Who Wins This Match?

• Sting

• Andre the Giant

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a fifth round match in the Championship Region and it is a standard one on one match. It will be held at AT&T Stadium in Dallas, Texas. Assume one week has passed since the previous round, meaning all damage might not be healed. Starting with this round, damage will directly carry over to the next round based on the margin of victory. In other words, the more votes someone has against them, the more damage they have sustained.

temp20140402_ATTStadium_lighting_ceremony101.jpg

sting-wcw-facepaint.jpg

#2. Sting

VS.

086cef234d862ce51e8eb35954e6682a.jpg

#3. Andre the Giant

Polls will be open for six days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Let's see. We got a guy who was at 1 point the biggest and highest paid wrestler in the world, someone who was bigger than wrestling, someone who was booked as undefeated for 15 years (despite the fact there were losses in his career), and someone who at his peak was the epitome of unstoppable. On the other hand we have a top star who has lost plenty of times, he was popular on top but not so great as an individual draw (outside of a few months in late 97-early 98) and as soon as Hogan showed up got shoved into the background like he barely existed for over 2 years.

I said this in the previous thread but for this matchup it's an even better point. The guy who gave Sting the most trouble while in his prime outside of maybe Flair was undoubtedly Vader, Sting had a hell of a time trying to figure Vader out and if I'm not mistaken lost to Vader more than he beat him. Well, Andre is twice the threat Vader is and if Sting is having that much trouble in his prime with Vader then he has little to no hope against the 8th wonder of the world.

With The Undertaker I can accept as Sting was the top star and did a lot for the business but in no way can you give that same argument against Andre because Andre was not only unbeatable, he was a bigger star than Sting could ever dream of. Sting does a great job being the underdog, no question there but him beating Andre is a little to much for my taste. Ultimately this victory has Andre written all over it.

I prefer things this way; being challenged to speculate who would win in a match between two mainstays who never competed together in a match. For some matches, the argument is often "It already happened, this was the result. Easy peasy". Even though that logic doesn't always hold up, you get what I'm saying.

These legends are selling out the AT&T stadium for this one, and they're both coming from some pretty brutal matches.

Sting managed to beat The Undertaker with five votes, in a 60 minute iron man match. Assuming that they would have traded victories here and there, Undertaker would have gotten quite a few of his bigger spots in considering the result was that close. There was no easy way out of that match, you are forced to endure a sixty minute match with a crazy stiff opponent like The Undertaker.

Andre managed to knock out The Rock in a TLC match, which I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is the first time this forum has ever acknowledged that Andre the Giant could win this far in the game in a match involving a ladder. Mind you; while a ladder match might not seem as extreme as an iron man match, Andre won with only four votes after knocking out an early favorite in Brock Lesnar.

Sting and Andre will be coming into this match as a test of their heart and soul. I feel bad for whomever wins, because this one will likely not produce a winner by a large margin.

I'm going with Andre the Giant in this one.

While Andre has gone farther in past tournaments, I don't think he's ever been tested in the ways he's been tested in this tournament. Brock Lesnar was a close second in last years' tournament, and this year he took a 16 vote loss to Andre the Giant in the third round. The Rock was a region namesake, and became the first performer of such prestige to lose in this tournament in a match that many people have said would be Andre's kryptonite.

Sting's only (albeit notable) accomplishment worthy of his name thus far has been making it past The Undertaker. While that match would have surely tested Andre as well, I'm of the opinion that it would have tested Sting a Hell of a lot more than it would Andre.

Andre's come too far to stop now. If this were an iron man match, I'd be willing to hear arguments that after minute thirty Andre might start slowing down. This is a straight up match to see who can beat the other one down and pin/submit them. There's no way either man would force a dq or countout, this one would be decided in the ring to determine who is better.

While Sting was always capable of handling bigger men, he would often use reckless tactics to startle his opponents and catch them off guard. Andre isn't your cookie cutter big man, he doesn't ware himself out falling into some kind of subtle ploy by his opponent. Prime Andre was patient, collected and only took notable losses long after father time caught up with him.

Vote Andre.

Can't believe that we missed Undertaker vs Andre the Giant. Stupid me for voting Sting I guess.

Sting did beat Undertaker, but against Andre? The guy who defeated Brock Lesnar and The Rock? I don't think Sting has a lot of options. Andre wins and it seems like Andre has suddently become the favourite to win this tournament.

Sting may have defeated larger opponents in his day & was a huge force against a revolutionary heel faction, but his roll hits a giant boulder here. In short, if guys like Vader gave Sting a problem before he eventually won then Andre would seriously fuck Sting up in a first meeting or one off match like this.

Black jacket and bat worked well, but Andre would take a bite out of Sting's bat and proceed to break down the savior of WCW. I dont think a high spot cross body, roll up or Scorpion Death Lock are getting it done here.

I am not sure.

There points to be made for both. Andre just beat a mega star in The Rock, Sting is one of the biggest stars in Wrestling.

Time to leave this to Future PG.

I'm enjoying people using victories in the WZ tournament as reasons to vote for people in the WZ tournament. Very meta.

Anyway, I think there are few people who had the reach and appeal that Andre had, and as such I think that he has to go over here.

I voted Andre. I think he and Sting are very close. At his peak Sting was probably more popular than Andre was in his, though it is hard to say for sure. As far as measurable criteria go, I'd probably say that Andre was a bigger drawing card and for a much longer period of time. Both had longevity, but Andre was big and known everywhere. Sting was big in TNA, but TNA itself wasn't known despite them having Sting as a top star. And if you factor in pop culture relevance then Andre has that in spades. He was one of the few genuinely household known wrestlers in the 80's. And arguably the biggest wrestling attraction of all time.

The guy who gave Sting the most trouble while in his prime outside of maybe Flair was undoubtedly Vader, Sting had a hell of a time trying to figure Vader out and if I'm not mistaken lost to Vader more than he beat him.

It's a good thing we can look these types of things up.

Against Vader: Sting went 59-24
Against Sid: 49-7
Against Big Show/Giant: 19-18
Against John Tenta: 37-1
Against Kevin Nash: 15-15
Against Hulk Hogan: 21-3
Against Scott Steiner: 19-6
Against Meng: 20-1
Against Hercules: 18-1

Sting was a giant slayer for the majority of his career. He was an incredibly athletic guy that while note one of the 6-8 giants, was an actual power-lifter and was booked as one of the strongest guys in any promotion he worked.

Coming off a TLC match (a ridiculous stipulation for Andre) the Giant has to be in bad shape. Sting's stamina wasn't a problem at all for him.

Andre the Giant was a HUGE star, no doubt, but this is the type of match he would be booked to lose. Sting's all around fitness and speed advantage give him the win in the end.

It's a good thing we can look these types of things up.

Against Vader: Sting went 59-24
Against Sid: 49-7
Against Big Show/Giant: 19-18
Against John Tenta: 37-1
Against Kevin Nash: 15-15
Against Hulk Hogan: 21-3
Against Scott Steiner: 19-6
Against Meng: 20-1
Against Hercules: 18-1

Sting was a giant slayer for the majority of his career. He was an incredibly athletic guy that while note one of the 6-8 giants, was an actual power-lifter and was booked as one of the strongest guys in any promotion he worked.

Coming off a TLC match (a ridiculous stipulation for Andre) the Giant has to be in bad shape. Sting's stamina wasn't a problem at all for him.

Andre the Giant was a HUGE star, no doubt, but this is the type of match he would be booked to lose. Sting's all around fitness and speed advantage give him the win in the end.

I'm gonna just say it, you know I'm talking about big matches right? Flair and Steamboat wrestled hundreds of times but no one gives a shit about the 200+ that were house shows, they only care about the big matches like their Trilogy in the late 80's. Not trying to be a dick but damn near every match you listed essentially doesn't count. When it came to their story and big matches, Vader absolutely destroyed Sting at the beginning, it wasn't until later that Sting started winning those matches. Sting has never fought Andre so chances are he's going to have many of those initial problems with Andre as well and Andre is much tougher to beat than Vader is. He may be a giant slayer but he hasn't slayed ANYTHING like Andre The Giant.

The stamina argument doesn't hold much weight as Andre has done plenty of 60 minute draws in his career so in his prime this is not an issue for Andre, besides he'll EASILY slow this match right down to his tempo once he gets Sting. Andre in his prime wasn't some lumbering, slow giant that could barely walk, this is a guy who was actually quite athletic.

Andre has roughly the same damage as Sting going by the rules of the tournament (it's a 1 vote margin difference) so he's not in any worse shape than Sting is in this match.

I don't see how Sting has an advantage here. This isn't a gimmick match, this is a standard one-on-one affair and Andre is as dominant as they come. No way Sting beats him in their first match, Andre is not some regular giant, he's special.

I'm a huge Sting mark, and always have been, and would pay good money to see this happen, but it has be Andre advancing. He just flat out did not lose in his prime (pre-Hogan), and was the catalyst to take wrestling through the 80's. Sting was amazing, and highly entertaining, but he never got close to Andre.

I voted Andre because you know what, I wanna see him in the Finals.

The fucking crusties here would rant on and on about how "Oh you didn't see the 70s Andre who could do a standing moonsault or go for 45 minutes or have sex with multiple women at the same time."

Well let's see how he does with Austin.

It's Austin next right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo