Breaking: Miami (FL) fires coach Randy Shannon

Steamboat Ricky

WZCW's Living Legend
shannon.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5858214

The U decided to part ways with Randy Shannon, a long-time staple at Miami as a player, assistant, and finally as a head coach, after a disappointing 7-5 season. He turned the program around academically and in terms of off the field issues that had plagued the Canes for years. But the program has failed to be in BCS contention since 2003.

Was this a good move? Or do you think that Shannon deserved another year?

This was supposed to be the year that brought the U back. They were supposed to be the team the ACC thought they were getting when they came over. This team, like many of Shannon's teams, underachieved and underperformed. He's had 1 losing season, two years of only 7 wins, and a pretty good season last year. With all of the talent that's booming in Florida, that just isn't enough. I know his starting QB was hurt for some of those games, but Jacory Harris isn't all that special anyways. Is it a long time coming like it was for say, Charlie Weis last year? No. Was it shocking? Not really. .500 football at the U isn't gonna cut it.

Now it'll be interesting to see who comes over. Auburns OC Gus Mahlzhan could be a top candidate, since he's familiar with the area and has a pretty good offense at Auburn. That's who I'd target. Or someone established.

This is "The U" so it was deserved. He took over an average team with a lot of problems and started 5-7. The he improved to 7-6, and finally last year it looked like the corner was turned with a 9-4 season. This was the year Miami needed to win 10 games and compete for an ACC title. Instead they digressed and went 7-5. I like Randy Shannon and hope he gets another opportunity some where else but he needed to go here. Miami needs to go after a big name this time around.

Thank god! Shannon needed to go, he doesn't light the fire this team needed, and just made some terrible decisions.He has so much talent on this team and just could not utilize it. Good guy, not a good head coach.

Yeah, but the big question is, does the coaching world consider "The U" to be a premiere job like it once did? What big name is going to want to go there? I know that Greg Schiano was rumored for the job after Coker was let go, but he chose to stay at Rutgers where they have underperformed ever since. I doubt somebody like Gruden would go to the college ranks, and would coaches at elite non-AQ schools like Boise and TCU consider going to a program like Miami?

Unless they have an elite replacement in mind with a reasonable probability of landing him, I just wonder if there is a better person for the job at this point than Shannon.

Shannon did a lot of good for Miami. He raised the teams academic performance in the classroom and also got rid of many off the field problems. He really changed the culture there but at Miami it is about winning football games and he just didn't do enough of it. Miami may not be a national powerhouse anymore but with the history there they will be able to get some sort of big name. Probably not Jon Gruden big but at least someone with experience who can not only keep the team in order off the field but also win games with them on the field.

I'm a big fan of Randy Shannon. He did some good for the U, like many have said. He fixed up some of their off the field issues and get them academically involved and really made the athletes better students. While he hasn't achieved the greatness that many believe surrounds the U, he still did a decent job and he got the program moving in the right direction.

Whoever the new coach may be, he will inherit a solid team that could win the ACC if they stay healthy. Jacory Harris should be back and despite his struggles this past season with injuries and inconsistent play, he is still a decent QB that should win you some games. I don't think they'll attract the big name guys, but I think they could land a solid coach that will win them some games and compete with the upper teams in the ACC like Va Tech and FSU.

Shannon did everything right but win honestly...this is "The U" i can remember when Miami had a run similar to what USC had bout 5 years ago...this was the year Miami was suppose to win the ACC, return to the BCS, and was a darkhorse for a national title...but they fell flat....Again as i said this is "The U" they should at least try to go after some the big name college coaches...i mean this isnt Minnesota who is stuck behind Ohio St. Penn St. Wisconsin and soon to be Nebraska for awhile now....they have a deep recuirting base and someone can easily turn this program around in a weak ACC.

I agree with most that Shannon is a good coach, and I too like the guy. I hope he gets a chance to coach at another program. He was just unable to get the program to the next level. Good experience for Shannon, unfortunate for him that he couldn't take the "U" to the next level. While the "U" may have dropped since the '90's, its back on the rise, and should and could land a big time coach. As Big Sexy said, they need someone with experience who can establish discipline off the field and produce results. Sad but necessary move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back