• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CM Punk, Best Wrestler Ever?

I am a Punk fan myself, but I wouldn't go that far. Sure he is great, but he has not done much in his career. He has not given us many moments to remember about him. The MITB cash in's are old now and the only one most people remember is Edge's first one. He can become one of the greatest, but that will take him a while. You can't just call someone the greatest when he has been in midcard for a damn while until now.

Like someone said before I also thought the SES was boring as hell. I also thought his feud with Big Show was boring as hell, but that could be attributed to the Big Show. Still he has had his fair share of boring storylines.

I think Punk is quite accomplished. Is he the 'GREATEST'? No. But he is very talented, and quite skilled at what he does. Its very easy for people these days to say 'So-and-so is the GREATEST' sometimes because they know how to cut a good gimmick on the mic or be so good at fighting or throw out great quips behind a commentary desk and heal pretty fast and then attack Cena. I'm not doubting Punk's abilities, I too, like what he does, it keeps me intrigued on the latest happenings in the E. I think sometimes people forget that this is a company with many, many people and Punk did have a bit of a stinker with the SES group since those people kinda fell by the wayside. That doesn't discredit him as a person, that just shows that he's only human and can get stuck in the perils of the politics of backstage. He got stuck with lemons like Mercury who got injured right off the bat, and Serena (who for whatever reason was let go. I think calling him the BEST EVER would a huge over-estimate at this point when you look at people like Bret Hart who probably have done more in history to maybe be closer to that kind of tagline, and if you were to ask CM Punk, and when he's not as his in ring persona, he'd probably say he doesn't think he's the best ever. Like I said, I don't dislike CM Punk, but the BEST EVER, no, he's just a great wrestler, and just does what he likes doing. He's not out to set any records, or prove the world any certain point. He's just doing what he dreamt of since he was a kid.

CM Punk is very good, no doubt about it. He can do it all. He is very skilled in the ring, can play a face or a heel comfortably (although I much prefer him as a bad guy), and he can talk better than almost anyone else in the business right now.

However....how long has he been at the top? Just a few years. There is no way that CM Punk can be labelled as the best wrestler ever. In years to come if he continues the fine work now he may be considered one of the better wrestlers, but until he proves some longetivity at the top he cannot be thought of as one of the best.

I cannot even name you one absolute classic of a match that Punk has had that has proven memorable to me. Yes he rarely has a bad match, but what classic has he been a part of in the WWE? He hasnt had a major long term feud over the World Title that will go down in history alongside the Rock v Austin or Hogan v Piper as one of the all time classics, and he does not have the connection with the fans as Hogan or The Rock did.

So no, CM Punk is not the best wrestler ever. He is extremely good and could get even better, but he is by far below the likes of Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, Bret Hart, Kurt Angle, The Rock, Hulk Hogan etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back