My thought on CM Punks debut in AEW

Psykohurricane55

Staff member
If you didnt know about this you probably are living under a rock or not following wrestling at all but CM Punk came back to pro wrestling last night. While i wouldn't have done it on Rampage since a lot less people around the world have access to that show compared to Dynamite i get why they did it. It's the old strategy that Bischoff used back in the nitro days of booking a big surprise on a new show to get people talking and bring more eyes on the product. That make sense. it also made sense to debut him in his hometown since that were he would have gott
en the biggest reaction. If they had debut him anywhere else then chicago he wouldnt have gotten the same reaction he got there and is debut wouldn't have been looked at as a big deal.

But were do you go from there. Clearly, they have a plan for ALL out which make is good but at the same time what's is the plan and will this plan kill any momemtum that Punk has from this big debut. By observing AEW go for the last year i'm kinda scared for CM Punk. They really don'T have a good track record in pushing their big signings to their full potential and ride the wave of momemtum they provided.

Just look at the last 2 huge signings they brought in. Sting and christian. Sting came in and it was like Punk a huge thing. People thought this would have been a game changer for AEW and it would have bring back some of the older fans that stop watching wrestling and for a couple of weeks it did but the bad booking and illogical segments sent those fans back out and made Sting just another guy on the roster. For god sake, he wrestled a jobber team on dynamite this week, that's how low Sting has gotten in AEW.

Christian on the other hand came in to a pretty good reaction but again they did nothing with him for a month outside putting him in matches that did nothing for him, then he got put with the comedy squad and again he'S just one of the guy. Yes he won the impact title from Omega but how much does the impact tile truly means and do we really believe that he'S going to beat Omega for the AEW title at all out. I don'T. So again just another wasted opportunity

As for Punk the best thing for his character would be to first, not wrestled or have any physicality before all out. Fans would be more then happy to listen to him for a month or so. Make his first match mean something. But knowing AEW, he probably going to have his first match in the next few week with no real build up again a nobody just so they can get another spike in the ratings. They don't get how to properly book guys to get the maximum out of them. Everything is always hotshotted and that'S why they're not able to keep the newer fans they get from their big surprises. Punk is just another one of those hotshot idea that they have done for get people talking about them and it will fizzle out just like all the others and they will sstay will the same fanbase they have now until they get fed up of AEW bring in outsiders and pushing them hard over the homegrown talent.

Honestly Aew is the hottest thing about. They are using the talent wisely did you expect sting to wrestle every week. He is 61 years old so obviously you no nothing about anything really. You are just a wwe Mark

C
Honestly Aew is the hottest thing about. They are using the talent wisely did you expect sting to wrestle every week. He is 61 years old so obviously you no nothing about anything really. You are just a wwe Mark

The right thing to do with Sting would have been to use him once and a while on major event in matches that would elevate some of the younger guys. At his age, he's a special attraction not a guy you put on tv every single week. By using him every single week, even in a non wrestling role, you diminish his drawing power but sadly that seem to be a foreign concept for AEW mark like yourself.

I think the fact he's been out of the ring for years and there's guys there CM Punk hasn't worked with will keep things fresh.

If Danielson signs then I'd like to see them work together as a tag-team here and there. Young Bucks, Death Triangle, Jurassic Express, FTR etc. would be some match of the night contenders at PPV's.

I probably sound like a broken record but again, when you've a stacked roster it's hard to get everyone on TV and in a meaningful way.

I agree that Sting should have been used as a special attraction, a match here and there, brought in an an enforcer to other matches etc. He's became just another part of the roster.

They've dropped the ball with Adam Page, they waited too long to pull the trigger and questionable booking has sent him back a couple of steps in my opinion.

With the talk of Bray Wyatt signing. It's just going to continue putting a squeeze on talents airtime.

At this stage, I could see a 4 Horseman angle/reunion at a PPV, Windham Rotunda w/Barry Windham v Cody Rhodes w/Arn Anderson v Shawn Spears w/Tully Blanchard v Andrade w/Ric Flair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back