• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best PPV of all time?

HeartBreakKid

Dark Match Winner
With 25 years of wrestlemania in the books i thought it would be good to discuss what the best pay per view of all time is.

My pick is Survivor Series 98' Deadly Games. It saw the first tournament for the wwf title in a decade. No one had any idea what was coming. It started a whole new wave in the WWF with the corporation followed by the ministry and the corporate ministry. It brought such fresh life to the WWF. Bringing Mr. McMahon and Stone Cold's feud to a new level and starting one of the greatest feuds of all time with Stone Cold vs The Rock. It also started the long strange feud / relationship between foley and The Rock. Outside the tournament we saw the womens championship defended for the first time and a triple threat match for the WWF tag team titles involving the new age outlaws and mark henry and d'lo brown (mosh and thrasher were also in there but they actually bring the crediability of the PPV down). The tournamnet itself saw matchs between Undertaker and Kane. Stone Cold and Mankind. Undertaker and The Rock. Stone Cold and the Big boss man. The Rock and Mankind. Not to mention all the backstabbing and behind the scenes action throughout the tournament including the injuring of stone cold and the idea that mankind was vince's pick to win. In the end the formulation of the corporation and The Rock finally taking a step to the head of the company really put this PPV over the top.

Im going to put what I think are the best PPV for each major company.

WWE - Summerslam 2002: To me this is my favorite because they had som any good matches on their. HBK vs HHH, Brock vs Rock, RVD vs Beniot and it was fun too.

TNA - Bound For Glory 2007: This PPV was very entertaining and also had good matches. It built up major hype and it did not disappoint

ROH - Man Up This was freakin awsome this had one of the best openings, lived up to the hype, and of course the LADDER WAR!

But if i had to choose out of all 3 i have to go with Man Up.

i have to go with ecw: one night stand 2005... almost everything is nostalgic and it gave me the ecw experience that the original fans had. :) it didn't even sucked that much when the "crusaders" where there, though i believe it's not that necessary. it also proved that having heyman and dreamer on the helm can be a success, while vince provides the fuel ofcourse.

thanks for reading.

Bound For Glory 05. that swanton jeff hardy gave abyss was fucking insane! and the rhyno driver 2 hardy in the same match was a good plus :)

Wrestlemania X-Seven. You had so many great matches. TLC II, Shane Vs Vince, HHH Vs Undertaker, and of course Stone Cold Vs The Rock. Every match was great and not to mention the heel turn by Austin. Nobody saw it coming.

you know im going to go with the personal who posted this thread. Survivor Series 98 has always been my favortie ppv. I loved everything about it and ironicly enough that was the first wwf ppv i ever ordered/saw. I also really liked king of the ring 98, breakdown 98, and judgement 98....they are also my favorites.

1998 ppvs were such quality...the stories were amazing and so well bulit. the austin/undertaker/kane/mcmahon storyline was money! probably my favorite storyline/fued EVER!

Wrestlemania 17 indeed. It had everything. For the wrestling purist, there was Regal vs Jericho and Benoit vs Angle. For fans of high spots, there was TLC Hardys vs Dudleys vs Edge and Christian. For fans of dramatic story telling, there was Vince vs Shane (which was a great match itself). For fans of huge marquee matches, there was the Rock vs Austin, what I felt was the best of their three Mania matches. Triple H vs 'Taker was excellent as well. A close second would be King of the Ring '98, just because it had my two favorite wrestlers in the greatest match of their careers (Hell in a Cell, 'Taker vs Mankind).

I would have to agree with Survivor Series 1998, this was by far the most intriguing show ever and was incredible to watch as there was a purpose and a twist of some sort to nearly every match on the show. The matches were short but the storytelling was perfect. This was and will forever be Vince Russo's masterpiece.

Wrestlemania X-7, So many great matches Triple Threat TLC, Shane vs Vince, Taker vs HHH and one of the greatest matches ever imo Rock vs Austin

One Night Stand 05

to make it "perfect" though....

-Bischoff and crew

+Van Dam vs. Cena from ONS 06....even though I HATE John Cena...THAT was a fantastic match!

ecw-december to dis member
wwe-wrestlemania 23
wcw- sold out 97
tna - destonation x 2009 cause that was the first tna ppv i seen

Wrestlemania 19!

Of all the PPV's ive witnessed, this one had the most 'Big Matches' on the card!

Hulk hogan vs Vince McMahon

HBK vs Jericho

Rock vs Steve Austin

Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar

HHH vs Booker T

I also think this was the last Wrestlemania to have larger than life matches, with the exception of HBK vs Ric Flair at WM 24!

WM 17. As stated previously, all the matches were brilliant. HHH v Taker, Shane v Vince, TLC, Rock v Austin, Austin heel turn. This ppv ushered out the attitude era in monumental style.

I'll grant that WM 17 is up there but in terms of best PPV EVER nothing compares to Wrestlemania 3!

maybe it's because no one really remembers and it's going too far back but easily the best ppv of all time

1. Most anticpated and biggest drawing match of all time (not to mention most historical, even if not a really great match, it was the best Andre was capable of at the time) in Hogan vs. Andre

2. Possibly one of the best actual matches of all time in Savage vs. Steamboat

3. All of the mid card and preliminary bouts were awesome!
- you had the Harts vs. the Bulldogs in a 6 man tag (awesome feud)
- JYD vs the true king harley race with the crown on the line (again great story)
-Roddy Piper's retirement match (not really but at the time everyone believed it, this match also created the barber character)
- the most humerous match of all time with the Hillbilly Jim and King Kong Bundy midget match
-you also had the battle of the full nelsons!
-Jake the Snake start of a face run with an entertaining feud with the Honky Tonk Man (the feud that essentialy propelled Honky to his long ic run)

Like I said, easily the best ppv ever, i didnt even mention the largest crowed in the history of Wrestling!

Lets see I personally think WM 17 is overrated I slept thru half of it honestly. But my picks are
Halloween Havoc 97- Hogan vs Piper, Savage vs DDP, Hall vs Luger was great IMO plus with Sting being a wild card it set up Starrcade that year

WrestleMania 14- I love Austin vs HBK, Taker vs Kane I, Rock vs Shamrock 98was a good year for Vince

honarable mentions, Battle Bowl 8990, Fall brawl 91,92,96, WM 19, Royal Rumble 98,94,08, Survivor Series, 91,95,97,98, starrcade,97.

Wrestlemania 8

I loved this PPV and I don't apologize for it. Let's run down the card, shall we?

Shawn Michaels vs Tito Santana. The passing of the mid-card torch. Tito put a great match on, but this was Shawn's post-Rockers assertion of his skill as a singles performer in the mid-card spot. He was used to jerk the curtain at the Hoosier Dome, and wrestled a strong match with a former IC Champ. Gorilla Monsoon even mentioned during the match that Shawn had already "challenged" the winner of the night's IC Title match...

Jake Roberts vs Undertaker. This was Taker's first major match as a face, complete with Bobby Heenan screaming "I never thought I'd hear people cheering for this man!" This was thr 2nd match in "The Streak" and involved Taker sitting up after 2 DDT's and eventually tombstoning Jake on the concrete floor FTW.

Bret Hart vs Roddy Piper. An automatic "honorable mention" whenever the topic of great IC Title matches comes up. Face vs face, with Piper playing the heel role. Bret got busted open nicely, and the technique of the match between two "friends" was awesome. The ending sequence was executed perfectly by Bret, Roddy, and the ref.

Virgil, Slaughter, Hacksaw, Bossman vs Repo Man, Mountie, Nasty Boys. A fun little 8-man tag. Though it read like a match of "leftovers," if you think about it, the match involved a former Million $ Champ, a former WWF Champ, a former Royal Rumble winner, a former IC Champ, and former tag champs. That, combined with Ray Combs making fun of the heels with his Family Feud humor - it was a great 10 minute respite.

Randy Savage vs Ric Flair. Still one of the best WM Title Matches ever. So much personal hate fueling this match, Elizabeth running down to the ring, Flair's bloody hair, Mr. Perfect on the outside, Heenan flipping out in the announce booth as Monsoon mocked him, and the controversial "Savage held Flair's tights" finish. all around classic.

Rick Martel vs Tatanka. The "other" member of Strike Force also passed a torch tonight, to the undefeated Tatanka. This WM match actually signified the beginning of a feud between these two, and Tatanka never lost to Martel. Short match with action.

The Natural Disasters vs Money Inc. The disappointment of the night. A decent tag match with DiBiase and IRS showing they could work with SHW's pretty well, but eventually pulling the heel move of taking the intentional count out to save their titles.

Owen Hart vs Skinner. A 2-minute match that was shortened due to the WWF Title Match going over and the need for more time for the main event...

Hulk Hogan vs Sid Justice. Rumored to be Hogan's last match (yeah, Ok...), Sid had a legit beef with Hogan stemming from the Royal Rumble. Though many feel the main event of this event should have been Flair vs Hogan, it was not to be. A strong if not formulaic fight between a scary heel and the eternal face, with the return of The Ultimate Warrior at the end. Overall an exciting moment.

Wrestlemania 8 - always one of my all time favorites.

I agree I hate John Cena too. He is too overrated. I don't have a favorite PPV but one of my favorite Matches from one of the greatest Wrestlemania's of all time was Wrestlemania 22 as John Cena defended the WWE Title against a guy that is one of the very best in the WWE I am talking about The Game, The Cerebral Assassian, and The King of Kings.....Triple H. Triple H has always been one of my favorite Wrestlers and in my opnion he should of beat John Cena that night but like he said on Monday Night Raw the next night he underestimated Cena. Triple H is better than John Cena and every John Cena fan knows it! So Game On!

Well Guys,wrestlemania 17 Was Awesome, A Ring Of Honor Being The Best Ppv Of All Time???? What's Wrong With You Boy? Damn It!

Ok I Continue.....

Ehmmm Well Some Incredible Ppvs Have Been:

*a Flair For The Gold, Starrcade 1983 With Ric Winning The Nwa World Title From Harley Race, Epic

*wrestlemania Iii, Not For Hogan, For Steamboat And Savage And All The Great Matches, Well The Hogan-andre Bout Is Historic, It's Meaning Is Huge, But Hogan Is A Shit...

*wrestlemania Xx, The Best Of All, Amazing!!!!!!

SummerSlam 2002, the last great wrestling card. Almost great from start to finish.

Spring Stampede 1999, the last great WCW PPV card.

My pick is Survivor Series 98' Deadly Games. It saw the first tournament for the wwf title in a decade. No one had any idea what was coming. It started a whole new wave in the WWF with the corporation followed by the ministry and the corporate ministry. It brought such fresh life to the WWF. Bringing Mr. McMahon and Stone Cold's feud to a new level and starting one of the greatest feuds of all time with Stone Cold vs The Rock. It also started the long strange feud / relationship between foley and The Rock. Outside the tournament we saw the womens championship defended for the first time and a triple threat match for the WWF tag team titles involving the new age outlaws and mark henry and d'lo brown (mosh and thrasher were also in there but they actually bring the crediability of the PPV down). The tournamnet itself saw matchs between Undertaker and Kane. Stone Cold and Mankind. Undertaker and The Rock. Stone Cold and the Big boss man. The Rock and Mankind. Not to mention all the backstabbing and behind the scenes action throughout the tournament including the injuring of stone cold and the idea that mankind was vince's pick to win. In the end the formulation of the corporation and The Rock finally taking a step to the head of the company really put this PPV over the top.

It don't think it's the best from an actual wrestling standpoint. Overall most of the matches were poor. But from a storyline perspective it's absolutely perfect.

Wrestlemania 8

I loved this PPV and I don't apologize for it. Let's run down the card, shall we?

Shawn Michaels vs Tito Santana. The passing of the mid-card torch. Tito put a great match on, but this was Shawn's post-Rockers assertion of his skill as a singles performer in the mid-card spot. He was used to jerk the curtain at the Hoosier Dome, and wrestled a strong match with a former IC Champ. Gorilla Monsoon even mentioned during the match that Shawn had already "challenged" the winner of the night's IC Title match...

Jake Roberts vs Undertaker. This was Taker's first major match as a face, complete with Bobby Heenan screaming "I never thought I'd hear people cheering for this man!" This was thr 2nd match in "The Streak" and involved Taker sitting up after 2 DDT's and eventually tombstoning Jake on the concrete floor FTW.

Bret Hart vs Roddy Piper. An automatic "honorable mention" whenever the topic of great IC Title matches comes up. Face vs face, with Piper playing the heel role. Bret got busted open nicely, and the technique of the match between two "friends" was awesome. The ending sequence was executed perfectly by Bret, Roddy, and the ref.

Virgil, Slaughter, Hacksaw, Bossman vs Repo Man, Mountie, Nasty Boys. A fun little 8-man tag. Though it read like a match of "leftovers," if you think about it, the match involved a former Million $ Champ, a former WWF Champ, a former Royal Rumble winner, a former IC Champ, and former tag champs. That, combined with Ray Combs making fun of the heels with his Family Feud humor - it was a great 10 minute respite.

Randy Savage vs Ric Flair. Still one of the best WM Title Matches ever. So much personal hate fueling this match, Elizabeth running down to the ring, Flair's bloody hair, Mr. Perfect on the outside, Heenan flipping out in the announce booth as Monsoon mocked him, and the controversial "Savage held Flair's tights" finish. all around classic.

Rick Martel vs Tatanka. The "other" member of Strike Force also passed a torch tonight, to the undefeated Tatanka. This WM match actually signified the beginning of a feud between these two, and Tatanka never lost to Martel. Short match with action.

The Natural Disasters vs Money Inc. The disappointment of the night. A decent tag match with DiBiase and IRS showing they could work with SHW's pretty well, but eventually pulling the heel move of taking the intentional count out to save their titles.

Owen Hart vs Skinner. A 2-minute match that was shortened due to the WWF Title Match going over and the need for more time for the main event...

Hulk Hogan vs Sid Justice. Rumored to be Hogan's last match (yeah, Ok...), Sid had a legit beef with Hogan stemming from the Royal Rumble. Though many feel the main event of this event should have been Flair vs Hogan, it was not to be. A strong if not formulaic fight between a scary heel and the eternal face, with the return of The Ultimate Warrior at the end. Overall an exciting moment.

Wrestlemania 8 - always one of my all time favorites.

What that cunt said.

As much as I love the WrestleMania's, 12, 17, and 18 being my personal favorites, I think some of the lesser PPV's have been better (with the exception of Mania 17) for instance,

Summerslam 1996 (best known for the Boiler room brawl/HBK Vs Vader) but the show was good, had tag titles on the line in a stellar match (for that time period) Goldust/Mero had a good match,

Survivor Series 1996, also best known for the Sid/HBK match with the fans in MSG turning on HBK, but it had the first Bret/Austin match (IMO better then Mania 13), 3 survivor series match IMO the best tradional style survivor series match being HHH/Goldust/King Lawler/Crush Vs The Rock/The Stalker/Mark Mero/Jake the Snake also the debut of the Nation of Domination

Canadian Stampeed July 1997, most fans seemed to have either forgotten this ppv due to it being a In Your House, or haven't watched it, was a 4 match PPV, started with Mankind/HHH that ended in a double DQ (I believe) and fought throughout the arena, Vader/Undertaker world title match, TAKA/Great Sazuki capped off with the Hart Foundation against Lod/Austin/Shamrock/Goldust.. classic PPV,

Summerslam 2000 yet another classic, Shane/Blackman didn't look good on paper but delivered probably that match is best known to the PPV, but this had the first ever TLC match, 2/3 Falls with Benoit/Jericho (one of their "forgotten" matches) Rock/HHH/Angle main event, top ppv IMO.

Backlash 2002 No body talks about this one but IMO this card produced better matches then Wrestlemania X8 the previous month, Austin/Taker (Flair was ref) RVD/Latino Heat, Jeff Hardy/Brock Lesnar, Triple H/Hulk Hogan.

I'm not huge on WCW PPV's as I've only seen a handful (most of which was in 2000 and sucked) nor have I seen many ECW PPV's but note worthy is Heatwave 1998, and WWE version of ECW One Night Stand 2005 (the original)

1.Wrestlemania 17 is easily my favorite card of all time...for reasons stated earlier. The card, aside from the Right to Censor vs. Taz/APA tag match, was absolutely perfect along with excellent buildup, especially Austin/Rock

2. Summerslam 2002 was incredible as well. Probably the best pure card they've ever put together. Angle vs. Mysterio's opening bout rocked the house down. and don't even get me started on HHH vs. HBK

3. Survivor Series 2002- Every match was absolutely amazing. The tag team tables match, Kidman and Jamie Noble put on a 5 star match, Brock/Big Show, The tag team championship elimination match was amazing too as well as the first elimination chamber. The women's match (trish vs. victoria street fight) was highly entertaining too. Thinking back, 2002 had to be the best year for great wrestling.

Royal Rumble 2000- dudleys vs. hardys table match, hhh vs. foley street fight, angle vs. tazz's debut, and the rumble match rocked.

Wrestlemania 19- This card was stacked with amazing matches that delivered from top to bottom.

Invasion- Solid card with matchups we hadn't gotten a chance to see before. The entrance way was pretty sick too.

For me it's got to be Backlash 2000.

It was the first PPV I ever saw and blew me away then, even though I was young at the time and didn't really appreciate much beyond hardcore matches, table bumps and The Rock, in retrospect it's a great storytelling piece of entertainment, both full of bumps and great athletic ability throughout the card, which is sadly absent from most of the recent PPV's.

To any fan who is really familiar with the last 6 or less years, I highly recommend this to give you a clear example of what the company was(And probably still is...) capable of.

In analysis, it is also quite underrated, as are a few other PPV's from 2000 (Fully Loaded, Unforgiven, No Mercy mainly), but looking at the card for that PPV and the quality of the match that followed easily makes this a classic from start to finish.

I'll go far enough as to give a match by match analysis just to try and paint a picture:

Well one thing that gets me going is a damn good opening promo, well Backlash's is fantastic, obsoive:

[youtube]BF7TwijbWx0[/youtube]

Luckily, most of the PPV's from 2000 had great promos for all of the matches.

Anyways, the first match was Edge & Christian vs. Road Dogg & X-Pac, if you want a visual document of how athletic Edge & Christian use to be then check them out in this match, all 4 on great form, a few little ariel spots and it just generally looks very organized. The match actually ends after Christian hits X-Pac with the ring bell and promptly busts him open (Wether it was legit I'm still unsure to this day) and gets the pin.

A great way to open a PPV IMO.

Then came a great technical Crusierweight Championship match from Dean Malenko and Scotty 2 Hotty who was the top of his game at this point, but sadly never amounted to much after this match, the same goes for Malenko. Anyone who thinks Triple H's matches nowadays are true displays of technical ability, please watch this match and you'll see what true technical wrestling looks like, and theres a great finisher at the end.

Up next was The APA vs. The Big Boss Man & Bull Buchanan, a great power match between the 2, nothing amazing but still a great solid entertaining match which could beat most main event matches in the last few years.

That was followed by the 6 man Hardcore match which some of you may be familiar with, if so I'll save the hassle and keep it short. A great hardcore match with some great high spots from the young Jeff Hardy, generally a good match and kept the crowds attention.

Next came The Big Show vs. Kurt Angle in a pretty entertaining squash match. Big Show at this point had lightened up and was having fun with playing with different personas and what not, for this he came out as Hulk Hogan and actually did a pretty decent imitation both on the mic and in the ring, but ultimately a Chokeslam won it for Big Show.

And then a rather underrated classic followed, even though it was a midcard match this had alot of heat going into it. It was T & A vs. Team 3D, and this when Bubba was all about putting women through tables and Trish was next. The match was a great display of ability from both teams and the crowd were there all the way, T& A won it eventually. Still, the crowd went nuts when Bubba finally Trish through the table.

Another underrated classic followed, Eddie Guerrero vs. Essa Rios for the European Championship. A great display of lucha libre skills and high spots to boot, Eddie won a hugely enjoyable match, at this time as well it was when Eddie was falling for Chyna.

The next match was the one that set up the submissions match at Judgement Day which was brilliant, and that was Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit for the Intercontinental Championship. Another display of technical ability which is yet to be topped, ultimately Jericho lost his cool and got DQ'd for using the belt.

And finally, quite possibly one of the best main events I've ever seen in WWF/E history, The Rock vs. Triple H for the Championship, with Shane as a guest referee. This match both had a great buid up and story to it, the heat was intense both The Rock being screwed at the underrated Wrestlemania 16 and the possible return of Stone Cold. The match itself was a solid match between the 2, much more on the beat as opposed to their earlier matches. A great double Rock-Bottom through the announce table is in there as well, and of course, Austin's return, although it wasn't more than a couple of chair shots, the pop he got was insane, as was The Rock's when he finally got the pin. And of course, Austin came back out to toast to the winner.

Since then, and 2000 in general I've never really seen a PPV which rivals this one, and even though I'm not the fan I use to be, I still find it hard to not get goosebumps from this one.

Highly recommended.

I have a lot but just shorten its down almost all the PPV's in 2005 and 2006 were my faveorites because i loved the rivalries and storylines i mean i have more but mainly, my faveorites were most of the ones in 2005-2006.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back