Cena and Orton---The Rock-Austin Of This Era?

Edge is one of the most overrated wrestlers of this decade but that's not what this thread is about.

Orton-Cena is not the Rock vs Austin obviously but the guy who started the thread never was getting at that most if not all have missed the topic of this thread read between the lines people !

SC your right Orton-Cena is the Rock Austin of this era it's not the same in quality but the idea is that these two will be the best the WWE has to offer for the next 10 years. This isn't the first time they have waged war and it sure as hell won't be the last bank on it these two will headline Wrestlemania a few times before it's all said and done.

Orton is the mega heel of the next generation Ala Triple H of the last one he will take a similar career path Trips knew he was his successor that's why he took a vested interest in him. Cena is the mega face he will be the main draw and the face of the company for the foreseeable future like it or not this is how their dynamic is.

Onto another thing the IWC something tells me never mind I guarantee that if it existed in the so called "attitude era" that we would whine and complain about Austin and the Rock. We will never be happy because we don't know what we want first it's "Cena sucks as champ Orton's way better" and now that Orton has won it's "why do another title switch the credibility of the world titles is being shot".

It's pathetic read the archives of these boards we have taken the left right over under hell we have taken the diagonal stand on pretty much any single topic. We all know that we would find something to whine and moan about in any era so please lay off Orton and Cena and stop acting like they are an abomination to wrestling let's look at ourselves for a change.

Well on the thing of Edge been overrrated man you can see his work since he enter the main even and he was always the guy to Go. I am not saying he is the perfect wrestler but the guy is damn good, so much that even he revived Orton's career and refreshed DX when the RKO anlge was going on, He is constantly in the Main picture because he is that good when he is healty.

With that been said, like I said, even if the era is different, The Closet thing to Austin-Rock was Edge-Cena, not because of ring work (even though their last match would kill any of the Orton VS Cena matches for sure) but Edge could actually make people so mad that they will cheer for Cena even in Canada.

Edge was the Ultmate heel and it was not forced, he was really the Ultiate heel at the time and even if Cena was forced a little, they just seemed to be great rivals for each other and that was why it was made so many times. Their last match seemed forced on paper but once the bell rang, THe match was great, even with the Big Show interfering in the end it didn't lowered the quality on bit.

And well, the roles should be reversed at times, since most of the time Austin was the Face and the Rock was the Heel. Cena would be like Austin who was the Ultimate Face (Even though they are completely different, Austin=Antihero-Cena=Superhero) and Orton with the Rock - The Ultimate Heel (Rock=Corporate-Champion Orton=Leader of Legacy). Now wait, this is only in the role dept. since Charisma and Quality of Ring work is completely different.

Now hopefully their Iron Man Match is good, the stipulations seems a little to forced since it is a no Dq kind of match. Too much in favor of Orton and the stipulation also seems forced but hey, you can only hope right?

Hopefully this will be their last match (and hopefully it will go with a bang) for a while and they dont cross paths until later next year or later.

As far as how many times they've face off, yes this is Austin vs Rock, but that's it right there. This is nowhere near the level of Austin/Rock. The mic work and ring work doesn't compare to it and the fans are sick and tired of Cena and Orton fighting, where the fans oozed when Austin got in the ring with The Rock. This is the feud of the decade in the sense that they have seemed to face off almost at least once a year.

I agree with all the people saying Cena and Edge is closer, on the mic and in the ring it was better than Orton vs Cena

In 2004 if you has said Orton vs Cena would become the Austin vs Rock of this generation I would agree unfortunatly it hasnt worked out as both havent achieved there early potentail

Cena while has chrasmia coming out of his backside has never corrected the flaws in his chracter and thats why he is always booed, its not his fault the script writers who write his lame lines are at fault

There segment this week was not horrible just average but I hated it because this feud has to carry on longer which is not neccasary as its stale, boring abd there is no point throwing gimmicks at it so it goes on and on

Orton isnt interesting enough at the moment to make it interesting either, when he had that IED earlier this year maybe he would have a chance but he could not make the Batista or HHH feuds interesting after it and he isnt doing it here, he needs fresh competion to find his mojo again

Its been a terrible year for him since Mania and while it isnt all his fault a small part of it is, as he gets promo time most weeks but never creates much interest, ratings went to shit in the spring with him and Batista which is why we have the guest host idea to boost it

Austin and Rock never has the weakness or staleness Cena and Orton feud and chracters did thats why there feud cannot be compared

What makes Edge so interesting I'm sick of hearing about his in ring abilities that's just a piece of the pie not the whole thing. Is it the fact he's been the "ultimate opportunist" since January of 2006 ? people whine of workers getting "stale" yet Edge dodges the bullet if your going to criticize Orton and Cena than Edge deserves the same if not worse. The IWC just picks guys and says some are good and some suck there's no basis to any of it. Oh I know why Edge is loved it's because he's injured all the time huh ? That makes him so cool the fact that he can't stay healthy for any single year.

Face it if the Rock and Austin were here right now we all would whine and complain about them and find some reason to say they aren't very good. The IWC will never be satisfied and that's why nobody takes us seriously.

Southwind-

Edge had gotten stale and im a massive fan, thats why he is comimg back as a face he did all he could do with the ultimate opptunist chracter in the 3 years he had it and reached some incredible highs but the time had come to change just like all great wrestling chracters

When he got injured in June he was in the middle of turning face on Jericho, Edge is incredible on the mic in my opinion and he milked one last run with Cena thanks to his mic work and chemistry with Cena earlier this year despite being stale and his oppenent being very stale, he also made John Morrison look like a million bucks on a match on Smackdown and still beat him clean which is somthing not many main eventers can do with a mid carder

Orton on the other hand for me has failed to do that in terms of making me want to see his reruns with HHH ,Batista and Cena and he is more more fresh chracter wise than Edge, to be fair he wasnt booked very well but was given sufficent promo time and the odd heat building exersize

Ill give you that Orton made Ted Dibase look good against him and was masterful in his performance at Breaking Point with Cena (the only high point of there recent feud)

Just My Opinion

if terms of feud edge\cena is closer to austin\rock mainly because their feud had something to it no just random rematches if you were talking about cena vs orton from 07 them i think that i would be close to rock\austin in term of feuds

in terms of matches the orton\cena and edge\cena are pretty similiar to the rock vs austin
look edge vs cena LMS was just as good as the rock vs austin at wm 17
orton vs cena i quit as well as the tlc match were just as good as the rock vs austin at backlash 99
orton vs cena at summerslam 07 was just as good as the rock vs stone cold at wm 19
orton vs cena hell in a cell was better than the rock vs austin at rebellion 01
and edge vs cena at summerslam 06 was just as good as the rock vs austin at rebellion 01

Look believe it or not I'm a Edge fan and thoroughly enjoyed his work with Cena, that being said he has gotten stale my beef is with the pass the IWC gives him comparative to Cena and Orton.

When Edge comes back as a face I will be hooked to him again he's one of the few guys that make me want to watch wrestling nowadays that fact in itself tells you how highly I regard Adam Copeland.

Sorry, but seeing The Rock cut his promo on Smackdown last week proved to me (once again) that Cena is not (I repeat not) in Rock or Austin's league. On the other hand, Orton IS a fantastic heel, maybe even superior to HHH himself. An Orton vs. Rock or Austin feud would have been simply fantastic....too bad WWE doesn't have a top face right now, in Austin or Rock's league.

Sorry, but seeing The Rock cut his promo on Smackdown last week proved to me (once again) that Cena is not (I repeat not) in Rock or Austin's league. On the other hand, Orton IS a fantastic heel, maybe even superior to HHH himself. An Orton vs. Rock or Austin feud would have been simply fantastic....too bad WWE doesn't have a top face right now, in Austin or Rock's league.

Orton is without a doubt the best heel and maybe the best worker in the WWE at the moment I dare anybody to argue with me.

See the thing is we can't enjoy what we have because the IWC as a whole keeps looking back at the so called "glory days". We want we crave no we demand Rock vs. Austin part two guess what it's not happening with the current PG format.

I have went into threads before telling people how the PG era actually restricts talent from showing what they actually have.

Answer me this if Austin and the Rock wrestled in this era the "PG era" would we consider them legends would we even like them ?

Their gimmicks and characters would never ever work under this format, what we are asking of wrestlers today is something that they as a whole have never had to do before.

Adapting and changing is a lot harder than most people think.

You know why you a wrong in any comparison of the rivalries. You stated it yourself, it took one of them to say it on the mic for you to believe it. We never needed any confirmation from The Rock or Stone Cold, we just knew what the two had between them every time we heard them speak or saw them in the ring.

But I'm sure if Vince read your post he'd be very happy, there's no doubt that that is what he wants us to feel, that this feud is THAT huge, but it just isn't. Rock and Austin are once in a lifetime, I genuinely wish I didn't totally believe that fact, but I do, as I'm sure many many other wrestling fans do.

Answer me this if Austin and the Rock wrestled in this era the "PG era" would we consider them legends would we even like them ?

Impossible to answer obviously as it's a hypothetical. But I think you are seriously underesimating the abilities of each man, Austin's ring and mic psychology is comparible to Jake Roberts. And with Rock basically the moment they stopped him being the American Good Guy and gave him some individual expression as a character he immediately demonstrated that his charisma is off the chart. So despite the question being a hypothetical one, I gotta say that if they performed under the 'restrictions' of the format today they would still make it just as big. Don't forget, it's not every wrestler that makes it to Hollywood and not every wrestler that becomes the biggest money draw in a companies history. And those kind of talents can do it anywhere and any time.

I would say that the only feuds comparable to Rock-Austin at this time in WWE would involve HBK, HHH and Undertaker facing each other. As has already been stated in this thread, when you saw Rock v Austin you KNEW you were witnessing a feud for the ages - you didn't need to be told!!!!

Plus they feuded so rarely that it made it more special. How many times have Cena Orton faced off in the last few years? I would guess at least 7 or 8!!! That in itself has oversaturated the feud.

Also - as much as Orton will try to carry Cena to a good feud- Cena is not a Superstar in the same mould as The Rock and Austin. Now - some people will try to dispute this comment, but the figures speak for themselves. Look at the Raw viewing figures in during Rock and Austin era compared to the "Cena Era" which we are in now. 6's and 7's compared to 3's and 4's. And if anyone can tell me that the buy rate for Wrestlemania 19 - headlined by Rock and Austin - was less than any Wrestlemania headlined by Cena I will eat my ass out with a spoon!!!

On a related note, anyone else think that the Orton Cena match is going to end up a draw - therefore saving us from another title change (and Cena reign!!) but still keeping him on Raw??? I think this is the only way that Orton will keep the title... No way will Cena go to Smackdown.

It's hilarious how you think Orton will try to Cena to a good feud but I'm going to stay on topic.

There probably won't be another feud like the Rock/Austin one. Rock and Austin so few times that it was special everytime that fought. Today, superstars fight so much against each other every year that the feuds can lose their luster.

Orton is without a doubt the best heel and maybe the best worker in the WWE at the moment I dare anybody to argue with me.

See the thing is we can't enjoy what we have because the IWC as a whole keeps looking back at the so called "glory days". We want we crave no we demand Rock vs. Austin part two guess what it's not happening with the current PG format.

I have went into threads before telling people how the PG era actually restricts talent from showing what they actually have.

Their gimmicks and characters would never ever work under this format, what we are asking of wrestlers today is something that they as a whole have never had to do before.

Adapting and changing is a lot harder than most people think.

Well on the Argument of Orton been the best, well no, Jericho is the Best Heel and the best in-ring worker in the WWE. He is not in the Title picture of Raw first because he is everywhere, but if he were he will own anyone if the allowed him to do it.

For this Era Austin would be a great Heel and woul make this era the Austin Era anyway, under this format Austin would still be succesfull. Same with the corrupted People's champ as a heel or trying to find redemtion as a face, Thing is they were able to adapt.

Austin and the Rock's feud was lightening caught in a bottle. Both men had pesonalities. They werent human action figures like Cena and Orton. Also back in the late 90's/early 00's the attuide era gave SCSA and the Rock more room to be thier character the way they wanted to be. The stuff they did back then wouldn't make the light of day in today's PG era. Orton/Cena are so one dimensional. There's no substance to thier feud. SCSA and The Rock were great story tellers. That's one of the reasons Orton/Cena are noway in the leauge of SCSA and the Rock...

Now, I'm not one to sit here and pontificate on the suckiness of Orton vs. Cena (mostly because I don't not like it), but I'm not even sure if we've witnessed this eras Rock-Austin type feud. At this moment, yeah, it looks that way right now. But, two guys might come up from Florida, and blow these two out of the water. I feel like we should wait until this era has run its course, and maybe then we can say for sure. In other words, patience my friends (especially those who seem to think Cena-Orton won't match up), only time will tell. Hell, they might exceed everyones expectations, and make Austin-Rock a thing of the past, a mere footnote in the Bibliography of Wrestling History.

Well on the Argument of Orton been the best, well no, Jericho is the Best Heel and the best in-ring worker in the WWE. He is not in the Title picture of Raw first because he is everywhere, but if he were he will own anyone if the allowed him to do it.

For this Era Austin would be a great Heel and woul make this era the Austin Era anyway, under this format Austin would still be succesfull. Same with the corrupted People's champ as a heel or trying to find redemtion as a face, Thing is they were able to adapt.

Ill agree on Jericho being better and also say that Punk is better

Jericho is stuck in the upper mid card but still more entertaining than Randy at the moment

Also Punk well ive hugged his nuts on here before so I wont do it again

Fueds now cannot becompared to fueds back then. The main reason is the show split they had fueds but enough big names to keep the title scene fresh. All we see are the same ppl fighting eachother with an once in a while new face. The WWE is trying to hard to push somenames and not giving others the time they deserve. The match coming up is going to be a great match they both have what it takes to do it, BUT they each got a better opposite to use in this match Cena/Edge, Orton/HHH. Orton goes better with the veterens but I would love to see him and Edge when he returns.

To be truly one of the great rivalries you have to measure up to what I consider the Top 10 rivalries of the 20th century

10. JBL vs. Eddie Guerrero - an unexpectedly great feud from 2 unexpected main eventers
9. Mick Foley vs. Edge - great promos
8. Ric Flair vs. HHH - Flair made this rivalry work
7. Edge & Christian vs. Hardy’s vs. Dudley’s - three letters - TLC
6. Undertaker vs. Kane - great storytelling with decent "big man" matches
5. Edge vs. Matt Hardy - pure realism
4. HHH vs. Rock - great intense rivalry
3. Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels - each match could be match of the decade
2. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho - same as above
1. Steve Austin vs. Vince McMahon - total entertainment that briefly carried over from the 90's (even though the best of the feud was in the 90's, the latter part of the feud was better than anything that followed)

just a thought, what do u think?

Yeah, I feel ya on the concept. But I don't think they've had that 5 star match to really solidify themselves as a damn good feud. Rock/Austin had that match, a few times tbh. I think this 60 Minute Ironman match is promising, but the feud just isn't at THAT caliber yet.

In The Rock and Austin you had two very charismatic wrestlers who could pull off being either a heel or face, which is what carried their feud for so long, they'd do it one way round then the other. Cena isn't very good as a heel, and Orton is a truly dire face, so the longevity really isn't there. I don't think Orton really has the magnetism either to be able to really draw in the crowd the same way that Austin, Rock and even Cena do.

It's a feud that brings out the best in Orton, but I just don't think he's really on a level capable of producing a truly classic all time feud, seeing as he has failed with HHH, somebody who has acheived it with other people in the past. I'd argue that Orton - Cena is probably more like Austin - Undertaker if anything - really intense with strong gimmicky matches, but even that is a stretch to be honest with you. Judge these feuds for today, not for what they would have been yesterday.

I dont see it in these two...BUT unlike alot of the responses, Its not because Im putting the Rock and Austin on God like levels. I would just change Cena's opponent

My favorite feud of the past few years has been Cena/Edge. I think that they complimented each other so well. Their promos were intense, their matches always quality. (Especially their TLC match) and honestly could be the best fued of the last half decade.

Orton/Cena, was by no means bad at all. I enjoy it. Its also intense, their matches are also quality. But for some reason they dont have the ''Spark'' that Edge/Cena had

Now can this change with a spectacular iron man match, Yes, so we'll see how this ends. It certaintly has Orton on a huge level in my opinion, and it makes him look SO much better than his horrid feud with Trips (Since he was buried from the jump)

NO! simply NO!
why you ask? Because Rock Vs. Austin was a legendary moment in WWE history, You could as The Rock said "Feel the Electricity" You could feel their matches whether you were at the arena witnessing it yourself or sitting at home by yourself glued to the TV set. With Cena and Orton, its just gotten too recycled and old and tired. It just pales in comparison to Rock and Austin. I feel like Cena rose up the ranks way too quickly and Orton as well. Orton back then when he started, looked like a taller version of Cody Rhodes. He sold to Batista when Batista was first introduced to the WWE. There is no charisma coming off of Cena and Orton, just the same damn crap as it has been the past 3 years now. Its about time they end it. Give others a damn chance to get into the title picture. HHH is doing it now, basically now when Shawn Michaels comes back and DX reforms about once a year.
IMO they are taking prestige out of being a main eventer in the WWE.

Although Cena-Orton is no Austin Rock the reason lots of people bash them is because their personal favorites aren't being pushed.

It doesn't take that long to realize it, lots of people on these boards bitch and moan about Orton and Cena because their main motives is to bash them in order to give their guys a push.

I'm a Orton fan so I understand but let me tell you there is a reason these two are at the top and other aren't. So if you don't like it maybe you should stop watching because Randy Orton and John Cena will be leading the company for the next 10 years.

Almost but it's what WWE wants you to think. Orton and Cena certainly are the rivalry of the era, but I can't bring myself to say they're Austin and Rock. I think it might be that they've fought so many times that it's kind of gotten watered down. Rock and Austin went at it a few times but think about it: nearly every time it was EPIC. Let's see, and yes I know I'm leaving a few out:

DX In Your House, the truck match. This was the feud that made Rock's career to me. The promos and build up here were great to say the least, namely the beeper segment. You just knew it would be a war when they finally got it on. Granted the match was like eight minutes but damn it was fun for an appetizer.

Mania 15. This was the main event of Mania. That doesn't need another explanation.

Mania X7. See 15 but Rock is almost equal to Austin.

Mania 19. One of the main events.

Think about that: 3 times they've met at Mania. A lot of wrestlers would love to have an epic trilogy. These guys had a Mania trilogy. Orton and Cena could reach the epic level someday, but I think by referring to it as "the rivalry", they've hurt the credibility it's had left a lot. Rock and Austin became the rivalry rather than being told that it was the rivalry. That's where it falls short for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back