Big Bang Theory

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
No, not the television show (that just came out on DVD) but instead.. the real deal.

In the next few days a world first will take place that have some believing we could be facing the end of everything as we know it.

Next Wednesday, scientists in an underground lab in Switzerland will switch on the large hadron collider: a massive atom smasher designed to recreate the Big Bang, the moment when universe was formed.

Twenty years in the making, it has been funded and built by 8000 scientists from 85 different countries, including New Zealand.

But what critics fear is that activating the collider could create a massive black hole that would swallow the earth.

Should we be worried?

Professor Brian Cox from Manchester University helped build the collider, and he describes it as a 'time machine back to the beginning of the universe'.

First, scientists will send beams of particles around the 27km ring-shaped underground tunnel at almost the speed of light.

If that works, they will start sending out particles in opposite directions, smashing them into each other to recreate the very first moments of the Big Bang.

In other words, to watch the universe being created.

"I think it's right up there," says Prof Cox. "It's certainly the most exciting (experiment) for a generation at least.

"Could be biggest in a century."

Huge particle detectors, essentially massive cameras, will start taking photos of something scientists have never seen before.

And what do they hope to find? Everything. What took place when the universe dawned 14 billion years ago? How did mass emerge? And what is it? And what about dark matter? Scientists know it's out there but cannot detect it.

"We could find extra dimensions in the universe," says Prof Cox. "Could be other ones, could find we live on a sheet in the universe."

Is it too early to ask what use this knowledge might be?

"No it isn't," says Prof Cox, "and we get asked it all the time by governments that contribute money. Look back in history. Go back to Ernest Rutherford - he discovered the atomic nucleus, which led to quantum theory, modern electronics...the list is endless.

"Understanding the universe is not a bad idea. This is understanding the universe at the most fundamental level and it's served us well so far. If you'd asked Rutherford, he would have had no idea the technology that would have come from the knowledge, but technology always comes from knowledge.

Would Rutherford have imagined anything like this?

"He would have been astonished."

But the most powerful particle collider in the world has some people scared. Critics say the LHC could create a black hole that could engulf the earth. Some have tried to take legal action to stop the experiment going ahead.

"It's just complete nonsense. If you go around the internet you'll see a couple of loudmouths...it's completely unscientific. This happens all the time in nature, we're getting hit by particles all the time, from space, it's nonsense.

"The louder you shout on internet the bigger your opinion."

So.. are we all going to die Wednesday? If so, what time would that be in America? Cause this machine is in Switzerland, and I'm curious how far ahead they are of us time wise.

I'd really rather NOT die Wednesday. Everyone else's thoughts?

I'm also gonna be PISSED too. Im buying TNA Impact tomorrow and If I only get an hour or two to play before I die that is gonna SEVERELY piss me off.

I don't know about that dying part. I still like to use my penis.

Yeah.. you know the sad thing? I think this is a true story. MSNBC ran a story on it.

The "odds" are like some odd 50 billion to 1.. but seriously.. it's still got a "chance". Just sayin.. morons messing with stuff like this, regardless of how smart they think they are.. never ends well.

I'm not buying iMPACT!.. I'm renting it. If it plays well enough, I'll be buying it. Otherwise, it'll need to drop to like $30.00 or lower before I cave and buy it regardless.

Pfft. Then you arent a TRUE wrestling fan Will. :glare:

Monkey.. did you ever go out and buy a wrestling game on a whem? W.C.W. Mayhem. 'Nuff said. :disappointed:

Didn't that game have Kaz Hayashi? :lmao: Not overly bad, just still.

And I rented Backstage Assault. I still lost money in that shit fest.

I'll likely buy iMPACT! just because I think it could be interesting. I hope the story mode is good, but from what I seen in the preview.. it's like you get attacked by some "unknown" (Jarrett/Angle most likely) and work your way back to the company, by wrestling all around the world. *yawn*

I remember some liberals saying thanks to Bush the world would end before a republican won the white house again...Looks like they were right.

I don't want to die tomorrow. I would like to watch RAW.

P.S Nobody tell me anything about what happens on RAW.

I don't want to die tomorrow. I would like to watch RAW.

P.S Nobody tell me anything about what happens on RAW.

Stone Cold beat Chris Jericho for the World title, then Hulk Hogan came out and knocked out Austin and gave him a leg drop and challenged him to a match for the title at No Mercy, Austin told him to go bone himself and said he would wrestle Sting at the event instead.

Stone Cold beat Chris Jericho for the World title, then Hulk Hogan came out and knocked out Austin and gave him a leg drop and challenged him to a match for the title at No Mercy, Austin told him to go bone himself and said he would wrestle Sting at the event instead.

true story. it was fucking sweet :headbanger:

yeah the Hadron Collider has already been tested once. It is probably not going to happen. There have been numerous particle Accelerators created in the Past. In fact the US has a pretty big one as well. This is just the biggest that has been created.

No it gets swallowed at exactly the same time as every single other peice of Matter in the world. Though it would be better than Strange Matter Occuring.

No it gets swallowed at exactly the same time as every single other peice of Matter in the world. Though it would be better than Strange Matter Occuring.

I think the only 'positive' side of getting sucked into a black hole is you won't know it when it happens. If everything goes suddenly and all at once.. you just (I assume) die instantly.

You won't logically feel anything I don't imagine, and you just suddenly.. .. die.

It should be noted in further interviews on the subject, they're apparently actually WANTING black holes to appear, because I guess they are so unstable that they appear and disappear almost instantly without causing any damage???

So while they don't want or assume we'll die.. on a side project, they'd love for a black hole to appear and give them a reading, so they can study them too. :disappointed: Whatever happened to just being happy with what you know. LOL Don't they know what happened to that darn cat?!

If we all die, who gives a shit? I don't want to die, but if everyone is then meh.

That's the spirit. :rolleyes:

Fact is, everyone is going to die at some point. But why do morons (I say that loosely) who're curious about space and the beginning of 'time'.. get to decide when "I" die?

I haven't ate a ton of fast food just for it to all be wasted on some black hole. Fucking bastards. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back