• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bryan/Reigns struggle reminiscent of Bret/Luger in '93? Will the ending be the same?

Will Roman Reigns end up going the same way as Lex Luger?

• Yes. He will eventually be exposed and downgraded.

• No. Reigns will go on to become a main event success.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Creepy Old Man

Championship Contender
When Hogan started to wind down in 1993, the WWF decided to force Luger into his spot, despite the fact that former world champion Bret had the stronger fan support (Luger ultimately had to bow his head and present Bret with the "Superstar of the Year" award, which I suspect was then a legit fan vote). Seems eerily close to what's going on now, with Reigns being shifted into Cena's role and the company keeping an oppressive boot on former champ Bryan. There are also striking similarities between Luger and Reigns (big ex-football guys who look great but can't talk or wrestle particularly well), and Bret and Bryan (great smaller wrestlers who don't seem to be charismatic enough in WWE's eyes).

By the spring of 1994, the WWF acquiesced and finally went with Bret over Luger. Personally, I expect the same with Bryan and Reigns. I just do not see it with Reigns: he looks good but his in-ring work is OK-at-best, and his promos range from by-the-numbers robotic to downright embarrassing. I'm not hearing the crowd support either. Some audiences have more screaming soccer moms than others, but overall there's a lack of reaction to Reigns's shtick, both in and out of the ring. To me, at least, "face of the company" is the last thing I think of when I see this guy on TV.

What's your take on it? Will Reigns go on to be a major success, or will he find himself back in the mid card like Luger did?

It's pretty clear that those situations are very similar. People have only been discussing this for months already.

When Hogan started to wind down in 1993, the WWF decided to force Luger into his spot, despite the fact that former world champion Bret had the stronger fan support (Luger ultimately had to bow his head and present Bret with the "Superstar of the Year" award, which I suspect was then a legit fan vote). Seems eerily close to what's going on now, with Reigns being shifted into Cena's role and the company keeping an oppressive boot on former champ Bryan. There are also striking similarities between Luger and Reigns (big ex-football guys who look great but can't talk or wrestle particularly well), and Bret and Bryan (great smaller wrestlers who don't seem to be charismatic enough in WWE's eyes).

By the spring of 1994, the WWF acquiesced and finally went with Bret over Luger. Personally, I expect the same with Bryan and Reigns. I just do not see it with Reigns: he looks good but his in-ring work is OK-at-best, and his promos range from by-the-numbers robotic to downright embarrassing. I'm not hearing the crowd support either. Some audiences have more screaming soccer moms than others, but overall there's a lack of reaction to Reigns's shtick, both in and out of the ring. To me, at least, "face of the company" is the last thing I think of when I see this guy on TV.

What's your take on it? Will Reigns go on to be a major success, or will he find himself back in the mid card like Luger did?

I agree with everything you're saying however I had to chuckle thinking hogan was winding down in 93 and had his last match in 2012.

The difference is, Vince has enough money and no competition. There's no other territories to put out of business.

Now his biggest enemy is his own fans.

Which is sad, but he's gonna find a way to prove tall bodybuilders will inherit the earth, even if it kills him in the process.

I agree with everything you're saying however I had to chuckle thinking hogan was winding down in 93 and had his last match in 2012.

He was winding down his WWE career and his true career in any way that truly mattered. Sure, he sucked another decade out of the dying carcass through politics and sheer force of will, but for all intents and purposes, Hulk as a main attraction should've ended by '97.

They are similar but not in the way that you think.

First, Lex was groomed for YEARS to be the #1 guy, Luger was basically being groomed for SuperStardom since 1987 and had already main evented some huge shows against veritable legends of wrestling. Brett Hart meanwhile had a nice progression from tag team guy to reliable mid carder and was thrust into the main event scene almost by default due a unusual set of circumstances. Brett hadn't been groomed for years and wasn't headlining major shows against big time stars for years, he was doing it for months, after a modest two year run in the mid card.

Worse yet, business was fading with Brett on top - I suppose you can say the same thing now regarding Lesnar but WWE knew what it was getting with Lesnar and his Part Timer's Guest SPot Schedule, at least his PPV matches vs Cena drew good numbers for the company (although it's debatable if they were any better than Cena would have drawn vs anyone else). Today we know Lesnar isn't and never was a long term solution, he was a short term project, a bridge, a transitional champion at best. Hart, despite not being groomed for the big spot, was handed the ball and asked to run with it for months. If business had been better it never would have been taken from him. Not many similarities here.

Reigns also doesn't compare to Luger - Reigns has had an extremely short time as top tier star, not 6 years of main event building and prime matches like Luger. Almost no similarities here.

The one area that is similar is the "Push" itself. Luger debuted in early 93 playing off his success in 1992 as the arrogaunt, self absorbed "Total Package" heel character and upped it a notch with his "Narcissist" persona. He was immediately over as a mega heel and fans genuinely seemed to dislike him from the start. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, he suddenly gets this patriotic urge to defend US Pride and opposes Yokozuna, suddently embracing the fans, humility, and becoming, well, a more well known version of Brett Hart really, a boring, squeaky clean good guy - It made no sense, it was horribly scripted, way to abrupt, and the "forced" nature of it didn't please fans.

Reigns meanwhile was the assassin like muscle of the top heel group in the company, maybe the best heel group since Evolution was at its peak. Then for no real reason with fans booing them on cue and inferred alliance with Paul Heyman and heel champion CM Punk they suddenly start caring about other wrestlers, following the rules, and start feuding with a reformed Evolution. Early on, fans were cheering EVOLUTION as much if not more than Reigns & The Shield, it was too forced and didn't make a lot of sense, finally Evolution got The Shield over as fan faves (though Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose had a lot to do with that) and out of nowhere Reigns is anointed the second coming just like that. Again, too quick, too forced, and fans didn't (at least not yet) react the way WWE wanted.

Luger was clearly way more seasoned and experienced than Reigns and was better known and a bigger commodity than Hart as champion - there are no real similarities here.

However, the nonsensical idiotic way WWE shortcircuited their storylines and wrote them so poorly to facilitate their big "Hero Push" makes a lot of sense in terms of being similar (and poorly done).

Now, over time that may change - WWE isn't always known for patience - They refused to admit the problem money wise was the product as a whole and not all on Hart so they continually looked for someone to replace him as #1 star, then invariably always came back to him because even if the money wasn't great it was consistent and guaranteed, and even if some older fans thought he was boring and his character wads dull kids loved him and bought his merchandise (the real similarity in this story is between Brett Hart & John Cena). I doubt WWE will have any more patience with Reigns if things don't click early on.

The only parallel between the two situations is you have two main event players. But if anything, Reigns would be the guy that rises to the top and Bryan would be the Luger. Vince didn't believe in Luger long-term... which is evident by the events that unfolded. There are still people within WWE that think Bryan is truly a B+ guy. Just like Luger was. Dependable in a pinch. A guy the fans could get behind much like the YES! Movement and the Lex Express. Luger was a headline guy way before his time in the WWE. He was huge in WCW when WCW was nothing. He held two WCW titles before he ever stepped foot into the WWE.

Reigns has gotten head over heels better on the mic and facial expressions and even some of his ring work in the last three months. He's noticeably better after he came back from his injury. Looking at the way Bryan has been trending lately... you could make a pretty legit argument that he may never see more than one more WWE Title run again. With all the young guys coming up, you'll need some solid guys to put them over. Reigns will be big. Rollins will be big. Wyatt will be big. Ambrose could be big. As much as I hate to admit it, Rusev could also be big. I can just see a lot of other guys that aren't Bryan putting them over. Cena, Sheamus, Orton... and I will still even say Lesnar. I don't believe it's out of the question for Lesnar to retain at Mania. Add in all of your other guys that can just get hot at the right time like Ziggler, Ryback, etc... it could be a very crowded main event card. And honestly, don't count out Kevin Owens being fast-tracked to the main event of the main roster either. That dude just has "it." He's a mini version of Lesnar. He's believable enough to do what Sheamus did back in 2009. I'd love to see it personally.

I don't know... just my opinion. It just wouldn't shock me to see Bryan only get one more solid run the rest of his career. He may get a run or two for a month or two as a transitional champion, but he'll have to stay healthy too. But I just foresee him in the Luger rule more than Reigns would be.

Reigns has gotten head over heels better on the mic and facial expressions and even some of his ring work in the last three months. He's noticeably better after he came back from his injury.

Agreed, and it makes me wonder how much further ahead he would have been by now had he not been forced to take the time off. Surely, the original schedule WWE cooked up in order to have Reigns ready for his ascension to the world title by WM31 didn't include an unplanned vacation, during which he didn't have a chance to build his skills. But yes, he's improving and you can see him getting better every week.

Luger on the other hand, was a finished product while being groomed to replace Hogan; the guy didn't seem to have much more to offer while riding around on that stupid bus and having WWE tell us Lex was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I tried to get interested in him, but Luger had the personality of a paper napkin.

IMHO, Roman Reigns is going to make it. Even if the WWE braintrust decides he won't be winning the title at WM31......or will be winning it but immediately dropping it via MITB cash-in......this guy is still part of the wave of the future and the company is going to be counting their lucky stars they didn't abandon his push this early.

The only parallel between the two situations is you have two main event players. But if anything, Reigns would be the guy that rises to the top and Bryan would be the Luger. Vince didn't believe in Luger long-term... which is evident by the events that unfolded. There are still people within WWE that think Bryan is truly a B+ guy. Just like Luger was. Dependable in a pinch. A guy the fans could get behind much like the YES! Movement and the Lex Express. Luger was a headline guy way before his time in the WWE. He was huge in WCW when WCW was nothing. He held two WCW titles before he ever stepped foot into the WWE.

Reigns has gotten head over heels better on the mic and facial expressions and even some of his ring work in the last three months. He's noticeably better after he came back from his injury. Looking at the way Bryan has been trending lately... you could make a pretty legit argument that he may never see more than one more WWE Title run again. With all the young guys coming up, you'll need some solid guys to put them over. Reigns will be big. Rollins will be big. Wyatt will be big. Ambrose could be big. As much as I hate to admit it, Rusev could also be big. I can just see a lot of other guys that aren't Bryan putting them over. Cena, Sheamus, Orton... and I will still even say Lesnar. I don't believe it's out of the question for Lesnar to retain at Mania. Add in all of your other guys that can just get hot at the right time like Ziggler, Ryback, etc... it could be a very crowded main event card. And honestly, don't count out Kevin Owens being fast-tracked to the main event of the main roster either. That dude just has "it." He's a mini version of Lesnar. He's believable enough to do what Sheamus did back in 2009. I'd love to see it personally.

I don't know... just my opinion. It just wouldn't shock me to see Bryan only get one more solid run the rest of his career. He may get a run or two for a month or two as a transitional champion, but he'll have to stay healthy too. But I just foresee him in the Luger rule more than Reigns would be.

Yup.

I don't think Vince was ever going to put the title on Luger in 1993. Luger came in a former WCW World Champion. I think if we apply the Vince buries WCW guys/only pushes his own creations narrative here I think we can understand what happened to Luger. I think the Lex Express was always designed to put Yoko over even more. Not Lex.

As for Bryan, I've said it before and I'll say it again, WWE sees him like a Benoit/Jericho type. They see him an uppercard guy who can main event with the big guys, and he had his run. He may get another as well, but not on the grand WrestleMania stage.

Vince wants Reigns. But may settle for Lesnar/Rollins to leave 'Mania with the title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back