Best tradional 5 on 5 SS match/build up...

An Angry Blonde

Occasional Pre-Show
The SS 5 on 5 match has been going on for at least two decades so my two questions to you are....

#1: Wicth SS 5 on 5 tag match had the best qualty(the match itself, not build up)?

#2: Whitch SS 5 on 5 tag match had the best build up(only build up not match)?

To me the best build up was WWE vs. WCW/ECW at 01 had the best build up, but the match was boring to me except at the end.
I've only seen four SS tag matches matches so I cant really answer the question.
(Also be aware your answer for #1 and 2 can be the same SS match)
Thoughts?

Great thread man. That has always been my favorite match in the WWE.

I'll certainly agree with you that the 2001 match was the best in ring match ever. You had 9 of the best wrestlers in the world, all world champions, going at it for almost an hour. The only thing that really brought the match down was Shane McMahon. I've never seen anyone as out of place in a match than he was. If they had replaced him with any of the Alliance guys on the roster it would of made it the best match ever.

Obviously 2001 had the best build up ever.You simply cant say that any feud equalls fighting for the entire company. However, I would like to point out the great the build for the Smackdown Vs. Raw match of 2005. It went on for weeks and had a great moment with Batista getting double chockslammed on a car by Kane and Big Show. That parking lot brawl was great. The only thing that keeps that match from being my favorite was the fact that Master and Carlito were in it. The WWE was pushing them and the time and they just had no place on that team.

I love the classic survivor series matches but my favorite was from 2004 when it was Orton Benoit Maven and Jericho vs. HHH Batista Egde Snitsky with the winner getting control of raw for a month. Orton/HHH feud, Benoit/Edge feud were both great separate and this wrapped it up into one. Great buildup and great match

I can't really say as far as build up is concerned because many of the more recent buildups that I've seen have been more or less nonexistant. If I had to choose, I'd say I liked the Team HBK vs Team JBL occurring just before the "monetary bail-out" story line. I forget the year just now. I liked that one just because of how personal the feud was beginning to get between the two captains.

As for the in-ring contest, I don't know if it was the best, but it was definitely my favorite. Again, I forget the year, but the match was Team DX vs. Team Rated RKO. It wasn't an epic struggle, but it was incredibly funny throughout. It's the only time I know of when a Traditional Survivor Series match was a comedy fest, but I didn't mind because it was so well done. In addition, the comedy there wasn't just for comedy's sake, but highly effective in getting the job done. One moment deserves some mention here individually. First, HBK taking out Mike Knox right off the bat with Sweet Chin Music and then having to go back to his team to find out who it was he'd just eliminated. Classic!

Older matches were far more carefully put together in that you had the feuding parties as direct counterparts on a team... The Mega Powers feuding with Andre and DiBiase is a great example... Those matches always stuck to the formula so the match building was in reality done in singles competition... You had a main eventer on the teams, a maybe a tag team and a mid card feud... Eliminations made sense, so recently on Vintage you had Macho King v Duggan, Bret v Dino Bravo, Garvin v Valentine and Earthquake v Hercules... some feuds ended there with Herc being destroyed by Quake and some continued...

It was only in later and more recent years that the "random" element of booking these matches came in... having "Team RAW or Team Smackdown" or "Team Mysterio" etc lends itself more to having to build up through angles with each team...

The best build up for me was 1990, when they had the final match with all the Survivors... It was an excellent build up, particularly for matches like Undertaker's debut and the first time a whole team survived, Rick Martel's "Visionaries". When the final match came, it was built up as insurmountable for even Hogan, Warrior and Tito Santana to handle... of course they did but that was the beauty of it... It was a shame they never did that again as it remains the best Survivor Series ever...

Best build up has to go to 2001. Well it was a long build up that started from May, so what would you expect. You had excellent promos given especially from Paul Heyman, members of both factions switching sides, the first SS match between the two had the rival win. The WWF vs. Alliance was a great feud no matter how many people say it sucked.

Best match has to go to 2001 yet again. It had so much emotion, hype, reaction, mystery riding behind it that whether the wrestling in the match was good or not, it still was a great match. Jericho looking like he was gonna betray WWF for The Alliance had me on the edge of my seat and the ending was an awesome swerve and then seeing Vince come out on the stage with his arms in the air while The Alliance especially Stephanie break down & Team WWF celebrate in the Locker Rooms was just simply electric & a fitting end to the feud.

Older matches were far more carefully put together in that you had the feuding parties as direct counterparts on a team... The Mega Powers feuding with Andre and DiBiase is a great example... Those matches always stuck to the formula so the match building was in reality done in singles competition... You had a main eventer on the teams, a maybe a tag team and a mid card feud... Eliminations made sense, so recently on Vintage you had Macho King v Duggan, Bret v Dino Bravo, Garvin v Valentine and Earthquake v Hercules... some feuds ended there with Herc being destroyed by Quake and some continued...

It was only in later and more recent years that the "random" element of booking these matches came in... having "Team RAW or Team Smackdown" or "Team Mysterio" etc lends itself more to having to build up through angles with each team...

The best build up for me was 1990, when they had the final match with all the Survivors... It was an excellent build up, particularly for matches like Undertaker's debut and the first time a whole team survived, Rick Martel's "Visionaries". When the final match came, it was built up as insurmountable for even Hogan, Warrior and Tito Santana to handle... of course they did but that was the beauty of it... It was a shame they never did that again as it remains the best Survivor Series ever...

Completely agreed. For anyone to list anything done past 2000 is an absolute joke and shows that person has no idea about wrestling history. The 1989 and 1990 Survivor Series were the best and quite easily the best put together. I did love the "survivors" wrestle at the end of the night idea that the WWF implemented in the 1990 "4th annual" Survivor Series.

I still love watching the Hulkamaniacs vs. The Million $ Team as well as the Ultimate Warriors vs. the Heenan Family from the 89 Survivor Series. Classic WWF!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back