Big time matches that didn't live up to the expectations.

BestWrestlingOpinions

Getting Noticed By Management
Over the years, we have seen some incredible matches, with great build ups leading to them. Punk vs Cena is a really good example. Bryan vs Cena also.

On the other side though, we have seen great build ups, really personal feuds and months of promos and back and forth brawls culminating in a big stage match (like at Wrestlemania) and the match was just disappointing. It didn't get the crowd going, it didn't have good psychology or pace and in general, it was just a let down for the investment of all those weeks / months of promos, tv time and such.

One of those matches that come to mind is Orton vs HHH @ WM25. The roots of the feud were planted since the Evolution days, fired up again at 2007 and now, in 2009, they go at it again, with a really long build and segments/promos that really made this feud as personal as it gets. Everyone was excited to see that match, or at least I was, but come WM, the match just didn't work out. It was a bad match and in my opinion, it had the wrong outcome with HHH going over.

Of course, that match had to follow the Undertaker vs HBK classic as the main event of WM25, and people might have actually been exhausted by it, but it still didn't live up to the expectation.

What other matches like this one do you guys recall?

Hands down... Brock Lesner vs Goldberg.

The buildup wasn't outstanding by any means... But seeing these guys get a Wrestlemania match with Stone Cold as the referee... Should have been gold. Turned out worse than anyone could have imagined. The IWC knowing both guys were having their last matches didn't help things, but the match was just slow, boring, and really sloppy.

As long as I'm going with Goldberg... His debut against "Heel" Rock was terrible. I mean, you're talking one of the biggest guys in WCW going up against arguably the biggest guy in the WWE... But that match with the Rock, who was just coming off of beating Stone Cold Steve Austin, was just a let down. WWE should have let the Rock be the Rock if they were going to have him face Goldberg. Just about every other WCW guy that came over was made to bow down to whoever they faced in the WWE except for Goldberg. Obviously, Goldberg was promised so many wins when he signed his deal, but he was allowed to destroy "Heel" Rock and that was the end of it. Can't believe it was allowed to happen the way it did. Not very entertaining for a long time WWE guy. Goldberg winning wasn't the problem... Not having a 100% Rock versus Goldberg was the problem.

Off the top of my head...

Brock vs Goldberg: I was SALIVATING over this match at the time as they were the two most OP guys on the roster. This should have been a freaking war and having Austin as ref was the cherry on top. Instead, it was an absolute snooze-fest where the infuriated crowd stole the show.

Orton vs HHH (WM 25): I've never been a fan of their matches, but the story leading into this one was so awesome that it actually got me drooling over their Mania 25 match. It was basically just them trying to one-up each other every week in terms of doing horrible things to one another and Orton's heat was insane. Like Brock vs Goldberg, this match should have been absolute carnage but instead that ridiculous stipulation was added where if HHH would lose the title if he got DQ'd or something, forcing them to have a regular match. You don't break into each other's homes and beat/semi-rape their wife and settle it with a normal wrestling match. It also didn't help that Triple H just kinda won, with nothing special at all happening during the match.

Rock vs Cena II: I loved their first match (and I'm partially biased because I attended it live) and while I wasn't exactly enthralled at the idea of a rematch, I figured it had to be good given their first performance. Instead, it was pretty bland match and that rapid-fire finisher-reversal sequence at the end was so dumb that I laughed out loud watching it live. Additionally, Cena was obviously going to win and that eliminated any intrigue the match had.

Matt Hardy vs Jeff Hardy (WM 25): Here's a random one. In hindsight, my expectations were extraordinarily high for this even with the absurdity of the angle. It was extreme rules, a stipulation these two excel at, so I figured that they'd do all manner of bat-shit crazy stuff to each other. The match was bad, but it was just "meh" compared to what I thought/hoped it would be. Maybe they should have just made it a ladder match since that's both of their specialties and had the remains of Jeff's charred dog suspended above the ring or something.

Brock vs HHH (pretty much all of them): They're decent-to-good matches on paper, but the idea that a past-his-prime Trips could stand up and, at times, completely own the guy that made John Cena his bitch for 20 minutes never sat well with me. Plus, they're just a weird pairing and I always felt that their styles clashed a bit.

I remember hearing how great Hogan Vs Andre was, but outside of its more memorable spots, it wasn't very good. Admittedly I blame my expectations, not the performers involved.

Even though I dont know if I would count this as a 'big time' match, when Rusev and Reigns fought on either Raw or Smackdown, I was soooo bored out of my mind. I thought they'd provide an interesting match, but it sucked.

I actually really like this topic. Props.

A few come to mind. Some have been mentioned and some havent so I'll list the ones that haven't.

Hogan vs HBK at Summerslam 2005
Let's be honest...nobody thought this match was going to be great technical match but with two of the greatest in ring preformers of all time in there it should have been a great story. HBK finally turned somewhat of a heel after having returned 3 years prior and it made for some really compelling television. Throw in some worked-shoot promos and you've got yourself a headline for the 2nd biggest PPV of the year.

The match should have been ridiculously memorable...and it was...but for all the wrong reasons.

Hogan vs Sting at Starrcade 1997
For starters, the match itself was slow and really, one of the worst big time main event matches in the history of the business. For as much build as it received, it was too short, told a horrible story and was overbooked in a way no main event of this caliber should ever be. Also, Hogan, who had creative control of his on-screen character because Eric Bischoff had it written into his contract as a way to help get him to sign with WCW, simply decided he didn't want to do a clean job to Sting, likely because it would kill a lot of his heat, and he was real hot at the time. This seems downright goofy to you and I but ego and greed are powerful things and Hogan was overrun with both.

Other than some matches that have already been mentioned:

WrestleMania 21 - World Heavyweight Championship: Triple H (C) vs. Batista

WrestleMania 21 was a real low point in wrestling in my opinion. The show started off great and the entire first half of the show was awesome, then the second half was just absolute garbage, especially the WWE Championship and World Heavyweight Championship matches. I'm focusing more on this match because I feel this was the bigger disappointment. At no point in the match did it ever look like Triple H had any chance of winning. He didn't even get to put up a fight against the man he mentored. The match was just 15+ minutes of Batista absolutely annihilating Triple H, and I feel it severely hurt Triple H's status as a top star, to see a guy who had never really done anything at a singles level just decimate him so easily. Triple H was made to look like a complete joke to put over Batista, and in the long run it was the wrong call to make.

SummerSlam 2006 - Randy Orton vs. Hulk Hogan

Unlike a lot of people, I had no problem with Hogan winning this match. My problem is that, again, I felt the match never made Orton seem like a threat to Hogan. This match ended the Legend Killer gimmick permanently, because of how soundly Hogan thrashed Orton.

SummerSlam 2008 - Hell in a Cell Match: Edge vs. The Undertaker

I felt and still feel to this day that Edge should have been the one to end The Streak. He was white hot and on the verge of shattering the glass ceiling and becoming THE top heel in WWE history. While WWE decided to have him lose at WrestleMania, they still had a chance to make up for it here, but blew it again. With the exception of the TLC Match at One Night Stand (where a dozen guys helped him win), Edge jobbed clean to Undertaker in every one of their five PPV matches, which ended his run as a true top star just as it was reaching its peak. Edge went on to win several more World Championships and main event the next three WrestleManias, but never became THE MAN he could have been had he won this feud.

I honestly can't think of a better example than Triple H vs. Randy Orton at Wrestlemania 25.

I consider this one of my favorite feuds in history, definitely in my top five and I've been watching wrestling for a little under eight years. I've never seen a better heel than Randy Orton leading up to this match. Punting Vince McMahon, kissing Stephanie McMahon - WWE really went the extra mile with this rivalry. Triple H breaking into Orton's house was very memorable for me. But the match... was terrible. As aforementioned, it had to follow The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels, so I give it some slack, but Triple H and Randy Orton individually are great wrestlers and I expected so much more.

By the way, the guy who said Edge vs. The Undertaker at Summerslam was bad is out of his/her mind. That match was phenomenal and the right guy won. Edge had just banished The Undertaker prior to this match and it was Undertaker's return. He had to win. Edge's heel heat was through the roof either way. Plus he had an awesome return at No Way Out the next year.

By the way, the guy who said Edge vs. The Undertaker at Summerslam was bad is out of his/her mind. That match was phenomenal and the right guy won. Edge had just banished The Undertaker prior to this match and it was Undertaker's return. He had to win. Edge's heel heat was through the roof either way. Plus he had an awesome return at No Way Out the next year.

Edge jobbed to Undertaker in every one of their PPV matches except the TLC match, where he had help from half a dozen guys. Edge should have won the Hell in a Cell, and the fact that he didn't is the reason he never became THE guy in the company like he should have become. He competed in main event matches at the next three WrestleManias but never headlined the event again, and was used only as a transitional champion between others. That loss ended Edge's run as the top guy.

And what "awesome return" at No Way Out are you talking about? After losing the Hell in a Cell he was only gone until Survivor Series.

HHH vs Scott Steiner - the match these two had at the Royal Rumble was dreadful. But this feud had one of the best buildups it was fantastically done just a shame the match sucked. Steiner was done at this point and HHH was going through his too bulked up to move phase.

I can't agree on Hogan vs HBK as I thought that match was great. Goldberg vs Lesnar would most likely had been better had they both not been leaving at that point.

There are few that spring to mind.

Cena vs. Rock II - I thought their first match was great. The Rock looked like he hadn't lost a step and there was some genuine uncertainty as to who would come out on top. Ironically, I enjoyed the build up of the "sequel", if you will, much more than the first one as it had a more serious tone about it. We didn't hear a lot of juvenile quips out of The Rock, Cena wasn't trying to be overly friendly and I just enjoyed it more. The match itself, however, left a lot to be desired. I give The Rock credit for hanging in there and continuing the match through the injury, but the performance of the match wasn't there. Another big problem was The Rock's cardio just wasn't up to snuff as he'd been focusing on building & maintaining muscle mass for movie roles. Worst of all was that it was for the WWE Championship, so you knew that John Cena was gonna walk out the champion because The Rock was gonna disappear after WrestleMania to get back to his movie career. Just a lackluster outing altogether.

The Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar - While this will be thought of as a classic bout because of the outcome, the match itself just simply wasn't that great. A lot of people, myself included, weren't crazy about this match in the first place because of the potential risk to Taker's safety. He gets hurt during the match and, I give him props for continuing, but it was obvious that Taker just didn't have it in this match. It was the first time he ever really looked "old" in my eyes, he wasn't in great shape, his cardio wasn't up to par and I just kept getting the sense that the wear & tear had caught up with him to the degree that it meant it was time to hang it up. The crowd wasn't into the match because nobody thought Lesnar would end the streak, but the fact that he did will leave this as one of the most talked about wrestling matches in WrestleMania history.

Ironic how several posts in this topic have Hulk Hogan as one of the participants in the "worst match" category. Well, let me add to that.

Hogan vs. The Rock
at WM18 was rotten as a wrestling match. First, it was the first time two part-timers tangled at the biggest show of the year. Thankfully, it wasn't the main event, but the theme of the match left me dry: Hogan was the big hero while Rock.....a good guy for years, even after he left WWE .....turned bad for one night. Ugh.

My chief problem was having Hogan in the ring this late in his life: he was slow as friggin' molasses. The Rock, whatever you think of his wrestling abilities, had a reputation for being lightning fast in the ring. His repertoire wasn't technically the greatest, but everything he did was done with great speed, making his matches exciting to watch.

So, how was the Hogan-Rock match contested? Obviously, since Hogan had no way of speeding up, Rock had to slow down his routine to accommodate Hogan.

The result was a stinker of a match: Hogan was so damn slow that Rock's offense looked pathetic.....and Hogan, who didn't have speed even in his prime, stood and waited for Rock to come to him so he could deliver his "devastating" shots. ("Hey, slow down, Dwayne! Stop all this runnin' around and let me hit you, brother!")

Presuming there was anyone who had high expectations for this match, it had to constitute a huge disappointment. As a spectacle, Hogan-Rock was an event.....as a wrestling match, it sucked.

Brock vs. Goldberg, Wrestlemania 20.

That match not only didn't live up to expectations, it didn't live up to being a freaking match. Austin had to stun both of them just to make sure the crowd didn't riot.

Bret vs. Shawn at WrestleMania XII. Could and should have been a classic, but Michaels' ego wouldn't allow him to take a pinfall from Hart, so it dragged on, and on... and on. Sure, both guys were phenomenal workers, but it's the pinfalls that build suspense in those bouts. So what we got was a good match, rather than a great one.

Their criminally overlooked and essentially forgotten main event match for the WWF Championship at Survivor Series 1992 was their best. WWE has posted the full match on YouTube for free, so no need to pay $9.99! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpJddNlGjxc

I actually really like this topic. Props.

Hogan vs Sting at Starrcade 1997
For starters, the match itself was slow and really, one of the worst big time main event matches in the history of the business. For as much build as it received, it was too short, told a horrible story and was overbooked in a way no main event of this caliber should ever be. Also, Hogan, who had creative control of his on-screen character because Eric Bischoff had it written into his contract as a way to help get him to sign with WCW, simply decided he didn't want to do a clean job to Sting, likely because it would kill a lot of his heat, and he was real hot at the time. This seems downright goofy to you and I but ego and greed are powerful things and Hogan was overrun with both.

Even weirder for me, was Hogan vs Sting at SuperBrawl 1998.

After the screwjob finish at Starrcade and the vacating of the title, this was the proper blow off. They got the finish right this time at least. But the match was bad and boring. The feud was Sting finally getting his hands on Hogan again, so Sting runs to the ring and what happens? Hogan beats him down with his weight belt for like 10 minutes (I may be exaggerating). But what a stupid way to start the match. It killed the energy in the building and made Sting look weak and dumb. Sting should have charged the ring and made Hogan his bitch for the first 10 minutes until Hogan finally cheated his way back to the offensive.

There are many examples like this in WCW. Hogan vs Warrior at Halloween Havoc obviously fits right in here too.

Everyone else has already mentioned some of mine. Goldberg/Lesnar. Rock/CenaII. Both HHH/Scott Steiner matches could be added here as well. The feud or buildup wasn't necessarily anything special, but the matches certainly were terrible.

The Rock Vs Stone Cold WM17; Austin's heel turn is the only image from the match that remains and it was a poor turn; no logic behind it really.

Bret V Shawn at WM 12 was an epic show of endurance. But it was boring and could have had some more falls to add to the drama. Thousands walked out of the building before the end of the match.

Bill Goldberg v Hogan was rushed so quickly it ruined a potential massive PPV payday for WCW.

Warrior v Sgt Slaughter Rumble 1991 and Hogan Vs Sid Vicious WM8 were dire. Hogans Survivor Series 1991 effort with Undertaker was bad too.

Hogan V Yokozuna 1993 King Of the Ring was rubbish too.

Sad that a lot of these are Hogan; and in Hogan's defense; a lot of his matches were exciting against the likes of - Savage (WM5), Warrior (WM6) and against Flair in WCW.

The Rock Vs Stone Cold WM17; Austin's heel turn is the only image from the match that remains and it was a poor turn; no logic behind it really.

Bret V Shawn at WM 12 was an epic show of endurance. But it was boring and could have had some more falls to add to the drama. Thousands walked out of the building before the end of the match.

Bill Goldberg v Hogan was rushed so quickly it ruined a potential massive PPV payday for WCW.

Warrior v Sgt Slaughter Rumble 1991 and Hogan Vs Sid Vicious WM8 were dire. Hogans Survivor Series 1991 effort with Undertaker was bad too.

Hogan V Yokozuna 1993 King Of the Ring was rubbish too.

Sad that a lot of these are Hogan; and in Hogan's defense; a lot of his matches were exciting against the likes of - Savage (WM5), Warrior (WM6) and against Flair in WCW.

The Rock Vs Stone Cold WM17 - Regardless of logic that was one hell of a match, the best between those two in my opinion. I agree though the heel turn in the way it was done (pairing with Vince) wasn't right for Austin's character. I think it would have been better had he hit Vince with the stunner after winning the match in the way he did. So it was like he used Vince and the heel part comes from doing anything to get the title.

Bill Goldberg v Hogan - it was still a good match though, the idea not to do this on a PPV was a stupid decision by WCW but the match still lived up to the hype as far as I'm concerned.

Hogan V Yokozuna 1993 King Of the Ring - I don't even think this match was that hyped. Hogan barely showed up on TV between Mania 9 and KOTR 93 anyway so I don't think there really was much hype or a build up.

I got one for ya
Wrestlemania 13..Sid vs. Undertaker

A match that happened about 5 years too late IMO.
This match would've been better back at WM8!!
Long before the injury bug started biting these guys!
Coming off of the monster push at SummerSlam 91,they should've kept Sid as a face.
Sid could've stopped the streak at 1!!
From the moment he entered the WWF/E you could almost feel the pull of these two colliding!!

Starrcade 90- Sting vs Black Scorpion. After a long build the feud was finally going to be resolved in a steel cage. This should of been a brutal and epic grudge match with a climatic ending. Instead it just became a joke in WCW history.

Starrcade 90- Sting vs Black Scorpion. After a long build the feud was finally going to be resolved in a steel cage. This should of been a brutal and epic grudge match with a climatic ending. Instead it just became a joke in WCW history.

Agreed it was awful and it was awful because in the end it was Ric Flair. Which didn't make a lick of sense. I know they thought they were going to get the Ultimate Warrior but that would have been a horrible way to introduce him. Maybe if it had been Lex Luger that would have worked, could have said he wanted to mess with Sting so he could take the title from it. Of course to do that he would have actually have had to win the match.

Most of Hogan's big matches had epic builds and failed to deliver anything good match wise. Partly due to Hogan simply being an average at best worker, GREAT Charisma, off the charts charisma, but not a good worker. Also, WWE often protected Hogan by only booking him against, large, slow, immobile guys who themselves couldn't work well, so he wouldn't be upstaged. Big payoff matches against guys like Earthquake, King Kong Bundy (WM II), Sid (WM VIII), were HORRIBLE....the WM bout vs Slaughter was marginally better but with the political climate at the time it made sense for Hogan to win a squash.

Hogan's politicking RE: the match ending hurt Starrcade 97, but so did Sting who appeared overweight and out of shape, looking nothing like he had when he disappeared in late 96. Sting performed badly in that match, which should have had Hogan cheat blatantly for the win, special guest ref from earlier in the evening Brett Hart, fresh of Montreal, come down and re start the match so there wont be "Starrcade Screw Job" and let Sting win clean.

Given the poor ending to SC then the blow off match at SuperBrawl 98 should have had Sting go over clean but we got another screw job ending, this time courtesy of Savage. Sting never looked like a credible champ because he was often dominated in his matches with Hogan and couldn't beat him clean, not a good look for the supposed dominant hero character. The fact that Hogan put over Luger clean by submission (and had to cheat like crazy to beat him in the re match), put over Piper clean (non title match, but still Starrcade Main Event), and tapped to Flair's figure four and had to be saved by the NWO at Clash Of Champions made it worse. Heel Hogan had put over in some fashion his other WCW nemesis, just not Sting. Still if STing had been in shape we could have gotten better matches even with poorly booked endings (like Flair-Hogan SuperBrawl 99).

I give Hogan-Andre a pass based on Andre's age and health. He was at the very end and wasn't the same. Their Shea Stadium match a few years earlier was better.

The Rock Vs Stone Cold WM17 - Regardless of logic that was one hell of a match, the best between those two in my opinion. I agree though the heel turn in the way it was done (pairing with Vince) wasn't right for Austin's character. I think it would have been better had he hit Vince with the stunner after winning the match in the way he did. So it was like he used Vince and the heel part comes from doing anything to get the title.

Bill Goldberg v Hogan - it was still a good match though, the idea not to do this on a PPV was a stupid decision by WCW but the match still lived up to the hype as far as I'm concerned.

Hogan V Yokozuna 1993 King Of the Ring - I don't even think this match was that hyped. Hogan barely showed up on TV between Mania 9 and KOTR 93 anyway so I don't think there really was much hype or a build up.

There is a difference between a match having a bad ending that doesn't satisfy the audience/make sense story wise and the match itself being bad. Hogan-Goldberg was about as good a match as Hogan had with anyone not named Flair post 1990. It was very good, regardless of wether it should have been on PPV. Likewise Austin-Rock WM 17 had a bad ending that didn't make sense and lead to an unpopular storyline but the overall match was excellent.

I think Hogan phoned it in at King of Ring 93 because he knew with the federal steroid investigation he wouldn't likely be back anytime soon, if ever and he had a TV deal in place (or very close) for his syndicated Thunder In Paradise show.

There is a difference between a match having a bad ending that doesn't satisfy the audience/make sense story wise and the match itself being bad. Hogan-Goldberg was about as good a match as Hogan had with anyone not named Flair post 1990. It was very good, regardless of wether it should have been on PPV. Likewise Austin-Rock WM 17 had a bad ending that didn't make sense and lead to an unpopular storyline but the overall match was excellent.

I think Hogan phoned it in at King of Ring 93 because he knew with the federal steroid investigation he wouldn't likely be back anytime soon, if ever and he had a TV deal in place (or very close) for his syndicated Thunder In Paradise show.

You know I was disagreeing with someone else right? I wasn't listing those matches for myself.

That the WM17 match should be included don't you? That was probably quality match for match wise the best Mania of all time and the main event was the best match of the night. I was simply commenting that I did however agree that the finish didn't work.

I was also disagreeing that Goldberg Hogan should be listed but agreed it should have been saved for PPV, I really don't think that's a reason to list it mind.

The KOTR 93 comment I made was I don't think you can include that match as it wasn't that hyped.

After reading all your responses, I can't help but point out that almost all the matches that you guys brought up are from either WCW, WWF and definitely prior to 2000.
Hogan is mostly involved in many bad matches too.

We could continue this topic by asking you guys this:
-Why are you all referring to older matches and not newer ones? Is it maybe because there aren't many big build ups the past 10 years? Or maybe the in-ring action is at least average?

If I could take a swing to answer this, I'd say that the WRESTLING in matches is way way better at this era, dare I say it is the best of all time. We have so many excellent workers in the ring. This means that a good feud with culminate in a at least decent match. Also, on the downside, it seems like there are lazy bookings as far as progressing feuds goes, which really doesn't help the original topic either.

I don't get how anyone says Austin turning heel at Wrestlemania 17 was "a bad ending that didn't make any sense". Neither Rock or Austin were the same superstar they were 2 years before. Rock was a much, much better superstar than he was when he faced Austin in 1999, he dominated the WWF and replaced Austin at the top while he was away. And Austin had just come back from injury, he had went through a year of hell, and he failed to win his feud against Triple H. He was desperate to get back on top again, hence the "I need this, Rock, I need this more than you can ever know" in his sitdown interview with JR on Smackdown, so he sold his soul to "the devil" and his nemesis to do that. What's the part that doesn't make sense?

Anyway, Stone Cold vs. The Undertaker at Summerslam 1998. The build up was absolutely phenomenal, it was Wrestlemania-like. The "Highway To Hell" video still gives me goosebumps to this day when I watch it. But during the match, Austin took that accidental headbutt to his jaw from Taker which caused him to slow down for the rest of the match. Had it not happened, it could've been great, but then again I've also heard that Undertaker was coming into the match, also injured. It still turned out to be a decent match though for two guys that were injured.

A few that spring to mind that haven't already been said

Hollywood Hogan vs Warrior at Halloween Havoc '98 - Big, big build for this match with the idea that finally we would get the Wrestlemania 6 rematch. We all know it ended up stinking out the joint and that Warrior was just hired back to get Hogan his W over Warrior but this match was just abysmal. Even worse than the Piper vs Hogan cage match from Halloween Havoc '97.

This would be a big reason why WCW fell behind WWF in 1998 I think. Hogan was great at building matches but the payoffs were always just terrible. You can only let people down so many times before they turn on you.

Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio at Wrestlemania 21 - Not a bad match but I think people were expecting fireworks for this one and ended up with a very humdrum opener to Wrestlemania. Honestly I don't think these two had great chemistry in the ring and they did their best work together in WCW in the mid-90s.

Chris Jericho vs CM Punk at Wrestlemania 28 - In fact this whole feud just reeked off missed opportunity. I think everyone was expecting this match, and feud, to be an instant classic. Two great talkers and two great workers facing off over the WWE Championship at Mania, what could go wrong?

A lot as it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back