Best Movie Based On A Comic Book Or Graphic Novel

What Wins The Zonie For Best Movie Based On A Comic Or Graphic Novel?

• The Dark Knight

• Spiderman 2

• Road To Perdition

• Superman: The Movie

• Batman Begins

• Ironman

• Spiderman

• X-Men 2

• A History Of Violence

• Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm

• Sin City

• Watchmen

• Kick-Ass

• Men In Black

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

2011 Zonie Awards

Nominees for Best Movie Based On A Comic Book

The Dark Knight

Spiderman 2

Road To Perdition

Superman: The Movie (1978)

Batman Begins

Iron Man

Spiderman

X-Men 2

A History Of Violence

Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm

Sin City

Watchmen

Kick-Ass

Men In Black

To hasten this process, voting will now begin immediately with all discussion also taking place henceforth from the moment this thread is posted. Voting will last 7 days.

Absolutely no vote here for me needed. This hands down goes to the Dark Knight. It was the best movie out of the list and really personified the Joker. It had enough darkness in it to really capture the darkness of movie and for once had the Bad Guy seem incredibly bad which the Dark Knight is all about. It truly was like watching a Comic and for that I think it deserves my vote. This movie has made me uber excited for the Dark Knight Rises and I can't wait to see it play out.

This is totally not my category as I'm not big on superheros, comics, or the like, but I feel obliged to post here because I like movies and have seen a couple of these.

The Dark Knight is massively overrated. Was it a technically good movie? I think so. Did it entertain me to a huge degree? Nope. Don't get me wrong, every part with the Joker (Ledger) was enthralling, and his performance alone gives this film merit. But, I was simply turned off when he wasn't on the screen and I was getting a storyline I didn't actually care for.

Spiderman gets my vote. This is a childhood favorite of mine. All of the performances were well done, the characters are memorable, and It got my attention from start to finish.

Absolutely no vote here for me needed. This hands down goes to the Dark Knight.

I have to completely disagree here, having read both the book that's my choice, and having seen the move several times. When combining the amazing book by Vince Locke, A History of Violence is the right choice here. Allow me to explain.

David Cronenberg's adaptation of Locke's graphic novel places a simple American family man, and his all-American family, into a new and disturbing context which has them questioning everything they think they know. The Dark Knight, for as good of a movie that it was, isn't a movie that leaves you talking about it for some time following seen it, other then the usual fluff talk of how well acted and scripted the movie is. A History of Violence provides the substance rather then the fluff, which is one of the reasons it should be the choice.

For those unfamilar with the movie, Viggo Mortensen does a great turn as Tom Stall, a seemingly simple man who owns a little diner in a small town and has a nice house on the outskirts of town, where he and his wife Edie, played by Mario Bello live. They go about raising their two children in a way that seems t be their personal adaptation of living the American dream. All of this is shaken one day when two murderers come into his diner at closing time for cherry pie, and to kil Tom in the process. Tom, the mild mannered family man, kills both without blinking in a way that is instinctive to him rather then out of a heroic defense of his diner. Tom becomes a town and national hero, with his picture appearing on CNN at one point.

Where the movie truly takes its turn and marks its brilliance is when Tom retuns to work, and the menacing but mysterous Carl Fogerty(played by Ed Harris) and his henchmen pay Tom a visit at his diner. Harris reveals a disfiguring injury, and claims to know Tom in a past life as Joey Cusack.While Tom denies this, but Carl later pays Tom's wife a visit, leaving her with the simple question of "Why is Tom so good at killing people?" Combining thiswith him easily dispatching the men at his diner, it plants the first seed as to who Tom truly is. Mistaking Tom for someone else, Harris and his crew lingers in the vicinity, threatening Stalls idyllic small town family life.

What really distinguishes this mistaken-identity plot of the type "innocent-man-is-faced-with-violence-and-has-to-act" from other films is the way the movie deconstructs thetypical United States culture of visual violence, and even seduces the audience to embrace that culture as the movie progresses, and truly gets the audience to both embrace and like his characters, in spite of their brutal actions.

In addition, the move carefully takes the viewer on a ride through the total range of human emotions, from love and tenderness to blazing hatred. The movie portrays every possible human relationship, each of which features an aspect of violence at some time. Even the sexual relations are definitively violent. Noone is portrayed as sacred, as it explores this violence between husband and wife, children and their parents, siblings, old friends, and young bullies. Another thing that makes it rise above is that each character is portrayed by an excellent cast that manages to make their characters come realistically to life in spite of the topical story, with the characters moving in parrallel to one another.

Each actor in the movie isn't just a typical charismatic, glamorous star taking care of their image. Each of them embraces their roles completely,nd the vewer is left blieving that's who they truly are, as thy're that convincing. The same could be said of Ledger obviously in the Dark Knight, but who else? Each character is A History of Violence embraces said character, a true rarty in movies.

The "is he or isn' he dominates the film, which leaves the viewer on the edge of their seats. Tom's actions, wile forced throughout, truly leave the viewer to come to their own conclusions. The movie even ends with the question left essentially unasnwered, affecting the American dream he had so carefully constructed. William Hurt, playing Tom's brother, was nominated for an Academy Award, as was Mario Bello as Tom's wife. They played their roles to perfection, allowing Mortensen to do the same. The movie certainly had its share of offensive material, but it was portrayed integraly to the plot.No scene was wasted, as every scene truly meant something in telling the story of the film. While there are some great choices on the list, especially Batman begins, there is simply no downtime in the movie, with Tom desperately trying to seemingly escape his past, yet being drawn back into violence, mistaken identity or not. The believability of each character, the challenging of stereotypes, and the leaving of the viewer to cometo their own conclusions beautifully draws one in here, and makes it the correct choice. Ill be voting for A History of Violence, and Id encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to do so before voting. I have a feeling you'll reach the similar conclusions that I did.

I'm giving this one to The Dark Knight.

Don't get me wrong, there are multiple movies in this one that I would love to vote for but when I think about the movies that I would recommend to anyone, only a few of them make the cut. And then of them, when I think about which one I enjoyed the most, The Dark Knight is the clear winner.

Having just watched it yesterday, I can vouch for just how good it is. Heath Ledger and Christian Bale just had everything right when they starred in this movie. Christopher Nolan was all over this one in direction and they just created one of the best movies ever. Never mind this movie being based on a comic book or a graphic novel, this movie is simply one of the best pieces of film ever created. That sentiment alone takes it above most of the other movies in this competition and rightfully so.

Maybe it has an added magic because it was the last film that Heath Ledger ever starred in before his death but I don't think that makes a difference. The Dark Knight is the best comic book movie ever and there is not a lot of movies that come close to it in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back