New Bobby Roode Interview

Papa Pillman

I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan
During this past weekend's Impact tapings Bobby Roode did a ten question interview with Dean Ayass that was posted today. It can be read here:
http://whatculture.com/wwe/10-questions-tnas-bobby-roode.php/2

Some of the quotes from Roode that I found most interesting...

Asked how many more years he intended to wrestle, Roode said:
Right now, physically, I feel good. I think I have a lot of years left to serve here, a lot of great years left. So long as I am able to go out there and produce great matches and keep the fans intrigued, and stay healthy, I think I have a lot of years left. Once I’m physically unable to do this any more, I’d like to stay in some sort of role where I can help guys get to certain points in their careers. But for right now, obviously the most important thing for me is my career and to continually get better, and to re-iterate the other question you just asked me, to once again become the World Heavyweight Champion and be the top guy in this company.

Speaking on the backstage atmosphere of the company:
You know, in wrestling, the morale can be up and down a lot, and that’s with any company. But right now, the morale is very good. I think we’re on pace right now to do some great things in the near future and to make that TNA brand even bigger.

That could very well be Roode just playing the role of good employee and toeing the company line, but it does back-up reports from the UK tour of current morale being in a positive place.

Roode's response when asked about TNA's potential 2014 breakout stars:
I think there’s a couple of different guys that come to mind. Ethan Carter’s a guy that I think has an opportunity to become a huge star here in the next year. Tag team wise, The Wolves are coming up to TNA to become household names, and The Bro-Mans, I think, given the right circumstances, have opportunities to become big stars as well. Time will tell. There’s some new stars and some fresh faces that are going to be starting up here in the next month or so as well, so it’s kinda unpredictable, you know, it’s early right now, but if I had to say, those would probably be the guys.

I found that bolded section especially interesting. Could Roode merely be referring to the likes of Tigre Uno and Sanada who were just debuting or could he be foreshadowing some new additions perhaps set for the next set of Impact and ONO tapings set for mid April?

And the final question for Roode addressed his choice for a dream opponent if TNA could bring in any wrestler in the world. Bobby's take:
Well, unfortunately, the guy that I would want to have my dream match against is no longer with us, and that’s Curt Hennig. The guy was my inspiration to get into the business and I would’ve loved to have had a match with him. But honestly, if there’s one guy who I’d love to have back here, to have one last match with, it’d be AJ Styles.

While the love for Hennig was nice, and I can definitely see where Bobby was influenced by Curt, the more interesting point here was the one about Styles. I love the subtle lobbying by Roode for the company to bring AJ back into the fold. Everyone realizes that the company made a mistake letting Styles walk, and I like seeing Roode not completely shy away from finding a way to state that.

Anyone have any thoughts on this interview?

Ha wow, a dream match of any current talent and he chooses one he's already wrestled! Well Roode and Styles have always had great matches. I loved their Ironman match at Final Resolution, both just played the hero and villain roles so well. The pair of them are elite level wrestlers.

I've never really given much thought to another Roode world title reign. I just can't envision him winning the belt again. It wouldn't surprise me if he never touched the title again. He's the longest reigning champ so he still has that accolade. I'd like it he did a face world title run because I've always enjoyed his face work.

I've never really given much thought to another Roode world title reign. I just can't envision him winning the belt again. It wouldn't surprise me if he never touched the title again. He's the longest reigning champ so he still has that accolade. I'd like it he did a face world title run because I've always enjoyed his face work.
That's surprising for me to hear. If it were ROH I'd be right with you, as former world champions never get second runs in that company(in fact Aries is the only one who has- and that was years later, after a hiatus, and with a different character). But TNA, like WWE, and like most wrestling companies in history actually, doesn't subscribe to that method. In TNA I always figure as long as a guy isn't too old, which Roode isn't, if he's amongst the company's most deserving talents, which Roode obviously is, and he stays around the top of the card then eventually he'll get another chance to wear the strap. Do I think Bully will get another reign? Probably not because of age. Do I think Sabin will get another reign? Probably not, he's a career mid-carder who got a sentimental title win. I do think there's a solid chance that guys like Hardy and Anderson will eventually hold the world title again. And the former champions who are "TNA guys" like Roode and Storm seem like no-brainers to eventually hold the highest prize for a second time.

I would love another Roode reign. I actually think he's had the best World Title run as champion in that company since probably Sting or Angle back in the late 2000's. That run put him on the map. Anytime I see him now, I see him as "former World Heavyweight Champion", or "longest reigning World Heavyweight Champion", Bobby Roode. Beer Money is an afterthought, and his time spent feuding with EY over his contractual obligations, Team Canada and even his work with Traci Brooks are all second, third, fourth, etc. to it.

The Hennig thing is spot on, though that's no real secret. If it is, it's the worst kept in the company. His original finisher, the Payoff, was The Perfect Plex, or Fisherman's Suplex, and when you really watch the details of how Roode works, the way he sells especially with really exaggerated Flair-like sales tactics, you can tell he's imitating and paying respect to Hennig every time.

Bobby Roode's long title reign was the best World Title reign possibly in the history of the company itself. TNA needs more championship reigns like that to legitimize their belt. The interview is interesting especially with Roode saying he'd like to have faced Curt Hennig because I see a lot of him in what Bobby does. Also, the Styles reference is interesting consider he is on the outs with TNA. So that won't happen for the forseeable future anyway.

I'd like to see Bobby Roode have at least one more reign as TNA champion. He's good on mic, one of the best wrestlers on the roster & is someone I look forward to watching on any TNA card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back