Best Twist Ending To A Movie

What Wins The Zonie For Best Twist Ending To A Movie?

• Fight Club

• Shutter Island

• The Machinist

• The Departed

• The Village

• The Sixth Sense

• Gone Baby Gone

• The Others

• Memento

• Unbreakable

• The Prestige

• Scream

• Donnie Darko

• The Devil's Advocate

• American Psycho

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

2011 Zonie Awards

Nominees for Best Twist Ending To A Movie

Fight Club

Shutter Island

The Machinist

The Departed

The Village

The Sixth Sense

Gone Baby Gone

The Others

Memento

Unbreakable

The Prestige

Scream

Donnie Darko

The Devil's Advocate

American Psycho

To hasten this process, voting will now begin immediately with all discussion also taking place henceforth from the moment this thread is posted. Voting will last 7 days.

Shutter Island!! Just because I'm a huge mark for that movie. I know we're talking about twist endings, but I've got my mark shades on and it's swaying me to vote for it.

Loved the subtleties of the film, little details that you could pick up that corroborates beautifully with the ending. And, at the end, it is largely up to the viewer to decide what actually happened; I mean, they give you an explanation but it can go either way. I had to give this movie multiple viewings just to see the details and form an opinion.

So, Shutter Island get my vote.

Shutter Island is one of the best movies I have ever witnessed.

So, my voting of The Sixth Sense over Shutter Island should go some way into describing how good of a twist ending it actually was. In terms of twist endings in the history of film, I think that The Sixth Sense is and always will be the epitome of what they should aspire to be.

I hesitate to add some spoilers into this thread but if you haven't seen The Sixth Sense by now, then you don't even deserve to comment or view this thread. The fact that he is dead the entire time, even though it follows the logical train of thought, will still surprise and shock anyone who ever watched the movie. Bruce Willis is exceptional in this movie and his performance, coupled with the greatness that is the plot, lends itself to making the twist ending to this film the greatest twist ending on film.

The Sixth Sense is the clear winner here and the only way it will lose is if more popular movies manage to steer people's votes in another direction. However, speaking about twist endings and only of that, The Sixth Sense should take the cake here.

No Psycho? That was a pretty big one!

Anyways I went for Shutter Island too. The build-up and pay-off were matched so well. From the problems with continuity, to the more obvious than it should be green-screening to impose a sense of disorientation and confusion, to the tense climax, it was all superbly directed and acted from start to finish.

Fight Club: Yeah, the twist was good, but in a sense, so unbelievable that it took away from the shock value. This was a good twist, like the film itself, but by no means great.

Shutter Island: This was a very nice twist, and Im with Dave that its one of the best movies Ive ever seen. DiCaprio gave a performance of a lifetime and truly had me convinced for part of the movie. The issue was the clues they dropped throughout the movie that he wasn't who he was thought to be, and by the end, I had it all but figured out. A phenomenal move nonetheless, but it wont get my vote.

The Machinist: This is my favorite Christian Bale movie. But again, I question how big of a twist the movie provided, as it was more inswight into the human psyche then anything. The twist made sense, and the payoff was a good one, but another one that the only ending that would have made any sense would have been this one. Great, great movie, but not a great twist.

The Departed: Where exactly was the twist here? The audience knew Damon was corrupt, and when Wahlberg was suspended, you knew you hadn't seen the last of him. I wasn't in shock or awe of how they pulled off the ending, I just felt it was poetic justice. I loved this movie, but another one that Im not sure is right for this list.

The Village:
"Those of who we do not speak"! This movie was utter crap. I was disappointed that a clever idea was so badly put together, leaving the viewer uncapable of truly investing in the movie. Its hard to invest in a twist if youre not into the movie in the first place, and the most i can remember is asking my now wife 5 or 6 times, "Can we skip out and go eat already?" What could have been brilliant was poorly executed.

The Sixth Sense: A very close second for me. A wonderful film that gave the believability all along that Willis was alive. The only issue, but it played well into the movie, was his wife's seeming refusal to talk to him. But the investment in the character couldnt have been much better done, leaving for one hell of a payoff. There just happens to be one I prefer more here.

Gone Baby Gone: What a phenomenal movie. Casey Affleck was brilliant here, as was Michelle Monaghan. I didn't see it coming that the kidnapper had been Morgan Freeman, although he was the logical one. Still, it didn't have that "shock" feeling that the Sixth Sense and Shutter Island, amongst others, provided.

The Others: I liked this movie, I really did, but I expected so much more from a twist from this film. It was better then Knowing or Lady in the Water at least!

Memento:
The movie I nominated, and will be sticking with after seeing the list. i won't spoil it for those who havent seen, butMemento is one of those pictures that will have you sitting in the theater(as it did me in 2000) after the lights come up so you can talk to everyone else about what they thought of the movie. A highly intelligent, original brain teaser that will have you guessing from beginning to end. Guy Pearce was simply phenomenal as the amnesiac in search of his wifes killer, and the reveal culdn't have been more shocking or better played out. This is what twists should aspire to be.

Unbreakable: Anothr movie I really enjoyed, although I understand those that didnt. At times, it was a little too unrealistic for me, bu it played out in such a slow, deliberate manner that you knew you were in for a surprise. It doesn'tquite getthere, but it gives The Sixth Sense and Memento a run for their money.

The Prestige: Another greatim, with an equally great reveal at the end. Theycouldnt have picked beter actors to be more convincing in their roles then Bale and Jackman. But the movie was quite dark for me was more about one-uppmanship then it was about the reveal at the end, and while its a movie I left pondering for a few hours, it was more about the complex characters then it was the twist.

Scream: Just no. Fine for what it was, a teen slasher flick, but the supense here was hardly palpable.

Donnie Darko: I watched this movie several times when it came out to truly get the twst of the ending. This movie was truly a brilliant mind-eff. But the twist doesnt masure up in comparison to some of thohers as it didnt stay true t thecharacter Ghylenhall was playing. It was a great movie, no doubt about it, but the twist wasn't that big.

TheDevils Advocate:
Pacno was his brilliant self and Reeves did a nice job as his foil, nd the reveal completely caught meff guard. The problem is the movie just became more and moreabsurd as it went along that the reveal couldnt save the movie from being incongruent. The scene leading up to the reveal was also horrendous stuff. I liked the film all in all, but it wasn't a movie I think of when i think "Great twists".

American Psycho: The same could be said here that was of The Devils Advocate. The movie grew so absurdly violent and Bale's character so depraved that it was a stretch to tae it seriously, and the movie really could have ended only two ways, with Bale dead, or how it did. I like how they explored the dark, twisted places of one's imagination. In the end,the movie will nag at you, with the "Did he or didn't he?" question. And in the end,I think the answer doesn't really matter, as possibly the answer is the same regardless. But this movie left me with a sense of introspection rather then feeling twisted, and it wasn't a great movie either.

Memento will get my vote. Guy Pearce put on the performance of a lifetime, and the script was laid out perfectly with the end reveal being a masterpiece. I think about it 10 years later and still applaud the effort that was put in that made the twist so special and unique. Had it made the list, the Usual Suspects could have given it a run for its money, but Memento would still have been my choice most likely.

Didn't like The Departed's ending.

I loved American Psycho's ending to bits.

Shutter Island was one of the two reasons I became a slight mark for DiCaprio. Great, great ending.

Knew about Sixth Sense's ending before watching it, so it was spoiled.

I think I'll vote American Psycho.

I honestly wouldn't vote for any of the options. The best twist ending in film history is from The Usual Suspects. The entire film is brilliant but the way in which it ends makes it a classic, as well as the most iconic ending in film history. Without the ending the film would have been good but not great. No one expected Kevin Spacey to be who he was, trying not to give away any spoilers. As far as the audience was concerned, Spacey was the narrator, but the ending tied up all of the loose ends while shocking the hell out of the audience in both a serious, yet comedic way. So, while I respect the nominations and films listed, the real winner of this Zonie is The Usual Suspects.

The Sixth Sense for me. Many films have great twists, where this excels is that this shouldn't be a twist - we should see it coming. That Shyamalan rubs our faces in Willis being dead the whole movie and yet we still don't see it :blush:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back