Could AEW be in trouble of getting cancel?

Psykohurricane55

Staff member
A new report came out that Warner/discovery is doing some major cuts in all his departments including HBO max, his movie division which already felt it with the cancelation of Batgirl and the rumored cancelation of the supergirl movie. Budget cuts in HBO max and on the TV side as well. That's not good news for AEW which are about the enter a new contract negotiation next year and are still trying to get a ROH show started.

I feel like now would be a great time for Tony khan to get all his duck in a row, stop pandering to the IWC and give casual fans a product that they can enjoy outside the WWE. Also it would be great if they could make but dynamite and rampage destination television again. For too long now, AEW has been coasting on his current fanbase and how loyal they are. They're not creating new stars with the revolving door they have on TV. The rankings system is becoming a big joke at this point and the product is suffering from Tony all hotshotting and non sensical booking that he like to call long term booking.

Dynamite is still the highest rated show they have on tbs but when you look at the segment per segment ratings, you see a trend that's not favorable for them getting a better deal next year, the show start hot and rating slowly declines for quarter hour to quarter hour. And that's not attractive to network execs, especially those that just look one reason to cut the expenses and AEW could be seen as a expendable product that warner/discovery can get rid off to save money.

So if i was Tony, I would do one of 2 thing, either start creating a product that will be appealing again and that will grow your audience or try to shop this current product around to get a better deal elsewhere because If not, this could be the beginning of the end of AEW unless tony doesn't mind financing the whole company himself and not depend on TV money to finance some part of the company.

As you say, he needs to get his ducks in a row, create some 'homegrown' stars, start cutting back on the massive talent roster and stop throwing money around like confetti.

I don't think AEW is in danger of getting cancelled, as it still does pull in ratings.

Companies are looking to make savings, a global recession doesn't appear far off, if it hasn't started already and companies are looking make savings, trim the fat etc. so Tony needs to watch he doesn't overplay his hand in the negotiation deals.

With inflation and the cost of living, PPV sales are likely to decrease as people start cutting back on non-neccesity things, so it might not be the best time for a ROH reboot, especially if it could be filled with guys considered 'not good enough' to be on AEW's other shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back