan b) wrestled outside of the WWE where the gate revenues were much lower and the PPV access poorer C) were big time over but didn't usually work the last match of the night. These wrestlers definitely could have been put in a position to draw in any other era or organization. They include Sting, Ricky Steamboat, Mick Foley, Roddy Piper, Mil Mascaras, Terry Funk, Kevin Nash, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio Jr., Goldberg, DDP, Curt Hennig, Bruiser Brody, Big Van Vader, Lex Luger, Ted Dibiase, Scott Hall, Rick Rude, Jake Roberts and Scott Steiner. Any one of these faces could have been the Cena of the 2000s and any one of these heels could have been the HHH during this same period.

Fifth, big fish in little ponds get way too much drawing credit. A wrestler like Flair always got to main event in NWA/WCW or in any of the different territories he was free to roam. So Flair could tour America and wrestle every territories' main draw while WWE-contracted wrestlers all had to work the mid-card under Hogan and the flavour of the week heel. Also, Flair was permitted to wrestle every night for as long as he wanted. Had Flair been signed to WWE, in say 1985, he would have only main evented in programs with Hogan or Savage for no more than 10 to 15 minutes a match as schedule and then he'd be moved down on the card and out of the main events. Flair's main eventing as a WWE wrestler would be reduced by probably 75 percent.

Sixth, some wrestlers, like The Rock, are considered huge draws even though they had very short in-ring careers. The Rock is one of the all time greats, sure, but a lot of Rock's early success can be attributed to the Stone Cold Steve Austin, Vince McMahon, WCW and the Monday Night Wars. If The Rock missed the Attitude Era entirely, he would have had a lot more trouble getting over since he'd have risen the ranks of the PG era. The Rock's rise can be credited to this. Vince became the most hated personality after he screwed Bret. The fans wanted to see someone step up and kick Vince's butt. WWF had a very weak roster when Bret departed. Enter Stone Cold Steve Austin. Right place right time to elevate new stars and for business to explode. Since there weren't a whole lot of other options, Stone Cold Steve Austin became the big draw. And the big heel after Vince became The Rock. However, Austin had many injury issues around the time of his drawing peak. He did not always wrestle across the country in main events or at PPVs during his peak. A lot of the time he was on the shelf so another top face was needed to take his spot. Enter The Rock. Even though The Rock was now the top draw, Austin would show up to crash the main event. And often the fans were drawn not by Rock but by just Austin making this one appearance. Since Austin was not always available to main event, The Rock got to slot into Austin's spot and thus IMO gets exaggerated credit for drawing far more than Austin ever did. Same thing goes for Triple H. He gets far too much credit because the main events should have always been Austin-Rock not Rock-Triple H.

Another wrestler who doesn't get enough credit for his ability to draw is Sting. Hugely over with kids for his superhero-like gimmick, Sting never wrestled a day for the big pond WWE until Wrestlemania 31. And when he did, he was not credited as the draw that day although he was the draw that day for me and probably most of the viewing audience. Since he wrestled 27 combined years for NWA/WCW/TNA, he did not get to draw the massive gates he could have drawn working for WWF or in Japan. There is another issue with accurately determining Sting's drawing contribution. He was arguably the most over character in the history of WCW when he began his Crow Sting phase and wouldn't speak. Since he never wrestled in any of the main events from late 1996 to Starrcade 1997, however, he is not credited with drawing the gate or TV audience. But, in fact, Sting vs the NWO was responsible for drawing record TV ratings during this exact time in which WCW beat WWE for 83 straight weeks. The highlight of every single Nitro or Thunder that WCW put on in 1997 and early 98 was that moment at the end of the show where Sting would descend from the rafters to get revenge on the NWO. There is no way Meltzer or anyone can accurately record Sting's drawing ability during this time frame when he wasn't wrestling but was more over than almost anybody in the history of wrestling...And when he did return to action, he had to compete with 20 other legends vying for the main event. There was never an organization in the history of wrestling with so many main event caliber wrestlers competing for the final match on the card.

In conclusion, I believe the most accurate way to ascertain one's drawing ability in this day and age would be either merchandise sales and/or to look at the quarter hour ratings of TV segments during Raw or Smackdown. I can't speak on behalf of Attitude Era WWE because I was more focused on WCW Nitro and Thunder at the time. But from what I remember, the biggest quarter hours in WCW ALWAYS belonged to segments involving Hulk Hogan and the Macho Man. This was followed closely by Sting, The Outsiders, Ric Flair and Roddy Piper. And then in mid 97 DDP and early 98 Goldberg would get in on this drawing action. Ratings would dip a little when there'd be vanilla midget wrestling and a half an hour break from the NWO. And they'd go back up with the gang warfare of the NWO. WCW had so many legit main eventers that I don't believe any of these guys get a fair representation in Meltzer's overall drawing stats. However, these were the biggest draws during this period of time for WCW. No matter where they wrestled on the card, all these guys drew new fans to the product and sold merchandise like crazy. And just as well as anyone else before and arguably even after that era in any organization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back