• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CM Punk/John Lauranitis Anything Like Stone Cold/McMahon?

wewantchange

Occasional Pre-Show
I know its probably not but i want to see ur opinions on it, it's obviously not as heated at vince/stone cold but i see a resemabence CM Punk always making fun of him, its more like the DX version vs mcmahon cuz he makes funny ass tributes like from the slammy's which was the funniest shit i've ever seen. But i do honestly see a CM Punk vs Johnny Ace storyline in the makings hopefully after Mania. I could see punk in a match say at over the limit against a big heel hopefully cena is the heel by then after mania, i see johnny ace comming out and somehow screwing CM Punk and him and cena shake hands but after all is said and done i see this being a pretty heated rivalry in a year or two depending on how long johnny ace stays cuz it seems like ace draws a shit load of heat. But even tho it will NEVER compare to stone cold/mcmahon it could still be fun to watch.

gimme ur thoughts and opinions

"I hate this whole idea that your the best, because your not..i'm the best, I'M THE BEST IN THE WORLD!"
:lol:

If anything it's like Hunter and Shawn taking the piss out of Sgt. Slaughter when he was commisioner, mostly because there is nothing too heated going on between Punk and Laurinitas. To be fair it's just Punk reiterating what most people on the Internet say about Johnny Ace, that he's boring, he does nothing exciting etc, etc but in-truth there isn't all that many similarities between Punk/Laurinitas and Austin/McMahon, asides from the fact it is rebel Champion versus man in authority.

It's nothing like Austin/McMahon.

I think the only reason Johnny Ace is on TV is so Punk can play up his anti-authority character, and for whatever reason they abandoned Trips as the authority figure.

The problem is that nobody takes Johnny Ace seriously, therefore nobody really seems to care about Punk disrespecting him.

Hadn't really seen it that way, but since you pointed it out, yeah I can totally see the resemblance. The thing is it's not uncommon for this to happen like when Randy rebelled against McMahon or Drew McIntyre against Teddy long or Edge against Computer/Vickie Guerrero. There is always going to be a star to rebel against the higher power because they feel they're being screwed and I can't really remember too far back because I'm only 18, but Steve Austin vs. McMahon may have provoked these story lines to continue as much. People like to see superstars taking on their bosses because it's something we all wish we could do in reality.

As for Punk vs. Laurinaitis, the fued could be a PG friendly version of the McMahon vs. Austin, but considering Ace's personality it probably couldn't have the same impact. Unless people can relate to having Blandy McBoring for a boss then it would take for Punk to up the ante on him. He probably can "imply" that he pissed in his coffee or hang him upside down with some rope trick and beat him with a bat like a pinata or read his text messages and reveal he's having an affair with one of the Divas and blackmail him.

Johnny Ace doesn't really piss me off that much in terms of his heel actions. I mean I dislike how he treats Ryder and Punk, but he hasn't even screwed Punk out of the title yet, unless you count Summerslam, which I don't. So I don't think Punk/Laurnitis compares to Austin/McMahon. As much as Vince was an asshole to Austin back then, Vince still had the balls to tell you why he hated Austin. He didn't think Austin was a good role model for kids and for the company. Plus Vince was actually in charge. What is Ace messing with Punk for? What's his motivation? If anything he's serving a higher power.

Lastly, this is a little off topic, but I think I'd rather see Michael Cole in charge and have Punk go after him. Atleast Cole can cut a promo.

Punk/Laurinaitis is not like Austin/McMahon, but it's obviously molded the same way -- the champion (the top dog), rebelling against authority, etc. The thing about it all is that nothing will ever really be able to replicate Austin/McMahon. Austin was the hottest thing in wrestling history and McMahon became one of the most hated heels of all time. It wasn't that we were supposed to hate McMahon based on storyline, but based on who he really was; his betrayal of Bret Hart and the like only added to his character. What does Johnny Ace have that can make him such a vilified heel? He gives Punk somewhat of a hard time, but with McMahon, you actually believed he HATED Austin, because at every turn, he was there.

Nothing will ever reach the level that McMahon and Austin were on, because that fueled the Attitude Era, that was the basis of WWF programming for years. Punk and Laurinaitis is cut from the same cloth, but it's certainly not supposed to be an imitation of what Austin and McMahon did. If that were the case, it would only be the WWE setting itself up for failure. McMahon and Austin was a one in a million scenario. Mr. McMahon wasn't something Vince meant to use on TV at first, it was something he was forced to go into because of the Screwjob, which he did for the good of his company. It was life or death for the WWF at that point, Austin and McMahon only fueled that. Punk and Laurinaitis, while I enjoy it, will never be that.

I think there could be, but people would have to take Laurinaitis as a legitimate authoritative presence in the WWE. They clearly do not... I don't think he's one of those guys that can get better over time and become a great heel figure on Raw. And why should he? He didn't exactly sign up to be an on-screen character...

The similarities between Punk and Austin are definitely there, in that they are both highly anti-authority and are changing the landscape of wrestling in a noticeable way. The similarities between Vince and Ace...not so much. Vince is one of the greatest heel presences pro wrestling has ever seen. In his best days he was the very definition of heel heat and charismatic authority.

They could do something similar, but the effect and delivery won't be anywhere near the same as it was. As good as I think Punk is, it takes two to tango...

Hulk Hogan was the hottest commodity in professional wrestling history. Just so you know.

Actually its very debatable and a 3 way argument between The Rock Austin and Hogan.

Hogan brought wrestling to the mainstream and made it cool to be a fan.

Austin breathed new life into the sport breaking most of the records Hogan put up in the 80s and beat WCW in its prime.

The Rock pretty much did what the Rock did and was the top guy during its most profitable year up until that time which was 2000 while Austin was wearing down from neck problems

Yes, its a very lame attempt to try to recreate something amazing they did years ago. Rebel babyface against corporate douchebag. But the problem is Punk is not close to being Austin, and Laurinites is no McMahon. Vince might of been the best heel character ever in wrestling.

Laurinites doesnt really do anything to make Punk's reign a living hell. And Punk just repeats everything that the IWC is saying about Johnny Ace. The whole thing feels very contrived.

I know its probably not but i want to see ur opinions on it, it's obviously not as heated at vince/stone cold but i see a resemabence CM Punk always making fun of him, its more like the DX version vs mcmahon cuz he makes funny ass tributes like from the slammy's which was the funniest shit i've ever seen. But i do honestly see a CM Punk vs Johnny Ace storyline in the makings hopefully after Mania. I could see punk in a match say at over the limit against a big heel hopefully cena is the heel by then after mania, i see johnny ace comming out and somehow screwing CM Punk and him and cena shake hands but after all is said and done i see this being a pretty heated rivalry in a year or two depending on how long johnny ace stays cuz it seems like ace draws a shit load of heat. But even tho it will NEVER compare to stone cold/mcmahon it could still be fun to watch.

I think it has the potential to be as heated as vince/stone cold. The biggest problem with that is I don't think Johnny Ace could ever get as physical as vince got in his feud. Vince was in matches and bleed out and took chair shots. I just don't see Johnny Ace doing that. However, Ace could get a wrestler like a Cena to do all the physical work for him and your idea of Ace/Cena screwing over Punk is good.

I also think the PG rating kind of restrains a feud that like from brewing. WWE probably wouldn't allow Punk to attack Ace the hospital and hit him in the head with a bed pan. Memorable events like that are still possible with the PG rating, but they are going to have to get creative and think outside the box

I need to see more aggression from Ace though. He hasn't made me want to hate him like Vince did back in the day. That can be done over time but Punk/Ace does have plenty of potential if done right.

First off, it it were Punk-Vince every monday, I would tune in just to see punk on the mic and have vince out there doing his faces. priceless. almost as cool as seeing jeff hardy jump of titan trons through tables.

Anyway, it is in a sense. It's the "reality era" angle of that type of feud segment. As I watched in chairshot reality, The funk man is a pretty hated guy. Like in real life backstage kinda stuff. So being as great punk is at bringing issues to the tv show and audience, it's gold imo.

John L is a complete ass. He is a moron when it comes to doing promos. He got punched hard in the face by cena that's awesome. But punk eats this guy alive. That promo monday he cut was fucking classic. The music, the fucking spots of his shitty wrestling, and the dancing and him saying johnny ace is hot. holy shit i almost pissed myself as that was the second best thing aside from an actual wrestling character coming back and making shit cool again

It's similar, but the WWE has done this storyline several times now. It might be entertaining, but I doubt it will be as memorable as McMahon vs Austin. Cena vs Bischoff was good, but how often does anyone bring up that feud?

i dont see it becoming like stone cold vince only bcuz it wont last as long and lauranitis has now charisma to make it interesting. it would just be cm punk bashing him and continuing to do so the thing that made vince/austin so amazing was that both played off eachother so well. john simply cant do that he cant not show let alone evoke any emotion from the fans from himself i just dont see it happening.

Mr. McMahon, to me is one the most colorful and talented characters outta the WWE. He is someone who can deliver great promos, has amazing expressions and if he wasn't the owner by god he would be a very entertaining performer.
With that being said, Punk/Laurintis is NOTHING like Austin/Vince. I get its the rebel against the leader storyline but the current feud is not even in the same stratosphere.

It's like comparing Beatles to Fall Out Boys just coz both had four members.

Fall Out Boys do have four members right? or does the fat one count as two?

I miss McMahon, he really got under your skin, because we could all see him being our boss trying to screw us.

Lauranitis... has no acting talent, when he's going to screw you he makes it so obvious he's reciting a line "Ok well, punk you have to fight Alberto Del Rio, ok?" Where as McMahon would of made it sound like it was punishment, and the backtalking would become an argument.

I guess what I'm going towards, is that you're insulting the hell out of anyone by comparing them to Lauranitis, he's not hate able because his character is a son of a bitch, he's hate able because he can't act, and this is why this comparison isn't even close.

What if Punk/ACE leads to Punk/Mcmahon? It seems like they definitely were going that way or atleast someone else in power during the whole conspiracy angle. I don't know if they're going to completely drop that all together or if they are going to revisit it and complete it. I mean it was one of the biggest angles of the year and then just fizzled out after promising big things. They have still shown Ace texting not too long ago so something could still come of this. Imagine Vince comes back and has a full blown feud with Punk blatantly costing him the title. It could help Punk be elevated even more than he is now and be the face of the company for the next few years perhaps even allowing Cena to finally turn heel maybe even in the feud as Mcmahons company man. So many interesting things could come of this but it seems WWE drops everything that's hot and kill their own momentum which they already have done so I'm not expecting anything to great to come but am hoping for the best.

I can see why you would ask this question. Austin&Punk are both anti-heroes standing up to "the man".

I'm going to have to disagree, however. While Austin&Punk are similar in that reguard, that's where the likeness ends.

First off, SCSA is/was violent when it came to dealing with McMahon. He went out of his way to physically injure VKM. When that glass shattered, you just knew someone was getting their ass whipped!

On the other hand, where Austin is loud and chaotic, Punk is eloquent and methodical.

Ultimately they are in a similar situation, but have got themselves into said situation in a totally different fashion.

Had to reply to this. CM Punk is nothing like Steve Austin. Austin was a class above Punk and 10 times more popular. As for Laringitis, McMahons character is a class above his. They are nothing alike.

They fued is similar from a storyline perspective but the people involved are completely different. Punk only dreams of being Austin and I imagine Laringitis does the same.

God no, now if they kept Triple H as an authority figure on RAW and didn't have CM Punk lose to him at Night Of Champions then that would be something interesting I think. While I don't think CM Punk and Triple H can necessarily capture the mass audience that Austin and McMahon did in the late 90s, that doesn't mean that continuing their feud couldn't be successful. Again that's not to say that Laurinaitis and CM Punk's storyline isn't going to have some level of success but again let's be honest here, how many people under the age of 30 even remember who the hell Johnny (Ace) Lauriniatis was? And again let's not kid ourselves into thinking that the majority of WWE fans are puroresu aficionados because we all know that's a bunch of bull.

Until he showed up at SummerSlam this year, most of WWE's viewing audience had no idea who John Laurinaitis even was so yeah Punk/Laryngitis can't hold a candle to Austin/McMahon.

Again that's not to say that there isn't anything good about the storyline but commerical success-wise there's no comparison.

All i want to see from this is Laurinaitis now actually doing something to screw Punk over rather then being that tweener gm(even though he gets heel reactions) who barely screws faces. Costing Punk the title would really instigate the feud between these two, but its just that Laurinaitis doesn't have the mic skills to create a good GM/Superstar feud.

John Laurinitis the character has actually grown on me. At first i hated him and his delivery of lines, its gotten a bit better recently. But Laurinitis seems like someone who would fit more of like an assistant of a dominant heel corporate character. Kind of like a Pat Patterson/Gerald Brisco. They need to find someone else with a bit more better mic skills to be the dominant corporate heel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back