• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Contract Signings: Are They Really Necessary?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
So I was watching the contract signing between Orton and Cena last night, and I got to thinking, here we go again. I knew it was only a matter of time before Rhodes and Dibase came came back to beat down Cena after being given the night of by Orton, or someone else (Big Show and Jericho) came down to kick Cena's ass. Seriously, aren't contract signings the most predictable thing in pro wrestling? There will be a lot of tension as both men sign the contract, a breif staredown, and someone is bound to go through a table. It's just the same shit over and over again. The only contract signing I can recall being able to really get into was the one between Hogan and Mcmahon years ago prior to WM 19. Seeing Vince stab Hogan with the pen, and sign the contract in his blood was just classic. Are promos and matches enough to build hype? Or do we really need redundant contract signings as another dimension to hype up a big time match?​

I sometimes wonder how WWE chooses what matches to show contract signings for and which ones they don't. But, I don't mind it too much as long as it doesn't end in some sort of a beatdown. But, if you remember, that mostly happens on Raw contract signings. Smackdown ones are fine!

How many contract signings have we seen John Cena involved in? We've seen one with J.B.L., Edge, and Randy Orton. Maybe even more but that's all I remember. The contract signings have normally been between the same set of people. The set being Cena, Orton, Batista, Edge, and The Undertaker.

I bet that contract signings would be much more interesting if it wasn't always for World Title matches. I bet that seeing a contract signing between Dolph Ziggler and John Morrison for the Intercontinental Championship or one between Kofi Kingston, The Miz, and Jack Swagger for the United States Championship. I understand exactly what you mean. If contract signings were given different scenarios and were between different superstars, then it would be more interesting.

So, no... there aren't really necessary. They are just used to further storylines and making it seem like a real "fight" between the wrestlers.

They are neccessary in the sense that without them, there would probably be some kind of writer's drought. There is only so many times you can have someone come to the ring for a promo and just have an interruption, or have a simple run-in. With contract signings, you have an excuse for the stars to be at a designated place at a designated time. Are they predictable? Yes, but if we're being honest, isn't 90% of wrestling programming predictable?

I like contract signings because it's kinda like WWE's answer to a UFC weigh in. It's a good time for them to talk trash and hype the match. I like how both men have equal time to say their piece. Anyway, I think they are neccesary because it gives the writers an out. As long as contract signings aren't done the final week before the PPV, I don't think it should be taken too seriously, just standard hype.

They have had contract signings without the title in the picture, see Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho.

They are predictable, but they aren't used that often. I feel they are very effective and in last night's case I feel it definitely added to Cena vs Orton, which to me has seen a desperate lack of build-up.

Yeah, it's the same crap, but this isn't shoved down our gullets for every title match and we usually get an effective promo out of it. Much better than Orton in the ring alone while Cena comes on at 10:30 and talks with Josh Matthews, eh?

I agree, I knew where the whole thing was going on from the start. The only surprise was Big Show and Jericho. But when I saw Show and Jericho come out, I knew what all is coming up next. By the time Cedric got on the giant screen, I found myself asking "Who writes this crap?" So when they announced the gauntlet part of the match I turned the main event off, because I knew who was going to win.

So now we all know that next week, the big question will be can Cena survive the gauntlet match and make it to the ppv? (Yawn) Yes, and he will keep his belt also.

I am begging WWE please give us something new.... to hell with them, I think I am done with Raw.

To me, contract signings are one of the most cheesiest scenarios I've ever seen in wrestling. Like it was said before; it's predictable, unnecessary, and should only be done on rare occasions and on very intense feuds. For example, and I'm not sure if it's been done before but imagine if Matt Hardy and Edge had a contract signing with all that hate and aggression in the air. That'll keep you on the edge (no pun intended) of your seat.

Mick Foley and Kevin Nash's contract signing a while back was pretty interesting though. Not because I felt like their feud was worth it but because Mick Foley opened up about how predictable these signings are by not making it generic and boring at the same time. He also talked about how somebody has to go through the table in the end and he put himself through it which I thought was unique.

They're a good idea in that they (allegedly) keep the combatants from fighting. Naturally though it does, but it's an unofficial setting. It allows for promos to be cut etc., without having anything officially happen between the two. What I mean by that is there's no pins or actual ring time, which saves it for later. It'll end in a brawl or the heel taking something out of the face, which saves the match for later while still moving the story forward. They're a decent idea, so why not just let them happen?

Heck no they are not it always turns out the exact same way someone is attacked of goes through the table i mean come on we all know its comin thats why we dont care about them. For example they are just like raw everyweek noone gets excited bc for the main event we r goin to see a 6 man tag every week people but next week is better we get to see cena beat 3 of the top 5 heels in the wwe right now how freakin ******ed

It's pretty much a given these days that a table plus two feuding wrestlers are a recipe for disaster. Whenever there's furniture in the ring, you know what's gonna happen. I do like the contract signings in the sense that they are sort of a throw back to the past, but they've been done so many times now that there really are no surprises.

Someone above mentioned having contract signings for matches OTHER than for world title matches. I think this is a great idea. If they did it for the IC or US belts, it would put more focus on that particular title, and perhaps make it seem more important than those championships have been portrayed in recent years. Or even if there was no title up for grabs, the match would seem that much more important.

Maybe WWE should throw us a curveball one day, and have a contract signing where there is no scrap at the end. Now THAT would be a surprise. After all, these "no physicality" clauses don't seem to help, do they?

They are neccessary in the sense that without them, there would probably be some kind of writer's drought. There is only so many times you can have someone come to the ring for a promo and just have an interruption, or have a simple run-in. With contract signings, you have an excuse for the stars to be at a designated place at a designated time. Are they predictable? Yes, but if we're being honest, isn't 90% of wrestling programming predictable?

I like contract signings because it's kinda like WWE's answer to a UFC weigh in. It's a good time for them to talk trash and hype the match. I like how both men have equal time to say their piece. Anyway, I think they are neccesary because it gives the writers an out. As long as contract signings aren't done the final week before the PPV, I don't think it should be taken too seriously, just standard hype.

I completely agree with this gent.

As long as we don't see No Way Out changed to Contracting Signing Match and have all main titles defended in three matches, I'll be fine with the occasional occurrence.

I like them, I mean you can always tell what is going to happen but as has been said, their used sparingly and get the point across so no complaints from me.

I think they are usually interesting, if the feud is given the proper build and the tension between the two competitors is off the charts. Case in point: Triple H and Batista in 2005, where H and Flair seemingly convinced Batista to go to Smackdown after he won the Royal Rumble, so as not to challenge H for the title. Batista basically destroyed HHH and gave him a crushing powerbomb through the table. Everyone knew HHH had it coming, as he berated and held back Batista week after week for a long period of time.

The most recent signing between Orton and Cena was nowhere near special, as the feud between the two is simply past tired. These two cannot generate as much heat for each other as they have in the past; they have simply pretty much used up all their material....so that's why their contract signing was not very intriguing in my opinion.

One reason WWE may do these things periodically is to possibly have an air of legitimacy and bring a little realism to the show. Big boxing matches, as well as MMA bouts, have contract signings. Why not the WWE superstars?

I don't like the current "format" of the contract signing for the exact reasons they've been mentioned -- they are predictable as hell. We all know that the table is going to be flipped over, we all know that no one is going to leave the ring in a civil manner. And we all know it's going to end up in shmoz and some kind of a match.

It's just incredibly LAZY writing by WWE "Creative" and well, these days, we really expect nothing but laziness from WWE "Creative."

But, I do like the concept of the contract signing. If used VERY sparingly (for example, just use them to promote the main event for WrestleMania) just give that match the feel of being EXTRA important.

I think WWE's best use of the contract signing dates as far back as 1987 with the Andre The Giant and Hulk Hogan contract signing to promote WrestleMania III.

First, it wasn't in the wrestling ring or in the arena. It was in an small crowded "office" in some undisclosed location (I don't think it was ever openly announced). It was Hogan on one side of the table, Andre on the other side with (then) WWF President Jack Tunney serving as the "emcee" (if you will) of the proceedings. There were a number of suits (or executives) present as well... they were just standing there, but, they gave the impression that this was so important that the executives HAD to be there. They had camera flash bulbs going wild throughout the signing making it seem like it was so important that the worldwide press were there as well. While no tables were flipped and no punches were exchanged, there were words exchanged by Andre (and Bobby Heenan representing Andre) and Hogan and they both stood up giving each other the stare down. It was intense and you were just hoping they were about to fight right there... even though they didn't... it was still VERY effective. But it proved that sometimes, less is more.

While times and the WWE certainly have changed since t1987, it's a gimmick they could still pull off effectively. Just set up the signing somewhere (without a live audience), prerecord the proceedings and play it back on The Titan Tron as "earlier today") Have the entire McMahon family there... they don't have to interact, just stand there to be witness. Use the road agents to fill out the screen as well. The GM of whichever brand (or Michael Cole for Raw) could replace Tunney as the emcee. The two wrestlers could still do all the smack talking and stare downs and it would work and be more effective than the current in-ring signing.

This week's signing was good enough for me. Much better filler than the Washington Show. The red carpet is nice, and I like any excuse for someone to be put through a table. Contract signings are always a pretend serious, business moment that you want to see explode into carnage. I like 'em.

They don't bother me. My arguement for them (at least Cena/Orton) is this... Everybody bitched about Hell in a Cell and how there's going to be 3 of those matches at the PPV and how they won't have the same effect as they usually have seeing as that match type was usually used to end long personal feuds. "The match won't have any nostalgia left." I've argued up and down all matches lose their luster anyway through time and that's totally true, but for another thread. The contract signing was a way to make the Orton/Cena feud a little more personal. Thus making the Hell in a Cell match the end to a long (sorta... 2 months and 3 PPVs could be considered long nowadays.), personal (sorta...) feud.

I like them personally. They are not done for every single PPV and like one person commented, they've also been done for non Title matches. It creates a buzz for the gold and can often revive a feud that has been going on for a while and is becoming dull.

You are going to have promo's every week for the big matches, so why not vary from the usual pattern of "one guy walks to ring, talks trash, other guy comes out". The same variety is why I like the "talk shows" like carlito's cabana, mvp's lounge, edge's the cutting edge, piper's pit, the abraham washington show, etc. If anything I think contracts are used too little in storylines these days. Anyone remember the one time where the champion (I wanna say Angle) kept an open contract backstage and Backlund chickenwinged everyone in line so he could sign the contract? Or Vince McMahon signing his name on the St Valentines Day Massacre Contract in Austin's own blood. Pure creative gold.

I'm not opposed to the idea of a contract signing straight away, but in all honesty they are very formulaic. They either have a "no violence clause" which invariably involves interference, or they don't and someone goes through the table. It's fine as a tool to get a story across, but it's incredibly lazy booking when everyone knows what is coming. The problem is that the WWE are limited in what they can do to get a rivalry across without having the combatants actually fight. Boxing and MMA don't have to worry about this because the fight is the event, they don't have 18+ hours of TV to fill between events.

I personally find contract signings a huge turn off, but in the absence of top drawer mic workers who can say something new every week, its very hard to progress a rivalry without them, or some sort of beatdown anyway. So, in short, a necessary evil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back