• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Championship

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Here in America, baseball season is likely to end tonight with what could be the final game of the World Series. It has been going on for over 100 years and is a time honored tradition in this country, where teh winners of each baseball league face off to determine the World Champions. I don't care who plays, I'm going to watch it no matter what.

That being said, what championship game or series is the best in your opinion? Is it the World Series, where its the champions of each league in a best of seven series to decide the world champion? Maybe the Stanley Cup Finals, where the winner gets the msot awesome looking trophy in American sport? Perhaps American Football, where it truly is winner take all. Or could it be something like the BCS title game, the Kentucky Derby or the US Open? Outside of America there are a great number of options as well: Wimbeldon, the World Cup final, the Champions League Final. All of these are great sporting events that come once a year or even less often and decide flat out who is the true champion of their sport. So my question is, what championship game/series is the best, and why?

It's the Stanley Cup.

Lord Stanley's cup has SO MUCH history.

1. First of all, it is the oldest trophy in North American Sports. We are talking 1893 here, people.

2. Second of all, it is the only pro sports championship where a new trophy isn't made each year. It's the same cup - always has been. The team keeps it until the finals of the following year, and every player gets time with it.

3. It is the only pro sports trophy that features the name of every player, coach, and member of management staff etched on it for eternity.

4. The cup is the only North American Sports Trophy brought overseas during war time to boost troop morale.

5. It is the only pro sports trophy where the tradition exists that EVERY player on the championship team gets to hold it and do a "victory lap" around the playing surface with it.

6. Since 1914, there have been only 2 years that the cup has not been awarded - 1918-19 (Spanish Flu) and 2004-05 (lockout).

7. And finally, the Stanley Cup is the only pro sports trophy with such a prominant role in the championship celebration, with the winning teams players taking turns imbibing champagne out of it. Some of them even took it home and allowed their dogs to eat out of it. Awesome.

I have to go with IC. The Stanley Cup is the greatest prize in professional sports. It is the hardest playoff tournament every year in sports history, where teams can play up to 28 games just to get to the silver trophy. I am sure many people have no Idea what the superbowl trophy, MLB World Series trophy, the World Cup, or the NBA Championship trophy or many other trophies even look like. They will know what the great cup in the world looks like though. The NHL Playoffs are the best playoff, where a hotstreak doesnt guarantee a win, and each series pits two teams that can win against eachother. It is a playoff that doesn't go to the best team in the regular seaon, doesn't go to the team who spends the most, it goes to the team that is the best shaped, has the greatest sense of teamship, and is coached, lead, backstopped, and wins by heart. A hitter can carry a team to the MLB championship, A quaterback can carry a team, but NHL teams need more than a goalie. NJ always had their Defense, The Avs always had their special teams, Detroit always has its 4 lines that will roll over you. That is what makes a great championship.

Being from Detroit it pains me to say this cause I know I will never witness my team win one I have to go with the Super Bowl. I know it doesnt have the history of the World Series or Stanley cup but it is the championship of the biggest sport in America which is enough for me. It is far and away the most watched program every year. And I always been a fan of single eliminations tournaments or playoffs like the NCAA basketball and the NFL playoffs. I know there are flaws to it because the better team might not always win cause you can catch a team on an off day but it makes it so much more exciting. Basically the way I look at it is no championship gets more coverage then the Super Bowl which makes it the most important in my eyes.

With that said I have to give a shout out to The Masters golf tournament. Im sure there arent many golf fans on here and most find it boring but it is one of my favorite sporting events all year. Im a big golf fan myself and an avid golfer so I think that is why I like it so much. Every year I look forward to it and I watch pretty much every minute that it is on. Just the beauty that is Augusta National in the spring time adds to it. As the slogan says for it it truly is a tradition unlike any other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back