• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CM Punk IC champion?

ZexImmortal

Dark Match Winner
I know the title is a bit..."Loud" so before everyone pounces just hear me out

we all know about CM Punk and his caliber so i wont get into a history lesson and telling everyone what Punk is capable of.

Here's the story:

CM Punk and Paul are going at it big time, to hurt Paul, Punk should target taking away the IC title from his hands. (Current holder Curtis Axel. Paul Heyman guy)

After taking the title Punk should come out an explain why he took the IC title over a WWE title. now here's where i think everyone will begin to like it:

Punk: "I have been on top of the mountain many times, and i have battled the John Cena's the Ortons, the Bryans, and all. I have climbed the mountain...now i will make one. I have always been outspoken and i have always been a fighting champion, so sticking to my roots this title (Holds up the IC title) is worthless. it has no meaning behind it anymore and quite frankly the once built mountain collapsed. I CM Punk am not interested in past competition, i am about new challenges new and i will build a new mountain off of the ruble that once stood in its place. I targeted the IC title for two reasons. 1) i just hate Paul and 2) i want....NEW....COMPETITON. i have fought people who were hungry...i want to now fight people who are starving. With this title i can do just that, and believe me when i tell you to whom ever takes this from me...the longest WWE champion, well your future will sky rocket to the top. Cena is hungry, Orton is hungry, but guys like (Insert names) are starving. they are desperate and this is what they need, this is what you people need, this is what i need, and this is what this title needs"

In english: Punk is the perfect guy in my eyes who can fall from the main event picture but still seem main event carrying the IC title. Not only will you have someone beyond credible you will have Punk in fresh feuds for the IC Title and make people care about who holds it. get a reaction when the IC title is mentioned on a card. it will give the mid card guys a chance to dance with Punk and actually have some air time. actually have time to establish and connect with us. more importantly it'll make the IC title matter once more to a point people might just look forward to IC matches more then WWE matches.

Matches like

Punk vs Kofi (although i feel Kofi should be a main eventer by now)
Punk vs Bray
Punk vs Miz
Punk vs Tyson Kidd
Punk vs Big E

a bunch of fresh feuds ((Except Miz I think...i THINK They fought) and these people given a chance for some sort of star power, tv time, and time to become loved or hated by crowds.

and the final pay off if for what ever reason Punk just cant seem to lose it...set up a final match for best IC champion at a mania. Punk (C) vs Y2J for IC title.

what are your thoughts? why or why not?

i would just say although i love this idea i think punk is way too good to go for a mid card title i would rather see punk go for the world or wwe title

I love the promo you've written for him. And there's no doubt about him making it memorable.

The problem, and this is something you can't rectify, is what has happened over the past few years. Only the WWE title means something to the casual fans. Hell recently one of my friends who had only watched WWE up until Extreme Rules was asking me why Daniel Bryan is in the main event picture. In his words "Dude Daniel Bryan Sucks dude" and barring the repetitive use of "dude", from his viewpoint, he only cares about John Cena (except when the Rock is involved) and other such people. He wants to see people who are above average in terms of physique and size. Not technically gifted athletes. Hell in my country India, People like The Big Show, Kane, Taker, Khali, Cena, Ryback and Randy Orton will get huge pops, while CM Punk will probably get booed regardless of his face status. Even if Daniel Bryan is the most over superstar right now, Indian fans will only regard him as a glorified spot monkey. To them, the 2003-2008 era is what screams awesome for them. Anything beyond that era, regardless of how good it is, will face cynicism and negative bias from them. The only exception to this cynicism I've noticed are The Shield and possibly Kofi Kingston.

Does my typical Indian WWE fan analogy remind you of someone we know very well? Cough *McMahon* Cough. So your storyline plan seems good, but it won't happen/work well until the mindset of "certain people" change. Which unfortunately won't. My country has been facing monsoons since God knows when, but still can't prevent a minor rain from flooding the streets. Good luck trying to change their mindsets.

Noticing that I've rambled, let me come back to the point. I believe Punk should restore credibility to the IC title, as much as John Cena should pursue the WHC title. These 2 people are the only ones capable of bringing a much-needed paradigm shift to solidifying these championships as major investments. Punk as the longest reigning IC champion can be a good upper mid-card storyline, and he can have good feuds with Ziggler, Cody, Curtis Axel, Mark Henry, Kane, Wyatt among others(like you mentioned). He can surpass Honky's reign if necessary (awaiting flak and V3 rocket launchers), and create the perfect transition between low tier and upper tier feuds.

I'm extremely pleased to have seen your post with an excellent promo and good sense of logic involved. Most posters (like me) just ramble on and on about how "this should be like this and that should be like that" without covering much ground. I liked this post a lot and can't wait for the opinions of reputed posters like The Brain, Dagger Dias and Jack Hammer.

The IC title need to go to a midcarder who will regularly defend it. Axel has defended his title on a few occasions and once the Punk feud is out of the way will defend it more. But the Tag, US, WWE, WHC and Divas titles are rarely defended, they only get defended on PPV's and the Tag and US didn't get defended at Battleground. They need champions putting on regular defences based on the feuds they are in and they WWE doesn't have that atm. CM Punk is too big of a star to be involved in midcard feuds and will never be considered for defeat and he is always injured so will have a lot of time without wrestling.

First, I think fans put way too much belief in the concept that the top championship (the WWE Title) is the ONLY one that matters. Every championship means something, and it is defined by what the talent does when they're holding it, how the crowd reacts to them holding it, and how they eventually lose it. Wrestling isn't a show about ONE match. I don't tune in to watch JUST the main event, I want a whole show. When Ricky the Dragon Steamboat held the Intercontinental title, he made that title seem worth SO much. He was intense, his matches were amazing, and the crowd totally was behind his mystique, his aura as a champion and intense competitor. Steamboat was a trailblazer, and he made the Intercontinental title meaningful BY holding it. Honestly I think Axel is doing a phenomenal job as Intercontinental Champion and a serious feud with CM Punk would definitely elevate the IC title. There's no need to draw attention to the opinion that the Intercontinental Title "means less" right now, CM Punk doesn't have to "excuse" himself for holding a "lesser" title. Holding a championship means you are a champion, period.

well in this promo i wrote punk isnt excusing himself. He's saying he wants new challengers and with the WWE title he cant get that due to the brass and their "Best For Business" Attitude.

Punk is going to be the guy who takes said "Mid Card Title" and elevate it to main event status. so people dont look at it as "Its the mid card title" instead they look at it as "This title is a big deal"

the reason why guys like Punk, Cena, Bryan, Orton, and so on dont go after the IC title is because people like myself (Yes me) make those people sound bigger then a title when the title should be bigger then the person. case and point "Punk is too good for the IC title" in english he is bigger then it.

with a guy like Punk carrying it he can prove its worth and importance and we the people who hunger for new feuds and guys we havent seen on tv to get on tv, we will get just that.

Punk can bring the best out of the mid card and as i said before he can make the IC title seem very important and bring the best out of people we never even imagined could perform decent.

in the age we are in the "WWE UNIVERSE" wont invest in you if you arent already established. the universe cares about Punk and everything he does. with that he can bring momentum to the people who compete for it be it Face Punk or Heel Punk. people will finally invest their attention towards the IC title.

HHH can even try and belittle punk in ways like: You were never made to be a Face of a company.
where Punk could say: I carried that title for a whole calendar year and some . I never wanted to be the face of the WWE, i wanted to and became the face of a true champion. so you can go ahead and find a face to put on your company, just know this: while im not the face of the WWE. (Hold up IC title) I am the face...of opportunity, the face...of its future. (Pipe Bomb)

The only problem with this idea, and it is a massive problem, is CM PUNK IS A MAIN EVENTER IN WWE. Vince isnt about to drop him back down the card into meaningless mid card title matches when he has an investment to recoup on. Punk will be WWE Champion again in good time, the IC Title needs to be on the waist of guys you mentioned, mid card guys who can out on good matches. What the title is missing is a booker or sangle writer who can make a storyline arc interesting and worthy to get the belt back over again. Simple

We already have a lackuster main even scene without Cena.I mean what we have like Bryan and Orton and that's about it ( besides CM Punk ).So I think the main event scene really needs him.

Would there be some nice matches in the midcard?Sure but I'd rather see Punk in the main event, especially since hes getting there in age and is said to not want to pursue prof.wrestling for that long.Cause u know....he's there with Cena when it comes to being constantly banged up.

The problem lies with the people the OP mentioned as potential contenders for the IC title.

At the moment, the numbers against Punk are his disadvantage. Punk V any of the aforementioned contenders, aside perhaps Bray, and the challenge just isn't stimulating enough to get audiences engaged. Depending how Kane's return is handled, Bray and his family's backing going after the title could be quite good but also a bit random given that they would have effectively spent a couple of months 'converting' Kane just to go after a title that is a bit of a general aferthought.

This is one of those ideas that I love, but I also have to be realistic in regard to it and recognize that it'll never be able to happen.

I recall Roddy Piper in his prime bringing fresh excitment to the IC belt, I also recall Ric Flair promoting his holding the belt as being just as significant as his many world title reigns. It's been done with great success before.

For the WWE to have enough foresight to pull off something this awesome, they would have to consider taking a potential world title draw out of the world title picture. While this would be great news for performers who are trying to assert a greater level of dominance over the world title picture, I predict the WWE would look at this as something they'd lose money over. Of course, Punk's diehard fans would flock to his shows regardless of his place on the card. I assume that Punk's reason for fueding with anyone who involves theirself with Heyman is so that he can be in a transitional phase until his next shot at a world title.

This thread is so frustrating. So many people seem to be missing the point of this, its not about demoting Punk, its about elevating the IC Title.

At the moment, punk is no where near the WWE Title scene, with the whole Bryan, Orton and Big Show thing going on. So why not have Punk take it away from Axel, it is logical after all, he has been feuding with Heyman and his guys. So take away the title that they hold and use it, and Punk, to elevate the mid carders. Hell, maybe we can finally get that Kofi heel turn.

Or alternatively, have Punk take it from Axel, defend it successfully for around 3-4 month, taking on the likes of Ziggler, Axel, Miz and Kofi.

Then have Ryback step in and decimate Punk, take the title away and let Punk go get healed up, which then sets up a bit of a rivalry between Axel and Ryback, with Ryback taunting Axel, saying how he is clearly better than , being able to take the title away from Punk so easily. Until Axel snaps and turns face, taking on Ryback for the title and having a meaningful feud between two future stars.

Punk winning the IC title would be pointless.

We're talking about a guy, who just wrapped up a year long + WWE Championship reign this year. And the same guy feuded with the likes of The Rock, John Cena, The Undertaker, and Brock Lesnar. Punk as IC Champion would be a massive step down for him. Plus, who's worthy of being a legit challenger to Punk in the mid card? The answer is no one, because Punk has reached a level were only a select few fit the profiles of guys who are "in his league."

It's an illogical move either way you look it.

Punk will make a great IC champ. The IC championship should be as important and Punk holding it would help that. People that say Punk is too big are idiots. There shouldn't be anyone above or below a title. As long as the story is exciting and intriguing and of course believable. Alot of main eventers have gone after the IC title

What's with the Jeff Jarrett references? The promo doesn't even sound like a CM Punk Promo, so that wouldn't work. I don't even think he'd do a promo to get the title. He'd just be in a feud against Heyman, which would then send Axel out to do the work and come up short. Then again, R-Truth could also be taking the IC title soon and replace Axel as a Heyman guy.

I wouldn't mind Punk being back in the IC title picture, nor would I see it as a downgrade. Even HHH held the IC title and was still main eventing at one point in time. And Jericho is the master of switching from IC title scene to the World title scene. Plus, if for nothing else, that brings some television time back to the IC title. And maybe people will stop claiming it lost its value [though it always was and is a mid card title].

And Jericho is the master of switching from IC title scene to the World title scene. Plus, if for nothing else, that brings some television time back to the IC title. And maybe people will stop claiming it lost its value [though it always was and is a mid card title].

I love Jericho. Jericho is not on CM Punk's level. This would be a downgrade for Punk. People want to waste a part of Punk's prime on some meaningless mid-card matches for the Intercontinental Championship. How does that help him or help the people going after him? Just because you wrestle with a main event guy, it does not mean you are on there level. We learned that with Axel.

I don't get why people rack their brains so much trying to find ways to make 'X' championship so interesting. The IC title is a mid-card title. Hand it to the most entertaining guy in the mid-card.

I think it would be a waste of CM Punk. He is probably the second biggest name they have and is far too talented. Although I saw the potential in having him have a few IC title matches with Axel, I don't think there is much worth in him winning it. Punk should feuding at the very top because even the main-event needs CM Punk.

If there was going to be someone to help the IC title, a better choice would be Sheamus or Alberto Del Rio. Someone that is a credible main-eventer but is ultimately expendable.

If punk won the int. championship a lot of people would not be happy.
i wouldn't care honestly, cm punk is the go to guy if ratings are bad and big stars are hurt go to punk, now since cena will return i see cm punk dropping a little more than before, but being many site's are saying punk's gonna leave for awhile to rest up, before wrestlemania 30. so this wouldn't be a good idea at all at the moment! and for punk to return at road to wrestlemania time and win the int. championship would be terrible idea! i suggest that if punk was gonna win the belt that it should be after wrestlemania 30/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back