• SS1993-Bret Hart Vs. Doink The Clown

• SS1993-Bret Hart Vs. Jerry "The King" Lawler

• SS1994-Bret Hart Vs. Owen Hart

• SS1995-Bret Hart Vs. Isaac Yankem

• SS1997-Bret Hart Vs. The Undertaker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paul Revere

Step In The Arena
I liked the favorite Wrestlemania match threads, and Summerslam is the next best thing, so I figured why not?

I am relatively younger than some of you guys probably and therefore less knowledgeable about the early years of SS. I mean, I wasn't even alive in when the first one was broadcast. I have since done my homework and also I have just finished watching the Summerslam anthology. Credit for the idea goes to whoever started these, I think it may have been justinsayne.

I am going to start with Bret Hart, who I feel is the king of Summerslam.

-SS 1988-Demolition (C) Vs. The Hart Foundation
Great tag team match, a 10 minute classic.

-SS 1989-The Brain Busters Vs. The Hart Foundation
Was all tag team wrestling this awesome back then? This was a great match that I thoroughly enjoyed.

-SS 1990-Demolition (C) Vs. The Hart Foundation
Another great tag match, these guys can do no wrong.

-SS 1991-Bret Hart Vs. Mr. Perfect
My 2nd favorite Bret Hart match ever. Arguably the greatest IC championship of all time.

-SS 1992-Bret Hart Vs. The British Bulldog
An amazing match that could holds its own with Perfect match.

-SS 1993-Bret Hart Vs. Doink The Clown & Bret Hart Vs. Jerry "The King" Lawler
These matches were just ok for me, but I am sure they were great in context with the storylines.Also, I just can't get into Doink, just dumb to me.

-SS 1994-Bret Hart Vs. Owen Hart
My favorite Hart match of all time. Had it all, a great storyline and some amazing wrestling. Just an all around classic.

-SS 1995-Bret Hart Vs. Isaac D. Yankem
Man its weird that Kane and Bret Hart fought in '95. Decent match, nothing great though.

-SS 1997-Bret Hart Vs. The Undertaker (HBK Special Guest Referee)
A match that I personally love, but my friends don't really.

I sort of disqualified the tag matches, as this thread pertains mostly to Bret Hart the singles star. However, feel free to explain why those are better.

While the cage match with Owen is my personal favorite, I could see how someone would choose the Mr. Perfect match or the Bulldog match.

So which one is your favorite, based on emotions, nostalgia, technicality, atmosphere, etc.???

I never realised he had so many great Summerslam matches. I mean, people talk about Wrestlemania matches all the time, but many great matches are at other times and don't get enough hype due to not being on the 'Big One'.

This was a tough choice between 2 for me, being the Mr. Perfect and the Owen Hart one. Both were great matches, and watching them back now you can see just how great they were. If newer fans watched these I think they'd love them. Both show what WWE is all about.

I chose the match Vs Owen, because I love the story to it. That match was truly perfect. It had a lot of hype, and people still talk about it today. I know Will has been going on about it a lot lately. Really, what was wrong with it? The crowd were into this A LOT. And I think that's what can turn a good match great.

Looking back you've made me realise how many great matches he did have. Damn I need that Summerslam anthology.

Wow...damn...this is a hard one.

His matches with Bulldog, Owen, Perfect, and Taker were all very entertaining in my opinion. I haven't seen them in a while, but I remember really enjoying all four of them.

I have to agree with Becca that his match with Owen had the edge storyline-wise. Still, his match with Perfect has the edge on a technical standpoint. But then again, his match with Taker has an edge in that it was pretty big back when it happened and the ending alone resulted in not only Taker's title reign ending and Bret's final title reign beginning, but also the first Hell in a Cell and eventually, the Montreal Screwjob. Naturally, you can't judge a match based on what happens afterwards if you're being completely impartial, though.

I'd have to watch them over again, but right now, if I was forced to pick, I'd probably say the best match out of them in general was Bret/Owen, with Bret/Perfect coming in close behind it.

TheOneBigWill's 'take' on Bret "Hitman" Hart's best Summerslam Match:

1988: Tag Team Championships: v. Demolition: I'd be lying if I said I could remember it that well, and the sad thing is I watched it like two weeks ago. Truth is, I was never really high on the Hart Foundation as a Tag Team. Sure they were a nice mix of power, speed, and ability, but overall in the beginning they were very rough and plain. (to me)

I know I'll take heat for this as well, but Demolition was never truly high on my list either. So that's yet another reason why it was hard for me to get into this match, and remember this specific one. I'm not by any stretch trying to say Demolition were a bad team, because they weren't, I'm just saying they weren't one of my faves, and back in that time era it was much like today.. if you didn't like someone, you barely paid attention to them, unless you had to.

1989: v. Brainbusters: By far, in my personal opinion, this was the best Tag Team contest the Hart's had against anyone. And the only alternative is either Demolition match they had on opposite sides of this p.p.v. I believe a lot of people will vote for the best two outta three falls match, if they're voting for any Tag team contest overall, but I'll explain why I'm not in that area.

As far as why I felt this was the best match, it's because I loved the way Arn Anderson and Tully worked as a team.. and how much they really put over Bret Hart and the Anvil as a very solid and hard to beat team. If you watch this match, then you'll notice that even though the Hart Foundation are the face team, they get away with a LOT of heelish tactics, and the fans ate it up. I give credit for that to the amount of heel heat the Brainbusters had, not anything the Hart's did to earn it.

1990: Tag Team Championships: 2 outta 3 Falls: v. Demolition: Okay, once again Demolition. This time it was I believe the combination of Crush and Smash, with Axe interfering at a later point in the match. This contest also had outside interference from the Legion of Doom, if I recall correctly.

The reason I'm urging people not to blow their load on this contest, is because it wasn't worth the time spent on it. Plain and simple. Again, I have nothing personal against Demolition, but the styles of that team against the Hart's just didn't mix well for me. The drama was somewhat evened out, with the fans not seemingly caring one way or another and in the end, the fans were more in an up-roar over the L.o.D. than they were the Hart's coming out with Tag gold.

Overall, I just believe this match is overrated, and I know a lot of people will get greatly upset at my opinion of that, because this is one of the few Tag contests from back in that era that the company pushed as great. I just never felt whatever it was they were trying to sell.

1991: Intercontinental Championship: v. Mr. Perfect: Another match that I believe is actually overrated. :lmao: I'm gonna come out of this with even more heat than I had going in, I'm sure. The fact is, Mr. Perfect and Bret Hart have had a LOT better match-up's and contests. I foolishly plugged this match being one of their best, without really remembering it.

After watching it a week or so back, I've since changed my mind and the reason is plain and simply because the chemisty of the entire match was thrown off, all because Mr. Perfect's singlet got ripped. I'd say a good 5-10 minutes in, his outfit gets torn practically completely off, and Perfect spent the rest of the contest doing his best to work without it being a factor, but if you really paid attention to the match, you'll see he didn't go two-three moves without messing with it, and trying to "fix it" so it'd be out of the way. That, to me, ruined the match.

The other issue was Perfect, for as good as he was, really botched the Sharpshooter at the end of the match. Maybe it was Hart, I don't know, but somehow it ended rather crappy, and before Bret even locked it in to the best of his ability, Perfect was tapping too.. that wasn't very sellable, so much as "fake".

1992: Intercontinental Championship: v. British Bulldog: This is a match I'd really say would take a lot of my attention, just because it was both men's Big moment in the spotlight. This was the British Bulldog's home-coming, and it was also to my knowledge Bret Hart's very first Main Event. It may of also been the first time the Intercontinental Championship main evented over the W.W.F. Championship, which is astounding to say the least.

I think the chemisty was just right, it wasn't so much a Family feud, more so than a regular every-day contest that just happened to be between Family members, in one of their "backyards". The crowd is what made this match amazing. What Hart and Smith did with each other was nothing short of awe-inspiring to see as well, but with that being said and continuing with the bluntness of being honest.. I've seen better matches out of both. All in all, this was definately a top 3-4 match regarding Bret Hart and Summerslam though.

1993: v. Doink the Clown: If anyone can get a workable technical match out of Doink the Clown, it's going to be Bret Hart. I don't think this match ever had a chance of being considered a cult classic, a fan favorite, or even anything beyond rememberable on paper. It was actually nothing more than a set-up, to get to the next match, against Lawler.

1993: v. Jerry "The King" Lawler: Now, the interesting situation regarding this match that a lot of people might not remember, or even know about.. is it was actually a "King of the Ring" type match. The billing going in was that the winner was going to be deemed and classified as the W.W.F.'s "One True King". So obviously because of that, you know the outcome instantly doesn't favor Hart. Of course back then you wouldn't of known that, but today anyone would.

Technically sound, this match was not. But second best regarding feuds, it definately was. The only thing stopping this rivalry from being the greatest Summerslam showdown Bret's ever had, was his Cage match against his brother. The Hart/Lawler rivalry is one of wrestling's most remembered, because for as long as Lawler's been in the industry, or rather the W.W.F., he's hated Bret Hart.. and Hart's Family. (short of the heels, he seemed to always love Owen)

This was one of their first match-ups, if not "the" first, in a rivalry that'd go well into two years from this point. That's downright amazing.

1994: W.W.F. Championship: Steel Cage: v. Owen Hart: As Becca said, I can not get enough of this contest.. however, because I know everyone is going to likely vote it, I'm not. I have one more in mind, and I'll get to it before I'm finished. However, the fact is this match likely IS one of Bret's all-time greatest Summerslam contests, and it's because of for all the right reasons, the way the match was built-up, the heat between the brothers, the entire story and saga of the situation, and the way both individuals, both brothers worked with each other.

I stand by what I said, in saying this match went just a tad too long without having any blood in it, and I also proclaim that if this match had blood, it'd be the single greatest Cage match/rivalry match of all time. End of story. However, it didn't.

The fact that back during this time period, big flashy moves off the top of the cage, like swantons and spears, and splashes.. none of those things were even thought possible, so you got Suplexes, nut drops across the bars, hanging legs in the bars, and trading punches atop the cage, while threatening to fall over the side. You got hair pulling, and leaping for the door to touch the floor hands first, then realizing it's suppose to be the other way around, and you got one of the greatest rivalries in Professional Wrestling history, tied in with one of the all-time great Family's in pro wrestling history. That's what this match was, and so.. so much more.

1995: v. Isaac Yankem D.D.S.: I mentioned the Jerry Lawler/Bret Hart feud going well over two years, and this seemed like the last big moment in their rivalry. Once again, this match wasn't exactly exciting or thrilling, so much more as a match that wasn't ever meant to be remembered as a great.

This was a contest, almost exactly like the Doink one, in which it was just setting up, or rather finishing up the bigger, longer and more heated rivalry between Lawler and Hart. The ending aftermath of this match even saw Lawler interfere, which I believe is what causes the match to end suddenly, and Hart ends up helped to the back, with a waiting Razor Ramon cutting a ladder match promo and mocking Hart for being old.

All in all, I haven't yet rewatched this contest, but because I know Yankem is Kane, I think I'm going to love it more now, then I did then. Just because I'll see Yankem as someone a bit better than some drugged up, dirty teeth having, psycho dentist.

1997: W.W.F. Championship: v. The Undertaker: (w/ Shawn Michaels as Ref.) Last, but not least.. MY PICK! That's right, I've decided to go with the last Summerslam contest Hart had, against the Undertaker. Why? Because even though the Owen Hart match had everything right, this match had a couple extra add-ons that the Brother v. Brother contest couldn't have. And that's a mini-war between America against Canada. A heel Bret Hart, which was almost as unheard of as a heel Hulk Hogan, and a cocky Shawn Michaels, whom everyone knew had major real life heat with Bret Hart.. that all made this match one of a kind.

This match had two things that I loved seeing, and will never forget. Those two things helped me also realize that this could be one of the best matches for Hart's Summerslam career, let alone one of the better matches in all of Summerslam history. The first is the Sharpshooter around the ring post. I've seen a figure four, but never a Sharpshooter and that was absolutely amazing.

The second, is the way the match ended. Hart straight up pulled all the slime he could find within his body up into his mouth, and let it fly directly into H.B.K.'s face and shirt. That caused the "chair shot heard round the world" to echo the arena that night, as Shawn lit up the Undertaker's head, as Bret dropped out of the way just in the right amount of time.

Due to the circumstance of the match, H.B.K. had no choice but to count the 3, and award Hart the W.W.F. Champion. Thus making him a history-making 5 time Champion. (at that time, tying Hogan I do believe) And turning H.B.K. heel, without it actually being legit. (Meaning H.B.K. really WAS aiming for Hart, but hit Taker.. which turned him heel) All in all, I loved this match and it's getting my final vote.

Will, will will, mediocrity and Bret Hart, those two words simply don't go together my friend.

1988: vs. Demolition. This is why I need the anthology, because I vaguely remember this match up, and that's sad because I mark out like crazy for both of these tag teams, more so for the Demos then anyone else. When I view this match again, I'll give it the proper assessment.

1989: vs. the Brainbusters: Again, vaguely remember this match, but what I remember was good. Tully and Arn had some fantastic matches in the WWF, and it's a true shame that they have yet to be recognized as one of the truly great tag teams of the business. Their work with young teams like the Rockers and Harts stand out immensely. It's a shame they'll both be known as Flair's lackeys according to the WWE. Solid match, from what I remember, but I still need to rewatch it.

1990: Vs. Demolition (2 out of 3 Falls) I would rank this match as possibly one of the best tag team title matches I have ever watched. Demolition had recently gone heel, and no one was expecting the Hart's to win this match. If I remember correctly, Demolition was mastering the member swap with Ax taking Smash's place throughout this contest. The fresh man coming in against the warn down Hart's without the refs knowing. I was shocked with the outcome of this match, I was sure the belts were going to stay on the Demo's to set up an epic long awaited match against the Road Warriors. Solid Match in my opinion.

1991: Vs. Mr. Perfect.
Simply put, one of the greatest IC title matches ever, bar none. Hennig was a trainwreck in this match as far as his back was concerned, yet managed to tough it out and get the job done. He put Hart over as a very serious singles wrestler, and this remains one of the best matches I have ever watched.

1992: vs. the Bulldog.
As Jake would say, the In Your House match was much better, but this match was great as well. This match was indeed, all about the Bulldog. Hart showed some nice heel tactics in this match. I can't say enough about this match. It was a great match, and it gained Hart recognition by management to be pushed to the next level.

1993: vs. Doink and Jerry Lawler.
Meh, that's pretty much what I thought of these matches. Doink was a good heel, but terrible to watch in the ring. Jerry Lawler at the time was interesting as simply an on air personality, not as a wrestler. Sure it started years of wonderful Hart commentary by Lawler, but that was the only good thing to come from this situation.

1994: Owen Hart in the Cage
Well what else can be said about this match that hasn't been said already. Besides the fact of watching them take an exceptionally long time to put the big blue monster together, this match hit on all cylinders. Hell this feud hit on all cylinders. It's a shame that the blind HBK love fest started the year before (seriously, vs. Jannetty match of the year???). The match at WMX to open the show was the match of the night, and this cage match was match of the year. Both gave it their all, made people believe that they legitimately couldn't stand each other, and sold this match beautifully.

1995: vs. Dr. Isaac Yankem.
This is the prime example of a feud getting dragged out far too long. 1995, nothing for Bret to do I guess but restart a mediocre feud with the King. This time the King brings his Dentist, Isaac Kane Yankem into the feud. This match was a nightmare, on possibly the worst card of a terrible year in professional wrestling. 1995 is about as bad as it gets.

1997 vs. the Undertaker.
Like Will, this is my pick. So many outside distractions going into this match, but yet, these two along with Michaels, made it work. Taker and Hart had fantastic chemistry. The match at Rumble 1996 was fantastic, and this match far surpassed it. In my humble opinion, if you want to talk about under rated, and under appreciated matches of the last 25 years, you're looking at it right here. While it may not be the best match I've ever seen, it certainly is my all time favorite match.

From Paul Bearer tormenting the Undertaker with Kane, from Bret turning Heel and having the stipulation that he would never wrestle in America again, HBK having the stipulation of never being able to wrestle again if he didn't call the match down the middle, there was so much room for error. Instead they put on a 30 minute plus gem of a match which saw the Undertaker become the first guy to straight up buck his way out of the sharpshooter. The Chairshot at the end of the match set the storylines up for the next 3 months which led to the ultimate screwjob at Survivor Series.

So to break it down.
9. Vs. Isaac Yankem
8. Vs. Doink and the King
7. Vs. Demolition (1988)
6. Vs. The Brainbusters
5. vs. Demolition (1990)
4. vs. The Bulldog
3. Vs. Mr. Perfect
2. vs. Owen Hart
1. vs. the Undertaker

To me, its gotta be SS1991, as the match with Mr. Perfect, it seemed like they truely brought out the best in each other, it was a back and forth contest, which I like, as I happen to be big fans of both, and it was a technically sound matchup. The rematch at KOTR 1993 was OK, but it didnt come nowhere close to their first encounter.

I voted for the match Vs Lawler for one reason and one reason only- I was there. i was 12 at the time. Some older family friends took me to The Palace of Auburn Hills that day. Little did I know I would be sitting 2 seats of the entrance isle, about 8 rows back I think. I hated Lawler with a passion at the time- cuz Bret was my favorite then also. My point is this:

After the match, Lawler was being taken to the back on a strecher. He was wheeled right by me and I stuck out my hand and tried to tip over the strecher with a push. It never tipped over cuz the "EMTs" had a good hold of it( or cuz i was just weak). For some reason I cant even remember if that shows up on the "DVD" or VHS that I had watched back in the day. I look back and think of how stupid it was to do it. But, I was in the moment. LOL

Thanks to HBK4444 for this thread. Now I will be going out and renting SS 93'. I wonder if thats even possible??

So many great matches to choose from, but still a very easy decision to make. Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart, cage match from Summerslam 1994.

This match is a candidate for best match ever, in my opinion. That's how good it is. I have never seen such good storytelling in a match like what was displayed in this one.

It was a story of two brothers who were portrayed as being so evenly matched, they knew eachother so well inside the ring. If you watch the match closely, it seemed like they were stuck to eachother like glue for the entire match. It was like that all the way until the very end, when Bret narrowly won while Owen was hanging upside down from the cage. The emotion, the intensity, the drama... it was all just so great to watch. And the realism was off the charts. It almost seemed like it was a real fight, which just goes to show how great the match was.

I agree completely with Will. I love the Undertaker match the best. Why? Because Bret always wrestled best as a heel. His character had more balls and was more and ass kicker than any time during his 9 years as a face. Also because of I'd love to know how the fuck he managed to superplex 'Taker off the TOP rope like that! As far as the story is concerned...there were so many things going on between the distractions from outside and Bret and Shawn hating each other (both in realit and on script!) and the stipulation of the match that it made the whole plot that much more volatile. Bret was able to tell a great story that night. He and Taker always worked well together and a month later they would have their last great rematch (where Bret obviously retained the belt). But this was the best.

I find the match vs. the Bulldog to be terribly overrated. It's still a good match, but not as great as everyone tries to say it is.

The two out of 3 falls match is very good, but it's not as good as some of these others. For the people voting for the Undertaker match, all I can say is that you must be out of your mind, or not have seen the Cage match or the match with Mr. Perfect.

For MY pick, it's got to be the Summerslam match vs. Mr. Perfect. As close to perfect as the Savage vs. Steamboat match is, this match comes extremely close to that match. The precision was spot on, the story told was great, and the workrate was phenomenal. Add to the fact the excitement of Hart winning the title from Perfect, and it was just a great match all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back