Most Quotable Movie Or Franchise

What Wins The Zonie For Most Quotable Movie Or Movie Franchise?

• Borat

• Fight Club

• Pulp Fiction

• Anchorman

• The Dark Knight

• The Godfather

• Superbad

• Jackie Brown

• Forrest Gump

• Star Wars

• The Departed

• Dumb And Dumber

• Terminator

• The Matrix

• Lord Of The Rings

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

2011 Zonie Awards

Nominees for Most Quotable Movie

Borat

Fight Club

Pulp Fiction

Anchorman

The Dark Knight

The Godfather

Superbad

Jackie Brown

Forrest Gump

Star Wars

The Departed

Dumb And Dumber

Terminator

The Matrix

Lord Of The Rings

To hasten this process, voting will now begin immediately with all discussion also taking place henceforth from the moment this thread is posted. Voting will last 7 days.

There is no question about it that Lord of the Rings is clearly the most quotable. I watched the Two Towers the other day and for a good ten minutes was saying the lines before the actual actors. So with that being said I think it is obvious that I go with that. It may not have the humorous lines but it has the lines that I feel are easily repeated by everyone. For examle Gandalf's classic line on the Bridge of Kazadoom "You shall not pass." Is something that ahs become a common line.

I don't know how quotable these movies are in a worldwide view, but I know how quotable they are in my experiences. Friends, teachers, family members, they all gave their weak attempt at being Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks). As a freshman in high school I remember nervously walking in to my first class and listening to the teacher giving an orientation. He randomly impersonated Gump, showing off his mimicking skills, and I remember feeling at ease. My friend in high school always comically quoted the movie as well. So, I've always looked favorably upon the movie and inferred that it is pretty quotable.

I don't know if this is truly the most quoted movie out of the list, but from my background it is.

I went for Star Wars and you can't really say that it's not...

Speak to most people anywhere in the world and I will guarantee that they know about “The Force”. I also bet they know who Darth Vader is and what a Light Sabre is used for. Still, that is neither here nor there.

The fact of the matter is that everyone knows “Luke, I am your father” and “may the force be with you”. I am willing to bet also that you, at one stage of your life, have talked like Yoda for comedic effect or otherwise. Let's face it, Star Wars has a huge cultural impact and that impact is still causing ripple throughout society today.

Arguing that Star Wars is not the most quotable movie ever is like arguing that the sky isn't blue. It's just nonsensical.

I'm surprised Airplane didn't make the list but Jackie Brown and The Departed did. Both are good films but very very rarely hear people quote lines from them, whereas most people almost as a reflex to any question beginning with, "Surely you can't..." respond with "Don't call me Shirley." Doesn't it also have the highest rate of jokes in any film, 3 per minute or so?

Onto the choices at hand, and I'm gonna go with Terminator.

Despite Arnold's very limited dialogue in the first film, 3 words are synonymous with not only the franchise but him the person too, "I'll be back."

It's minimalistic but tells you everything about the character when coupled with his look. He scans the desk area robotically, takes a look at the guard then leans in to deliver his line. The fact it's a commonly used expression meant with no menace usually is completely turned around by the fact we know this guy is a terminator, that's his function, to terminate, and adds a chilling overtone to such a casual phrase.

Other great quotes from the series

"Come with me if you want to live."
"There's a storm coming in." "...I know."
"You're terminated fucker!"
"Sarah Connor?"
"His name is Connor. John Connor. Your son, Sarah, your unborn son." "Well at least now I know what to call him."

"Hasta la vista baby"
"What's wrong with your eyes?"
"I need a vacation"
"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member