Confirmed: TNA Releases Matt Morgan

Good riddance.

Look, people who blame TNA for Morgan's lack of success in the company ought to think it through. If a guy like Austin Aries can come back years after his less than stellar run as Austin Starr and almost immediately be pushed into Main Event status, how come Matt Morgan couldn't do it when he's been with TNA for a lot longer in a more consistent matter?

If TNA mistreats talent, even mediocre one, how come people like Aries, Magnus, Bully, Roode and Storm were built up into something more than they used to be? If they can get pushed and be successful in TNA but Morgan can't, what does that tell you? Something is wrong with Morgan. Something, whether it's talent or backstage issues, is keeping him from being pushed like those other guys.

I highly doubt that TNA knew this guy was talented and purposely left him on the bench. No company ever does that, not even the WWE. These people have their reasons not to push somebody. Reasons beyond in-ring work. A few years ago when Joe was becoming a bigger joke than he's ever been, TNA was blamed for ruining him with bad booking. Eventually it was discovered that Joe was terrible backstage, throwing hissy fits and whatnot, which explains why he was left to rot. Nowadays he seems to be built back up and that would tell me his backstage issues are gone.

In the case of Matt Morgan, every single fan knows that something was off with this guy. He had a look, he had mic skills, he was able in the ring and yet none of us ever bought him as a threat. Here you can blame TNA's booking, but remember that there was a time when Morgan was fighting for the World Title. There was a time when he was feuding with people like Angle and Sting. There was a time when he had a (I thought) nice thing going where he held the tag championships on his own.

Morgan's been up and down the card in TNA. He's been gone, he's been irrelevant, he's been relevant, he's been in the Main Event, he's held belts, he's fought legends, he's fought nobodies. The way I see it, TNA tried EVERYTHING with Matt Morgan since his debut and despite their efforts, people never clicked with Morgan.

Sometimes companies can really mess someone over through booking, but to act like TNA never gave Morgan a shot is insane. Whatever position he was in, he was never entertaining. Can anyone say they've ever watched a good Matt Morgan match? Booking aside, Matt's matches are his business and TNA has no influence there. Can anyone even recall a few Matt Morgan matches they thought were done very well, with great psychology and the whole deal? I certainly can't.

The thing about Morgan is that his look and the fact that he stands out from the rest of the big men are really not doing him a favor, while also being his greatest characteristic. Compared to other big guys, Morgan is gold. Why? Because, generally, big guys fucking suck. They are mostly clumsy, have very little charisma since they rely so much on their look and when it comes to psychology it's always the same match with them. Therefore, Morgan shines by default.

However, compared to other wrestlers, Matt Morgan pales in comparison. Can anyone say he's as good as Aries, Roode, AJ, Joe, Bully, Hardy, Angle, Sting? I think he's not. Nowhere near it, in fact.

So, his biggest problem is that he's a big guy who is just limited and that's it. When your roster is as good as TNA's, you have to at least rival some of the top guys in order to be pushed and I don't think Morgan does.

It's not the booking, he just couldn't cut it for whatever reason. Austin Aries wasn't booked like a million bucks when he came back. All he did was get in the ring, have a few matches and the storyline wrote itself. It's because he had talent that was in your face.

When Bully Ray turned on Devon and changed his name, entering that awful storyline, despite its drawbacks Bully came out of it looking like gold and went on to be a World Champion for the first time in his career. Bully was in fact in a MUCH worse situation. People were tired of him, we've seen him do the same old shit for over a decade, he was out of shape, he was terribly boring, wasn't getting younger, he turned on Devon prolonging all of that, changed his name to something silly (at the time) and despite all of that the guy made it out looking like a million bucks because he ALSO had talent that was in your face.

Morgan was never put in that bad of a situation. He had his storylines and he just never shined as these guys did simply because he can't. Look at the WWE. They're amazing at building hype around someone but at the end of the day if you're not able to run with it and keep that momentum going using your talent, you're going to fall flat.

We've seen people get booked great and run with it and succeed. We've seen people get practically buried in shitty storylines and they still show talent, break out and succeed. With Matt Morgan, booking can only do so much. Dude's just mediocre and that's it.

Matt Morgan while i Enjoy his in ring work and he is extremely agile for someone his size he just doesnt have it. He really doesn't. He has been in TNA for what six or seven years now. All that time,TNA never gave him the all and let him run with it. Morgan has all the ability in the world,but something is lacking in him.

I think he would do well in Japan i do. They would love him down there,hes big and carved out of granite. WWE I feel is not ideal right now. WWE has new stars there developing Morgan would be quickly lost in the shuffle he doesnt deserve that. Being released from TNA i am not surprised at all. Im surprised it is just now happening. Even Though Matt blocked me on Twitter for no reason i do wish him the best of luck

Source: Wrestling Observer/Figure Four Online

(comment from Dave Meltzer or Bryan Alverez in bold)

TNA releases Matt Morgan at his request

Announced on Twitter by the company, Matt Morgan was released earlier today by TNA. He had signed a lengthy contract, but had wanted out for some time, asking for his release in the past. With TNA cost cutting, the decision was made to give him what he wanted.

It's a double edged sword. If someone wants out, generally you should let them go. However, TNA (Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff in particular) had thought he could be the man to carry the company. While Morgan never showed it past being a well conditioned big guy, outright giving up on the project when a few weeks ago he was pushed as a title contender speaks volumes.

They could never push him correctly, he never had the type of matches or match quality that spoke about him possibly being a main eventer as the only one that really pushed him vocally was Jim Cornette and he left TNA a long time ago now and they never could find suitable opponents to feud with him and for him to get over.

And the fact he wanted out at this time, and Sting sending feelers to WWE should be huge warning signs....of course considering how Dixie was so far up Vince Russo's ass for years this may of course be completely ignored

All I have to say is HALLELUJAH! Morgan has bored me to tears for some time now. He has shown flashes of potential but beyond that nah. The most recent of flashes was when he was terrorising Hogan. But when he finally got in the ring again it was the same old same old boring blueprint. And then he was put with Joey Ryan.

So then he faces Sting for #1 contender to Bully. Many wanted Morgan to win this but I was one of the few who wanted Sting to win because:

1)It made more sense in storyline (Bully screwed Sting big time)
2) Morgan is a heel, Bully is a heel
3) Morgan is god damn BORING! :lmao:

Those who wanted Morgan to face Bully ask yourselves, could their match have topped what Sting and Bully did at Slammiversary? I say no way in hell could it have!

When it comes to Morgan's TNA run I think Crimson said it best go to 2:50 in this video:

:lmao:

I think Morgan could be a really good main event heel. but I think that might be the reason for right now that he hasn't been used correctly. I don't think he really fits with Aces and Eights.
as a face I think he was wasted. but I think back to when he had both tag team titles and was a heel, and I think that was his best work. I remember when TNA had him turn on Fortune/Immortal to be a face and I think that was his worst.

The thing is, he could have been very good for TNA. He has the look and can work some good matches. His mic-work was never great, he was a little boring, but you can't be perfect. He should have been a solid person on the TNA roster but they had nothing for him.

The inevitable "Morgan to WWE" hype. To that, I say no. The WWE has better talent on their roster and are currently misusing some talented guys. They don't need to hire a TNA reject when he is never going to make a big... Impact.

If he did join then he could be in a tag-team or stable. Nothing more in my opinion.

Hmmm, just to throw it out there but what if some of these releases are a play? What, say Crimson, Morgan and Ryan (who are all linked through Matt) perform a Shield somewhere down the line - especially against a self appointed MEM? Just throwing it out there as an idea - it's not as if they haven't already done this with the Blueprint before;).

If he is actually gone... I'm not overly bothered. Morgan's biggest problem is that he cannot draw the crowd into his bouts unless he is facing one of the top guys - his matches against Crimson and Abyss stunk the place out; the Knockouts got better reactions. He is mediocre on the mic, which is a massive shame as Arn Anderson always proved that you don't have to be overly animated on the stick to excel on it. Mr Morgan is a strange one, he appears to have all the necessary attributes to be one of the best about and yet no one has ever bought it.

This release comes to me as no big loss. Te bi loss has been watchin the guy do nothing for years. Granted, he does seem to many to be missing that vital element (thanks, Christian) but a solid push could have been well worth it, as the guy can definately go. But piting him in the face of Hogan is a shoddy move. Hogan can't wrestle. It's as useful as Vickie's heat. It didnt help Morgan, it didnt help Bully... it doesnt help.

Trouble is, Matt's got a bit head, and never looked entirely confortable in his gear. As well as that he's just been around too much. When he was gone and back, I never noticed. He's just Matt Morgan who's sometimes there. I don see WWE working either. Indies or Japan could do well for the guy.

Hmmm, just to throw it out there but what if some of these releases are a play? What, say Crimson, Morgan and Ryan (who are all linked through Matt) perform a Shield somewhere down the line - especially against a self appointed MEM? Just throwing it out there as an idea - it's not as if they haven't already done this with the Blueprint before;).

I'd actually be OK with that, if it comes after the Aces & Eights story line finally comes to an end. Not sure you can have another heel stable in TNA like that while you've yet to conclude the biggest story line you've got going. Total distraction, and not in a good way.

Ryan already noted he's on good terms with TNA and that he totally understood why they did this at this time, since the opportunity to work with them in the future is still on the table.

I WOULD say that this is a work as well as the other releases, which could lead to a Shield-like storyline, but after a year of the Aces and Eights, and after several Matt Morgan returns where he gets a push for two months; that's the last thing that will happen.

I do think that he had potential. He may not be your AJ Styles', Samoa Joe's, Christopher Daniels', etc. But for a big guy, I liked him. He had a good look (that beard was doing nothing for him though), his in-ring performance was decent, and his mic skill was amazing.

The report is that he left because he actually wanted to, while Crimson and co left for a budget cut. So they did want to keep him, but Morgan didn't want to stay. Matt Morgan had his first push as Jim Cornette's body guard, followed by a guy that was rolling with the Main Event Mafia, to his push with Kurt Angle, to his fourth push after he injured Hernandez, after Carbon Foot-printing his head into the ring post, to his return at last years Bound For Glory; feuding with Hulk Hogan.

See what the problem with all those pushes were? They didn't continue. They didn't go anywhere with him after he left Cornette. After being denied from joining the Main Event Mafia, things were looking good as he then went on to actually feud with Kurt, having a good match together. Afterwards, he was forgotten. After Hernandez got his revenge on him, he was forgotten about, once again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he wasn't even doing anything WHILE Hernandez was injured. How ridiculous is that? And of course, there was this fail of a push as well.

A lot of the guys here are hating on Morgan, but it wasn't that he was a "bad Wrestler" or anything along those lines. It's just that he was given a push, and then that push or story he was in, gets dropped or doesn't end in a good way. I was actually looking forward to more Morgan-Hogan confrontations, but that was dropped. They did nothing with that story-line.

So I don't blame Matt for this, I blame the bookers, or whoever takes care of all the "he gets a push and he jobs" business, and I wish him the best of luck. I have no idea for where he would go now, but where ever he goes, he deserves a good push.

By the way, remember how D-Von's exit from the company was emphasized? What happened afterwards? He returned. So I'm 2% that this is a work. Raise it by about 10 or 20 if it is mentioned on this weeks Impact, or Destination-X.

It's amazing to see people miss the point that Morgan asked to leave and wasn't cut. and watch y'all debate his run, rather then what this could mean about the actual company?

Simply amazing :wtf:

Hmmm, just to throw it out there but what if some of these releases are a play?

Actually, you may be onto something here. I never thought about that but yes! What if the releases are just a work and all 3 guys are planning something together? They are all released from their contracts....and then one day start appearing in street clothes at live shows. Morgan and Ryan have had their problems with Management...and during his June 13th match against Parks, Crimson got on the mic to voice his displeasure at TNA. (Apparently he was told to go sit at home for 6 weeks...that they had no work for him) Now if we look at the current TNA landscape and we see MEM and A&8 fighting each other. We see AJ Styles in it for himself. If this hypothetical new faction appeared, they could focus on TNA Management directly. They're not interested in championships, they're not interested in money. Instead, they are looking to right the Hogan wrongs. When you mess with a mans livelihood by keeping locked under contract, but at the same time not using them so they don't get paid, I could see how that cause an employee to snap.

A while back, I made a comment on this forum about Morgans loss to Sting. I thought that the loss was a reflection of his own skills as a wrestler or lack therof, I now see that it was the result of his own innactivity. TNA never used Morgan or Crimson and as a result, each suffered humiliating losses to guys they should have beaten

Morgan always looked sloppy in the ring. His voice is highly annoying, his skills are basic and all he is is tall. That is it, just one big tall baboon trying to make it. Thing is, he hasn't made it. He has had a few memorable matches in TNA, that is all. He was pushed, stopped, then pushed again. Only for it to be stopped again. People can say what they want, that he is the Next Big Thing, but truth is, he is not. He is a guy who never got over.

Blame management, blame the writers, but at the end of the day, it is Morgans fault for not staying over. I'm happy he is gone as I don't have to listen to his "I just ate sandpaper" scratchy voice anymore. Good move, TNA.

It's amazing to see people miss the point that Morgan asked to leave and wasn't cut. and watch y'all debate his run, rather then what this could mean about the actual company?

Simply amazing :wtf:

Oh no, you are NOT bringing that "TNA is in bad financial shape and may shut down" crap onto MY WrestleZone.

We already went through this on a couple of thread about Crimson & Crew getting cut. They weren't doing anything with them, so they released them. There is no pointing in paying people that you're not using. That's just good business sense.

And as for Matt Morgan asking for his release? I heard that he was expecting a child soon. I doubt it's because the TNA world is crumbling down around us.

No, i wasn't suggesting talking about finances and having TNA shut down...though that is around if you look hard enough.

I was thinking more in terms of , Morgan wanted out when TNA was offering him a contract extension and were pushing him to be main eventer status. I think this says more about the direction of TNA with talent then it does about finances.

I have to say that while I have always liked Morgan, But at 36 and TNA still not ready to pull the trigger with him, its probably for the best that he trys his luck somewhere else. The only thing that really annoys me, is the fact that TNA are prepaired to let guys like Morgan and crimson go, While they continue to give TV time to guys like Bischoff, Briscoe and Robbie E.

I think it was a mixture of both him and TNA. He was given several chances to make something happen, and it never seemed to work out. I think they pulled the plug on some of his pushes too early. On the other hand Morgan just never seemed to be good at getting over. Not in any company. He has the size and the look, but no one wants to pull the trigger with him. TNA had the chance and didn't so getting rid of him was the right thing to do.

What a miserable company. Wow. Time and time again they seemed to have pushed Morgan and then they've pulled back everytime. What is wrong with these people? They hired him back and made this whole thing about him and Hulk Hogan, he was frustrated with Hulk, even wearing Hulk's cape, Hulk was giving him the rub you would think it would be a match between the two or something greater but nooo they have him job to Sting. And even jobbing to Sting I mean he was involved in a big match and then they releases him? Even when he said to Hogan, "let me be the one to take down Bully Ray" the crowd popped. So he had something, TNA pushed him on at certain occasions so they thought he had something and then they released him? Never seen a company so confused like TNA. I would understand why they would release a jobber but this guy was always booked like at least something decent.

How he could have be used since he re-signed:
-Join Aces & 8s early on.
-Start his vendetta against Hulk, leading to joining Aces & 8s.
-Start vendetta against Hulk, then turn around and he becomes the one to take down Aces & 8s.
- A- Start vendetta and it leads to Hulk vs Morgan at BFG.
B- After Hogan defeats Bully at BFG, the next in line for Hulk is Morgan.
-Joins the MEM as part of the guys that were there in 2008/09 along with Joe and Sting.

Furthermore Morgan was involved in a couple of interesting angles, when as a tweener he wanted to join the MEM and fought Angle for it, leading to a match between the two at BFG. It almost MADE Morgan! Then when he was a tag team wrestler by himself saying "we". He showed many times he had great heel charisma and could talk and be interesting and clever.

What a miserable company. Wow. Time and time again they seemed to have pushed Morgan and then they've pulled back everytime. What is wrong with these people? They hired him back and made this whole thing about him and Hulk Hogan, he was frustrated with Hulk, even wearing Hulk's cape, Hulk was giving him the rub you would think it would be a match between the two or something greater but nooo they have him job to Sting. And even jobbing to Sting I mean he was involved in a big match and then they releases him? Even when he said to Hogan, "let me be the one to take down Bully Ray" the crowd popped. So he had something, TNA pushed him on at certain occasions so they thought he had something and then they released him? Never seen a company so confused like TNA. I would understand why they would release a jobber but this guy was always booked like at least something decent.

How he could have be used since he re-signed:
-Join Aces & 8s early on.
-Start his vendetta against Hulk, leading to joining Aces & 8s.
-Start vendetta against Hulk, then turn around and he becomes the one to take down Aces & 8s.
- A- Start vendetta and it leads to Hulk vs Morgan at BFG.
B- After Hogan defeats Bully at BFG, the next in line for Hulk is Morgan.
-Joins the MEM as part of the guys that were there in 2008/09 along with Joe and Sting.

Furthermore Morgan was involved in a couple of interesting angles, when as a tweener he wanted to join the MEM and fought Angle for it, leading to a match between the two at BFG. It almost MADE Morgan! Then when he was a tag team wrestler by himself saying "we". He showed many times he had great heel charisma and could talk and be interesting and clever.

Do watch his matches. It's abundantly clear why TNA stop trying to push him time and time again. The man was on the rise in 2009 with matches with AJ Styles and Kurt Angle. He put on great performances. With guys that could work. Then his feud with Hernandez came. His feud with Crimson. 2 abysmal feuds with forgettable matches. How could TNA's "next big thing" be so underachieving that a match with Scott Steiner doesn't seem all that different from matches with more "capable" talent? He just was not impressing.

Do watch his matches. It's abundantly clear why TNA stop trying to push him time and time again. The man was on the rise in 2009 with matches with AJ Styles and Kurt Angle. He put on great performances. With guys that could work. Then his feud with Hernandez came. His feud with Crimson. 2 abysmal feuds with forgettable matches. How could TNA's "next big thing" be so underachieving that a match with Scott Steiner doesn't seem all that different from matches with more "capable" talent? He just was not impressing.

Then put him in matchs with great talent, that always works. TNA has PLENTY of great workers. Look at how the WWF pushed Hogan in the 80s. You protect your talent. Not everyone needs to be Austin Aries.

Then put him in matchs with great talent, that always works. TNA has PLENTY of great workers. Look at how the WWF pushed Hogan in the 80s. You protect your talent. Not everyone needs to be Austin Aries.
Hogan knows how to play to the crowd. No, you don't have to be Austin Aries but getting the crowd to care about you is, you know, important. Morgan couldn't do that by talking and he eventually stopped doing it with his in-ring skills. Yeah, it's sad that TNA did not do much with him the last 2 years other than slap him with someone else for a Tag Team, but he's just not a big loss at all.

Hogan knows how to play to the crowd. No, you don't have to be Austin Aries but getting the crowd to care about you is, you know, important. Morgan couldn't do that by talking and he eventually stopped doing it with his in-ring skills. Yeah, it's sad that TNA did not do much with him the last 2 years other than slap him with someone else for a Tag Team, but he's just not a big loss at all.

Who said Morgan did not get a crowd reaction? It's always the way you book these guys. People cared about what he was doing when he was trying to get into MEM in 2009. His heel work since he came back was great. They just didn't give him the opporunity to go all out.

When he said to Hogan "let me take down Bully Ray and face Aces & 8s and Hogan said "no brother"", I could just imagine the Huckster pulling a carpet bellow a young star that wants to break out. Morgan vs this group would have been far better than Sting vs Bully at Slammiversary, would have been better than Hogan vs Bully. Finally TNA would have a big man taking these guys down. You don't even need the MEM.

No TNA prefer 5 foot 6 Chris Sabin, who will have zero chance. :banghead:

Who said Morgan did not get a crowd reaction? It's always the way you book these guys. People cared about what he was doing when he was trying to get into MEM in 2009. His heel work since he came back was great. They just didn't give him the opporunity to go all out.

There's a reason I said his decline was after 2009. The man simply ran on autopilot with the hype he built up to that point .
When he said to Hogan "let me take down Bully Ray and face Aces & 8s and Hogan said "no brother"", I could just imagine the Huckster pulling a carpet bellow a young star that wants to break out.
So Hulk now has something to do with it? It's part of the show. The man just never built up much heat even though we hear he's "tall", "athletic" and such. If you're wondering why Hulk "pulled the carpet" it's because no one cared about Morgan even though he was angry, snide towards Sting and Hulk and running around with a stolen cape.
Morgan vs this group would have been far better than Sting vs Bully at Slammiversary, would have been better than Hogan vs Bully. Finally TNA would have a big man taking these guys down. You don't even need the MEM.
So you're saying there was more drawing power in Morgan vs Ray than Sting vs Ray? Stop kidding yourself.
No TNA prefer 5 foot 6 Chris Sabin, who will have zero chance. :banghead:

He's been connecting very well and wrestling greatly. Lets see if he sticks.

Wow first Crimson and now Morgan. TNA must be shying away from big men or have confidence in D.O.C. and Jay Bradley for the future. Morgan always to me was meh, but he did some good things in TNA. Maybe Direct Auto Insurance will give him a job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back