Buying DVDs Or Blu Rays

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Sometimes seeing a movie in theaters might not be enough. There's a chance you could really enjoy the movie, and if you really enjoy it, then you'll want to own it on DVD or Blu Ray. Then there you have your older classics such as Star Wars, Die Hard, Halloween, and Scarface. But are DVDs and Blu Rays really worth buying anymore?

I ask this question because there can be a lot of different versions of a film released on DVD and Blu Ray. There are unrated versions, director's cuts, and then there are the special editions. Special edition sets can have two, three, or four discs. Now if you're really into the movie and who made it, then you would probably be excited to buy these sets, so you can see the deleted scenes, hear what the director has to say, and watch the interviews with the actors and actresses of the film.

I feel as if all these different versions of Blu Rays and DVDs can be annoying sometimes. Scarface is one of my favorite movies ever, but it has been released on DVD seven times! I really wanted to buy the platinum edition, but I already purchased the two-disc anniversary edition.

Recently I've just been buying the normal version of a DVD, unless it's a horror movie, because most of them are released as unrated. I might buy a special edition set or the director's cut, but I only do this if I really like the movie.

What do you think about the many versions of Blu Rays and DVDs?

I tend not to get bothered by the different versions that come out. I normally don't pay attention to any of the extras the DVD or Blu Rays put out, so any copy will do for me. The only thing that gets my interest is deleted scenes or alternate endings. Occasionally I'll watch the making of a film, but not to often. Comedies are another genre that will release the unrated version as the first one available too.

I sold off most of my old DVDs and bought their Blu-Ray editions instead. I think the main issue you have here, Mitch, is the fact that companies now try to exploit films' loyal fan bases by releasing a new edition of a film annually (yeah, I'm exaggerating, but only a little bit). Luckily for me, I couldn't give less of a shit about extras, so I tend to only buy one edition of a film per medium (e.g., VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray). The only exceptions to this rule are uncut/director's cut releases of horror films; if there's gore that was too intense for an R-rating, I'm going to want to see what all the fuss was about.

If they re-release a DVD in a steel book or in the shape of a crucifix from a Hammer film, I'm there baby, I'm there. Obviously I'm a mug, but I'm also a collector. Even if I don't watch them, I enjoy having and owning them. I'll continue to buy DVD's until they discontinue them and then I'll buy up other peoples collections. Same with Blu-Rays.

I don't actually watch special features, but often a re-release with an extra disc is just too much for me to bear. Fortunately I have my fingers in many pies and I rarely pay about £5 for the latest releases. It's irrelevant that I haven't watched special features since 2001, I'll buy a DVD/Blu-Ray specifically for them anyway.

I've heard hoarding is mostly found in people with mental health problems.

There are very few DVDs or Blu-Rays that I wait to buy the criterion/hyper ultra directors editions of, usually the standard theatrical cut is fine...plus, I don't buy any Blu-Rays of films I already own on DVD. Sure, Blu-Rays look better, but I hate duplication in my library. The only films that I am even considering duplicating is the Star Wars saga, when those get released in fall 2011.

Other than that, what is the point of spending money on movies you already own, in a format that you can still playback? Blu-Ray players can play DVDs, so I don't even need to keep a DVD player hooked up. Same machine to play both, so duplicating films is just a waste of money.

I havent got a blu-ray player yet, so I am still buying DVDs.

I am thinking of getting myself a blu-ray player, but a bit worried about my DVDs becoming obsolete. I know currently the blu-ray players can also play regular DVD's, but does anyone know if this is a feature that will remain in future, or a temporary feauture for the 1st few yrs of blu-ray players.

Didnt something happen with PlayStations? Where they initially played the earlier console games, and then Sony got rid of the backwards compatibility function.

Cos it would be a ballache to replace all my hundreds of DVDs :(

It depends on what movie it is and how badly the person buying it wants a copy. I think that DVD's of a movie are worth it in some cases but not in others. If I like a movie (or wrestling PPV) enough to want my own copy to watch whenever I want.... you better believe I'm getting the DVD. If some type of update is released then I try to see what the new edition has that the one I own does not, and if the new material is worth the investment, I'll sell my old one for store credit to help buy the new one. If not, I pass on buying it. I usually like to see special features on DVD's such as blooper reels, backstage interviews, and cut scenes. Things like that are cool. As far as Blu Rays are concerned, I don't plan on getting any anytime soon since DVD's are still around. That's just me. It IS worth it to get the DVD of a movie because of cool extra features and being able to see it anytime you'd like, but only if you truly want it. It's up to the buyer in the end. If they want it, they should buy it, and if not then it's not worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back