• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CM Punk Has Joined The Raw Commentary Team!

CM Punk; Play-by-Play or Wrestling

• Wrestling

• Play-by-Play

Results are only viewable after voting.
Punk makes the product seem a bit less sanitary and makes the product more fresh. It's a very good move by the WWE and it keeps Punk relevant.

I have to say I'm incredibly surprised though, for all the "Punk in the doghouse" he has been put in one of the most powerful positions in the entire company, a live mic, on the live A show. Vince must have a lot of faith in him.

I think this was a good idea. Punk brought something new to the Raw announcing team and it was good to hear a new voice alongside Lawler and Cole. He will make a good announcer if they decide to keep him in that role. Perhaps that could be in his future. Look at Striker for example, they just tried it when he had nothing else to do and it was a perfect fit. Punk did good too and I think he should stay on as an announcer. He's better than Lawler is these days and calling him better than Cole would be an understatement because he actually talked about the match rather than sitting there yelling vintage or mocking the internet fans. I'd like to see Punk continue announcing even after his injury heals.

I find it funny. Why? Mainly because i want to listen to him talk, something cole and King don't do for me any more.

Punk said he would be there for a while as a commentator. Not sure how long that will be, but it is fun to see them mix it up a little. Its boring to hear Lawler and Cole every Monday saying the same thing. At least Punk can bring something new to the table.

Its a great thing for a couple of reasons.

1. It keeps Punk relevant while he's not able to wrestle. Unless you're at the top of the card(and Punk hasn't been for a year now), an injury often times leaves the wrestler as an afterthought, at least in creative's eyes. Rey Mysterio returned at Summerslam 07, less then a year after winning the World Championship, and toiled in utter futility feuding with the likes of Chavo, MVP, and Finlay before being drafted to Raw to feud with Kane. He wasn't re-established until the end of his Raw run, in 2009. So Punk on commentary will keep him fresh in the eyes of viewers and relevant.

2. Hopefully, it will allow Cole to back off his heelish antics some, as Punk can take over the role of needling wrestlers. Allow cole to continue to play the Daniel Bryan/Kaval/Internet darling hater and Miz's cheerleader, but leave it at that. Punk's knowledge of the wrestling business and his obvious passion for it should allow him to be insightful as well as heel it, allowing Cole to be more of the tweener play by play announcer who can accentuate wrestler's positives rather then ripping into every face every chance he gets.

3. He's really darn funny. From his reference to Alex Riley's DUI, chanting along "Cena sucks", or basically saying what we all think of the Divas, Punk's shown that his night on NXT wasn't just a one hit wonder. We all knew he was a good talker, but his biting sarcasm is a refreshing change from Cole and Lawler.

So yes, I think Punk joining the Raw broadcast team is a great idea.

I too think it's great, if he's allowed to I think he will really help put the other guys and their storylines over as apposed to just hearing about cena and the nexus all night. I'm watching it now on sky+ after having already read the results but didn't know punk joined commentary, but I like it! My one gripe is, he sounds a little bit like Cole, similar accents and tone. Little confusing.

Hello all first time posting so bare with me. Last night watching RAW and hearing PUNK being introduced by MC as the new commentator..soon as he came down he hug MC and shook JL hand..Had me thinking bringing in Punk to commentate is he replacing MC and is MC the GM????

Hello all first time posting so bare with me. Last night watching RAW and hearing PUNK being introduced by MC as the new commentator..soon as he came down he hug MC and shook JL hand..Had me thinking bringing in Punk to commentate is he replacing MC and is MC the GM????

Punk is injured, thats the only reason why he is on commentary. He's pretty good and has freshened things up but he WILL return to in ring action when his wounds are heeled.

I dont think Cole is the GM either. How can he send himself emails for christs sake without being seen. The GM has upset Cole on a few occasions aswell. It wouldnt make sense.

The greatest fucking thing ever. My fucking GOODNESS how damn hilarious was he? I havent LOL'd at anything any commentator has said since the Bobby Heenan days, and I legit laughed like that at least four or five times the other night. He was so fucking funny he was distracting. I have no idea what happened in couple of those matches becuase I was busy laughing at CM Punk. Great, great, GREAT fucking idea. Of course I hate to have him missing ring time to do it, but while he heals up, ill definately enjoy it.

Praise Punk! I was delighted to see CM Punk at the announce table and I can't wait for more. I do however think he lacked energy on Raw this week, but he'll get used to it and find his place. I think he'll make a great permanent commentator in years to come.
I especially liked his "under the influence" reference to Alex Riley, and I also enjoyed the vague heat between Punk and Cole.

The greatest fucking thing ever. My fucking GOODNESS how damn hilarious was he? I havent LOL'd at anything any commentator has said since the Bobby Heenan days, and I legit laughed like that at least four or five times the other night. He was so fucking funny he was distracting. I have no idea what happened in couple of those matches becuase I was busy laughing at CM Punk. Great, great, GREAT fucking idea. Of course I hate to have him missing ring time to do it, but while he heals up, ill definately enjoy it.

Punk is golden on the mic. It is awesome that WWE are letting him showcase his mic skills while being injured, and he definately is a breath of fresh air on Raw. I am majorly fucking happy with this, Punk is brilliant

Really? No one's gonna criticize this move? I mean someone should.....

But I won't :p

Punk's been the best tweener I have seen since the likes of Stone Cold walked down the ramp. I am yet to see his Raw commentary debut (third world thing), but I have always admired his mic-skills and his spontaneous verbal jabs. The man definitely has the gift of the gab and as Hunter said, he's gonna make it.

I loved when R-Truth hit the spinning heel kick on Sheamus and Punk shouted "Vintage Truth"! I absolutley loved it and it makes me wanna watch raw more beacause he is on commentary

Cm punk keeps on leaking spoilers on raw tonight. It started with him mentioning a chance on a double count out and then just now about Sheamus and who he will be fighting in the final round. What do you guys think will happen to him for doing this?

He also said something about King Kofi Kingston...And then mentioned something about the initials..KKK...LOL. Maybe he is doing it on purpose its possible he isnt happy about the move...Other then that I think its refreshing new voice and hes not too bad

Oh and how at first he picked sheamus to win it all but when he realized he gave away it would be sheamus vs...dont want to spoil it if u didnt hear....he all of a sudden started voting for kofi...First time ive heard a spoiler live on air in a while

I think someone (Vince) was in his ear early on. If you noticed in the opening segment he was very much heelish, very much Punk. His last line before break was "Two kings and a Queen here at ringside, I'll let you figure it out". After they came back from break Punk sat pensive, and quiet through out the Bryan match. You can notice a very BIG change in Punk's commentary, going from being Punk to being a puppet. "So tell me King, who do you think is going to win?" That shit is stock.

Another thing is that he was insulting Cole up and down at the beginning, and now he is kissing his ass.

Oh well, at least we got a good week out of him, before Vince screwed it up.

EDIT: And also, he is layering everything in sarcasm. ALOT of sarcasm. Last week he was hating on the divas, and now he is clearly shitting on them through his teeth.

I actually think Punk is hilarious.. My favorite line was when Cena put Wendy's mascot through the table and he said something like: "Oh and he spilt my diet drink". I chuckled at that..

He is doing a good job talking up the whole "John Cena should be arrested blah blah blah" angle..

BTW, do you think we see an Otunga turn tonight??

His commentary sounds like Attitude era stuff... and I LOVE IT. I laughed pretty hard at all the facial jokes and gay references. I have noticed he's become pretty quiet the past few matches and segments. I still love CM Punk and I'm sure he'll continue to be funny as hell
p.s. also funny when he had to plug the energy drink, he sounded like he wanted to kill himself instead of promoting that crap.

What about the "facial" comment on cody rhodes? Also like the Colt Cabana shirt.

And who cares anyway if he gave up the ending for a double count out when they were already outside fighting like that? People online always say "they saw that coming" so who cares? You'll still finish watching the whole show.

What about the "facial" comment on cody rhodes? Also like the Colt Cabana shirt.

And who cares anyway if he gave up the ending for a double count out when they were already outside fighting like that? People online always say "they saw that coming" so who cares? You'll still finish watching the whole show.

I THOUGHT that was a Colt Cabana T Shirt! I wonder if Vince is gonna chew him a new asshole for wearing a non WWE shirt on TV. I was cracking up over that!!!

Colt Cabana cracks me up!!

When CM Punk retires from the ring, he will definitely have a job on Raw as a commentator. I love his commentary and I feel he could replace Jerry Lawler right now if he wanted to. CM Punk has a long career in the ring, however. That isn't a bad thing. I love seeing CM Punk wrestle. He's one of the best in the ring today. After about 8-12 years when his body begins to break down from age, he'll be welcome back to the announce table to continue his WWE legacy.

Does anyone else think they're using this TLC match tonight to write Jerry Lawler off of RAW for awhile so Punk can replace him as colour commentator? King's in the back right now getting ready so maybe they're using this time as a test to see how they like Punk/Cole together. Personally I think Punk is great on commentary even though I love him in the ring. Maybe they'll write King off for a while until Punk is ready to wrestle again and then put him back with Cole.

I love CM Punk on commentary. He's a breath of fresh air. I honestly could listen to him talk all day. IMO he's much easier to listen to the Michael Cole or Todd Grisham, and he simply knows how to turn a phrase, kinda like JR did.

It feels like he's a fan. He says the things we are all thinking. "Pin him already!!!" "What is he waiting for?" It's cool to see that from an announcer, not to mention, it seems like they brought him in to the announce team to set up tonight so there wouldn't be silence during the King/Miz match when Cole went to interfere.

and maybe I misheard...but I thought Punk said something like "I know my in ring career is over". Maybe I misheard that or didn't catch the sarcasm...but was just wondering if anyone else heard that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back