Best PPV of all time?

How bout 1 that had potential 2 be great but turned out 2 not be so entertaining, in my opinion. Starrcade 1997. Could have been great but wasn't. Thats all I have 2 say about that. I could go into detail but i dont wanna be a ballbuster. So i will let u guys revel in your nostalgia.

Wrestlemania 17 was definitely the greatest Wrestlemania of all time (not one bad match & a superb atmosphere). However I'd give the greatest PPV title to IYH: Canadian Stampede. It had four 'Wrestlemania' level matches over 2 hours. The main event saw the most electricity from a crowd that has ever been captured on film. At one point when Bret Hart was beating on Stone Cold in the corner, the building & cameras started to shake from the crowd noise.

Also if true wrestling fans want to see Stone Cold Steve Austin's finest EVER performance..... Watch the main event & what transpires afterwards!

Survivor Series 2002

This PPV had absolutely everything. It had great wrestling, it had a big time screw-job, it had innovation, it had plently of 'holy shit' moments and it had one the most emotional endings to a PPV I personally have ever seen. There was a great atmosphere inside Madison Square Garden that night and a big air on un-predictability around the place. No-one quite knew what was about to go down inside the Elimination Chamber. Turns out it was a brutal 40 minute match that ended with Shawn Michael's standing tall in the Garden with the WHC.

Choosing the best would be insanely impossible. I dont think any one stands above the others, and many different great PPV's offer different things.

Im ashamed to say my favorite was Summerslam 2003, because it was only Good at best, but it was my first and came during the height of my wrestling fandom (I would fall a little out of it a few years later, until recently getting back into it.)

But a best of all time? Wouldn't even know where to start. But Ill throw another candidate in the hat in Survivor Series 2002. Every match was pretty good, and even the Big Show/Brock Lesnar match which wasn't great had a good turn in it in Heyman, so it was at least entertaining and watchable. Great cruiserweight title match, entertaining and well done table match, a fantastic women's title match (something that doesn't happen anymore) and a classic of a tag team 3-way. Then it was capped by the first Elimination Chamber, which was absolutely fantastic. It may not be the OMG greatest, but it's definitely one of the most thoroughly solid that I can recall.

Halloween Havoc 98

Every marquee match on the bill had the capability to be a main event. Aside from the complete clusterf#ck that was Hogan/Warrior 2, that PPV is still fun to watch

My favorite Pay Per View of all time is WrestleMania XIX. It had 4 Main Events (in my opinion 5, including HBK vs. Y2J) including 2 World Title matches and 2 matches featuring Vince McMahon, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and the Rock. 2 Tag Team Title matches, a Triple Threat for the WWE Tag Titles featuring 3 great teams and a Sunday Night Heat World Tag Team Title match (how many PPVs have / had a Dark match / Sunday Night Heat match for any Championship??). It had a great Cruiserweight match to start the show with Matt and Rey. It had a really good Women’s Title match, which is just so hard to find these days, showcasing 3 very talented women. The Undertaker beat not one, but two opponents to add to his streak. Last but most definitely not least, Stacey and Torrie in a Pillow fight with two other hot chicks!! I don’t think there is any other PPV in history that tops WM XIX. There was at least one thing wrong with every other PPV ever. Even WM XIX’s “Dark” match was awesome.

World Tag Team Championship match
Lance Storm and Chief Morley (c) vs. Kane and Rob Van Dam

WWE Cruiserweight Championship match
Matt Hardy (c) (with Shannon Moore) vs. Rey Mysterio

Handicap match
The Undertaker vs. The Big Show and A-Train

Triple Threat WWE Women's Championship match
Trish Stratus vs. Victoria (c) (with Steven Richards) vs. Jazz

Triple Threat WWE Tag Team Championship match
Team Angle (Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin) (c) vs. Los Guerreros (Eddie and Chavo Guerrero) vs. Chris Benoit and Rhyno

Grudge match
Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho

Pillow fight
Stacy Keibler vs. Torrie Wilson vs. Kitana Baker vs. Tanya Ballinger

World Heavyweight Championship match
Triple H (c) (with Ric Flair) vs. Booker T

Street Fight
Hulk Hogan vs. Vince McMahon

Grudge match
The Rock vs. Steve Austin

WWE Championship match
Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle

I have to mention, in this little rant / rave, the Superstars in the Title matches. Triple H, Booker T., Kurt Angle, and Brock Lesnar. That card was stacked from top to bottom with 20 World Champions on the card. Every match had a former, or at the time, soon to be, World Champion. I just feel that every WM after XIX had its share of let downs. WM X8 comes in a very close second in my opinion, very close.

Survivor Series 98 is definately up there as one of the best. My favs from 3 to 1 are:

SummerSlam 97 - Pillaman vs Goldust was good, as was Mankind vs HHH in a cage and Bulldog vs Shamrock. But Owen vs Austin was an amazing match, especially considering Stone Cold broke his neck and still finished the match. Bret vs Taker was a great match as well, with HBk as the ref.

SuperBrawl VIII - Sting finally getting the WCW title after beating Hogan, The Outsiders vs the Steiners, Savage vs Luger and Benoit vs DDP all make this my second fav PPV.

Wrestlemania 14 - Stone Cold vs HBK was an increadible match, but the rest of the PPV was outstanding as well. From the Tag Team Dumpster match to Owen vs HHH and the IC title match between Shamrock and The Rock, this is not only my favourite Wrestlemania, but is my favourite PPV of all time!

WrestleMania X-Seven: Nobody expected the finish and the Austin heel turn, they kept hinting at it (Austin always said I'll do ANYTHING to get the title,Rock) but nobody expected it and to do it in his home state was something spectacular adding the already piled up card and you'll easily know why this is indeed the best PPV of all times.

Survivor Series 1998: You can't expect anything on that night, swerves were countless as stars in the sky.the fact that they used the heat from the previous year to finish the PPV was a very good idea and the swerve of reaveling that it was indeed The Rock who was Vince's boy and not Mankind was a sign of what was going to happen between these two for years to come.

I consider Wrestlemania X-7 to probably be the best WWE PPV that I have witnessed since I began watching wrestling in 1990. I really can't cover anything else that hasn't been said in this thread about the show, already.

I also think a strong contender would be Backlash 2000, as one other person indicated in this thread. I don't know if many fans in the thread so far didn't watch wrestling back then, or if they forgot what a good card that show produced ... or if they just didn't think it was that good ... but that was also another very strong card.

The Main Event had to be one of the wildest Main Events in WWE history, where The Rock finally took the WWE Title away from Triple H, after all Hell broke loose. The odds were stacked against The Rock with Vince in Triple H's corner. Then Shane McMahon came down as the guest referee. The Rock dealt with him. Then, Brisco and Patterson came down. Finally, Steve Austin made his surprise return and helped the Rock clean house with everyone.

Also, while this was going on, Linda McMahon came down to ringside to deal with her daughter, who had slapped her in the face on TV that week. Stephanie went to slap Linda, and Linda blocked her, and slapped her back.

The crowd was going bonkers.

Then, of course, The Rock won the Title and the roof about came off the MCI Center.

I was fortunately there at both of these shows, and these are the best two PPV's I have attended, and definitely two of the best PPV's in WWE history.

wrestle mainia 24 i dnt know why ive been ordering pay per views since 1999 and i just injoyed that the most i mean hbk vs hh vs beniot eddie gurrero vs kurt angle taker vs kane and heaps more

I think people picking WM 17 because everybody else say it's the greatest but the ppv has NO replay value.

Most ppvs are better watching LIVE but most of the time the shows have NO replay value especially the current WWE product. Most people is going by matches,I need to be taken back to that timeframe to enjoy the product.

The best ppv of all time in my opinion has to be King of the Ring 1998. The energy,aura and matches around the show is great. If you watch the show now, it still feels like you watching it LIVE. This show has a ton of replay value.

Souled Out 1998 is a close second, this show also put you back into that time frame. Starting with the AWESOME opening lucha match that set the pace for the whole show.

Most ppvs from 1998 is in my top 10 because when I watch those shows, I ususally feels like it 1998. I seen Superbrawl from 98 more times than WM 17 for a reason.

Most ppvs are better watching LIVE but most of the time the shows have NO replay value especially the current WWE product. Most people is going by matches,I need to be taken back to that timeframe to enjoy the product.

The best ppv of all time in my opinion has to be King of the Ring 1998. The energy,aura and matches around the show is great. If you watch the show now, it still feels like you watching it LIVE. This show has a ton of replay value.

Ironically I was just thinking about KOTR 98 the other day and how psyched I was for the show back in June 1998, i remember it vividly, and replay value it's weird because most of 1998's PPV's when you watch them back feel like you're watching them live, more so the June-September PPV's.

Summerslam 98 is freakin fantastic as well. Halloween Havoc 98,despite the awful Hogan vs. Warrior match get you back into that time period as well. Hart vs. Sting was great,I just finish watching that match.

Canadian Stampede is one of those ppvs that took you back into heart of WWE in the summer of 97. Flawless show.

Summerslam 97,Bash at the Beach 96,Fall Brawl 96,GAB 96 is all great ppvs to me as well.

Great thread, have been changing my mind the whole time I've been reading through it. I've always been a huge fan of most of the PPVs from 2000 - Raw was probably better around 97/8, but 2000 was packed with great shows. hard to pick just one, but would love to make a supercard out of my favourite PPV matches from that year

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back