• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can I get a Guest Referee?

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Not me personally. No, I mean for the Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker match at Wrestlemania. And not just any referee...

Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Sure, Hulk Hogan is a bigger icon in terms of Mania that Austin is, but Austin would bring a whole other dimension to the match. Austin won his first WWF Title from Michaels at Wrestlemania 14, and had a long war with Taker that stretched pretty much an entire year.

So why not have a Wrestlemania Icon referee a match between two of the biggest Wrestlemania Icons of all time?

Because the match doesn't need it? Steve Austin might do more to distract and take away from that particular match then what is needed. Austin was brought into the Lesnar Goldberg match because the WWE needed someone for brock to play off of while building to that match. Goldberg was off filming the wonderful Santa's Slay movie, whcih is immensely more important then the 20th anniversary of Mania. Austin served a neccessary role int hat match.

Now with Michaels and Taker, those two are good enough to do what they need to without all of the fluff around it. Any talks of JBL in a triple threat is just lunacy. Even Austin as Referee just adds too much to this match that it doesn't need.

Because everytime Austin coms back anymore he plays the role of guest ref, and it's getting boring and repetive, I am all for Austin being apart of WM25, but absolutly hate the idea of Austin playing the role of guest ref in any match on the card, anything else I'm fine with, give him a match, a run in, a promo segment, I don't care, but please no Austin as the special guest referee, Taker/HBK are both big enough star that they don't need the added attraction of Austin as part of the match anyway, or anyone playing guest ref for that matter, I feel throwing another person in there, no matter what role they play, would only take the spotlight off of what should be an epic Taker/HBK match, these are two of the best to ever step in the ring, they don't need some one like Austin stealing their thunder, so no to Austin or anyone as guest ref in this match

I'd pass on this one as well. Michaels and Taker sells itself on name value alone. A match like batista and Jericho, one of the most boring matches of all time on paper, needed something like Austin. Austin being in this match would take away the allure of the two legends. Austin is a bigger star than both of them, so why boost a match that doesn't need boosting?

Erm no, Austin was special guest referee at mania 20 and 23 and special referee at Cyber Sunday 2208, 2007. If Austin is to be involved, it should not be as a special guest referee as I am bored as hell of seeing him do the role. Match ends, stunnah stunnah stunnah stunnah. It'd be a predictable ending, Taker v HBK (or Jibbles :p) does not need Steve Austin as a referee.

If Austin is to be involved in this year's WrestleMania, it should NOT be as a guest referee. He has done this on numerous occasions, and ALL TIMES it was shocking. He does nothing out of the ordinary in the match, and then come the end, he'll stunner a few people and that's it. I mean, if he actually had an impact on the match then sure, I'd be up for it. But for something this big, he needs a bigger role. If he can, a match. If he can't, something different, such as a run-in. Let's do something different for the biggest show of the year, not churn out the same stuff.

At this point Austin is a professional guest referee, making him more than qualified for the job.

The video package leading up to the match would feature Austin whooping both their asses in his prime (1998) and the match itself would most likely be billed as 'Texas Sized'. All and all, it would be a bit droll.

An Austin/JBL match however... that will draw!

At this point I could care less who the ref is, knowing I'll see Shawn Michaels v. The Undertaker at Mania.

Sweet Jesus please no. This is WM25, Austin needs to do something significant, I'd still love him to wrestle Jericho for example, but no I dont want to see the legend that is Stone Cold reduced to A REFEREE once again. Its boring and it has happened again and again.

If Austin is involved but wont be wrestling then I think the best possible scenario would be having this match with JBL as the special guest referee. He has a genuine reason to be involved and then at least he doesnt have to wrestle.

After 20 minutes of fantastic action perhaps HBK could catch Taker with a sweet chin music but JBL refuses to count the 3, so Austin runs out and stunners him (four texans in one ring!) and takes over as ref for the last few minutes. Then Taker manages to get the win.

I think Austin needs his own spotlight, by that I mean let him fight Jericho and let his music ring through the arena one final time. He is the top inductee this year and deserves as much credit as possible. I dont really get what Austin would do in the Michaels/Taker match, unless you want to have a couple texans in one match loll

No, no, no. Why are you intent on ruining what will be the best match of my wrestling viewing? I don't care how much I like Austin, nothing is getting in the way of Shawn vs. Undertaker being amazing. And Austin would ruin that. They'd both receive a Stunner at the end of the match anyway, the applause would be on him at the end. All the asshole fans wouldn't give a shit about Shawn or Undertaker, because they'd just be drooling all over Austin "Oh wowz he hasn rassled in 4evaaaa". Eugh no.

I don't agree with this either. It made sense to me at first what with Mania being in Houston. All 3 of the big Texas guys in one match, the fans would love it.
But after thinking through this, and really realizing what this match is, it doesn't need it. These are arguably the two best Wrestlemania performers of all time, and definitely the two whose names are synonymous with the event. The star power of just that is epic, but the fact that these two can still carry almost anyone (save JBL, who clearly proved at NWO he shouldn't be associated with this match in any way) to a great match. Together they could potentially end up having one of the better Mania matches of at least the last several years. So what need is there for Stone Cold? He brings star power and legitimacy to a match/segment that needs it and this is chock full of it already. His services would be much better served elsewhere.

I love SCSA but please NO. Stone Cold is my all time favorite superstar but his presense is not needed in a match of this magnitude. This mathc has so many storylines to it and Austin is not need to further it. The Undertaker is trying to further the streak to 17-0. Shawn Michaels is Mr. Wrestlemania and always brings it to the big hsow and is a threat to end the streak. You also have 2 legends who are fan favorites who also happen to be fighting in their home state. The atmosphere for this match is set. After both their introductions, which i hope both are grand for this stage. I'm talking HBK from the rafters. Just seeing both guys in the ring staring down before they go at it will be a WM moment that the WWE will air like they are doing now each week. Both guys are 2 of the biggest stars the company has ever had and are 2 of the biggest names in WM history. Not to mention they haven't had a feud of any kind since late 97-early 98. These 2 alone sell this match. The RattleSnake is not needed in this one.

BUT.....we do need Stone Cold Steve Austin on the show in some fashion either a match(fingers crossed), a promo, or a run in.

But please keep Austin out of Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker. This is a one time thing that people have wanted for years and will probably never get again seeing as both are on the tail end of their careers. We know both guys will bring their A+++ games that night and lets let that match be solely about them.

Fuck, im getting kind of sick of seeing Austin as a Special Guest Referee and having him in the Michales and Undertaker match would be just stupid and would take away from a classic match between two legends. If Austin were to be invvolved in wrestlemania 25 at this stage the only thing that would make sense is for him to be involved with the jericho angle. If he had to make a guest referee appearance it would be bets either in the jericho match or maybe in the Cena vs. Edge match. Because Cena vs. Edge is basically a generic thrown together title match and adding austin into the mix would actually make it interesting, plus then we could get the epic wrestlemania moment of john cena getting stunned half way to hell.

An Austin/JBL match however... that will draw!

Eh, as a match? no thanks, I was thinking about this today, and if you were to make this into a promo type segment in the ring I would be fine with it, for example the way I could see tis happening, JBL doesn't get booked in a match, so he comes out and decides to air his displeasure of being left off of the biggest PPV in the history of wrestling, and finally after a few minutes, we hear the glass shatter and out comes Austin to a massive pop, he then cuts a classic promo in response to JBLs complaining in only the way Austin can, and then eventually BAM! hits him with a stunner, and goes up to the ropes for the classic Austin beer bash, that I could handle

I don't like special referee matches, and this match just furthers this. Either it will ruin the match by making the winner more obvious than it already is, or it will serve no purpose but a random appearance by Stone Cold. Not to mention this match has so much star power they don't need Austin, as he would simply be buried and would seem like some other random ref, or he would steal all the spotlight and ruin the moment. No matter what, I don't see this as a great idea, because Stone Cold is needed, but in a much bigger role, not just a guest ref on the biggest match on the card.

No because it wouldnt be needed. The match itself is big enough without Austin, adding him to it could maybe sour it. If he is gonna be apart of Wrestlemania he doesnt need to be in THIS match. Perhaps have him Stunner some heel whos bugging the piss out of the crowd. He doesnt really need to do much to promote whatever film he is promoting, so in closing no he should be the ref.

Yeah a special guest referee is only needed when the match itself needs an added element to it. Taker/Batista needed Austin, because the feud itself needed to keep going. Jericho/Batista needed to become interesting as well, so Austin was added to that match.

This match don't need it. Its huge already and it will take away the spot light from the two guys who will steal the show. Austin as a guest ref at WM 25 would only be good if it was a match where somebody would most likley cheat. Like edge vs Cena. Because He wouldn't let it happen.

But this match defanetly does not need it. Its already the best possible match on the card and Does not need any kind of Stipulation, or gimmick added to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back