• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cena and Orton---The Rock-Austin Of This Era?

Super Crazy

CABS ARE HEEEERREEE!!
Don't delete this thread or trash it or bash me until you hear me out. After watching Raw last night I realized John Cena has made a very good point. Orton and Cena has become quite the rivalry.

In my opinion these two men work very well off of each other whether in the ring or on the mic. The promo last night while it was not great it definitely told a story. I for one was surprised that Cena and Orton actually managed to shake hands. It reminded me of Austin and the Rock. While these two were always at each others throats they still ultimately respected one another I would say. After seeing Orton and Cena shake hands it reminded me of that. Ultimately I think these two respect each other deep down and that is what makes a great rivalry in my opinion. While they may show hatred and animosity towards the other I believe that they respect each other's drive and will to do whatever it takes to be on top.

I love watching their matches/promos with each other because of their chemistry. Ultimately my point here is that maybe this can be the feud of this era. Every so often Orton and Cena will be facing off like Rock and Austin in the Attitude era. I believe that even if Cena were to lose and leave Raw that it will not be the last time we see Randy Orton vs John Cena.

Anway I was wondering what you guys think? Am I an insane moron for looking at it like this or do you see where I am coming from? Do you agree with me?

P.S. The last thread I made.. the one about Legacy...posters came in a bashed Legacy and/or DX. This thread is not to bash John Cena or Randy Orton. This is to discuss their rivalry and their chemistry in the ring and on the mic with each other.

Look man, I completely get what you are trying to say, but simply, HELL NO!

Their matches or their promos are no where near the caliber of Rock/Austin. Not even close! I'm going to refrain from bashing the two of them, but just no! Another thing is that Rock/Austin's feud was spread out over a long period of time. Orton and Cena have faced off in the last year alone about has many times as Rock and Austin did in their entire careers.

In terms of concept, however, the feuds are alike. You have the biggest face (Cena) going up against the biggest heel (Orton). Every time Rock and Austin faced each other, it was that type of match. So I guess they are alike.

Concept yes, quality is a big hell no!

That is all!

Look man, I completely get what you are trying to say, but simply, HELL NO!

Their matches or their promos are no where near the caliber of Rock/Austin. Not even close! I'm going to refrain from bashing the two of them, but just no! Another thing is that Rock/Austin's feud was spread out over a long period of time. Orton and Cena have faced off in the last year alone about has many times as Rock and Austin did in their entire careers.

In terms of concept, however, the feuds are alike. You have the biggest face (Cena) going up against the biggest heel (Orton). Every time Rock and Austin faced each other, it was that type of match. So I guess they are alike.

Concept yes, quality is a big hell no!

That is all!

I wasn't referring the feud being the same quality and what not. I meant that they feed off each other really well and work really well together. And I do realize that their feud was spread over a long period of time but whose to say that in a year or two from now we won't see Orton vs Cena renew their rivalry?

I wasn't referring the feud being the same quality and what not. I meant that they feed off each other really well and work really well together. And I do realize that their feud was spread over a long period of time but whose to say that in a year or two from now we won't see Orton vs Cena renew their rivalry?

I don't see the same amount of chemisty between them as you do. I don't think that they feed off of one another like Austin and The Rock did. The best chemistry that I have ever seen out of Cena was against HBK, but that was HBK! Sometimes, when I watch Cena/Orton, I feel like they force alot of shit and thus, their last few encounters have legendarily shit matches!

Until they can work a Match that isnt a gimmick Match really well, I wouldn't even consider this. Plus I would put Edge/Cena ahead of this by about a mile. Austin/Rock was something I dont think will ever happen again. They had perfect chemistry in the ring and on the mic, promos ect. WM 17 Austin vs Rock is 1 of my favorite top 5 matches in WWE History. I havent been impressed by 1 Cena/Orton Match "although im interested in seeing their BP Match" Edge/Cena from Unforgiven 2006 and Backlash this year were both straight up awesome. We shall see how their Iron Man Match pans out, but it has boring written all over it.

I don't see the same amount of chemisty between them as you do. I don't think that they feed off of one another like Austin and The Rock did. The best chemistry that I have ever seen out of Cena was against HBK, but that was HBK! Sometimes, when I watch Cena/Orton, I feel like they force alot of shit and thus, their last few encounters have legendarily shit matches!

I don't know what it is about them but I just see really good chemistry between them. I'm not sure how or why but it is just one of those things. I can see the WWE taking Cena and Orton and having them feud many times for the years to come. Hopefully though if and when they do meet again after this is over they will not seem forced. I respectfully agree that their matches have been slightly crappy but Cena is one of the few men that can work a good match with Orton.

Until they can work a Match that isnt a gimmick Match really well, I wouldn't even consider this. Plus I would put Edge/Cena ahead of this by about a mile. Austin/Rock was something I dont think will ever happen again. They had perfect chemistry in the ring and on the mic, promos ect. WM 17 Austin vs Rock is 1 of my favorite top 5 matches in WWE History. I havent been impressed by 1 Cena/Orton Match "although im interested in seeing their BP Match" Edge/Cena from Unforgiven 2006 and Backlash this year were both straight up awesome. We shall see how their Iron Man Match pans out, but it has boring written all over it.

You are right. Edge and Cena are miles ahead of Cena and Orton. In fact I will go as far as to say I liked that feud better. I believe that down the road that these three men will be involved with each other for the years to come. Hell with Edge supposedly coming back as a face I believe there could a be a possibility of Edge and Orton facing off at somepoint down the road. Edge and Cena have amazing chemistry and they play better off each other then anyone of this new generation/era. I look forward to see Edge and Cena face off again down the road as I do Orton and Cena.

I don't know what it is about them but I just see really good chemistry between them. I'm not sure how or why but it is just one of those things. I can see the WWE taking Cena and Orton and having them feud many times for the years to come. Hopefully though if and when they do meet again after this is over they will not seem forced. I respectfully agree that their matches have been slightly crappy but Cena is one of the few men that can work a good match with Orton.

Um, Orton's best work came from working with The Phenom, not Cena! I just see boredom on the horizon when the two of them lock it up. I have never been impressed by their matches at all. Austin/Rock was something to behold. You knew that the two of them were the absolute best of the time period and when they stepped into the ring together, it was always magic. Whether it was a promo, match, a run, or whatever. It was always entertaining to watch.

I agree with the other fellow. Edge/Cena is a lot better than Orton/Cena.

I didn't say a thing about Orton's best work being with Cena. Those words were never typed out. I know Orton's best work was with the Undertaker. Any wrestling fan knows that. Okay maybe I used the wrong comparison. I just meant that with it being the battle of the mega face and mega heel that it was similar and could be one of the feuds of the era that become memorable if it plays out again over the next couple of years and is booked correctly. I mean sure you could insert any guy to be the mega face and any guy to be the mega heel but Orton and Cena play their parts so well. Also I believe the only reason it is crap is due to the whole guest host thing. I believe with the way the creative team factors the guest host into the shows it effects the booking of Raw and it changes everything drastically.

Eh, I get what you're trying to say here SC, but I can't agree. I'm sure some people enjoy the so-called "chemistry" between these two, but I certainly am not one of them. Watching these two wrestle each other is usually worthy of a long piss break.

As far as comparing their feuds in terms of quality and impact...well, it's not even close. Rock-Austin is probably THE greatest feud of all time. Nothing will ever be able to compare to it, especially not the tired Orton-Cena feud. These two have never had a match even half as good as any time Rock and Austin faced each other. I'd love for someone to tell me of even one Cena or Orton match that can compare to any of Rock and Austin's matches.

Well, on paper this mght be true, but only on paper.

The interaction is different since Austin and the Rock faced each other with almost every variaton: Face VS Heel-Face VS Face -Heel VS Face.

Three distintive consecutive matches in my opinion does not make it the rivalry. If you get this as the Top Face against the Top Heel well, pretty much almost every rivalry for the WWE Championship will acomplish that.

On That ground I think Edge VS Cena was better to be honest, but also, Austin VS Rock defined an Era that is not only defined by their 3 Manias together but all in between them, The Intercontinental Championship rivalry, the bits at the Rumble, The Survivor Series Match for Company survival, etc. There is too much History on that rivalry to be reached.

So on paper it could be but as Intense and well done it has gone, Cena VS Orton is nowhere near Austin VS The Rock in my view.

as much as i despise austin i agree with the others, his feud with rock was and is legendary, it ranks right up there with hogan-savage, ric flair and dusty rhodes..... orton-cena's so-callled feud is a waste of tv space not to mention neither of them have an ouce of talent as compared to dwayne and old stone steve austin.

These guys ain't nothing like Rock and Austin. WWE even compared the Triple H Vs. Orton feud to The Rock Vs. Austin feud...what?. Enough with the comparisons.

Seeing Stone Cold and The Rock feud was a dream feud to me. Their rivalry had that big time feel and chemistry to it unlike John Cena and Randy Orton's. You think Cena and Orton is a dream feud? No way.

The Texas Rattlesnake Vs. The Great One > Superman Vs. The Viper

I get what you are trying to get at... They might be this generations Rock and Austin. With that said, they aren't any where near the level of Austin and The Rock. while I love Cena, he's no Rock. And Orton is nowhere near as big as Austin was. The feud that those men had was remarkable, most likely the biggest feud of all time. I'm thinking back of how big the hype was for one of their matches, and nothing that WWE can do now can compare to their feud.

Now, these two men have a chance to be this generations biggest rivalry. It will not get big until each man is freshed up in the minds of the fans. Cena is in need of change, as is Orton after Creative did what they did to him at the beginning of the year. If they could book these two right then they have a chance, just a chance of getting up there as a great feud. Why not let Cena be a dominate face, one that does take anything from anyone. And Orton becomes this sadistic heel the likes of which he was at the beginning of the year, and at breaking point. Then maybe this could get extremely good.

I'm looking forward to their match at bragging rights, I think it has a chance to be extremely good. I think each man needs a break from each other, and give some time to feud with other people so that it can be fresh when these two hook up again in the future....

Eh, I get what you're trying to say here SC, but I can't agree. I'm sure some people enjoy the so-called "chemistry" between these two, but I certainly am not one of them. Watching these two wrestle each other is usually worthy of a long piss break.

As far as comparing their feuds in terms of quality and impact...well, it's not even close. Rock-Austin is probably THE greatest feud of all time. Nothing will ever be able to compare to it, especially not the tired Orton-Cena feud. These two have never had a match even half as good as any time Rock and Austin faced each other. I'd love for someone to tell me of even one Cena or Orton match that can compare to any of Rock and Austin's matches.

To be fair Austin vs Rock from IYH DX was not very good except for the D-Lo back body drop on the windshield.

The Rock-Austin-esque feud of this era is not Cena/Orton. I'm not going to bash neither because I've enjoyed their feud thus far. There's a certain feud that I think does resemble the Rock-Austin feud though. It was simply Cena-Edge. They've had many remarkable matches and excellent promos. Their feud lasted like 3 or 4 years. They had 5 PPV matches in 2006, (one triple threat with HHH,) plus they've had many unforgettable moments on RAW. If any feud was close to Rock-Austin, it's Edge-Cena.

To be fair Austin vs Rock from IYH DX was not very good except for the D-Lo back body drop on the windshield.

That really doesn't count, that was barely even a match, it was more like an in-ring segment if any thing. It was 5 minutes long and revolved around Austin driving a truck to the ring. But you count any of their main event matches against any of Orton and Cena's and they simply pale in comparison.

i agree somewhat, the Rock and Austin matches always had me on the edge of my seat i mean the frist time they locked horns at wrestlmania and they kick out of each others finishing moves you always thought what they hell do they have to do to make the other one stay down, now given that they are some things that are they same Orton and Cena won't get there matches up to Austin and the Rock

I have to say we havent yet seen the rock vs austin of this generation since they are on the wwe roster but not yet a main eventer. Something tells me it is going to be miz vs cody rhodes but thats just a hunch since i see both are imbodying the edge that rock and austin respectifully had. Not verry often do people finish the catch phrase for a heel so out of anyone i have to say miz is halfway there but so far no one is else other then the tools orton and cena (and possiblly edge) are there.

I understand exactly where ur coming from. Cena and orton are the premire rivarly of the new age in the respect that they aare the two biggest stars in WWE 2day. Now thats not saying that they are anywhere near the level or Rock/Austin, but when thses lil kids that make up the majority of the wwe's fans look back, they are gonan talk about the Cena/Orton rivalry. But they have BEEN rivals since they both broke into tho company back in 03. They where the 2 fastest rising stars when cena was on smackdown and orton was on raw. U almost felt that those 2 would be the wuns to lead the new generation. At least thats the way ive always felt....evan if u look back on the 1st smackdown vs raw video game, the intro shows cena and orton facing off at wrestlemania leading the new generation

not to bash you or anything but i dont understand really how you can say their this eras austin and rock...and then say edge and cena works better as a feud...surely that would put edge and cena ahead of orton and cena as this eras rock and austin feud?

not hating just flagging it up

1) dont you ever (and THE ROCK MEANS EVER) put Cena and the Rock in the same sentence lol..sorry man but if you bring wwe fans of all walks of life..odds are the majority will favor Rock over Cena..these two are NOT at the same level..one is definitely at a higher level than the other! Im not saying this cause im a rock fan..im just stating it as it is..did you watch the promo on friday? Ya super corny/cheesy..now compare that to the crap Cena gave us on Monday..only the kids cheer lol..

Cena has prolly one thing over the Rock..Strength..he's a hard worker no question..he lifts his own (and others) weight..does he have the charisma of the rock..heck no..not even close

Orton to Austin? I would compare Orton to Triple H..the only big difference is that Trips played the coward for most of heel days barely winning matches cleanly..regardless was happened in HIAC..Orton did win in clean fashion..he can follow rules, and bend them to his advantage..Sorry, but Orton and Austin were two different dudes..

Austin was the rebel..the beer drinking SOB..does things his way..he doesnt listen to anybody..doesnt ask anyone questions..just does this thing.. (really, it would be hilarious if he came back to feud against CM Punk lol, course he cant wrestle but I'd watch it lol)

Anyways, Rock-Austin was in a league of its own..it was in a different era and different audience..and it was never boring! The fights, the smack talk all of it was amazing..I still remember Limp Bizkit's theme being used for WMX17..i have it on my ipod and that visions of the video gives me chills up my spine to this day

Well I didnt directly answer your question but my answer is no..in terms of magnitude,the only thing I've seen this yr that matched up to Rock-Austin was Orton-Triple H, way before WM25..it just sucked after that night

Edge is one of the most overrated wrestlers of this decade but that's not what this thread is about.

Orton-Cena is not the Rock vs Austin obviously but the guy who started the thread never was getting at that most if not all have missed the topic of this thread read between the lines people !

SC your right Orton-Cena is the Rock Austin of this era it's not the same in quality but the idea is that these two will be the best the WWE has to offer for the next 10 years. This isn't the first time they have waged war and it sure as hell won't be the last bank on it these two will headline Wrestlemania a few times before it's all said and done.

Orton is the mega heel of the next generation Ala Triple H of the last one he will take a similar career path Trips knew he was his successor that's why he took a vested interest in him. Cena is the mega face he will be the main draw and the face of the company for the foreseeable future like it or not this is how their dynamic is.

Onto another thing the IWC something tells me never mind I guarantee that if it existed in the so called "attitude era" that we would whine and complain about Austin and the Rock. We will never be happy because we don't know what we want first it's "Cena sucks as champ Orton's way better" and now that Orton has won it's "why do another title switch the credibility of the world titles is being shot".

It's pathetic read the archives of these boards we have taken the left right over under hell we have taken the diagonal stand on pretty much any single topic. We all know that we would find something to whine and moan about in any era so please lay off Orton and Cena and stop acting like they are an abomination to wrestling let's look at ourselves for a change.

Do you REALLY wanna know why Cena brought that up? Simple, they needed a reason to have yet ANOTHER boring Cena vs Orton match.

Cena and Orton = Rock and Austin? .. Ahem... Rock and Austin didn't face off THAT frequently. Rock and Austin had GREAT Storylines, including personal ones. Cena and Orton have SLs based only around the title.

SLs based ONLY around a championship ALWAYS suck, because hey, I could give a damn who's "the champ".

Cena and Orton have a LONG way to go until they can get even close to what Rock and Austin did.

in the fact that they have had a long rivalry through a large selection of matches then yes it is very similar but i'm sorry thats where it ends.

Austin/Rock were in a class of there own when they worked together. By themselves they were great but together they were awesome.

Cena will never be on that league, regardless of the fan fare he may get.
Orton is good, but he's not great either.

Promo wise, Cena SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Orton can be very tiresome.
Austin/Rock were captivating every time they spoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back