• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Use Of Music In A Movie (Non-Theme)

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
What music do you think was used the best in a movie? It can't be the theme song, or else we'd argue this endlessly. It doesn't need to be on the "official" soundtrack either.

I'm watching Rocky IV (as I've stated elsewhere), and Rocky is driving in his car, and the song that's playing is classic for this. I think the title is "No Easy Way Out", and he's flashing back to all his moments with Adrian and Apollo, right after the press conference announcing the Drago fight. It's perfect for the storyline, and isn't so much that it overtakes the scene, and the emotion behind it. It may not be the greatest, and I'm almost positive I'll have more to post later, but for now, this is the reason for this thread.

NSL, more evidence as to why I love you as a poster. No Easy Way Out? Amazing. In the same film, "Training Montage" which showed the parallels of the two men's training techniques - Rocky in the cold, poor areas of Siberia, and Ivan "Brock Lesnar" Drago in the technological temple with the needle in his arm. I mention Brock because I always thought the pre-Summer Slam montages of Rock vs Brock should have been set to the same song.

I also got pretty fired up for the use of "Master of Puppets" during the pledging scene in Old School. Hilarious stuff.

Reactions: NSL
NSL, more evidence as to why I love you as a poster. No Easy Way Out? Amazing. In the same film, "Training Montage" which showed the parallels of the two men's training techniques - Rocky in the cold, poor areas of Siberia, and Ivan "Brock Lesnar" Drago in the technological temple with the needle in his arm. I mention Brock because I always thought the pre-Summer Slam montages of Rock vs Brock should have been set to the same song.

I also got pretty fired up for the use of "Master of Puppets" during the pledging scene in Old School. Hilarious stuff.

The montage showing the training scenes is one of my favorite scenes in the whole series. I remember jumping on the couch, cheering for Rocky during that whole part. To be honest, it was so good, I don't even remember the music that went with it, but I'll see it soon enough.

Old School, while being hilarious, wasn't exactly a quality movie. But, you're right. That was a great song to use there. My personal favorite from that film is "Dust In The Wind" at Blue funeral, and at the end, where Blue sings it.

EDIT: The scene just started, and I'm going to pay attention to the music, or at least try to. The start of it at least sounds promising. Pretty good build up, which is exactly why "Gonna Fly Now" worked so well previously. They also timed it right, so when the action is up-tempo, the music works as a base to it, instead of over-shadowing it. Very good find!

For your benefit, NSL:

[youtube]IDko7Utfqdg[/youtube]

I listen to this when I run, lift, and when I used to wrestle in college and high school, this song got me SO FIRED UP it was ridiculous. Sports movies do some great work with music, but none better than Rocky 4.

A bunch instantly spring to mind.

"Sgt Mackenzie's hymn" from "We Were Soldiers", when the soldiers are getting ready to make their first descent into the valley of death. Its a mix of visual with music, but holy fucking shit. If this scene/music combo doesnt make your hair stand up, I really dont know what the fuck to tell you.

Dude, fucking obviously, two scenes from Terminator 2. At the end, when he is lowered into the the molten metal, with the Terminator music playin, is just such an admirable scene. The self sacrifice, with the thumbs up, with that emotional synth playing. Awesome.

and do I REALLY need to explain the second one?

...Of course, when he steps out of the bar, after beating up some dude while he is naked, and "Bad To The Bone" by George Thorogood playing. Pft. Be serious. That scene like, shaped my life from that point on :cool:

I really loved the music/scene combination in the first "Pirates Of the Carribean" movie, were the ghost skeleton dudes are waling in formation under water, changing back and forth from skeleton to human in the moonlight. Sick.

I could probably think of SO many more. Im having a huge movie brain fart right now for some reason. more to come later.

Anytime someone is kidnapped to Massive Attack's "Angel."

[youtube]JAJW5e1yOEc[/youtube]

That song just screams nefarious activity to me.

Also, every song in Rock N' Rolla seems to fit the scene perfectly.

One of my favorites is in Team America. They do the training sequence towards the end. The song, "We Need a Montage" fits so well.

Yes... that Rocky 4 montage is fantastic, and the song couldn't be more perfect for it.

But how about, "You're the Best Around" from The Karate Kid? That was fucking awesome and couldn't have fit the movie better.

"Push It to the Limit" I always felt was a very interesting choice for the Scarface film. It's just kind of odd to hear that type of music in such a 'gangster' film.

And lastly, I've always loved the scene below. I talked about this film a little bit in my River Phoenix/Heath Ledger thread, and this has always been one of my favorite scenes from that movie.

[youtube]cP5pUM_X3uw[/youtube]

The song is "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor. It would be later used in Remeber the Titans.

Not the main theme is the restriction, right?

Then it's hands down Going the Distance from Rocky I, leading up to the fight with Apollo Creed. This song has everything to it. Go to Rocky.com this is the song that automatically starts up. I don't know if there's a song put together that has gotten my blood flowing more effectively than this. As an Eagles fan I get pumped to this soundtrack all the time, and anyone choosing anything from Rocky is on the right track, but this, this is the song you need to listen to.

One of my favourite songs in the use of a movie that was not the theme of the movie was the track created by Clint Mansell for the movie 'Smokin' Aces' entitled Dead Reckoning. Mansell, if you do not know is a composer who was recently featured on The Wrestler. The song Dead Reckoning appears in Smokin' Aces at the end of the film when Ryan Reynolds character is coming to the realization that the only way to... well that is a spoiler, but it is the choice that ends the movie. I have never seen a song that went so well with the mental decision of an actor and the consequences of his choice.

[youtube]VYB68BIHN8A[/youtube]

Reactions: NSL
This is either proves I listen to too much music, or watch too many movies.

I'm currently watching Empire Records, possibly one of the greatest movies ever made, and found yet another example of music being used perfectly. When Deb arrives for work, she goes straight for the bathroom, and proceeds to shave her head, in a rather sad scene. The music playing is from The Cranberries (I don't know what song), and it works great for the scene. It's sad, mellow, and portrays the exact emotion she is showing on her face.

Expect more of these as the movies continue...

I'm into bumping old threads tonight. Maybe with the mod war going on, these will get some discussion.

I re-watched Pulp Fiction the other day. The music in that movie, is fucking amazing. My favorite bit, and it was so great, was when Mia and Vincent get home from their "date", and Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon was playing. It's sexy, it's seductive, and just sets up everything that's coming. The entire scene is done perfectly. Vincent in the bathroom, amping himself up to avoid whatever may happen, and Mia almost desperately waiting for him on the couch.

I can cite almost any part of that movie, and it'd fit here.

Another one I would have to go with is the 'divided' scene from The Rules of Attraction, where "Colours " by Donovan played in the background. The scene is just so incredibly well put together, and that beautiful, yet tremendously odd music couldn't have fit more perfect for it. And honestly, it'd probably be the type of song I'd hate if I heard it on its own without this scene, but since its forever attached this scene and movie, I absolutely love it. Check it out for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6EPa9Fw3Lk

(The stupid assholes who posted the video made Embedding disabled, so just click the link above to watch it)

28 Weeks Later- Don Abandons Alice.

[youtube]-Wo0cSoLWwE[/youtube]

The song was composed by John Murphy for the soundtrack and its one of the best songs, when he escapes and running from the infected, all the infected chase after him down to the jetty on the river. To me its an great scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back