• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chris Sabin is the *NEW* TNA World Heavyweight Champion!

pepentorresHHH

Getting Noticed By Management
BPgU5afCQAEvaF_.jpg:large

Impact just ended and like last year ..... Option C gave us a New champion!

Personally I thought 4 months was long enough for Bully Ray's title reign.... I think he'll eventually get it back but right now its Sabin's time.....
As far as if it was the right call.... Cant hurt to have a new face for TNA, if it doesn't work hey put the belt back on bully or someone else....
The match itself was ok, I personally expected better considering the talent in the ring but i guess what matters is the outcome right?

Did u like the match? Was it the right call to have him win?

Discuss!!!!

I don't post a lot on here, but I thought I would this one time.

What a RIDICULOUS move by a desperate company.

Don't get me all wrong here, I actually enjoy Sabin's in-ring work, he's a fantastic performer, however, he's better suited for the X-Division, or what's left of it anyway.

Bully Ray has held the title since Lockdown, with Aces and 8's (another awful storyline) running rampant in the Impact Zone for over a year. All this...All of this payed off for...Chris Sabin to win the Title?

So now, all of a sudden i'm forced into believing that Chris Sabin is the "savior" of TNA? The match was shitty and terrible, sorry but it's true. Not one moment in that match did I go "WOW, THAT WAS AMAZING!". I expected better from these two. But the booking decision was awful.

I didn't know if he was going to do it. Bully Ray has been such a great heel champion and all this talk about Hogan coming back for one last match, would TNA put the strap on Sabin?

There was the strong logic that TNA made this Option C clause it being just a year old, it would make sense to build the clause, similar to Money In the Bank in the WWE. I was leaning toward Sabin pulling it off but. It was realistic match with Bully dominating most of the match until all hell broke loose with The Aces and 8's and Main Event Mafia, the hammer comes into play, Sabin gets if off Bully and strikes him in head high up in powerbomb position, 1,2,3 Sabin in the new champion. I marked out! It was a Holy Sh** moment for sure. Awesome to see, a great end to a fantastic story and Sabin deserves it man, he really deserves it. TNA has been totally solid the past year I'm pumped to see what happens for the rest of the summer and fall leading into Bound For Glory. Congratulation Chris Sabin!!

does HOW Sabin won factor into people thoughts and matter?

he didn't have much offense. spent most of the match getting his ass beat. I wouldn't call it anywhere near a good "wrestling" match. maybe people would have preferred that?
then once the hammer was introduced by the Aces and Eights, it was Sabin who used the hammer on Bully to then get the pin.

I don't post a lot on here, but I thought I would this one time.

What a RIDICULOUS move by a desperate company.

Don't get me all wrong here, I actually enjoy Sabin's in-ring work, he's a fantastic performer, however, he's better suited for the X-Division, or what's left of it anyway.

Bully Ray has held the title since Lockdown, with Aces and 8's (another awful storyline) running rampant in the Impact Zone for over a year. All this...All of this payed off for...Chris Sabin to win the Title?

So now, all of a sudden i'm forced into believing that Chris Sabin is the "savior" of TNA? The match was shitty and terrible, sorry but it's true. Not one moment in that match did I go "WOW, THAT WAS AMAZING!". I expected better from these two. But the booking decision was awful.

I can see why you don't post here often...

Here's the thing, after Bully Ray defeated Sting he ran a promo. In that promo he mentioned that all of TNA's heroes [Joe, Angle, Sting... you know, MEM] were no more. He claimed that none of the heroes they relied on in the past could stop them now. So why not throw in someone he doesn't know? Or at the very least, someone who has beaten him in the past. Sabin's a great choice, even if for a quick transitional championship run. Do I see him being the savior? Not really, but he's a great guy to hold the attention between now and the end of the BFG series.

Not to mention, the match was so classic and old school that having Sabin win was the ONLY way to end the match.

what a god awful move by tna! This company is making one bad move after another. Who can buy into 5'8 140 lbs. Sabin as Champion of the comany? At least Aries is gold on the mike and is ripped.

I just don't get this company. The ratings are dropping and dropping. They have in there possession the best wrestler in the world Kurt Angle, give him the damn ball again. I heard in an interview that he wasn't thrilled with how the company has been using him. Don't pull somebody off the bench to let them quarterback the team when you are losing the game. WTF TNA!?

I believe they did this for a short term ratings increase. Last year when Aries won the title, the following Impact received good ratings. This move wreaks of desperation. It looked like they pulled this decision right out of their asses last minute. They were building up AJ and his new "calf killer" and the champ just happened to be 'calfzilla.' Couldn't they have had AJ win the X title and beat calfzilla tonight. The match would have been better. The build would have been better. The story going forward would have been better.

Sabin main-eventing BFG and possible Hogan vs Bully. Looks like I'll be saving $60 bucks. Geez.

Yeah i rarely if ever say anything on here but i got to say this is just a terrible plan for TNA; Personally i thought they should of kept Austin Aries as x-division champ with the stunt he pulled dressed as suicide and then have him win the championship from Bully Ray, even when it happened i was like holy crap TNA wrote a decent story, that didn't last and they gave it back to Sabin who i am sorry is just boring. As far as the AJ Styles being the savior storyline that was cut out when they had him lose to Kurt Angle, key to being a savior is winning all of your matches. This whole storyline with aces and eights has been hey lets throw out like ten possible scenarios, start them up and scrap all of them for the worst possible one Sabin winning the title, hell isn't main event mafia around to rid bully ray of the title and aces and eights, whats the point to that now Bully doesn't have the belt anymore.

It's amazing how many hypocritical idiots are on here. You frocks bitch left and right about how TNA only uses the same guys for the World Title picture, then when someone new enters the scene, you bitch about that too. Really? And how is Sabin any different than Punk, Aries, or your spankathon hero Danny Brian? All are roughly the same size.

It's amazing how many hypocritical idiots are on here. You frocks bitch left and right about how TNA only uses the same guys for the World Title picture, then when someone new enters the scene, you bitch about that too. Really? And how is Sabin any different than Punk, Aries, or your spankathon hero Danny Brian? All are roughly the same size.

Punk, Bryan, and Aries all can wrestle, talk the talk and are exciting to watch, Sabin is a bore who looks like the David Spade of wrestling (ie. a 10 year old boy). "YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!!!"

on a side note, it would actually be great if they went back to Roode as champion.

Pretty much what Lokisbane said above me.

Punk, Aries and Bryan are far more talented wrestlers. They're fantastic in the ring, from both a technical and storytelling standpoint. They're also great on the mic and know how to work a crowd.

Chris Sabin is just another random X-Divisioner. Yes, he's a random X-Divisioner that's now world champion, but you get my point.

I had no idea how Sabin could've pulled it off when Bully started going after his knees. I'm thinking the whole time "he can't get him up for Hail Sabin if his knee is hurt" but the hammer came into play and it was Karma for Bully to lose his title the same way he won it, by getting his head bashed in with a hammer. Hopefully the Rematch won't have all the outside stuff and we really get to see Sabin vs Bully in a classic. HAIL SABIN.

This was awesome! I am not a regular watcher but after tonight I can't wait to tune in next week. TNA took the quality of their product to another level tonight.

Ratings were going nowhere with Ray as Champion and the Ace's behind him. TNA going with a feel-good story and a majorly built TV show are the right way to go to garner more interest for Impact. It makes people think that just because its free TV doesn't mean things won't be as major as a PPV. Not to mention that it shows TNA has faith in its less established stars to hold the ball even if it's for a bit. A tremendous move for TNA in my eyes.

Honestly I am not the biggest fan of Sabin. He is very good in the ring and his road to becoming the champion is a very inspirational one no doubt but other than that, I don't think there is that much to him. But TNA needed to do something like this. Their product has had absolutely no buzz around it for a while now and unlike past years where ratings stayed relatively the same (1.0 to 1.2) the ratings have actually been dropping. Will this change that? I really don't know. But I do believe that its better than doing nothing and keeping Bully as champion.

I feel as though TNA threw the chamionship on Sabin as quickly as possible so that the original TNA guy could get a world championship under his belt before he got hurt again. Chris Sabin is probably one of the best if not the best wrestler in TNA but he has a terrible history of ACL issues. He has been with the company since the beginning and deserved some high class recognition. I hope his reign lasts a month or two but I have a hard time seeing that happening, and if it does happen, his reign will be overshadowed by Aces and Eights and Main Event Mafia's fighting. Sabin deserves better than this. He and Aries could have a 2-3 month feud over the summer and brign TNA up but its just a matter of the wrong time for the wrong guy. Unless he holds the title throughout the MEM and A's&8 bullcrap and then has his 2-3 month feud with Aries.

I actually dug the underdog story. Sabin is coming off like Rey Mysterio here, and it works for me. The guy is totally relatable, charismatic and great to watch. Aces and Eights is actually interesting now, since they have some competition. Sabin is the face of TNA, and he was the right guy for the push. The moment of him holding the title up was special. It's gotta feel pretty good tonight to be a TNA fan.

I'm glad the belt is off Bully. He's grossly overrated. Everyone wanted him to be champion, but once he got the belt the ratings tanked.

It's a good move to put the belt on Sabin. I look forward to possible feuds with Austin Aries, Christopher Daniels, AJ Styles and Bobby Roode.

Still scratching my head as to why D.O.C., Matt Morgan, Crimson were released yet Garett Bischoff, Brooke Hogan and Christy Hemme have a job. Disgusting.

does HOW Sabin won factor into people thoughts and matter?

For me, it depends on what they do with Sabin going forward. Like I stated in another thread yesterday, in my opinion, TNA shouldn't do a flip flop on Sabin's title run and give it back to Bully Ray in a few weeks. Also, again in my opinion, I think TNA needs to really, really get behind Sabin in order to build him up as a very strong champion heading towards & into BFG. If TNA gives him a short and generally meaningless run then, in hindsight, detractors will use the fact that he "cheated", as he hit Ray with the hammer and needed the help of half the locker room, a little hyperbole but you get the point, in order to win. If Sabin's run is short or does at least lasts until BFG but is still thought of as lame due to weak booking of Sabin, then said detractors of this decision will tie in the way he won the title as the real "ending" of his title run before it even had a chance to start.

As for whether or not Sabin "cheated", the answer is yes. Well, at least technically. However, we've seen Aces & Eights cheat to win various times and Ray won the title in the same manner: by blasting Jeff Hardy with the hammer. The irony is that Aces & Eights, a group of "cheaters", was undone by their own tactics. Couple that with the fact that this was Sabin's first ever crack at being TNA World Heavyweight Champion, that he's endured career threatening injuries that've kept him on the shelf for nearly 2 years and that he's a 10 year veteran in TNA who has been considered part of one of the all time great teams in TNA, namely the Motor City Machine Guns, & a founding father of the X Division's glory days; then you have the recipe for a great feel good moment in the eyes of fans.

Whether or not it goes beyond anything more than a feel good moment, see James Storm's run as an example, depends on how TNA books Sabin going forward.

1 of 2 good matches on the card. good on Sabin, he's been around for ages and delivers, can't see him lasting long as the champ tho, he'll lose it within a month mark my words, probably the next impact.

Ratings were going nowhere with Ray as Champion and the Ace's behind him. TNA going with a feel-good story and a majorly built TV show are the right way to go to garner more interest for Impact. It makes people think that just because its free TV doesn't mean things won't be as major as a PPV. Not to mention that it shows TNA has faith in its less established stars to hold the ball even if it's for a bit. A tremendous move for TNA in my eyes.

Ratings will go nowhere with anyone as the champ. TNA ratings never change for the better, it has little to do with the talent, more to do with the overall lack of care factor from people producing the shows and the stupid decisions they make backstage that impact the care factor of the talent

Prior to responding, it's important to note that -- historically speaking -- I've written numerous posts greatly in favor of TNA's talent, title decisions and even acquisitions of past WWE talent. In fact, I have done so to the extent some would probably call me a "TNA mark," though I prefer to think of myself exclusively as a fan who has seen approximately 30 years of professional wrestling, which gives me a slightly greater perspective on things which have or haven't worked historically in the industry. For the most part, I think TNA could have made many far worse decisions over the years.

That said, I've been really disappointed in the TNA product the last numerous times I have tuned in. The Aces & Eights story has dragged and been utterly anti-climactic, largely because the 'gang' has been filled with -- basically -- nobodies inserted into the angle as a means of introduction to the company. The reformation of the Main Event Mafia has not interested me in the least, mostly because the faction was boring and lame the first go-round and feels (again) like a rehashed NWO angle. And the AJ Styles angle, for me, never gained traction.

Almost lost in all this is the World Title. That has been absolutely NO fault of Bully Ray. As a viewer, I find his promos entertaining, his ring work above average and have fully bought into him as World Champion. I was thrilled when he beat Sting in a match stipulating "The Icon" would never get another championship shot (because, as much as I appreciate Sting's legacy & grew up watching him, he should no longer be champion). I've even borderline enjoyed his B.S. with Brooke.

Most of all -- were they to pull back on the Aces' involvement, which utterly bores me to death -- I have been looking forward to seeing Bully face new (and old) challengers for the title. I was particularly ecstatic when it appeared he would meet Austin Aries, who used his unscrupulous means to gain the X-Division belt and, thusly, world title shot. This set up an amazing angle which had history, good tension and the popular David/Goliath story.

Then, quite suddenly, TNA tripped that genuinely intriguing storyline up by giving the X-Division belt back to Sabin. Now the guy's World Champion? Sure, it was unexpected -- but I don't feel it was necessarily in a good way.

Before anyone protests, it isn't so much that I oppose Sabin's opportunity to carry the ball. Rather, it's my frustration at how TNA went about it. On one hand, it could be argued that Sabin's rapid rise to X-Division Champion, then World champ, gives viewers the idea that "anything can happen" on these live Impact broadcasts. Perhaps it will fuel people to tune in so they don't miss anything?

On the other hand, I feel the company has put their title on a (worthy) individual without the proper emotional build-up or story required to make audiences care. Sabin winning, losing and regaining the X-Division title seemed so rushed -- which says nothing about how quickly he moved into being a World title contender, and eventual champion. It happened so fast, I haven't had much time to invest in him. Further, he's been around a really long time and (if I'm honest) I've never really cared for him. He's always just sort of been...well, boring.

If TNA wanted to give Sabin a run with the belt, I would have invested some proper time and effort into his development as a character. Had TNA wanted to build him as an underdog who consistently overcomes a size differential to win (a la Rey Misterio), I think I could have gotten behind it. Week by week, he could have overcome increasingly greater obstacles, perhaps even running an "Aces & Eights Gauntlet," having to defeat every member before finally getting to Bully Ray.

Ultimately, though, to move most X-Division wrestlers into the World Title scene requires a concerted build and effort by the company. Though these wrestlers have always been the workhorses of TNA, they've never been particularly highlighted as main-event worthy. Particularly Sabin, who -- though around for years -- has been jobbed out, sidelined and more to the point where I have seldom felt him much more than filler.

Prior to giving him the big win, I think Sabin would have been an ideal candidate for the same type of ongoing build up given Aries. From his entry into the company, right up to his eventual World title victory, the absolute best character development in TNA history was given Aries. Ultimately, regardless of his size, it made him extremely believable as champ. In stark contrast, Sabin received none of this. While I don't think he's undeserving of the win, I 100% believe it greatly undermines his believability as champ now.

Sure, it's always exciting to see someone new win the belt for the very first time, and I am glad Sabin has finally achieved top billing, even if briefly, but I still don't think he's the person to move the company out of ratings doldrums and onto the right track. For my money, a three-way feud between Bully, Aries and Roode for the belt would have been much more entertaining than this twist.

Or, if you really wanna give someone an opportunity which has been missed for a very long time, put the strap on Christopher Daniels. When given the chance, he's incredibly good in the ring, amazing on a mic and really knows how to entertain the crowd.

I'll be honest... I was shocked as hell. I marked out big time. Did the exact same thing one year prior with Roode and Aries :lmao: the match itself was nothing fancy but it made that final moment with the hammer so much better. I'd just like to add that I think it was great that Sabin cheated to win, given the circumstances! A face doing that is not something you see very often in wrestling. For what its worth I think Bully Ray has been a great world champion and top heel. I was enjoying his matches and promos very much. I seem to be in the minority there...

Now....once again it throws all these new options up. Due to the nature of the win I can only assume there will be a rematch. And I'm sure this rematch will be more along the lines of the wrestling classic we were expecting. Will Sabin drop it back to Bully? I really don't know. You have me stumped TNA, kudos for that!

If Sabin keeps the title this will make the BFG Series winner even more in doubt! Which is only a good thing IMO

what a god awful move by tna! This company is making one bad move after another. Who can buy into 5'8 140 lbs. Sabin as Champion of the comany? At least Aries is gold on the mike and is ripped.

I just don't get this company. The ratings are dropping and dropping. They have in there possession the best wrestler in the world Kurt Angle, give him the damn ball again. I heard in an interview that he wasn't thrilled with how the company has been using him. Don't pull somebody off the bench to let them quarterback the team when you are losing the game. WTF TNA!?

I believe they did this for a short term ratings increase. Last year when Aries won the title, the following Impact received good ratings. This move wreaks of desperation. It looked like they pulled this decision right out of their asses last minute. They were building up AJ and his new "calf killer" and the champ just happened to be 'calfzilla.' Couldn't they have had AJ win the X title and beat calfzilla tonight. The match would have been better. The build would have been better. The story going forward would have been better.

Sabin main-eventing BFG and possible Hogan vs Bully. Looks like I'll be saving $60 bucks. Geez.

Sabin just came back from two ACL tears. AJ could still use the calf-killer submission as a build up to defeat Chris Sabin if it came down to those two at Bound For Glory.

It's amazing that when TNA builds their young talent, there is backlash. When they bring in someone from WWE like RVD and put the belt on them, there is backlash and talk of TNA pushing WWE rejects. TNA can't catch a break from the IWC. :banghead:

I have to admit I was shocked last night, I was over an hour behind because my wife was watching other TV so in a mistake I got on wrestlezone and saw that Sabin had won the title. I then went ahead and watched the rest of the show and for whatever reason it just didn't do much for me. Namely because as others pointed our Aries had the X title and then dropped it right back to Sabin. I'm fully thinking at this point that they had plans of what to do and with the dropping of Pritchard as creative that they did a last second change of story. I do full believe had he not been let go of his position that Bully would have kept the Title and he would have beating Aries but instead Sabin was put back into it and he beat Bully. So my post might not have made much since but I'm just saying I think this was a last minute change starting last week and for the most part it just didn't work for me (oh and I cant stand the A&8's storyline either) but this just doesn't hit it for me either.

I said in the LD prior to the show starting if TNA gave him the title, whether it is a good decision or a bad one it takes courage.

I still don't believe Sabin is on the level to be a profitable World Champion, he was destroyed by Ray in the match and they really put him over as an underdog, even the main page has compared him to Zach Gowen of all people. I don't think the reign will last long, I see Ray winning the title back so I don't understand the whining and complaining that AJ Styles should have been the one to defeat Ray, which leads to my other point.

Not saying it still isn't plausible as it very much is, not like Bound for Glory is next week or anything, but had everything gone down as predicted with AJ winning the BFG Series and defeating Ray at BFG for the World Heavyweight title, dozens upon dozens of posters would have called TNA predictable. They pull this swerve out of the hat and now because it was unpredictable and you didn't see it coming it was a bad move?

Wrestling fans really are fickle to say the least.

I said in the LD prior to the show starting if TNA gave him the title, whether it is a good decision or a bad one it takes courage.

I still don't believe Sabin is on the level to be a profitable World Champion, he was destroyed by Ray in the match and they really put him over as an underdog, even the main page has compared him to Zach Gowen of all people. I don't think the reign will last long, I see Ray winning the title back so I don't understand the whining and complaining that AJ Styles should have been the one to defeat Ray, which leads to my other point.

Not saying it still isn't plausible as it very much is, not like Bound for Glory is next week or anything, but had everything gone down as predicted with AJ winning the BFG Series and defeating Ray at BFG for the World Heavyweight title, dozens upon dozens of posters would have called TNA predictable. They pull this swerve out of the hat and now because it was unpredictable and you didn't see it coming it was a bad move?

Wrestling fans really are fickle to say the least.

Who cares what the main page has to say. The people who write the headlines and articles are fans and fanboys like us except with a platform. Them making a comparison to Gowen is their opinion on a pedestal. What they say isn't the holy grail. I hope Sabin is given a long and strong reign though and proves everyone wrong. But I think it's established as of now, that the IWC is fickle! :banghead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back