"Bobby" Roode a "Supporting" Character?

T2KFreeker

Getting Noticed By Management
Yeah, so after reading the last drivel that Mark Madden posted, I have to really wonder if he really watches Impact at all. Supposedly he was told by someone else in the industry that Roode is basically a long term support wrestler, not a Main Eventer. I really have to ask if they are talking about the same guy I have been watching for the last, what, eight years? This is a guy that will, without a shadow of a doubt, be TNA Heavyweight Champion. In his case, the guy is gold. Like it or not, Roode is an excellent wrestler, he's good on the stick, and he busts his ass. He has "IT", period! He proved that he was on the way when he broke off from "Team Canada" and moved to singles competition. Things were going good and then they did Beer Money. Yeah, so a detour, but I am sure that the people at TNA may have seen the fact that Roode is a viable contender for the strap and that, if given the chance with good booking, he could carry the company as a great Heel. I expect the Heel turn after the PPV. I just don't see him with Immortal. Basically stating t5hat the guy is a curtain jerker really is sad because Roode has worked really hard at becoming the wrestler that he is today and it's a diservice to the work he has put in. Don't like TNA, fine. Don't have to dog on the wrestlers that work there though just because that's where they are. I just thought I would get that out there, especially since there wasn't already a thread on it. Thoughts?

What do you expect? Guys like him live to bash TNA. They love killing TNA for pushing the "old guys". And when they go the other way, it just so happens those guys aren't good either. Remember, he buried Crimson & Abyss too.

Crimson and Abyss are garbage. Roode is overrated. And I watch TNA. I certainly dont live to bash it. Roode is a good worker, but he isnt the second coming of Arn Anderson. He's perfect for the upper mid card, but as a fixture in the main event scene? I'm just not seeing it.

However, looking at the rest of the main event scene in TNA right now, Roode is about as good as its going to get. But in the grand scheme of things in the world of wrestling, Madden is right. If Roode was in a bigger and better company, he would be upper mid card at best. He's a work horse in the ring, but his look is generic and his charisma is mediocre.

The best thing going for him right now is his passion for the business. Perhaps all he really needs is some exposure in the spotlight, but only time will tell. I just have a feeling that if he goes over Angle at BFG and wins the strap, his buzz will quickly fizzle.

TNA is pretty shit...

But i watched impact - Roode is over as fuck, and within the tna bubble, he is ready. I really liked the fortune angle/segment. I liked the WHT angle too. TNA might be shit but the Angle roode match will be awesome.

Well, unless BFG is in the impact zone. That crowd buries everything.

Current TNA fans dont understand. I was a TNA fan in 2005. WWE wasn't bad then, but TNA looked so awesome and fresh and different by comparison. I used to brag about being a TNA fan. Had AJ and Chris Daniels shirts in 2005, still wear the fallen angel shirt cause its badass.

I think that means if it starts to suck, I'm allowed to point it out.

Crimson and Abyss are garbage. Roode is overrated. And I watch TNA. I certainly dont live to bash it. Roode is a good worker, but he isnt the second coming of Arn Anderson. He's perfect for the upper mid card, but as a fixture in the main event scene? I'm just not seeing it.

However, looking at the rest of the main event scene in TNA right now, Roode is about as good as its going to get. But in the grand scheme of things in the world of wrestling, Madden is right. If Roode was in a bigger and better company, he would be upper mid card at best. He's a work horse in the ring, but his look is generic and his charisma is mediocre.

The best thing going for him right now is his passion for the business. Perhaps all he really needs is some exposure in the spotlight, but only time will tell. I just have a feeling that if he goes over Angle at BFG and wins the strap, his buzz will quickly fizzle.

Quoted for truth. Roode is actually one of the few homegrowns I like from TNA, but the comparison with Arn Anderson is spot on. TNA fans are kidding themselves if they think he's going to be this huge breakout star who puts the company on his back and takes them out of the gutter they've been in since their inception. Roode is a good talent, one of my favs infact, but he's not as good as a lot of people seem to think.

Here we go with the 2005 stuff again. Just go buy some damn ROH/Dragon Gate DVDs and call it a day. That style is not sustainable on a weekly TV program. Let it go.
Maybe you should understand that not everybody is a fan of the WWE style of wrestling.or in TNA's current case, a carbon copy of the WWE style.

That's like saying stop eating at your favorite local burger place or eating Burger King or Wendy's because the only one that matters is Mcdonald's. because they sell more burgers than everybody else.

I thought Bobby Roode was definitely going to be a main event heel in time after his "pays to be Roode" gimmick started. He was great on the mic and in the ring. Somehow his gimmick (don't quite remember the particulars) ran into James Storm's beer-swilling heel gimmick and Beer Money formed. While they've been a great tag team, I've been waiting for years, along with everybody else, for Roode to finally get this breakout time (although, I really didn't think it would've been as a face). This is exactly what TNA has to do: build up their own talent to go along with the guys that brought over; and I'm sure we'll see both Gunner and Crimson have their moments too as main event material (even though I'm not particularly a huge fan of either of them).

Yeah, maybe if Roode were in WWE he'd be an upper midcarder at best, but who cares? WWE has a formula they follow for main eventers that is rarely, if ever, based on how well a performer is in the ring, so that's a moot comparison to me.

Side-note: Please stop reading Madden; if there is any movement more worthy of any wrestling fan who doesn't have his/her head up his/her ass, it is 'stop reading Madden'. He's a hate-monger who just likes to use his "professional knowledge of the wrestling business" (because he used to have a hotline, and one time he was an announcer) to shit all over the product in general, particularly TNA. He likes to fan the flames and indirectly encourages wrestling fans (particularly on this forum) to antagonize one another. Whenever he's called out on this, he pulls the "I don't need wrestling, I have a successful radio show" which begs the question, why doesn't he just shut up and go away?

Maybe you should understand that not everybody is a fan of the WWE style of wrestling.or in TNA's current case, a carbon copy of the WWE style.

That's like saying stop eating at your favorite local burger place or eating Burger King or Wendy's because the only one that matters is Mcdonald's. because they sell more burgers than everybody else.

The indy style just won't work on a weekly basis man, the novelty of the cool moves/sequences will wear off. It's like Jim Cornette said about ECW's hardcore style. Eventually people get numb to it and you have to outdo yourself every week and come up with new spots to keep them interested.

Well "I" think he's the second coming of Arn Anderson. But that's just it, should Arn Anderson be World champ, be the guy that all your promotion should gravitate around? That's the question.

Then again if you don't have any futur Ric Flair, then the next Arn Anderson or Rick Rude is not so bad.

Personaly I think they should define Roode's character more, tell us what he is all about. Not just someone that is in Fourtune. Also I think he did a great job around 07 as a a-hole heel and to me if he has to become great, that's what he should be, a heel, that's what he's the most natural at doing. The way he would treat people was sublime and I think his promos were better when he was a heel.

Having a decent spinebuster doesnt make you the second coming of Arn Anderson. If Roode never did that move, nobody would be using him and Arn Anderson in the same sentence. That's about all they have in common. Roode isnt the "Enforcer" of Fourtune. Even when the stable was relevant, they didnt have anyone playing the definitive Enforcer role.

If Roode is the next Arn Anderson, why is he in the title picture in the first place, and not AJ Styles? Maybe thats because nobody is saying AJ is the next Ric Flair. Wouldnt it be better if we just let Roode be Roode?

I definitely agree that he needs more character development. I need more of a reason to care about him other than, "he's been in TNA for awhile" and "he has a decent spinebuster". This face run of his is very stale. I liked his heel work much better.

I wasn't referencing to his spinebuster, in fact I think he should stop using it, he should use his own moves. It's just in Roode's style of wrestling that he reminds me of guys like Arn Anderson and other top wrestlers like him that were great in what they were doing but had too much of a low brow personality to come across as the top guy and champion of a promotion. Even with the push the WWF gave to Rick Rude for example where he would kiss all the babes and so forth, it's a gimmick they hooked on him but he was actually a reserved guy and couldn't take over the scene, he wasn't a great promo guy like Flair or Dibiase. (Difference was between Rick Rude and Bobby Roode was that the WWF actually took care of giving him a character and he sold it like a million bucks. Roode doesn't have a gimmick per se, he's ill defined).

But I don't think anybody is saying that AJ is the next Flair. Managment dropped that gimmick after a while.

i honestly think mark madden is just a old moron who does those little blogs bitching on everyone and everything to just try and get attention and make people talk about him but roode is not a supporting person at all hes got more then enough talent to be in the main event id like to know who his source from impact wrestling is because i think his source is just himself

I think Roode could be a great World Champion. He has a certain swagger about him that demands attention. With the right timing and if he gives it his all I think he could go far with the strap.

I'm going to say something, but you have to let me explain:

I kind of see where Madden was coming from, comparing him to Arn Anderson. Yeah, Arn Anderson was a fantastic wrestler, a great mic man, but Madden was right; Arn Anderson wasn't Ric Flair. I could see Bobby Roode being like Anderson, in that respect. Bobby Roode isn't loud and boisterous. I think James Storm is more of that than he is. But, here's what I want to explain:

You're still comparing him to Arn Fucking Anderson. Arn was one of the most underused, under-appreciated, unrecognized legends of modern wrestling. I believe, and I firmly believe this, that he should have been a world champion somewhere, at some point in time, for at least one major promotion. When people talk about the never-weres, the greatest stars to never hold the world title, the same names usually come up are The British Bulldog, Owen Hart, Mr. Perfect, maybe Roddy Piper, etc. These men come up because they were given the legit chance and had the legit talent to get there. The only problem with Arn is that I can't remember him ever getting the legit chance, but he had beyond the legit talent for it.

So yeah, go ahead and compare Bobby Roode to Arn Anderson, Mark Madden, because Arn is an icon and one of the all-time greatest stars, ever. But, here's the key difference between Roode and Anderson: Bobby will get the legit chance that Arn never got. Sure it may be for the "lowly" TNA promotion, but he's going to be a world champion and, instead of knocking the company he works for, how about you give him the credit he deserves for getting over.

Wrong on so many levels. That is unless you're willing to say the same things about Triple-H.

Hunter does not have, and has never had, anything(aside from connections) that Bobby Roode doesn't.

-His look is comparable(unless you're as muscle obsessed as VKM, because that's all Trips has on Roode is a little bit of muscle-mass).

-He's every bit Hunter's equal in the ring- and I mean when Trips was in his prime, mind you(and that's not a knock on either man, you could typically count on both to deliver).

-He is actually slightly better on the mic IMO, Hunter has, and always has had, the tendency to get VERY boring and EXTREMELY long-winded on the mic to the point that he kills any momentum a show might have been able to build. Roode is capable of being just as effective with the stick, in a much more concise manner.

-As for charisma, unless your idea of charisma is "the best pre-match water-spitter of all-time" then Triple-H also has nothing on Bobby in that department. Roode's in-ring offensive rallies are reminiscent of Cena's, and aren't those what makes Cena so "charismatic"?(read: unless you think that one of the cockiest and most self-important men on the planet putting on an obvious fakeness while telling lots of corny jokes, and knowing how to play diectly to the kiddies, women, and most ignorant members of the crowd, is what makes Cena charismatic).

...Bottomline: Bobby Roode is no more a "supporting talent" than Hunter is. Perhaps his biggest problem is that he wasn't buddied up with the other talent with the most "stroke" or not fucking the boss's daughter(giving new meaning to the most "stroke").

I won't say that he seems like a supporting character, however, I was somewhat disappointed this past Thursday. We heard from everybody involved with Robert Roode and Kurt Angle himself. However, Roode didn't say a single word on the mic and he's really the only guy that I wanted to speak. Hell, he's the guy that won the BFG Series, he's the #1 contender for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship at TNA's biggest ppv of the year and he's really the guy that should have talked on the mic.

Don't get me wrong, it's good that they had Fortune put him over the way they did throughout the night but it's ultimately got to be Roode that solidifies interest in the angle. Having him go against the members of Fortune is a good way to keep him in the spotlight and give him some solid matches between now and then, but Roode's ultimately got to get on the mic. I know he can do it because he's done it before.

I'm going to say something, but you have to let me explain:

I kind of see where Madden was coming from, comparing him to Arn Anderson. Yeah, Arn Anderson was a fantastic wrestler, a great mic man, but Madden was right; Arn Anderson wasn't Ric Flair. I could see Bobby Roode being like Anderson, in that respect. Bobby Roode isn't loud and boisterous. I think James Storm is more of that than he is. But, here's what I want to explain:

You're still comparing him to Arn Fucking Anderson. Arn was one of the most underused, under-appreciated, unrecognized legends of modern wrestling. I believe, and I firmly believe this, that he should have been a world champion somewhere, at some point in time, for at least one major promotion. When people talk about the never-weres, the greatest stars to never hold the world title, the same names usually come up are The British Bulldog, Owen Hart, Mr. Perfect, maybe Roddy Piper, etc. These men come up because they were given the legit chance and had the legit talent to get there. The only problem with Arn is that I can't remember him ever getting the legit chance, but he had beyond the legit talent for it.

So yeah, go ahead and compare Bobby Roode to Arn Anderson, Mark Madden, because Arn is an icon and one of the all-time greatest stars, ever. But, here's the key difference between Roode and Anderson: Bobby will get the legit chance that Arn never got. Sure it may be for the "lowly" TNA promotion, but he's going to be a world champion and, instead of knocking the company he works for, how about you give him the credit he deserves for getting over.

Exactly what I said in my post. If Roode is like the Arn Anderson, Hennig, Rick Rude, guys of that quality then whoopedoo, that's fantastic because they all should have been champ.

I still think Roode's moveset should be more original, though. All these guys mentioned had all their distinctive moves. And Roode as good a wrestler as he is, never did. He should stop using Arn's spinebuster or The Perfect plex or the Crippler Crossface because then all he is doing is taking stuff from all over and then he's not his own man, his own character. That's what I mean by saying his character is still ill defined. I like how for instance Hennig had his own way to take falls like when he would hold the rope and someone would kick his leg and he would do a flip in the hair. Or how Bret Hart would fall chest first in the corner when someone would throw him. Little things like that I've never seen Roode do yet. That's because these guys were artists and were always coming up with new stuff. I don't know if Roode is there yet.

I won't say that he seems like a supporting character, however, I was somewhat disappointed this past Thursday. We heard from everybody involved with Robert Roode and Kurt Angle himself. However, Roode didn't say a single word on the mic and he's really the only guy that I wanted to speak. Hell, he's the guy that won the BFG Series, he's the #1 contender for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship at TNA's biggest ppv of the year and he's really the guy that should have talked on the mic.

Don't get me wrong, it's good that they had Fortune put him over the way they did throughout the night but it's ultimately got to be Roode that solidifies interest in the angle. Having him go against the members of Fortune is a good way to keep him in the spotlight and give him some solid matches between now and then, but Roode's ultimately got to get on the mic. I know he can do it because he's done it before.

After watching that it came across like TNA were not confident enough to give him the ball on the mic. Wich is scary when someone is about to become champion, your flagship.

I think Bobby Roode could make a good world champion if they actually pull trigger and let him win the title at Bound For Glory. He's really over right now and like another poster said he does have presense about him.

I do agree with Jack-Hammer about Roode not talking on Impact. I would have liked for him to say something since he did win the BFG Series. But other than that I think they have done a good job of building him up I think he's ready.

I compare him with Arn Anderson because Arn was a terrific in-ring talent who lacked the charisma to draw stink to a monkey. I'm not one of those people who fell in love with Arn Anderson via youtube, I've been a fan of his since the 80's but even then I never for a second thought of Anderson as a guy who could be a top guy for any major organization. I feel the same way about Robert Roode, but it's TNA so I won't doubt for a minute that he will get the belt. I just don't see him doing anything with it.

The thing people seem to forget, or have never seen, is that Roode is an outstanding Heel. Not only can he do something worthwhile with the belt, I hope they do this. Roode would be great as the top Heel with a good face chasing for the belt. It would work well. Just go back and see his older singles work pre Beer Money if you don't think so. As I said before, he was gaining momentum and the fans were sending some serious Heat his way and if not for the Beer Money thing being so successful, I really can see Roode being one of the best things to happen at TNA, especially as a Homegrown Talent. Can we also quite with this, "Well, it is TNA" line of thinking because this has nothing to do with the company, per say and more to do with an excellent wrestler that could add credibility to the championship belt. I could care less where Roode is, he would be great as a Champion wherever and he would be viable for it to boot.

Robert Roode

With TNA since 2004. He is a solid in ring performer and can hold his own on a mic.

He might have been the greatest wrestlers who never won the big one, and you may consider him as second coming of Arn Anderson, but he has been given the opportunity that those other greats did not get. And what is this opportunity you ask? It is not a random, probable chance at the TNA World Heavyweight Title that anyone could get. It is the shot at the most prestigious title in the organisation that he works in; at the most prestigious event of that organisation; against arguably the best wrestler in the world today and of all times; after 7 long years of having been in the organisation; as a result of having won the 'Bound For Glory' series against 11 others.

It's a very simple story. A long time veteran, still young, finally getting the opportunity to make it big in the business. He doesn't need any other character at this point of time. He does not need to turn heel at this very time or in near future. He does not need to speak on mic every single episode of TNA Impact upto Bound For Glory. This story as it stands is enough for creating a moment that the fans (the ones that will watch it) will remeber for their lives. A battle with the ring general Kurt Angle, where he and Kurt give everything that they've got in the ring and one guy emerges the winner

You must have noticed that during last Thursday's Impact Tapings that while everyone in the Fortune spoke their minds, praised Robert Roode, Roode himself did not speak. In my mind, this is very clever booking. There is some sort of anticipation from us fans to find out what he thinks, feels about Bound For Glory. He will speak. Eventually. It won't be a mesmerising promo, but I will tell you what it will be.

It will be straight from his heart, he's gonna tear his heart into that promo and that promo itself is going to determine the fan interest in the show and the match for Bound For Glory.

He might eventually not become a 'Superstar' but as of this moment, he has been chosen. This is his last and only chance to break-out and at Bound for Glory, we all will find out whether he suceeds or does not.

Having the BFG series be as souped up and marketed as it was, it kinda feels like an anti-climax to have Roode lose his big match against Angle, doesn't it? Angle was rushed into this heel storyline, and loose association with Jeff Jarrett and Immortal...and why??? Ultimately he is doing it to get back at Dixie for lying about Jarrett and Karen???

The Kurt Angle character is very flawed right now...I think it is a good time for some new blood to win the title, and get Kurt off tv. I would like to see, for once, a completely clean win for Bobby Roode, if Immortal does come to the ring, it should be done in a way that does not cheapen Bobby's win at all.

Angle should then be outed from Immortal just like Anderson, violently even, perhaps via Jeff Jarrett guitar.

I would like for Roode to win the belt, and keep the belt for a long time, but he will need some sort of mouthpeice. He is not very charismatic, at least yet.

Let Bully Ray and Immortal fued with the likes of RVD and Anderson for a bit, and let the world title be removed from the political controversy of all things Immortal.

A series of clean wins for the new champ would do a lot to solidify Roode in upper echelon status and re-legitimize the title as it has changed hands a million times in the past year or so.

Perhaps one by one, Roode can give title shots to Fortune members, and James Storm assuming he is first in line....but instead Roode chooses A.J. Styles, which can be the start of friction and heat between Storm and Roode. Then Roode can slight Storm again by responding to a challenge from Kazarian...just food for thought I guess...

I would like to see James Storm become jealous and even play up his characters drinking habit a bit...

Roode is actually one of the few homegrowns I like from TNA, but the comparison with Arn Anderson is spot on. TNA fans are kidding themselves if they think he's going to be this huge breakout star who puts the company on his back and takes them out of the gutter they've been in since their inception. Roode is a good talent, one of my favs infact, but he's not as good as a lot of people seem to think.

Bobby Roode Has "it", the same "it" that HHH has (i'm not comparing the two men, i'm just saying) IMHO, Roode is about to blow up and become a huge star, and get tna out of the "gutter" (which i don't think they are in a gutter and i enjoy about every impact)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back