• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chris Jericho- Best Wrestler in the world

airvar

Pre-Show Stalwart
Chris Jericho proved last night what it means to be a true superstar, professional, and honestly did something I didn't think was possible..

Sure there are always "Y2J" chant's here and there, but for the most part the guy gets booed out of the building EVERY night he's on raw.. He was a complete Heel throughout the nexus buildup (outside of his intro to team WWE, and his return to team WWE)

But he proved he hold's the crowd in the palm of his hand.. In a 15 minute strech he went from getting (what seemed like) one of the LOUDEST crowd reactions of the night durring his offsensive flurry, to again being booed out of the building as he cost the WWE a 2 man lead..

It really made me miss the face Chris jericho.. Don't get me wrong, Chris jericho is probably the best heel on the rooster right now, but I don't know anyone who can turn a crowd like he can.. He literally has people despising him one minute, and the next he's getting bigger pop's then anyone on the rooster..

After a show that has been critized by quite a few people, I really think they are missing some of the best preformances of the night, and Jericho's had to be one of the best.

So did you enjoy Jericho's "mini-face turn" (I know he never truly turned, but his in-ring style was very similar to his style as a face) during the 7 on 7 match?

I sure as hell did, it was one of the highlights of the night , and frankly I'm not a huge Chris Jericho mark.

Edit: If he does end up leaving, it really makes you wonder if anyone will ever be able to take his place, because there aren't many people that reach the kind of level he is on right now.

I will agree that nobody can replace Chris Jericho if/when he decides to hang up the boots. However, I wouldn't go as far as saying he's the best wrestler in the world. Guys like Kurt Angle, AJ Styles, Brian Danielson and a few others are also candidates. I would say Jericho is the best in the WWE right now, for his ability, his character, his mic-work, and his way of making anybody who steps into the ring with him look good. He's for sure one of the best in history, and I really truly hope he sticks around a long time, but I just don't see it happening. He is at the best part of his career right now, and I really don't think he'll ever resurrect Y2J or return to his status as a face. Never say never though.

Touchy subject :O, i belive that Kurt is the best wrestler to ever step in a ring, it gets broke down like this tho imo

Best Wrestler, in a mat skills base
Kurt Angle
Dean Malenko
Chris Jericho

Best Wrestler in the sence of, what wrestler would i buy a payperview for?
HBK.
Chris Jericho.
Chris Benoit. * i know his memory is pulled away from what he did in the ring from the personal issues the man had and what he done, witch is by no means right, but to me. Benoit was a superb wrestler and is in a top 5 in any mans list.*

Prehaps if i rephased it "best sports entertainer in the world" , it would be a little more accepted..

I can see where Kurt Angle put's up stiff competition, but the way I see it (argument wise) is a wrestler's job is to manipulate the crowd to do what they want.

If your a heel you want them to hate you, if your a face you want them to love you.. Mat skill's, and promo skills are just an extension of this.. A way to get to your ultimate goal

I don't know many other people who can pull off what Jericho did last night. Edge was still getting pop's after his face turn, and Orton had a slow build back into a face. Most people need a big "moment" to turn, some sort of dramatic event that changes there character, but Jericho just dosen't seem like he needs that. If he wants the crowd to cheer him, they cheer the hell out of him, and if he want's them to boo him - They boo the man out of the building..

Sure we may never see a face jericho again, but for 15 minutes , we saw what it would be like. Those 15 minutes were one of the hottest part's of the biggest match at Summerslam. I don't know if even Kurt Angle could pull that off right now, and as much as I love A.J. Styles, Bryan dainelson, ect. I don't think they can garner that kind of reaction either.

I wasn't a huge jericho mark. I always thought he was good (top 5 for sure), but I really think last night he proved he can do something nobody else right now can do , and that's make a crowd do whatever he wants them too.

I thought his run IN the match was awesome. It was great to see a quick mini face moment for Jericho.

I think anybody can be "replaced". Certain guys might leave more of an impression. But the company will move along if he does leave. AND when he retires one day. I do not think he is the best in the world though. He ALWAYS deserves to be in the conversation for sure. As well as Kurt Angle. I don't care what anyone's rankings say. I have my own opinions. I like AJ and think he is GREAT. But I don't think he is the best in the world.

IMO, mind you, it is MY opinion. LOL, I think Orton has surpassed everybody. He already will go down in history as one of the best Heels ever! He is proving right now he can be a significant Face in WWE. He is sick in the ring. Has one of if not the BEST finishers in the game. He is good on the mic and has put a lot of people over.

Taking nothing away from Jericho, I think he is one of the best! But the title of Absolute Best to me goes to Randy Orton!

Chris Jericho is a difficult wrestler to judge. I dont think he is the top of the list for mat skills, athleticism, mic skills etc but he is high up on the list for each of them. Whilst great wrestlers like Kurt Angle and Dean Malenko were flawless in the ring they didnt have the mic ability to make the fans go from love to hate in an instant like Jericho.

I would say Chris is the best wrestler in the world at the moment because he is great at everything a wrestler should be. He isnt as good as The Rock was but he is the closest we have had in a long time.

If Jericho left the WWE and wrestling all together this year I think it would be a real loss he is the only wrestler who can make me lose myself in a story and feel like a mark again.

Yes Chris Jericho is in fact the best in the world at what he does. He immediately owns any crowd he appears in front of and could wrestle a bag of flour to a 5 star match. He insults the audience to massive heat yet when he's performing "Y2J" chants break out because even those troglodytes can realize there is none left like him in all of WWE and there will neveeeeer eeeeeeveeeeeer be another agane!

jericho is probably the best heel on the rooster right now, but I don't know anyone who can turn a crowd like he can.. He literally has people despising him one minute, and the next he's getting bigger pop's then anyone on the rooster..

Ever since Orton went grey I guess Jericho has become one of the top heels on the um rooster? Why is Jericho on a rooster? Is he from the south?

But before Orton went grey, he surprassed Jericho heel wise in every way.

Comparing Orton to Jericho would be like comparing a demonic king cobra to a balding, sneaky car salesman.

Sure.. both are dirty but one is actually intimidating.

Only a twinkie would fear Jericho at this point, the dude has packed on some muscle but he's packed on some lard as well.

Chris will be hard to replace, and he puts on regular great matches. However I wouldn't go as far as to say that he's the best in the world. There's wrestlers both in WWE, as well as outside of WWE that can put on better matches. However Chris is definitely up there being able to walk the walk with each and every one inside of that ring.

Chris always delivers, or pretty much all the time to say the least. He is a reliable guy and he is a great transactional champion to both make the division and belt look credible, while still passing it on to another champion without much time with the belt himself.

The only thing that even remotely reminded me of Y2J last night was his in-ring movement. He rarely ever did an Enzuigiri during his 2009 / 2010 heel period, much less did he perform that many drop kicks. Other than that, I would really just say that it's a result of Wade Barrett being so over as a heel that Jericho automatically got the good reaction next to Wade.

And that doesn't signal anything for Jericho as a face, or even remotely turning. It just signals that Wade is getting hugely over.

Chris Jericho will be extremely hard to replace. I don't know who will replace him, quite frankly, I hope nobody does. I know, I know, WWE needs another "Chris Jericho" as soon as he retires...but still. I don't think anyone can live up to his potential, much like HBK.

Like some of the other posters, I wouldn't call Chris Jericho "The Best Wrestler", cause there really isn't one. Every wrestler is a master at his/her own thing. Like Bret Hart - mat technician and HBK - entertainer (in-ring wise.) I am a huge Chris Jericho mark as well, and Chris is actually the only guy on RAW (other than Danielson) that actually entertains me, in the ring, a lot.

Jeez seems like some people really take the 'wrestler' part of Best Wrestler in the World literally. Clearly what the guy in the OP meant was best worker. Of course by which the guy in this post means the one who can con and manipulate—hence the 'work' part in worker—the audience the best. Guys like Angle, AJ, Malenko, etc., will go down as great technicians/athletes in the ring, perhaps great entertainers even, but they won't transcend the business. The large majority of the audience doesn't emotionally invest in them and their ilk. Jericho on the other hand can make you jump up off your chairs, raise your filthy, fat, little hands in the air and scream "Go, Jericho Go!" Or with a simple change in demeanor and vocabulary get you to hate him so much that you gang up on him and try and physically assault him in the parking lot. In that way Jericho is a fantastic worker and like the OP said he may even potentially be the "Best in the World".

I actually thought the same way when the crowd chanted Y2J and Otunga tapped out. "I miss Jericho the face" But he would ruin it I guess. Chris Jericho needs to use his catch phrases "Jerichoholics" and "assclown" for the face to be more entertaining. And he needs his long hair and his beard or goatee or whatever (kind of true and joke at the same time)

i wouldn't call him the best wrestler in the world.

sadly he is outclassed by guys like kurt angle, bryan danielson, and in my own personal opinion since im a ring of honor mark, austin aries.

but, i would seriously consider him to be the most valuable piece of the WWE roster.

i see it like this, nobody can put evan bourne over like jericho can. jericho is like the terry funk of the early ecw. terry clearly loved to make the new generation into stars, and jericho has said the exact same thing about himself.

to me, this makes chris jericho not the best wrestler in the world, but one of the most vital pieces to the wwe roster, if not the most vital at this stage in the game.

Chris Jericho is truly the greatest wrestler in the world. He has been in the business for over a decade, he knows how everything works, and he could work the crowd with what ever he can do. Jericho has the best mic skills in the WWE right now and can put on great matches face or heel. He has the ability to really have a good time when he works his magic and boy does it pay off. Jericho is a wrestling god in my eyes.

And that doesn't signal anything for Jericho as a face, or even remotely turning. It just signals that Wade is getting hugely over.

I really dont see it that way at all. We all know that Chris can make absolutely anybody look good when in the ring with him. I think Wade Barrett is going to be seeing a lot more singles action in the coming months and there is only one man left who could make Barrett look like a title contender. Just like with Evan Bourne a while back WWE is using Chris to make wrestlers ready for a push seem good enough.

Really? Unless this is Chris Jericho himself, posting in character, I really don't see how anyone can sincerely believe this.

Jericho is good, very good. Some might even say he's great. I, for one, enjoy his showmanship and wrestling very much, but I would by no means say he's the best in the world, and can't think of a time I ever would have given him that title.

Right now, I believe John Cena, Triple H, Randy Orton, and The Miz are better than Jericho, and that's just to name a few.

Even if you were going to look in his past, there are plenty of other wrestlers of years past, but that could take hours, and NXT is starting soon.

Anyways, if you really think Jericho is that great, you might be a delusional mark, or you might be Chris Jericho. But I will agree he is a phenomenal asset to the WWE and a joy to watch.

Chris Jericho will be missed when he retires, it will be very hard to replace him. He has it all, he is the best wrestler in the world today. I rather him as a face because he's more free with what he can do inside the ring, which makes him look better, but he's great as heel aswell. Not many people are great as heel and face but Jericho is.

Really? Unless this is Chris Jericho himself, posting in character, I really don't see how anyone can sincerely believe this.

Jericho is good, very good. Some might even say he's great. I, for one, enjoy his showmanship and wrestling very much, but I would by no means say he's the best in the world, and can't think of a time I ever would have given him that title.

Right now, I believe John Cena, Triple H, Randy Orton, and The Miz are better than Jericho, and that's just to name a few.

Even if you were going to look in his past, there are plenty of other wrestlers of years past, but that could take hours, and NXT is starting soon.

Anyways, if you really think Jericho is that great, you might be a delusional mark, or you might be Chris Jericho. But I will agree he is a phenomenal asset to the WWE and a joy to watch.

Not a delusional mark, not even a big Chris jericho mark, and I never said he was the "best ever" - but I did say he is probably the best in the world right now.

Kurt Angle might be up there with him right now, and Orton Isn't too far behind..

As Much as I love Styles and Danielson - neither one of them can manipulate a crowd to the extent chris jericho can - Yet , I can see either one of them becoming great in the future, but right now at this moment, Dainelson is too under-exposed (Even with the summerslam match) , and Styles can't seem to be able to turn heel properly.. Sure there great in ring preformers , but this is PROFESIONAL WRESTLING..

Mat skills are one of many improtant things that help you to achieve your overall goal - manipulate the crowd in the direction you want (weather being cheered or booed).. Jericho almost always receives the desired reaction - and he proved it in a big way at summerslam and on Raw.. He goes out there and with his in - ring move's makes people cheer him.. A enzigirl, a landed lionsault - top rope and he's getting massive Y2J chants.. and just 5 minutes after getting a huge face reaction a simple kick to the gut of cena and people are booing him out of the building again.

I'm just saying nobody in the buisness right now can garner that kind of heat, or that amount of cheer's in such a short period of time.

I'm not big on "mat skills = great wrestler", because if that was the case - you might as well watch amature wrestling.. "mat skills" are just the ability to safely preform suplex's- throws, and flips from the rope's.. you want competitive wrestling based on who is the better technican watch the olympics - there you see people compete for who has the better "mat skills" and the match's aren't fixed.

Mat skills only help a pro wrestler if he can translate them into the appropriate crowd reaction.

I really dont see it that way at all. We all know that Chris can make absolutely anybody look good when in the ring with him. I think Wade Barrett is going to be seeing a lot more singles action in the coming months and there is only one man left who could make Barrett look like a title contender. Just like with Evan Bourne a while back WWE is using Chris to make wrestlers ready for a push seem good enough.

I absolutely don't see how you're not seeing it at all. But you're not addressing the thing I'm discussing in the quote?

Yes of course Chris can make anybody look good, he made Wade look good last night, even though Wade does that just fine himself. But it doesn't mean jack shit on how big a face Chris is, compared to the fact that Wade is just a more over heel as of now. Chris is still over as a heel, and definitely doesn't show the least amount of a face turn sign. Except for his in-ring abilities.

Many people can make Wade look like a title contender, and Chris is not the only one. Wade is already in the upper mid-card or hell you could say he's in the low low end of the main event card. Wade just needs that little feud to push him all the way, and Jericho is definitely not the only one.

Randy made Kofi look like gold, Wade can look great as well and be pushed, John can continue to do it. Edge and Sheamus could even do it, but they're heels and wouldn't function, because Sheamus and Edge needs to stay heels if you ask me.

Prehaps if i rephased it "best sports entertainer in the world" , it would be a little more accepted..

Yes. Most definitely. If we change to Sports Entertainer instead of wrestler, I would hands down give it to Chris Jericho. Kurt Angle may be the best pure wrestler in the business, but Jericho has him beat in mic work.

I think i may have worded it badly, I dont think for a second that Chris Jericho is going to be in a feud with Wade Barrett because Wade is a big part of RAW each week and Jericho is heading further away from the main event every week.

Most of the nexus matches this week were about outside interference or inexplicably ignoring the referees count. The one match that was clean was Chris against Wade and if i remember correctly the best wrestler Wade had beaten before now was Mark Henry. Chris did a great job in the match and the victory for Wade changed my opinion of nexus from 7 midcarders to 6 midcarders and the top heel on RAW.

I would like to see Chris, Wade feud but Wades too important and i think Chris is heading down the card along with Edge to challenge for the tag titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back