• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cody's Claim To Become IC and World Heavyweight Champion

Teddy Irving

Pre-Show Stalwart
Recently Cody has started to claim that he will be the first person since the Ultimate Warrior to hold both the IC and WHC titles at the same time. If his claim was that he would be the first to win the world title while holding the IC title since Warrior then I wouldn't see an issue.

However unless I am very much mistaken HHH held both titles in 2002 having defeated Kane in a title vs title match. Just wondering is there a reason why the WWE are not including that when Cody talks about being the first to win both since the Ultimate Warrior?

Also I am already a huge fan of Rhodes so I don't need people to tell me how great he is or anything like that as I already know it :)

This is my first thread so play nice and give me some insight into why you think they aren't mentioning HHH's run, or is it that they are just focusing on winning the WHC for the first while already holding the IC title.

By the way I had a look through and couldn't find a thread on this so figured I would post it. If there is already a thread about this can some one link it to me cheers :)

I think its just purely that the first dual IC and world champion since the Ultimate Warrior makes it sounds a lot more prestigous than since HHH. Part of the reason why Cody has been so successful in bringing credibility back to the IC title has been his constant acknowledgement of its legacy dating back to the golden years. It also displays that he places just as much emphasis on retaining the IC as winnng the world again stressing the importance of the belt.

I think this is basically just an extension of his emphasis on legacy and when he does accomplish it which im fairly sure he will it will be an excellent claim and will really display he deserves his place in the main event.

Its just ypical WWE expecting the fans to froget about things when it suits them and to be fair i would never have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out so props haha

I REALLY want to see Cody vs. Goldust for the I.C. title so this wouldn't work, but if they didn't go that route, I'd say Cody as double champ vs. Randy Orton could be an AMZING match!

I too really want to see Cody vs Gold Dust at WM28, but I would definitely buy into seeing Cody Rhodes winning the WHC while still holding the IC. Of course he would then have to drop the IC so that they could have a tournament to crown a new champ.

In 02 when Trips beat Kane he wasn't technically a dual champion because the titles were unified. It was a horrible idea to scrap the I.C title, and didn't last all that long. I think Christian won a battle royal 4 or 5 months later and the title was reinstated.
So technically, if Cody wins the WWE or WHC then he would be the first to hold both since Warrior.

I think the WWE isn't mentioning HHH/Kane is because when HHH won that match, he unified the titles and the IC title became inactive. When Ultimate Warrior beat Hogan at Mania, he walked out with both titles but then the IC title was vacated, not put away in storage. I think he needs to start defending that title more because if he does the double title thing, the IC title looks more like a supporting title. He'll just vacate and there will be a battle royal/tournament for a new champion. The IC title will not gain any prestige or the right exposure. I disagree with this if they decide to do it. He needs to be in matches defending the title where the title is the prize and it means something.

it is not included as they Unified the IC and WHC Titles. Triple H did not win the IC Title, it just unifed it, along with the European and Hardcore titles, which were unified with the IC title in 2002.

Cody Rhodes is doing a super job as IC Champ, he will not be winning the WHC anytime soon. He has Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton, Sheamus, Wade Barrett, Big Show and Mark Henry all in front of him on SMckdown in the main event field. It is just a claim and nothing else, Rhodes time will come, but for now he will continue as a solid IC Champion.

In 02 when Trips beat Kane he wasn't technically a dual champion because the titles were unified. It was a horrible idea to scrap the I.C title, and didn't last all that long. I think Christian won a battle royal 4 or 5 months later and the title was reinstated.
So technically, if Cody wins the WWE or WHC then he would be the first to hold both since Warrior.

The IC Title was actually scrapped for 8 months from October 2002 through to June 2003. Was a very stupid idea to scrap the title for that time, and did nothing for the mid card talent.
Unifying the European and Hardcore titles with IC previously to that in 2002 did even morwe damage to the midcard

Cody as duel champion wouldn't work at the moment, give him time to mature really he's only been a big deal since Rey "bust Cody's nose up" before than Cody just floated around, personally if I was in creative I would have him surpass Honky for the longest IC title run, since winning the belt feud wise he's only faced Ted Jr and Booker for the belt, WWE should of have had Orton/Cody for the belt with Cody going over that would have really give the IC belt some cred in the fans eyes, but yes I'd have surpass Honky for the longest IC title run, I'd have him face Goldust at Wrestle Mania and win clean, then in a swerve I'd have Goldust/Cody join forces and chase the Tag belts maybe at Extreme Rules/Over the Limit losing both times before Cody turns heel again on Goldust maybe taking him out for a couple of month and having Goldust return in time for Summer Slam with Cody losing via DQ leading to their blow off at Night of champions with Cody going over clean and moving on to captain his team for Survivor Series and maybe having him win the 2013 Royal Rumble and going to WrestleMania as IC Champion facing the WWE/World Champion, having him job causing him to lose it maybe going crazy and add something else to gimmick that he's lost his mind and have him chase the WWE/World belt through 2013, that would be my idea of a long term character/feuds role for him.

I'd like to see Cody become both IC and WHC champion at the same time. In fantasy world I'd like to see a tournament to crown a number 1 contender that finishes after he gets the world title, give him some token defenses of the world belt until Goldust takes it from him in an upset win. Then he can drop the IC title to the number 1 contender, giving him a renewed determination for the world strap and let him demolish Goldust a month later. I think Goldie deserves the world belt at least once, even if he is just a short lived transitional champion

I reckon he should do it and the way he keeps mentioning it in his promos says to me that WWE may be considering it. Maybe not right away but soon, especially if Cody's in the Money In The Bank match and wins. That way, he can get away with holding both titles because the world title win would likely be somewhat 'cheap'.

I say why not, I think in a way it could add more value to the ic belt. Let cody hold the ic belt for a while longer. Even have him closing in on the honky tonk man's record. Does anyone know a reason why they wouldn't let Honky's record be broken? Its been standing a while. I assume its just because they don't care much for the ic belt and I know long runs are not really the norm anymore. Anyway let cody hold it, and actually defend it more often and either have him break the record or win the wwe title right before its broken, and then after he wins it make him give up the ic title where a new champ is crowned in a tournament. It would put cody at another level giving him bragging rights of being the first to win the world title while holding the ic since warrior, and the new ic champ would have a title that has new prestige to it, and could really run with it if done correctly.

The WWE has had double champions before. I think Cody has it in him to pull it off, if that doesn't cement him as a main-eventer, nothing will.

He shits all over most mid and upper carders in terms of in-ring ability and mic-skills. Why on Earth is D-Bri Smackdown's heel maineventer (along with a deserving Mark Henry) and Rhodes is the main mid-card heel? Shouldn't those roles be reversed? Hell, yes...

This sort of claim is done all of the time, it's nothing new

I can't count in the past 6 years how many mid card champions have claimed that they will be a double champion and failed at it. Look at JBL in 2006 during his feud with Rey Mysterio, as I recall he was United States champion and claimed he was going to hold both titles. I can't name anymore out of the top of my head but I am sure there have been other instances.

Rhodes just like many others before him will fall short on winning the World Heavyweight championship while he is still Intercontinental champion. Winner take all matches aren't done to much anymore in fact the last one I remember was in 2006. However Rhodes's chances are even more dimmed due to the fact that if he wins the Chamber match he will go on to Wrestlemania as champion. To me on a card that WWE wants to stack as much big names as possible I don't see Cody going to WM28, it's not something WWE seems to have an extreme desire for at the moment. Claiming he will win is simply just it build the match more and to help get the crowd more emotionally invested in the Elimination Chamber match.

Will he be World Champion one day? Yes, will he be a double champion or head to Wrestlemania as World Champion? No.

Thanks for the responses people, some good ones that actually answered the question asked and of course the useless ones that weren't even near the topic.

I do agree that Cody is destined for the World Title at some stage and I do believe they will have him beat the Honky Tonk man's record as it has been standing for a long time and Cody has been bringing back prestige to the IC title.

They also don't seem to have anyone poised to win the title of him without it losing the prestige he has built up for it. I don't think he will win the title before Mania as I am quite sure both him and Goldust want a match at Mania with eachother. It will be after that which would be just after he beats the record.

I do see the point that HHH V Kane was a unification match but did Hunter not carry around the two titles for a short while after that?

It's a fun boast made by a young, hot & rising heel on the roster. I don't really expect it to happen though because, to be honest, WWE would be screwing up some good things that they've got going.

Cody Rhodes is arguably the best thing to happen to the IC title in nearly a decade. He's done a lot to increase the relevance of the IC title and it's happened in a simple, logical way. When Cody won the title, he constantly put over the importance of the title and its lineage. He continues to do that now and it's exactly something that a champion should do, but you don't hear it often enough when it comes to mid-card titles. Cody Rhodes has been booked to look good throughout his run as champion. Again, something that's logical and simple. He's had some big feuds while he's been IC champ, such as with Randy Orton & Booker T, that did nothing but further increase Rhodes' stock. Even though he didn't come out on the winning end of his feud with Orton, he did score a few wins, delivered great matches and gave Orton all he wanted. I can't recall the last time a wrestler of Orton's stature feuded with a reigning mid-card champion.

Cody Rhodes is doing a great job where he is right now and WWE shouldn't rush to start pushing him to the main event picture. The WWE has taken its time with Cody Rhodes for close to 2 years now and it's most definitely paid off. The only way I could feesibly see Rhodes being able to do this in a way that works would be if he participated in the MITB match at WrestleMania, won the thing and cashed in the briefcase much later down the line. It's possible that could go down and I do think it's highly likely that Rhodes will be in the MITB match, but I also look for Dolph Ziggler to be in that match as well and if he is, I think he'll be the one that comes out the winner.

the best reference for C.R. would had been to HBK when he had the Euro and World titles in the WWF. tHEN THEre was Van Dam with the WWE and ECW titles. His gimmick should be that hes I-C and WHC and that hes going to be the first guy to simply accumulate titles period. Like Lance Storm in WCW.

Warrior immediately vacated his I-C title and HHH absorbed the I-C title into his WWF title. I would like to see him defending his I-C title against guys not ready for his WHC and his WHC title against maineventers. Be an interesting dynamic. Make him look pretty top notch but I would like him to restore the first I-C title belt in this case since the WHC belt does look alot better then the I-C title..

I believe this claim to be nothing more than hot air. I like Cody's growth in character acting but he also claimed he'd bring prestige back to the Intercontinental title. Apart from not having to defend the championship much and reverting the look of the belt, I don't consider it any more prestigious. This makes me think that his allusion to becoming a dual-belt holder will amount to nothing more than him blowing smoke.

So with Elimination Chamber right around the corner, and Rhodes being a significant part of that match, it has been no secret that WWE has Rhodes on a quest to gain the IC and WHC championships going into Mania. Of course, there's no definite answer that he WILL go in as double champion, or even a champion at all.

But for the sake of this topic, let's say WWE does pull the trigger and does give Rhodes the chance to hold the IC and WHC belts going in to WrestleMania 28. Would you find it believable if he not only walked in as double champion, but also defended both belts within the same night?

Furthermore, do you think that the title matches that would take place would enhance the titles or further discredit them in terms of prestige?

I personally think Rhodes should be given the ball. If there ever was a person who should walk in as IC and WHC champion only to defend them both, it should be Rhodes. Sure, he could lose one of the titles at the event, but the point is that to me that would solidify Rhodes' abilities as a main eventer. If he can put over a mid-carder like Gabriel and still go on to put on a quality match with Sheamus, that very well could be the moment for Rhodes to launch beyond a lot of the WWE top players. It would also help Rhodes become a very great heel, in my opinion.

I wasn't saying that he needed to win them before Mania or anything I was just wondering if people thought he would actually do it or if it was just a claim to gain a bit of heat.

But no I don't think he should be defending them both at Mania because although I believe Rhodes can deliver a great match him defending both could either lead to one short match so he isn't tired for the second one, or two long one's with him being gassed for the second one and not putting on the best match he can. I am not saying he would get gassed but it could be a possibility.

I think he should go to Mania with Goldust and beat him then continue on to win the WHC

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back