• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brett Favre and Minnesota Vikings talking.....

Ty Burna

Getting Noticed By Management
And personally, as a Vikings fan, I AM ECSTATIC!!!. Let me repeat that one more time, I am freaking ecstatic over this. I don't care that he looked like shit the last couple games for the Jets, or that he's 40 years old, I'm even overlooking the fact that he is best known as a Packer's QB. No what I am looking at is a HOF player who I believe can still play, looking to come in and be my team's quarterback. The exact position that is the missing piece to the puzzle for my team.

Now let me go in depth a bit more here. It was said he had a torn bicep the last part of the season last year, so that has me worried. However Favre has given it time to heal and if need be, he can get surgery now and be ready in time for the regular season. He's a gunslinger and known to throw painful interceptions. That's all fine and dandy, but Gus Frerotte for us last year threw more picks than TD's, and we ended up 10-6. Also Favre doesn't need to be a gunslinger, he can sit down in an offense he's already very comfortable with, and play it safe. We got AD and our D backing him up, and as long as he can make the right throws to Berrian, Rice, and Harvin, we will have a well oiled offensive machine.

So you look at the overall picture, you have a QB who was still playing at a top level before an injury last year who wants to come play for a team who needs a solid QB. Said team has the following quarterbacks:

Tarvaris Jackson: Hahahahahahaha a shell of Donovan Mcnabb. He's inaccurate and makes worse decisions than Favre.

Sage Rosenfels: Uh..... yeah do I need to go get the video off Youtube of his game against the Colts, the game his team was up 21 points and HE himself lost?

John David Booty: Unproven, doesn't have a very strong arm, maybe in a couple years he can be decent but nothing spectacular.

Taking this all into consideration, this will more then likely be a one or two year shot. But to me, if Favre does sign on with the Vikings, then this is probably the best shot we have at making the Super Bowl right now. Really we have to take this shot, and if doesn't work this year, Favre retires again and we draft a QB and continue building.

If you're team needed one piece to the puzzle, and a veteran HOF player wants to sign on to fit that last piece, wouldn't you want to make that move?

Your thoughts please.

*sigh*...and here we go again, as a Packer fan I sincerally hope the sign the overrated jackass, he'd fit in perfectly, as both Favre and the Vikes seem to have a knack for choking in the playoffs, I knew this was coming as soon as I saw that Favre got his released from Jets, and then said some shit like "I'm not interested in playing football right now" (I can't remember the exact quote), my only question is if Favre decides to play for the Vikes does that mean Madden is going to come out of retirement?

And this ^ is the pessimist side of thinking my brain is going through at the same time. Knowing my luck, Favre will come in and absolutely crumble like a cookie in a glass of milk. However I believe that it's worth a shot, because really, who the fuck else do I have to play quarterback that can even give me a glimmer of hope?

I thought Brett Favre did well last year, personally. The last four games or so didn't look very good, but most of that blame goes towards Eric Mangini, in my opinion. It was nothing but terrible call after terrible call, and he couldn't do shit right. Put a good coach with the Jets and they end up definitely being a Playoff team, at the very least.

The fact is... Brett Favre's still got it and there is no reason whatsoever why anyone should ever think that Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels is a better option to lead your team than Brett fucking Favre. Every analyst and fan I've seen comment on the Vikings these past couple of years all have said that if they have a good quarterback (not great, but good), then they become Super Bowl contenders. And I agree with them, and Brett Favre is definitely good enough to be able to help this team win. With their defense and running game, all they need is a quarterback to get them 1st downs on 3rd and 6 and more, and not turn the ball over, and Favre could definitely be that guy, more so then any other option Minnesota has at this point.

I say they should sign him, without a doubt. It's not even a risk if you think about it. If Favre comes in and doesn't do well, well then shit... you still have the guys you originally wanted in the first place in Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels to come in for you. But if Favre does work out, then Vikings become a serious threat in the NFC, and definitely in their division.

It seems Brett Farve just can't stay away from the game. He's still a very good QB regardless of his age but if he were to sign with the Vikings that would make the division very interesting this year. The Chicago Bears finally got a great QB in Jay Cutler and I thought they'd be favorites to win the division but now if Farve does sign with Minnesota it should be very interesting to see what happens later this year.

I dont think it would benefit them. They need a facilitator, not a gun slinger. Brett Favre wild and not so great anymore arm will throw them RIGHT out of the playoffs. Dare I say they would be better off with Tavaris Jackson. You dont need someone who takes a load of wild risks with the ball every week when you have a defense, running game, and OL like this one. Id stay far away if I were the vikings.

The Vikes are fucking ******ed instead of going out in the offseason and trying to pick up a solid young QB, that they could build the future of the franchise around they went and got Sage Rosenfels?, WTF?!?, this is just an example of why the Vikes are a fucking joke, and will never win a fucking SB, if they were smart they would have at least made a worthy attempt to make a trade for either Matt Cassel or Jay Cuntler, but nope they don't even bother trying to get either one of those guys, and lets also not forget Jeff Garcia was also available and they passed, now once again they are trying to get and overrated POS franchise killing Brett Favre on the team, and once again I'm praying that he does comeback and that he does play for the Vikes, if for no other reason than to watch him step onto Lambeu Field in the atrocious purple jersey and see the reaction he gets.... it'd also be awesome to watch him get owned by our piss poor defense (hopefully our draft picks work out and we improved in that department greatly)

I know Favre had a heck of a career after Sterling retired, throwing to a ragtag group of receivers, but they were at least better than Berrian and Rice. Sure, Minnesota's run game is superb, but that doesn't help their passing.

If he comes in, he's going to do nothing, but keep them from the playoffs. He throws too many interceptions, and makes too many bad decisions. Against his division alone, he'd have to face Green Bay's excellent group of DBs, and Chicago's defense. I don't see how he'd throw less than 25 TDs.

Look at the rest of the schedule. Baltimore and Pittsburgh have great defenses. Even Cincy's pass defense is improved with the addition of Roy Williams. There's also Carolina, and the Giants, in the last 3 weeks of the season. He may start off doing "okay", but he'll collapse, just like he did last year. He's 4 years past retirement.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa........whoa. Seriously? You guys think that the Vikings would be better off with Jackson and Rosenfels? Ugh alright let me pull the stats out again.

Jackson Career Stats: 58.4% completion percentage, 3,442 yards, 6.6 yards a completion, 20 TDs and 18 INTs. 3 Year pro

Rosenfels Career Stats: 62.5% completion precentage, 4,156 yards, 7.4 yards a completion, 30 TDs and 29 INTs. 9 Year pro

So really? REALLY?!?! If this was your team would you honestly want to go to war with either of these two under center? I highly doubt it. And what the hell is going to hurt to give this one fucking shot? Minnesota is right there to being contenders for the Super Bowl instead of first round fodder. If this fails, Favre is gone, Childress is fired (hallelujah), we go out and draft a QB and start over. If we don't get Favre, we either don't make the playoffs or we lose in the first round again, again Childress is fired, and we go out and draft a QB. Hmm so what you're telling me is I should be satisfied with just getting a first round exit or no playoffs instead of having the best possible chance of getting deep into the playoffs. :headscratch: That doesn't make any sense to me so please explain this to me. I can already tell you Jackson won't become Donovan Mcnabb overnight, in a season, or EVER for that matter. Rosenfels is a younger Frerotte, meaning he looks good yards wise but he throws picks and turns the ball over, not to mention fucking up leads in the 4th quarter.

So in the end, what the fuck is this going to hurt? Either way if we don't make the playoffs or we lose right away in the playoffs, we're going to start over with a new coach and new direction. However Favre gives the Vikings that opportunity to do more that Jackson or Rosenfels has no fucking chance of doing.

I can already tell you Jackson won't become Donovan Mcnabb overnight, in a season, or EVER for that matter.

Trust me, you don't want McNabb. He sucks.

Rosenfels is a younger Frerotte, meaning he looks good yards wise but he throws picks and turns the ball over, not to mention fucking up leads in the 4th quarter.

So, he's a poor man's Brett Favre? Lots of yards, and just as many picks as scores?

Tavares Jackson is either going to win you games his way, or you wait out this season, and hope your run game, and run defense, can win you enough games to go deep in the playoffs. You're only really competing with the Bears, and Cutler doesn't have anyone to throw to, so you should be a lock for the playoffs. If you lose early, you trade up, and take Bradford once the draft rolls around.

Personally, I'd go with Rosenfels. With the run game leading the way, he'll pretty much be asked to just manage the game, a la Trent Dilfer, or Jeff Garcia. Let him throw 15-20 times, and make sure to use "safe" patterns, to avoid the turnovers.

Trust me, you don't want McNabb. He sucks.

So, he's a poor man's Brett Favre? Lots of yards, and just as many picks as scores?

Tavares Jackson is either going to win you games his way, or you wait out this season, and hope your run game, and run defense, can win you enough games to go deep in the playoffs. You're only really competing with the Bears, and Cutler doesn't have anyone to throw to, so you should be a lock for the playoffs. If you lose early, you trade up, and take Bradford once the draft rolls around.

Personally, I'd go with Rosenfels. With the run game leading the way, he'll pretty much be asked to just manage the game, a la Trent Dilfer, or Jeff Garcia. Let him throw 15-20 times, and make sure to use "safe" patterns, to avoid the turnovers.

Yeah and how well did that work for Houston against Indy last year with Rosenfels under center. Maybe there's a reason he was traded for a 4th rounder? I believe so. While I will agree with you Favre can throw picks, and really that's my biggest worry, but in reality if we stick with Jackson or Rosenfels, it's going to end up just like last season. We make the playoffs and subsequently lose to a wild card team. Take a look at that 2nd half in the Vikings-Philly wild card game. We could not do SHIT with Jackson under center, and Rosenfels is just slightly better than Jackson without the running ability. They loaded the box and stopped AD, and Jackson couldn't complete a pass to save his life. Our D deserves huge credit, they kept us in that game big time, but after so many 4 and outs, you can only ask them to do so much.

This is why Favre would be better in this equation. If Childress can reign in him and have him stick to the West Coast offense, he can get passes completed to Berrian and Harvin for big gains after the catch. Favre wouldn't be throwing 30 or 40 passes a game like he did in Green Bay and New York because he'd be doing more hand offs to Peterson and Taylor. This minimizes possible mistakes but also makes the defense respect the passing game, opening up the running game even more. If Rosenfels was worth a shit, he wouldn't have been traded for a 4th round pick and he would have been starting far sooner than into his 9th season in the league. There's a reason he's been pegged as a career backup, Jackson shouldn't even be on an NFL roster. And if we need to take a shot downfield, we have Harvin and Berrian on our receiving core, both deep threats with Rice and Wade running the underneath routes for the quick first down.

Notice that the Vikings fan is the only person thinking this is a remotely good idea. Homer anyone?

and both of those carreer numbers you just threw up were better than the season Favre had last year. and FAR better than his last 5 games of the season. News flash.

Favre always has, and always will, try to do WAY too much, evidenced by him being the NFLs carreer interception leader. By a lot. which is the LAST thing the Vikings need. Favre practiacally threw the jets right out of the playoffs last year. Jeff Garcia was your guys best shot, and you let him stroll right on by.

They need a facilitator, not someone who will feel the need to put the game on his shoulders. Favre would be a terrible pick up for them. He is washed up, and has been since about 2 months left to go in LAST season

Notice that the Vikings fan is the only person thinking this is a remotely good idea. Homer anyone?

and both of those carreer numbers you just threw up were better than the season Favre had last year. and FAR better than his last 5 games of the season. News flash.

Favre always has, and always will, try to do WAY too much, evidenced by him being the NFLs carreer interception leader. By a lot. which is the LAST thing the Vikings need. Favre practiacally threw the jets right out of the playoffs last year. Jeff Garcia was your guys best shot, and you let him stroll right on by.

They need a facilitator, not someone who will feel the need to put the game on his shoulders. Favre would be a terrible pick up for them. He is washed up, and has been since about 2 months left to go in LAST season

jmt agreed with me but whatever that's just to disprove I'm the only one who thinks this is a good idea.

What I am trying to say is, what the fuck do we have to lose? I mean we tried the 'rely on our d and running game to get deep into the playoffs" last year and we just got our toe into the water before we got thrown out. Also like jmt said, if Favre comes in and absolutely sucks it up, we throw him on the bench and let him hold a clipboard for the rest of the season while we try to struggle along with Rosenfels or Jackson. We got the cap space so we don't have to worry about that, especially if it's a one year deal like it should be, and his cap space will be off the books next year.

It took Jackson 3 years to have stats that look like a single season, and that would have been an average to shit poor season at that. Rosenfels took 9 years to achieve about the same goal. So two QB's that are unproven as starters, and when they did start/play, they played like shit. So it's a 50/50 shot that Favre can still go in reality. If he does, we improve drastically as a team, and if he doesn't, well then we just have 3 average to shit QB's and at that point Jackson would probably be the best bet because he has the running ability over Rosenfels and Favre.

I think what you need to be worried about, is that maybe Favre will only want to play for a few weeks. I may be alone in thinking it, but last season, it looked like he phoned it in for the last few weeks. Not because of the poor performance, but he didn't seem to care, and just played because it was a paycheck.

If you're going to pay him the millions it will take for him to come back, can you risk him giving up around Week 8, and just collecting his money for the rest of the year? You're far better off letting these two compete for the job in the pre-season, and letting the best man lead the team.

I'm a huge Vikings fan! I despised the Packers when Favre was their QB. I don't mind them now that A.R. has his chance to play for them.

Anyways, on to the topic. If Favre can help Minnesota, then so be it, sign him. It would be nice to hopefully see Minnesota in the SB. They came so close in 97 when they played against the Falcons in the Championship game.

In my mind, I believe Favre may help Minnesota in the beginning of the season, but towards the end, I can see him being a total choke for the team. I could never stand Favre, and I don't believe my opinion of him will change. But the saying goes, "You don't know, unless you try." So I'm willing to give him a chance, since Minnesota really needs a QB.

The more I look at what's going on here, it sounds like Chris Mortensen's ego is running away from him again and wants to force Brett Favre into unretiring. The latest I've heard is that Childress is going down to Mississippi to talk to Brett Favre.

Not only that, but I've heard reports he hasn't even worked out, saying to certain people (Trent Dilfer, etc.) that he's not coming back, etc.

If this turns out false, Mortensen should get shamed in the entire media community and banned from ESPN. Because fans like me are sick of Chris's BS.

I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh at you people who think the Vikings will be better with Sage Rosenfeld or Tavarus Jackson (and if I spelled those right, I don't care, that's how piss bucket they are). I mean seriously, that's just laughable.

As far as Favre to the Vikings, I see no reason why not. The Vikings have no better options at QB, and have a championship ready team, and if Favre is willing to play, then the Vikes would be dumb not to take him. He may not be Favre of '96, but he's still in the top half of starting QBs in the league, and arguably in the Top 10.

And, I'm not a Vikings fan, I'm actually a Packers and Chiefs fan. But, it would be dumb NOT to try and get Favre.

I don't see what the Vikings have to lose here. Jackson & Helicopter Rosenfels took a while to get their career stats to at least average & there is absolutely no way that they should be starting for any NFL team. Favre may not be in his prime anymore, but he is a way better option than Jackson & Helicopter. I think Favre will do better if he goes to the Vikings cause they have a killer running game(Peterson is one of the top backs & Taylor is good himself) that's way better than the Jets backfield & they got a better receiving core(Berrian, Wade, Rice & now Harvin) than the Jets(last year: Coles, Crotchery & spares). I honestly don't see what the Vikings have to lose here, they are already a playoff contending team that needs a quarterback & Brett Favre is arguably the best quarterback available right now.

Another thing you about Favre going to the Vikes, the guy has a 5-10 record in the Metrodome, the same place he would be playing half his games, do you really want a high priced QB on your team who would likely only win 1/3 of his home games?, Favre just needs to give it up, before he's a crippled old man being stretchered off the field, the guy already flushed his legacy down the toilet last year by being a immature prick, if he comes back again, he will just prove to everyone that he's more of a joke than people originally thought

At this point I don't reallly care. Farve may be a better option than Rosenfels and Jackson but he is going to learn what Joe Montana and so many others who stayed too long learned.....this league will eat you alive. This will not make the Vikings an instanty contender-(see Jets of last year) They will have about 5 great games, 5 good games and 5 horrible games....that is a typical Farvee season lately so that would probably be a 500 record or a little better. That division is weak in general so this will not make the Vikes go to the Super Bowl by any means, unless they play Detroit every week.

He may not be Favre of '96, but he's still in the top half of starting QBs in the league, and arguably in the Top 10.

And, I'm not a Vikings fan, I'm actually a Packers and Chiefs fan. But, it would be dumb NOT to try and get Favre.

Your opinion of Favre is slighted, because you're a Packers fan. Doesn't sound like much, but you were cheering him for a long time, so of course you're going to think he still has it.

As far as a top 10 QB in the league right now...I'll list 10 that are better.

Ben Roethlisberger
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Carson Palmer
Joe Flacco
Matt Ryan
Kerry Collins
Matt Cassel
Philip Rivers
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Drew Brees
Jay Cutler
Kurt Warner
Matt Hasselbeck

I know that's more than 10, but those are QBs that I'd want before Favre. They all had a better season than him last year, except for Brady and Palmer, but they were hurt. Another plus, these are all active guys, keeping themselves in playing shape.

Also, except for his shitty record, Tyler Thigpen had a better season than Favre in my books. He threw better, didn't make as many mistakes, and was better on his feet.

The Minnesota Vikings will not sign free-agent quarterback Brett Favre(notes), a source close to the team told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.

The source said Favre told Vikings coach Brad Childress that he wanted to remain retired in a phone call that took place sometime in the last day. Favre is expected to publicly explain his decision soon.

Favre, who announced his first retirement in March 2008 after spending 16 seasons with the Green Bay Packers, decided to resume his career last summer and was traded to the New York Jets in August. After one season in New York, Favre retired again and was subsequently released by the Jets on April 29.

Just days after his release from the Jets, speculation began that the Vikings were interested in bringing in a veteran to compete with Sage Rosenfels(notes), who was acquired this offseason from the Houston Texans. Rosenfels is atop the depth chart heading into training camp, with Tarvaris Jackson and John David Booty(notes) also on the roster.

Breaking News from Yahoosports.

Apparently this is dead anyway. That's the best ending to this, as Favre is simply done as an NFL QB. He was ok, but that's it. It's definitely not fair to blame the Jets' collapse on him, but he was part of the problem. Now he can go get any analyst job he wants or just sit around and do nothing all day. Either way, it's good that he's retired.

The Packers should offer him a 1 day contract so he can retire a PACKER.

I have to start saving for tickets to the Hall of Fame ceremony in 5 years and for tickets to the game when they retire his jersey.

I don't even like Favre, I also think he is slightly overrated. But if that yahoo story is false and he does join Minnesota, the Vikes woulnt have anything to lose. He is better than Jackson and Sage. Having that defense and running game will take pressure off of him. Which will limit his turnovers, and mistakes as a whole. I say go for it.

Your opinion of Favre is slighted, because you're a Packers fan. Doesn't sound like much, but you were cheering him for a long time, so of course you're going to think he still has it.

As far as a top 10 QB in the league right now...I'll list 10 that are better.

Ben Roethlisberger
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Carson Palmer
Joe Flacco
Matt Ryan
Kerry Collins
Matt Cassel
Philip Rivers
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Drew Brees
Jay Cutler
Kurt Warner
Matt Hasselbeck

I know that's more than 10, but those are QBs that I'd want before Favre. They all had a better season than him last year, except for Brady and Palmer, but they were hurt. Another plus, these are all active guys, keeping themselves in playing shape.

Also, except for his shitty record, Tyler Thigpen had a better season than Favre in my books. He threw better, didn't make as many mistakes, and was better on his feet.

Hopefully not in that order..

Favre is a joke, I'm glad he's not coming back with the Vikings, although there's still a real possibility he'll play this season knowing Brett. He'll probably meet with Denver next month.

He's lucky if he's still a top 20-25 QB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back