Bullshit About Movies, Release Dates, and Box Office (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

So I watched Elephant the other night. Before hand I had some mixed feeling about Gus Van Sant. I mean, I think he is a great filmmaker. I loved Good Will Hunting and Milk, but on the flip side I thought Last Days was shit. Needless to say I was a little weary of this film. However, thank god I watched it because it was simply brilliant. I loved every minute of it.

The long tracking shots were amazing. I can see why some people would find this movie boring because of how it follows certain characters for long periods of time, but I thought it was a great choice of filming. It really helped me to build a bond with the characters and actually become emotionally invested in their outcomes, something that turned out to be happy and sad.

When the film finally got to the actual school shooting it was some of the most intense scenes I have ever seen. Gus did a great job of building up tension. It was sad to see certain characters who didn't do anything wrong become victims to the shooters for no reason, and even the people who were bullies were hard to watch die. The whole film just seemed so surreal, probably because of its influence from the Columbine shooting. Some very intense minutes with a terrifying, yet brilliant ending.

The only problem I had with the film was the two shooters kissing in the shower. That whole scene seemed unnecessary. Other then that I have no real complaints. It was a beautiful, yet tragic film. Very good acting from many people who had zero acting experience and a story that was incredibly fresh and unique. A film that really hits home, even if I wasn't ever involved in a school shooting the scenario is very difficult to think about and envision. I applaud Mr. Van Sant for this film.

Reactions: X
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1658263/tupac-shakur-biopic.jhtml

I think this is great news. I LOVED the Resurrection and Thug Angel documentaries, and I've been waiting to see a Tupac biopic for quite some time now. I hope this film can be as good as Notorious, because the biopic on Biggie was well done. I can understand why the director would want an unknown actor to play Tupac. The focus of the film should be about Tupac Shakur. A more recognizable actor could cloud everything, because the spotlight could be put on that person. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Anthony Mackie was given a shot at this role. He gave a solid performance as Shakur in Notorious, and he really isn't that big of a star in Hollywood.

My first thought of Hall Pass is that it is riding in the light of the Hangover's success. I do have to say that is does look pretty funny from seeing the trailer and for not having a bunch of the usual comedy celebrities in it besides Owen Wilson. Instead they went with a lot of T.V. celebs with Sudeikis, Applegate, Smoove, Merchant, and Fischer. Having it come from the Farrelly brothers it should definitely be funny as I do enjoy most of their movies. The only problem I have is that they showed a lot of funny stuff in the trailer, I hope that those are not the funniest parts of the movie and the rest is lame. I also like the fact that Wilson doesn't seem to be the leading funny man of the movie, with that going to Sudeikis, I enjoy Wilson more when his roles are like that like in Wedding Crashers.

Hall Pass seems like it could be a nice little comedy. I'm sure this movie will be filled with tons of raunchy humor, and I did chuckle at the trailer a little bit. I'm not expecting too much from this movie, but Hall Pass should be fun. Also, for everyone who was a fan of The Hangover, the teaser trailer for The Hangover II will premiere with this film.

So I saw two movies this weekend, Drive Angry and Hall Pass. Both were decent enough films. Drive Angry is a great film if all you want is tits, blood, action and violence. You don't have to worry to much about Nicholas Cage talking, because he doesn't do to much of that. William Fichtner was pretty damn funny and Amber Heard is gorgeous. Great action with some awesome gore. If you are a fan of grindhouse/exploitation films then this one should be right up your ally. If you enjoyed Machete or Piranha 3D then you will love this.

Hall pass is fairly funny. Not a classic by any means but it definitely has some laugh out loud moments. The supporting cast is much funnier then the main cast. Both Jenna Fischer and Christina Applegate are hot as well. Also, Richard Jenkins is hilarious, but if your a big fan of his don't expect much from him. He doesn't appear in the movie until the end. Worth a watch, but I don't spend full price on it because it isn't worth top dollar.

I saw the ad for this film on top of the Wrestlezone Forums page, so I just had to find out more about this....

[YOUTUBE]FplWxtPzWY8[/YOUTUBE]

Release Date: April 8, 2011​

Thadeous (Danny McBride) is a lazy, arrogant prince whose brother, Fabious (James Franco) must go on an epic quest in order to save their father's kingdom. Natalie Portman plays a warrior princess who is also the lazy prince's love interest. Zooey Deschanel plays Belladonna, Fabious' virginal bride. Justin Theroux plays Leezar, the evil wizard who kidnaps Belladonna. Michael Clarke Duncan plays the Giant Troll.

Huh? What the fuck is this supposed to be? A medieval stoner flick? I really don't know what to expect from a film like this. This could be something funny or this could be one giant clusterfuck. I love the cast here, but I don't know if I'm too excited about Your Highness just yet. I'll be watching this one when it hits theaters, but I really don't know what to expect from this film.

I saw the ad for this film on top of the Wrestlezone Forums page, so I just had to find out more about this....

[YOUTUBE]FplWxtPzWY8[/YOUTUBE]

Release Date: April 8, 2011​

Huh? What the fuck is this supposed to be? A medieval stoner flick? I really don't know what to expect from a film like this. This could be something funny or this could be one giant clusterfuck. I love the cast here, but I don't know if I'm too excited about Your Highness just yet. I'll be watching this one when it hits theaters, but I really don't know what to expect from this film.

If turns out to be anything like Pineapple Express it will be great. Danny McBride is a comedy genius and James Franco can hold his own in both comedy and drama so they should be a great paring. Not to mention Natalie Portman and Zoey Deschanel make everything they touch better just by association. I' m sure this film will be hilarious, but if you aren't a stoner, not singling you out Mitch just using it as a broad word, then the people may not enjoy it quiet as much. I expect some really over the top humor and really can't wait to see it.

I'm really excited for Your Highness even though I'm sure it'll be a pretty dumb movie. I LOVED Pineapple Express and I think James Franco is probably one of the best actors in the business and is a damn interesting guy.

I'm kind of expecting this movie to be like A Knight's Tale mixed with Robin Hood: Men in Tights. It'll probably be more loosely based on the goings-on of the times like Knights Tale but will probably take itself just as seriously as Men in Tights. Either way, it should be a barrel of laughs.

[YOUTUBE]UMcA2HRPsLE[/YOUTUBE]​

A young family discovers that the body of their comatose boy attracts evil entities, while the boy's mind is trapped in a dark realm known as The Further.

Release Date: April 1, 2011

This film looks like it could be scary, and there should be some good spook moments here. Although, Oren Peli is attached to this film as a producer, and I'm not too excited about that. He played a big part in the Paranormal Activity films, and I can't stand both of them. James Wan and Leigh Whannell are also on board for this film. Wan is directing this film, and Whannell has wrote the script. These men played a big part in the Saw film series, so I'm hoping this one can be decent.

I'm not expecting too much from this film, but Insidious could be a nice little horror flick. Also, if you pay close attention at 1:24 during the video, then you get to see a creepy Darth Maul look alike.

The top ten grossing films from March 4-6:
1. Rango- Weekend Gross: $38,079,323/Total Gross: $38,079,323

2. The Adjustment Bureau- Weekend Gross: $21,157,730/Total Gross: $21,157,730

3. Beastly- Weekend Gross: $9,851,102/Total Gross: $9,851,102

4. Hall Pass- Weekend Gross: $8,861,053/Total Gross: $26,846,808

5. Gnomeo Juliet- Weekend Gross: $7,240,315/Total Gross: $84,022,325

6. Unknown- Weekend Gross: $6,520,232/Total Gross: $53,029,496

7. Just Go With It- Weekend Gross: $6,431,246/Total Gross: $88,131,316

8. The King's Speech- Weekend Gross: $6,230,227/Total Gross: $123,546,104

9. I Am Number Four- Weekend Gross: $5,750,190/Total Gross: $46,488,606

10. Justin Bieber: Never Say Never- Weekend Gross: $4,277,128/Total Gross: $68,828,539

* 11. Take Me Home Tonight- Weekend Gross: $3,464,679/Total Gross: $3,464,679

Source: boxofficemojo.com

I usually only post the top ten films, but I decided to put Take Me Home Tonight on here, because I am kind of surprised to see this film open up at the eleventh spot. I haven't seen this film yet, but Take Me Home Tonight does look like a nice comedy filled with 80's nostalgia. I know Justin Bieber is pretty popular, but I'm still kind of surprised to see Take Me Home Tonight have such a weak opening weekend.

I plan on seeing The Adjustment Bureau pretty soon, and Rango grabbing the number one spot doesn't surprise me too much. Although, The Adjustment Bureau and Rango were the only two opening films that managed to have a strong impact at the box office this past weekend. Also, it seems the Oscar buzz is helping The King's Speech. This film has been out in theaters for quite some time, so being in the number eight spot isn't a bad thing.

The Resident Evil infection will spread into a fifth movie, distributor Sony Pictures announced today, along with a release date for George Clooney's The Ides of March.

Resident Evil 5 has been scheduled for Sept. 14, 2012, in 3D, and no other movie is set for that date yet. That means the video-game-based action-horror franchise will continue to inhabit the mid-September slotting of the second-through-fourth movies, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Resident Evil: Extinction and Resident Evil: Afterlife.

Though each Resident Evil sequel has arrived with subtitles that suggested some finality, the presently non-subtitled Resident Evil 5 moves forward after the franchise-high gross of the fourth movie, Resident Evil: Afterlife. Afterlife exploded at the foreign box office, making over $236 million. That was nearly two and a half times as much as Extinction and about as much as the first three movies combined.

Domestically, Afterlife wasn't as spectacular, generating $60.1 million last year, around 80 percent of which from its 3D presentations. That was up from Extinction's $50.6 million, Apocalypse's $51.2 million and the first movie's $40.1 million, and it was the second-highest grossing zombie-themed movie after Zombieland. However, Afterlife's attendance hit a franchise low.

Resident Evil 5 will arrive just two years after Afterlife, which will be the shortest wait yet of the franchise. Apocalypse opened two and a half years after the first movie, while there were three-year waits for Extinction and Afterlife.

Despite its title, The Ides of March has been set for Oct. 14, though the scope of its initial release is still to be determined as that date is already packing four nationwide releases: The Big Year, Footloose (2011), The Thing (2011) and The Three Musketeers (2011). It wouldn't be surprising if it begins as a platform release as recent George Clooney October awards contenders Michael Clayton and Good Night, and Good Luck. did.

The political campaign drama, which has a plot description similar to Primary Colors, marks George Clooney's fourth directorial effort after Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Good Night, and Good Luck. and Leatherheads. It boasts a critically-lauded cast, including Ryan Gosling, Marisa Tomei, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti and Clooney.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3103&p=.htm

Ugh, I can't say I'm excited about this. I had a feeling this was going to happen, because Afterlife had a cliffhanger ending, and I could just tell another film would be made. I really liked the first Resident Evil film, I thought Apocalypse was pretty mediocre, Extinction was okay, and the 3D effects in Afterlife were cool, but the movie itself was pretty shitty. I think it's time for the Resident Evil series to die. I hope this will be the last film in the series, because Resident Evil films have been drastically declining in quality over the years.

http://www.moviehole.net/201137987-cinema-is-doomed

:disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:

A Doom reboot? Really? Wow. I really, really hope this doesn't happen. I hated the first Doom film. I actually enjoyed The Rock's performance as the hard ass Sergeant, but everything else about this film was pure shit. I guess Hollywood is looking for a way to make some quick cash, because I can't believe too many people would be excited to see this film. Oh, and if Doom does return to theaters, it will be in 3D...ugh...

http://www.moviehole.net/201138015-ray-stevenson-may-be-returning-as-the-punisher

I would actually like to see Stevenson return as The Punisher/Frank Castle. I like Thomas Jane, but he wasn't the right man for the role. He was just so bland and boring as The Punisher. Stevenson was able to bring that bad ass edge to the character, and he did have the "tough guy" presence.

I've been on a movie recording binge and have really used the DVR on HBO quite often for the past two weeks. I've been recording anything that sounds remotely decent. As such, yesterday I watched two movies, one which was fairly enjoyable and the other which I wouldn't bother to see again.

The first movie I watched was Planes, Trains and Automobiles, and John Candy's performance was what made me enjoy the film so much. Yes, Steve Martin had some funny moments of his own, but his straight man to Candy's antics was played so well. There's some funny moments with Martin's first snap at Candy at the hotel (about 1/2 hour into the movie), their car blowing up in fire, and them getting pulled over after the fire (with the radio the only thing still working). What really makes the movie is the final 10 or so minutes, when Martin realizes Candy is homeless and then invites him over for Thanksgiving, it turns into a touching moment. It was about as good as advertised, and I'll give it 4 stars out of 5.

As for the second movie, it was The Ringer. The plot is pretty thin, as it's Johnny Knoxvilles uncle in gambling debt (and him needing to pay off health insurance for his friend) so they try and fix the special Olympics. Very early on Knoxville's feelings are made for Lynn (played by Katherine Heigl) and it's clear he's not going to win it and fall for the girl.

The movie wasn't bad, as it wasn't just about making fun of mentally challenged people like I thought it was, but it wasn't great. Knoxville just isn't much for an actor, and a very, uh, basic plot makes this movie very missable. I'd give this 1.5 stars out of 5. Just not something that is must see at all.

I have (what I think are) some good ones already recorded that I will be watching soon, such as Bravehart, Watchmen, and Goodfellas. Also Half-Baked, although it sounds like nothing but a stoner film, I think could be worth some laughs. Anyone have thoughts on any of these?

http://www.moviehole.net/201137987-cinema-is-doomed

:disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:

A Doom reboot? Really? Wow. I really, really hope this doesn't happen. I hated the first Doom film. I actually enjoyed The Rock's performance as the hard ass Sergeant, but everything else about this film was pure shit. I guess Hollywood is looking for a way to make some quick cash, because I can't believe too many people would be excited to see this film. Oh, and if Doom does return to theaters, it will be in 3D...ugh...

http://www.moviehole.net/201138015-ray-stevenson-may-be-returning-as-the-punisher

I would actually like to see Stevenson return as The Punisher/Frank Castle. I like Thomas Jane, but he wasn't the right man for the role. He was just so bland and boring as The Punisher. Stevenson was able to bring that bad ass edge to the character, and he did have the "tough guy" presence.

I don't know. If done correctly I think a Doom movie could be very successful. I actually enjoyed the first one, though it was a shit film. No ifs, ands, or buts about that. But with the right director, writer, actors they could get something that isn't pure shit. If this does happen then there needs to be more of the first hand shooter view and the story needs to be more of a horror and not an action/sci fi.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Stevenson play the Punisher again. I know that film got a ton of shit, but I rather enjoyed it. The Frank Castle was more serious like it should have been. I to like Thomas Jane as Castle but Stevenson did the better job with the role. But, a Punisher film isn't that difficult to get done. Just have an ass load of violence and a guy with a big skull on his chest and you get the jist of the character and movie.

"Paul" looks funny and entertaining. It comes out here in the states on Friday. I will probably see it although I already pretty much know the story.

I like Seth Rogen and I heard this movie was a hit in the UK so if I do see it, I'll let you all know what I thought.

I don't know. If done correctly I think a Doom movie could be very successful. I actually enjoyed the first one, though it was a shit film. No ifs, ands, or buts about that. But with the right director, writer, actors they could get something that isn't pure shit. If this does happen then there needs to be more of the first hand shooter view and the story needs to be more of a horror and not an action/sci fi.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Stevenson play the Punisher again. I know that film got a ton of shit, but I rather enjoyed it. The Frank Castle was more serious like it should have been. I to like Thomas Jane as Castle but Stevenson did the better job with the role. But, a Punisher film isn't that difficult to get done. Just have an ass load of violence and a guy with a big skull on his chest and you get the jist of the character and movie.

I just have a hard time getting excited about a Doom reboot. Seriously, why would anyone want to reboot Doom? Is Hollywood that desperate? A couple of years ago, I actually wanted to see the new Street Fighter film. The original Street Fighter film was atrocious, so when I first heard about Street Fighter: The Legend Of Chun-Li, I became excited. My expectation level was raised, because I thought this Street Fighter film would be an improvement. I didn't think anything could be as bad or worse as the first film, but I was wrong. The Legend Of Chun-Li was horrible, and it might be worse than the original Street Fighter film. As I said before, The Rock really was the only highlight of that entire film, and he won't be back for the reboot. I don't think he's a great actor, but he did manage to do a good job in this film.

I agree about Stevenson. He's the right man for The Punisher role. Even if you did hate the second Punisher film, you had to enjoy Stevenson's performance. He nailed the character perfectly.

"Paul" looks funny and entertaining. It comes out here in the states on Friday. I will probably see it although I already pretty much know the story.

I like Seth Rogen and I heard this movie was a hit in the UK so if I do see it, I'll let you all know what I thought.

I'm a fan of Rogen, and I am curious about this film. Paul should be a fun comedy adventure, but yeah, the story does seem to be very predictable. Still, Paul should be filled with laughs, and I hope this film can deliver.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/darren-aronofsky-exits-wolverine-25587

Ugh, I wasn't happy when I read this piece of news. I was actually looking forward to seeing what Aronofsky would do with next Wolverine film. I couldn't stand X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I thought this film was terrible, and Aronofsky can make some mind blowing films, so I was hoping he could bring a spark to the new Wolverine film. Aronofsky was the reason why I wanted to see the new Wolverine film, but now my hopes have been crushed again. The new Wolverine film will probably be another mindless blockbuster filled with flashy special effects, and I know this film won't hit theaters for a long time, but I just can't get excited about watching the new film now.

Also, X-Men fans will have to wait even longer to see the new film. The next Wolverine film is supposed to be filmed in Japan, but the earthquake and tsunami crisis will surely push things back. You also have to factor in Aronofsky's sudden departure from this project. As of right now, the future for this film is very unclear.

I, for one, am happy Aronofsky stepped away. Darren Aronofsky should not be wasting his talent on big-budget, shitty action films where his creativity will be limited.

I mean, let's face facts... Aronofsky can say time away from his family is the reason why he pulled out, but it's obvious to me that the more "creative" meetings he had with Fox, the more he started to realize that it was THEIR movie, and not his.

On low-budget independent films like the ones Aronofsky has made at this point thus far in his career, he has had final say on EVERYTHING in each picture, and I have a feeling that he learned from those meetings that it would be very different directing such a high profile film like a Wolverine movie.

The top ten grossing films from March 25-27:
1. Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Roderick Rules- Weekend Gross: $23,751,502/Total Gross: $23,751,502

2. Sucker Punch- Weekend Gross: $19,058,199/Total Gross: $19,058,199

3. Limitless- Weekend Gross: $15,055,249/Total Gross: $41,111,231

4. The Lincoln Lawyer- Weekend Gross: $10,750,365/Total Gross: $28,717,548

5. Rango- Weekend Gross: $9,772,822/Total Gross: $106,335,987

6. Paul- Weekend Gross: $7,856,800/Total Gross: $24,960,970

7. Battle: Los Angeles- Weekend Gross: $7,582,566/Total Gross: $72,562,110

8. Red Riding Hood- Weekend Gross: $4,311,312/Total Gross: $32,424,769

9. The Adjustment Bureau- Weekend Gross: $4,290,795/Total Gross: $54,916,865

10. Mars Needs Moms- Weekend Gross: $2,258,428/Total Gross: $19,224,641​

I'm kind of surprised Sucker Punch didn't grab the #1 spot this past weekend. This film was heavily promoted, and there seemed to be a good amount of buzz surrounding it. I know the critics have been tearing this film apart, because the majority of the reviews I've read have shit all over Sucker Punch. I still haven't seen this film yet, but I hope it isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

There should be some strong competition at the box office for the #1 spot this upcoming weekend. Source Code, Hop, and Insidious hit theaters this Friday, so it will be interesting to see if Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Roderick Rules will remain at the top.

I, for one, am happy Aronofsky stepped away. Darren Aronofsky should not be wasting his talent on big-budget, shitty action films where his creativity will be limited.

I mean, let's face facts... Aronofsky can say time away from his family is the reason why he pulled out, but it's obvious to me that the more "creative" meetings he had with Fox, the more he started to realize that it was THEIR movie, and not his.

On low-budget independent films like the ones Aronofsky has made at this point thus far in his career, he has had final say on EVERYTHING in each picture, and I have a feeling that he learned from those meetings that it would be very different directing such a high profile film like a Wolverine movie.

As an Aronofsky fan, I am happy, but as a comic book fan I am sad. I was hoping Aronofsky would make Wolverine 2 into something really special and put his own art into an art form that could use a brilliant mind like Aronofsky to make it really appealing. He worked with Hugh Jackman in The Fountain, so he may be able to bring out the best in Jackman, and he could take the story and present it in a much more fascinating way.

That said, while I don't doubt Aronofsky could make a killer comic book movie, I think it would wind up being more of a character piece than an action movie, and an action movie is probably what Fox wanted. As you said, the creative meetings probably made him realize that this movie wasn't going to be about Wolverine, it was going to be about Wolverine killing his way across America. That doesn't sound like a film that Aronofsky should be wasting his abundance of talent on.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/24042

YES!!!!!

I really enjoyed Trick 'r Treat. It was a spooky and chilling horror movie, and the story was excellent. Trick 'r Treat is the PERFECT Halloween movie.

If this film is given the green light, then there's a good chance this one will be a direct-to-video release, because Warner Bros. didn't want to give the first film a chance in theaters, but this doesn't bother me too much. I just want to see another Trick 'r Treat film. I would love to see this potential film hit theaters, but if it doesn't happen, I won't be upset, and a direct-to-video release wouldn't bother me at all. Just seeing another Trick 'r Treat film will make me happy.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/24042

YES!!!!!

I really enjoyed Trick 'r Treat. It was a spooky and chilling horror movie, and the story was excellent. Trick 'r Treat is the PERFECT Halloween movie.

If this film is given the green light, then there's a good chance this one will be a direct-to-video release, because Warner Bros. didn't want to give the first film a chance in theaters, but this doesn't bother me too much. I just want to see another Trick 'r Treat film. I would love to see this potential film hit theaters, but if it doesn't happen, I won't be upset, and a direct-to-video release wouldn't bother me at all. Just seeing another Trick 'r Treat film will make me happy.

Fuck yeah Mitch. Trick 'r' Treat was one of my favorite horror films of 2009 and I would love to see a sequel, DTV or not. Damn now I want to go watch the original again. I'm always down for a horror anthology film, even better when it's well written, creepy, and ties in together. They never even gave it a chance in a theatrical run though until randomly dumping it out on DVD around Halloween of '09. Put a couple of hot young actresses in a sequel and give it a short stint in theaters, it'll make some cash I'm sure.

The top ten grossing films April 8-10:
1. Hop- Weekend Gross: $21,298,240/Total Gross:$67,754,545

2. Hanna- Weekend Gross: $12,370,549/Total Gross: $12,370,549

3. Arthur- Weekend Gross: $12,222,756/Total Gross: $12,222,756

4. Soul Surfer- Weekend Gross: $10,601,862/Total Gross: $10,601,862

5. Insidious- Weekend Gross: $9,371,769/Total Gross: $26,728,357

6. Your Highness- Weekend Gross: $9,360,020/Total Gross: $9,360,020

7. Source Code- Weekend Gross: $8,650,238/Total Gross: $28,218,871

8. Limitless- Weekend Gross: $5,461,378/Total Gross: $64,149,608

9. Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Roderick Rules- Weekend Gross: $4,770,987/Total Gross: $45,348,247

10. The Lincoln Lawyer- Weekend Gross: $4,281,598/Total Gross: $46,136,408

*12. Sucker Punch- Weekend Gross: $2,102,082/Total Gross: $33,973,736

Hop is still holding on to the number one spot, and this does kind of surprise me. I thought Arthur or Hanna might give this film some strong competition this past weekend, but after two weeks, the animated feature film is still holding on to the #1 spot. I'm also surprised to see Your Highness have such a weak opening weekend. I thought the trio of Natalie Portman, Danny McBride, and James Franco would draw a bigger opening, but this medieval stoner flick hasn't put up impressive numbers at the box office. I still plan on watching this film sometime soon, and I hope Your Highness isn't as bad as the reviews are making it out to be.

Sucker Punch continues to be a disastrous failure at the box office. This film has fallen all the way to the #12 spot, and the critics continue to tear this film to shreds. This film will be a stain on Zack Synder's résumé.

Scream 4 hits theaters this Friday. This has been one of the more popular slasher franchises over the years, and it'll be interesting to see if this one can have a big opening weekend.

I really am not that surprised that either Sucker Punch or You Highness have flopped in the box office so far. Both films have a very niche fan base that is going to see it and to put it quiet bluntly Sucker Punch just was not a good film. Your Highness was funny but only a small percentile of film goers are truly going to understand and care about its humor. Neither film surprises me all that much that they haven't done great in the box office so far.

I fully expect Scream 4 to land the top spot when the weekend is over. As you said Mitch, it is a popular franchise and I for one cannot wait to see this movie. I am a big fan of the original trilogy and if the reports are anywhere at all to being correct this should be the best Scream film since the original. I also am in love with Alison Brie and that plays a major factor into me wanting to see this film all that more.

Jmt suggested a couple of Anne Hathaway's films for me in the Oscar LD a while back. I finally watched all three films, and I want to share my thoughts on them.

Havoc- I thought this was awful. I really hated the story here. Hathaway and her friend try to fit in with the wrong crowd, and they make a ton of stupid decisions throughout the entire film, and one of these dumb decisions results in a rape. I also couldn't stand the wannabe gangster boyfriends in this film. They were bad actors, highly annoying, and I can't stand people who act like that in real life, so I was super pissed every time they appeared on screen. The story here is atrocious, but Hathaway does give a solid performance here, and she does look gorgeous in this film.

Rachel Getting Married- Wow. I was blown away by this. This film has a very emotional and gut wrenching story, and Hathaway was outstanding here. Her character was a person who wanted to feel sorry for, but there were times where I wanted to hate her, because Hathaway's character could be very selfish sometimes. Hathaway did a great job of playing this troubled drug addict who struggled with a tragic accident. I can't say enough good things about Hathaway's performance here, because she was just amazing in this film.

Love & Other Drugs- I really enjoyed this film. Love & Other Drugs was filled with some good humor, and the love story between Jake Gyllenhaal and Hathaway was done really well. The twist and turns were pretty predictable here, but Hathaway and Gyllenhaal had these unique characters, and you wanted to root for them. Hathaway delivered another fine performance here. She was witty and funny, but there were times where she could be cold and mean. Love & Other Drugs was a damn good film, and I'm happy I took a chance on this one.

I never really payed too much attention to Anne Hathaway in the past. I just used to think of her as "the chick who stars in those Princess Diaries films" but I have a different opinion about her now. I think Hathaway has real talent. She's beautiful, charming, and when it comes to showing emotions, she does have some nice range. Still, I won't watch Rio. I'm sure it's a good movie, but I'm not too crazy about computer-animated films.

Havoc- I thought this was awful. I really hated the story here. Hathaway and her friend try to fit in with the wrong crowd, and they make a ton of stupid decisions throughout the entire film, and one of these dumb decisions results in a rape. I also couldn't stand the wannabe gangster boyfriends in this film. They were bad actors, highly annoying, and I can't stand people who act like that in real life, so I was super pissed every time they appeared on screen. The story here is atrocious, but Hathaway does give a solid performance here, and she does look gorgeous in this film.

I just want to state for the record that I only recommended this for Anne's hotness, not because I thought it was a quality film. I agree with you completely that it's God awful trash, but Hathaway could not have been hotter in it.

Rachel Getting Married- Wow. I was blown away by this. This film has a very emotional and gut wrenching story, and Hathaway was outstanding here. Her character was a person who wanted to feel sorry for, but there were times where I wanted to hate her, because Hathaway's character could be very selfish sometimes. Hathaway did a great job of playing this troubled drug addict who struggled with a tragic accident. I can't say enough good things about Hathaway's performance here, because she was just amazing in this film.

Definitely one of the most realistic movies ever made about drug addiction. It can move slow at times, but Hathaway's performance is so phenomenal that during the 'slow' moments all you're thinking about is her character and what she and her family are going through.

Love & Other Drugs- I really enjoyed this film. Love & Other Drugs was filled with some good humor, and the love story between Jake Gyllenhaal and Hathaway was done really well. The twist and turns were pretty predictable here, but Hathaway and Gyllenhaal had these unique characters, and you wanted to root for them. Hathaway delivered another fine performance here. She was witty and funny, but there were times where she could be cold and mean. Love & Other Drugs was a damn good film, and I'm happy I took a chance on this one.

The only thing about this movie I didn't like was the sappy ending. This film was so original and so against the sickening romantic comedies that have been put out since the late nineties, that it was such as disappointment that they decided to go with the corny ass speech deal from Gyllenhaal to win the girl back and live happily ever after for its ending.

If it weren't for the ending, this movie would have been one of the best from 2010. Don't get me wrong, the ending doesn't completely ruin the movie for me, but it does bring its quality down, IMO.

I never really payed too much attention to Anne Hathaway in the past. I just used to think of her as "the chick who stars in those Princess Diaries films" but I have a different opinion about her now. I think Hathaway has real talent. She's beautiful, charming, and when it comes to showing emotions, she does have some nice range. Still, I won't watch Rio. I'm sure it's a good movie, but I'm not too crazy about computer-animated films.

Very well put.

Hopefully more follow suit (specifically Batman fanboys) so they can realize what a talent she is. There isn't much talent in the acting department in Hollywood for actresses under the age of 30, but Hathaway is definitely a big exception to that.

I saw Win Win with Paul Giamatti and Amy Ryan today and it was absolutely phenomenal.

Win Win is about a noble family man/lawyer/high school wrestling coach, Mike Flaherty, (Paul Giamatti) who is at a rough point in his life. He's stressed out with money issues and a failing law practice, and what's worse, his wrestling team sucks. However, he finds a way, albeit a controversial way, to make a little extra cash. This new gig he picks up comes with a slight drawback, the responsibility over a 16 year old roughian named Kyle. Mike and his wife Jackie (Amy Ryan) take in Kyle and attempt to give him a steady home. It's only a short matter of time before Mike finds out Kyle is a tremendous wrestling talent, and the addition of Kyle to Mike's wrestling squad seems to be exactly what Mike needs to give him a better perspective on life.

This movie certainly packs the drama, but it's a nonstop laughfest, mostly because of the characters. Paul Giamatti is brilliant, and Amy Ryan plays a great "grown-up Jersey Girl." On top of these two parts being cast and acted to perfection, all the supporting characters are perfect, from Mike's pathetic best friend Terry (played by Bobby Cannavale) to Mike's innocent but impressionable daughter Abby (played by an adorable kid named Clare Foley). The kid they got to play the wrestler isn't actually an actor, but a high school wrestler, and even he is pretty decent.

This film didn't get much of a mainstream release so it might be hard to find, but if you can check it out in theaters I definitely suggest doing so. If not, knock this bad boy to the top of your Netflix queue, because it is truly one of the most delightful films I've seen in a long time.

9/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back