Breaking Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookie

The Huntington Beach Bad Girl
breaking_bad_promo_poster.jpg

Breaking Bad follows protagonist Walter White (Bryan Cranston), a chemistry teacher who lives in New Mexico with his wife (Anna Gunn) and teenage son (RJ Mitte) who has cerebral palsy. White is diagnosed with Stage III cancer and given a prognosis of two years left to live. With a new sense of fearlessness based on his medical prognosis, and a desire to secure his family's financial security, White chooses to enter a dangerous world of drugs and crime and ascends to power in this world. The series explores how a fatal diagnosis such as White's releases a typical man from the daily concerns and constraints of normal society and follows his transformation from mild family man to a kingpin of the drug trade.

I've been re-watching Season 2 in preparation for the Season 3 premiere on March 21st. I'm really a big fan of most of the things AMC puts out, and this is no exception. It's a brilliant show that handles its heavy subject matter flawlessly. As I'm sure you've heard, Bryan Cranston is incredible as Walter and he's got two Emmys to show for it. As someone who is enamoured with all things character-driven, this show is a gold mine for me. Following a character as fascinating as Walter never disappoints me.

It's really hard for me to describe this show to people who have never seen it and do it justice. The best way to see if you'll like it is to give it a shot. If you're like me and love character-driven shows or are just curious, download the Pilot episode.

Anybody else a fan?

I'm a BIG fan of Breaking Bad Cookie, aside from Lost it's probably my favorite show on TV right now. I've been watching since the very first episode and the show only gets better and better with each episode and progressing storyline. I knew this show was going to be something special from day one because of the involvement of Vince Gilligan, a longtime writer for The X-Files and because of the simpy fantastic acting of Bryan Cranston, who deserves every award he's won for this role and more. Aaron Paul has also taken me by storm and I'm just amazed by how talented he is, I remember him being good in a TV movie I saw years ago called Wasted about heroin addicts and I'm glad I kept my eye on him, because he's just been fucking awesome on this show and has such a wide range as an actor.

The end of last season really has me curious as to where things are going to go from here. For one, I hope they get rid of the character of Skyler, I really do, I fucking HATE her. My god, I know Cranston is playing a drug dealer and he does some very morally questionable things but holy fuck she is the most annoying, clingy, unfair, paranoid, and generally just aggravating character I have seen on a television show in years. I hope a fucking train drops on her head and we never see her on the show again.

Sucks that we have to wait until March for the new season, but it's going to be well worth it. Amazing show, can't wait for the new season either Cookie.

Awesome, I didn't think anyone else on here watched this show!

I binged through the first season in the span of four days. I agree with X that next to Lost, this is pretty much the best series on television right now. Bryan Cranston is indeed incredible on this. I completely forget that this is Dr. Tim Whatley and the father from Malcom in the Middle as he plays the role of Walter White to perfection. I don't think there's any other show on television either quite like this that builds tension and a story so well. I remember being on the edge of my seat with my heart racing, literally, watching in shock during the basement scene with Crazy Eight, and then the scene with Tuco's uncle in Mexico, trying to tell his nephew frantically that they were planning on killing him, and the only way he could do that was by ringing a bell. These are just two examples of so many where the direction and writing of the series is superb.

The turning point of last season, where Walter let Jane die was incredible. All Cranston had to do with that scene was let his face tell the story. He wanted to let Jane die because of how much she had gotten in the way and how much she was going to screw Jesse over. At the same time, though, this was a life, and Walt almost felt like he had to save her. Watching him go through those emotions was unreal, and in the end, it bit Walt in the ass as his indirect murder of Jane led to the plane crash right over his house, as Jane's father was an air traffic controller who was still very distraught over the death of his daughter. But still, Cranston's face showing sheer terror and yet the thirst for opportunity at the same time... it really makes you wonder why this man has never done dramatic acting before in his career. He is an amazing actor.

As far as the plane crash goes, a lot of people shit on that ending to the season, but I love it, as Walt's misdeeds have literally come raining down on him. It's not like it was a last minute swerve by the writers either. Each episode with the plane flash-forward were titled "747", "Down", "Over", "ABQ".

I can't stand Skyler, and I can't stand the actress who plays Skyler for spoiling in an interview a huge revelation about the upcoming season. I too hope that she winds up the casualty of a drug deal gone awry. Bob Odenkirk is great as Saul Goodman (who is actually Irish but changed his name because people feel more comfortable with a Jewish lawyer), and I hope his hysterical shadiness continues.

Another month, goddammit. Either way, this truly is great television, and between this, Lost, 24, and me still needing to catch up on Sons of Anarchy... I will never need to watch that piece of shit Flash Forward ever again.

I dont watch much TV these days, only those topical quiz show's with comedians on them, Dexter and movies really, but I made a point of trying to watch this as it was being advertised during Dexter. I havent got the chance to watch all that much but I really liked what I saw, I never knew Hal had such an acting range, but there you go.

Even though I picked this up halfway through and havent seen many episodes it's still one of my favourite things on TV, also shows that when americans get it right, they do drama and shit so much better than over here.

So, I just finished watching last night's Season 3 premiere and all I have to say is holy shit, Breaking Bad hits another home run (like that's a surprise at this point). What really made the episode great was the ending though, I won't spoil it for those that haven't seen it, though really it probably wouldn't matter if I did.

Skylar continues to be the queen bitch on my television set. I dislike her more and more with each episode. It looks like her and Walt are really done. I also really dug Jesse's shift in attitude and he showed off some of his acting chops in this episode during his rehab stint, I really love Aaron Paul (the actor who plays Jesse), very talented actor.

Just a great episode to start off the season, and a new offer to Walt to try and reel him back into the drug game. I'm so glad Breaking Bad is back.

I just finished watching last night's episode as well not too long ago, and I thought it was a really good episode that did a great job setting the tone for this season as well as tying up the big loose end from last season.

Walt's speech in the gymnasium to the school was awesome. In addition to the callback with the kid to who Walt said "Don't bullshit a bullshitter", the detail Walt went into about plane crashes was darkly hysterical. I was hoping that they'd at least have Walt figure out he was indirectly responsible for the crash, and chances are he really started researching the incident and plane crashes once he found out Jane's father was involved. The news reports/newspapers were a great way to show the audience the severity of the crash. Walt and Skyler's divorce interactions were great as well, and we'll see if Skyler keeps her end of the bargain.

I just want to know what events are going to take place that forces Walt to take Gus up on his $3 million offer. That scene was also so well done, and Giancarlo Esposito has been such a great addition to the show.

As far as the two Mexican brothers go, I have no idea what angle they're going with on those two. I got a real bad Anton Chigurh vibe from them that really didn't belong on this show because it came off as being so cartoony. I also want to know how they got a drawing of Walt as well. Maybe Tuco's uncle had to give a description... "Is he white?"... *DING* "Does he have hair?"... *silence*

Another damn good episode this week, one that raises more questions than it answers. I was not expecting Jesse to buy his parents house with such complacency, or for Walt to lose his cool so many times in this episode and start down a really sad path. I'm going to keep this short and succinct and just say that Breaking Bad continues to be one of the best shows on television, and that I can't wait to see where this season takes us as I really just have no idea where the show could be headed.

This and Lost are my two favorite shows on television. And unlike Lost, Breaking Bad NEVER disappoints me after every episode.

Last week's episode had so many great moments, between Walt and his new partner becoming fast friends, Bob Odenkirk continuing to kill it as Saul Goodman, as well as how Giancarlo Esposito continues to play his role with a calmness that is so chilling and great. The No Country For Old Men twins are also continuing to be awesome, between the axe to the cop at the beginning of the episode, and the fact that they not only talk now, and are going after Hank. More on that in a second. The scene with Walt and Jesse in the RV while Hank was trying to gain entry was one of the best in the entire series. I love how this show builds tension, and that was the best moment of the season so far.

As far as I'm concerned, Hank HAS to be onto Walt now. Let's not forget that he's a very good detective. He calls Walt, based on his loose connection with Jesse, and Walt acts weird on the phone. He asks if Walt has any knowledge to an RV, which Walt is curious about. Within an hour, Jesse's running out to a junkyard where the RV is. Then, he gets a call saying that his wife (by name) is in the hospital, which causes him to give up on nailing Jesse. If Hank can put the puzzle of the meth and the RV together, he has to know something is up with Walt. And as he's figuring this all out, Gus is putting the Twins on him.

I really wonder how Hank's going to get out of this one... the Twins are brutal. Furthermore, Tio wants Walt dead. Is he going to go against Gus and have the Twins kill him anyway as well? We've reached the halfway point and this show is just hitting its stride now. We're so lucky to have the chance to watch this show.

Let's get some discussion going!!

I've just started this series and am about half way through the first season. Absolutely astounding stuff. Granted, the fourth episode slowed things down a bit, but the first three just seemed to be one hit after another and set the tone for the series very well. I definitely sense I'm going to be enjoying this one for a good while. Past his newfound sense of wrecklessness and his dire need for cash, is Walter really cut out for the lifestyle he got himself a taste of in that RV in the desert? I'm going to have fun seeing how it all unfolds, that's for certain. Gosh dang, cable sure is riddled with addictive gems of shows like these. I'm hooked on this one.

is Walter really cut out for the lifestyle he got himself a taste of in that RV in the desert?
Aww. Young me. I had no idea what I was in for.

Yes, he's cut out for it. In spades.

What a bombshell of a show and what a great three seasons. Never did I expect to see the lovable, in-over-his-head, well-meaning Walter White go as far as he did. But after three seasons of tasting (and loving) the feel of being a big shot, after countless lives destroyed, and after excercising astounding degrees of self-deception, I struggle to think of a greater television journey that shows a road to hell that's paved with good intentions.

A tip of the hat to Bryan Cranston for taking us down that road. Walt justifying his actions in the auditorium at the start of the last season was uncomfortable and haunting. To know that one person gave us moments of desperate self-deception like that and at the end of the same season show us the final product of a long road to self-acceptance is astounding, and the praise he's received on this show has been well earned. It's hard to see the man at the end of season three is the same from the start of season one.

Cranston isn't alone in bringing greatness to the Breaking Bad table. Aaron Paul has reall show us many sides of Jesse and turned the de facto reprehensible junkie we dumbly saw at the start of the first season into the possibly most sympathetic character on the show. Give him his Emmy, please.

Couple those great leads with supporting players like the wild Tuco, the wise-cracking yet highly-repressed Hank, and the hauntingly calm Gus, and you'd have a hard time saying there's better acting on TV today with any better writing to give them something to chew on.

Quite simply, it's the best show that nobody seems to be watching. I know the general feeling is the show has one more season in it, but I could see two. However long it does go for, it has me by the balls for the duration of its run.

Reactions: X
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back