• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Batista to Attempt MMA?

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
Crossposting from the WWE Forum...

Meltzer covers MMA for both The Wrestling Oberver and Yahoo Sports. Last night, he attended the Strikeforce event that was also attended by Batista, Goldberg, and Ernest "The Cat" Miller. Of course, Meltzer seized the opportunity to get what would be an interesting interview with Batista, who had just left the company.

Batista didn't rule out a return to WWE but did not seem in a hurry to work with the company again. Batista, who has lost some weight since leaving WWE, said he was out in Los Angeles looking for work. He was seen talking with Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker but The Animal entering the MMA world to fight seems highly unlikely.

Being an MMA fan does not make you an MMA fighter. The fact that Scott Coker actually humored Batista and presumably talked to him about fighting for Strikeforce is very amusing and mortifying at the same time. Batista is not Brock Lesnar or Bobby Lashley. He has absolutely no amateur wrestling credentials that would make him a credible candidate to be a mixed martial artist like them. His physique isn't one that was obtained 100% naturally, and he's not a true athlete like Herschel Walker is. One even has to wonder what kind, if any, MMA training Batista has undergone.

Also, consider his age and his history. He's 41 years old. His body has gone through a significant amount of wear and tear. Whatever Batista would hypothetically pick up in training most likely would not be retained. There's also the rumor that Booker T beat him up when they got into a fight backstage a few years ago.

The only upside I could see is if Strikeforce decides to go down the complete sideshow attraction route, and books him to fight Herschel Walker. Both guys have little to no experience, but it would be a huge draw, regardless.

Please no, being a fan of both WWE and MMA I truly hope he doesn't go anywhere near an Octagon unless its to watch a fight. I liked Batista in WWE, he might not of had the skills or the charisma but he was enjoyable, but he is no MMA fighter.

Like you said, he is no Brock Lesnar, his physic is not 100% natural, even putting the whole "Booker T wooped his ass" thing behind, I wouldn't wanna see it, not even as a Novelty fight with Herschel, just no... Please god no.

Honestly I think this is a bad idea for Big Dave. He may train a little in a few of the disciplines but he is in no way prepared for an actual fight against a true mixed martial artist and I honestly believe that at his age and with the ware and tear that his body has endured and the way the sport currently is that he is going to get himself very badly hurt and his ego will take a massive hit. He has not trained long enough and does not know enough to truly succeed unless he is only fighting cans. Sure he may have a sluggers chance but that will only take him so far. A few wins is going to be cute but eventually fans will want to see him bump up in competition and he just won't be able to hang with the big dogs. In fact I would venture to say that he will suck major ass.

If Coker went ahead and signed Dave, this would just scream desperation for Strikeforce to gain ratings. It would also be one of the dumbest things he has done! You can say yeah they signed Herschel Walker, but at least Walker has some legit martial arts in his backround. Whereas Batista just has being a bouncer and being a professional wrestler to his name, the stuff MMA fighters are not made of.

Now if he is dead serious about pursuing a career, his best bet is to seek a few fights in less known promotions, much like Bobby Lashley did see where he stands after a few fights against some cans. I'm sure someone can book him versus Jose Canseco somewhere. Maybe even give him a fight against Mariusz Pudzianowski. Or any other gimmick fighters that I can't think of. Still his biggest concern that he has to have is that if his body can endure the training and the fights. There is no selling the moves in MMA.

As far as I know, formal training aside, Dave grew up in DC which is no easy place to live. He may have been a gym head most of his career and a body builder, but let's not pretend that the only successful UFC/MMA fighters are the ones who had formal training from a young age – if I recall correctly Lesnar and Lashley didn't either, and both still went on to have good/great MMA careers.

If the instincts are there for him, the rest can be taught.

His biggest issue is his age. Being over 40 won't be easy.

As far as I know, formal training aside, Dave grew up in DC which is no easy place to live. He may have been a gym head most of his career and a body builder, but let's not pretend that the only successful UFC/MMA fighters are the ones who had formal training from a young age – if I recall correctly Lesnar and Lashley didn't either, and both still went on to have good/great MMA careers.

If the instincts are there for him, the rest can be taught.

His biggest issue is his age. Being over 40 won't be easy.

Were you grew up in has little to do with if you can fight in MMA. Yes growing up in DC might be rough, but just that is not a reason someone can fight in the Octagon along side guys who have trained in the different areas of MMA.

Secondly, Lesnar and Lashley great MMA careers? Hardly. I know Lesnar is the UFC Heavyweight Champ and to be honest, is probably one of the best due to his athleticism for his size, but has his career been great? No, good? Sure. As for Bobby Lashley, I wouldn't call his career good yet. The guy is consistently injured and has to back out of fights. Yes hes 5-0 but hes hardly beaten anyone worth while.

As well, there are major differences between Lesnar/Lashley and Bautista, for one, Lesnar and Lashley are both former Amateur Wrestlers, Bautistas a bouncer who managed to learn a few moves (not to say he wasn't good in the WWE, just saying).

You can't compare Bautista to Lesnar or Lashley..

If Batista goes the Jason David Frank route of going about it, then I'd gladly welcome him to MMA. I also wouldn't bitch if he went the Jose Canseco route (ala fighting in freak shows in Japan). However, if his plans are to do the whole Lesnar/Lashley thing, then no... please stay the fuck away, Batista. You might be a promising fighter, but there's no way you're on the same level as those two.

But anyways, I doubt we'll see him in MMA anytime soon. If he were really interested in joining the sport, then I think he would have shown Meltzer some more enthusiasm about it. I think right now he's just a fan of the sport, gradually teasing the idea of doing it himself every now and then, but that doesn't mean it will ever come to fruition. If it did though, and he did it the right way, then he would definitely have my support, even though I hated him as a professional wrestler.

Batista has the size, and somewhat of a martial arts background training (I've seen him doing some training video's, I don't know whether the things he performs should be considered a martial art, nonetheless he does have some kind of experience with it) and I think due to the fact that he has professional wrestling training could prove helpful if he chooses to go into MMA.

Batista is old, we get that, but Batista still has years in him, years that could very well garnish him a fanbase, and a good amount of time with the UFC.

Batista hasn't been anywhere the most loved guy, but his brutality and in-ring style could very well be transfered into MMA I believe, and could very well gather him the needed popularity to make it in the UFC, because I can't possibly imagine that popularity doesn't do something for your stance in the company.

I'd welcome Batista, as much as I don't really watch MMA, I do believe I would get more interested with MMA if he got into it.

I remember seeing footage of him training. Let's see if I can find that...

[YOUTUBE]cRTPeh6mgRY[/YOUTUBE]

This was posted back in 2009, but I'm not sure of when it was taken. So, I guess he's had some form of training, but I think it was more for an action movie star role than actual MMA. If he were to take MMA seriously, than I hope he will actually do a lot proper training before stepping into any bout. He has size and maybe srength, but without any actual skill he'll just be another Kimbo.

For the most part I think Batista is set on being a movie star. The main page is reporting that he was offered a deal from Strikeforce, but turned it down for an acting career. He's probably training for action movies anyway.

Holy fuck (per TMZ), Strikeforce signed him.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/06/21/dave-batista-wwe-mma-strikeforce-mixed-martial-arts/

He's a former six-time WWE heavyweight wrestling champion of the world -- but this weekend Batista finally confirmed that he's now fighting for real ... for an MMA company called Strikeforce.

The 6'5", 290 pound behemoth was out in Hollywood this weekend -- where he told our camera guy about the move ... and hinted that he already has his first fight lined up.

The 40-something-year-old recently left WWE after his contract expired ... and there had been rumors floating around that he wanted to get into Mixed Martial Arts fighting.

I like how Scott Coker came out and said he has no interest in Kimbo Slice... and yet he signs Batista to a contract. Chances are, it will be officially announced Saturday at the Fedor vs. Werdum card.

I think the hilarious possibilities are endless. Batista vs. Lashley, Batista vs. Herschel Walker for starters. They should sign Kimbo now and do Batista vs. Kimbo.

Fuck treating them like a legitimate company. They're on the fast track to being like EliteXC.

Herschel Walker and Bobby Lashley will beat Batista in a MMA fight. They actually had a MMA fight before. And even Kimbo would beat Batista too. But I would liked to see it. Put Batista in those 3 fights and see how he does. If hed even wins one of those fights I would bed very impressed. Maybe also put him in The Ultimate Fighter television show aswell.

Were you grew up in has little to do with if you can fight in MMA. Yes growing up in DC might be rough, but just that is not a reason someone can fight in the Octagon along side guys who have trained in the different areas of MMA.

Secondly, Lesnar and Lashley great MMA careers? Hardly. I know Lesnar is the UFC Heavyweight Champ and to be honest, is probably one of the best due to his athleticism for his size, but has his career been great? No, good? Sure. As for Bobby Lashley, I wouldn't call his career good yet. The guy is consistently injured and has to back out of fights. Yes hes 5-0 but hes hardly beaten anyone worth while.

As well, there are major differences between Lesnar/Lashley and Bautista, for one, Lesnar and Lashley are both former Amateur Wrestlers, Bautistas a bouncer who managed to learn a few moves (not to say he wasn't good in the WWE, just saying).

You can't compare Bautista to Lesnar or Lashley..

Hasn't beaten anybody worth value? Lashley beaten Bob Sapp who is a good MMA fighter.

No no no no no no no. what a terrible idea for not only Dave Batista, but also the sport of MMA. All that Dana White does to legitimize the sport, some ass hat like Coker comes along and puts together a freak show fight involving a quasi star like Conseco or in this case Batista. Yes there are instances of men beyond the years of what you'd expect from an mma fighter doing well, such as Randy Couture, Mark Colemen and to a lesser extent Matt Hughes and Rich Franklin at this point in their careers. but to think a 41 year old ex professional wrestler, who was at best a body builder and at worst a bouncer, can tangle with guys who've been involved in real athletic competition for the past several years is just bat shit crazy. I'd have doubts about Batista's age even if he hadn't had the injuries he's had in the past few years, but to add in torn triceps, a hamstring injury and i believe a couple others that required surgery, there is no way batista will be able to stay healthy enough to compete in the UFC, or even strikeforce.

Lashley beaten Bob Sapp who is a good MMA fighter.

No, Bob Sapp sucks, man. I like Sapp, I think he's a great entertainer, but he sucks as a MMArtist. Simple as that.

Anyways, what a terrible, mind-blowingly stupid move by Strikeforce. Like, I really have no clue what the fuck Coker could be thinking at this point.

I firmly believe that if you're the owner or CEO of a large entertainment company, your first priority should be to build for the future. Never settle for short-term goals, because they end up coming back and biting you in the ass in the long run. And that's exactly what's going to happen to Strikeforce now that they're making moves like this.

Will Batista draw for at least one fight? Sure, but what happens after that? What if you feed him a can and he gets his ass kicked? Then what? You're screwed (all it took was Kimbo losing one time to send EliteXC out of business).

As far as Batista... while earlier I said I wish he would go about this the "right way," I still can't blame him for this. I mean, if Strikeforce offers him a good deal and he believes in himself, then it's understandable why he would want to get World wide exposure from the get-go. Still though, it's another case where I think a smart person would have thought about the long term, rather than looking for instant success.

But yeah... I hate that Strikeforce did this. I want to support Strikeforce so bad. They have some of my absolute favorite fighters, but how can I fully support an MMA company who pulls shit like this? It's okay in Japan because they know it's all a freak show and just meant to make people laugh, whereas Strikeforce is trying to be a serious, legitimate Mixed Martial Arts promotion who competes against the UFC. How will they ever be taken seriously if they continue to make moves like they're currently doing? They won't, and before you know it, it'll be all over for them.

Batista did not even sign with Strikeforce yet it was just a rumor. But they still in talks though. I say let the guy try out and see what he can do. He might pull a Herschel Walker and surprise all of us. Besides it will be great entertainment to see David Bautista inside a MMA ring. I'm telling you man that will be hilarious, especially if he gets his ass handed to him aswell too.

And why did you disrespect Japan? They have great martial artists down there who are great athletes. I do not knows why people say its a freakshow? There fights are 10 minutes long a round, were our fights not even that long. Plus most of them can beat our good fighters down here. Its not to make people laugh, its to be a legit sport like ours here.

Comparing Herschel Walker to Dave Batista is just wrong. Walker trained in MMA for almost 3 years before taking his first professional fight, which he showed some pretty decent skills for someone that new to the sport. Batista has NO MMA training. For his time in Strikeforce to not be a total flop, they'd have to match him up with someone who doesn't take guys down, and just tries to stand up and bang for 15 minutes.

Honestly, that's the only shot he'd have to even compete in a fight. Put him against Lashley and he'll get taken down in the first round, and from there it'd be all over. A few months is just not nearly enough time to train jiu jitsu when you've never really done it before. Add that PLUS the fact that he has no real wrestling experience, and he's just getting way ahead of himself. Lashley and Lesnar were top notch amateur wrestlers. They trained for a while before getting a big shot in MMA. Lesnar has improved greatly since his first fight with Mir, and even more since his first MMA fight.

But if Strikeforce really did sign Batista and he goes out there in his first fight after huge hype and gets destroyed, then Strikeforce will see the end nearly as fast as EliteXC did after the Kimbo fight. Their best bet is to have Batista fight Walker or another "Name" that is new to MMA, and not some no name fighter.

Brock Lesnar good and all but he got a world title shot after only a few fights. And I'm not saying Batista will be good just that he might wanna considering training for awhiled before hed gets into this sport. I love it how everybody wants to do MMA now these days. And Batista does not have no real wrestling expierence he goes off that stuff in WWE which will get him destroyed in MMA.

This reminds me when The Big Show left WWE to pursue boxing. Wight trained for it but didn't even get one match that I've ever heard of. But when you got bills to pay you gotta go back to work, and Batista doesn't exacty come off as a guy who wisely saves his money. He'll be back once he realizes he can't fight.

No, Bob Sapp sucks, man. I like Sapp, I think he's a great entertainer, but he sucks as a MMArtist. Simple as that.

Anyways, what a terrible, mind-blowingly stupid move by Strikeforce. Like, I really have no clue what the fuck Coker could be thinking at this point.

I firmly believe that if you're the owner or CEO of a large entertainment company, your first priority should be to build for the future. Never settle for short-term goals, because they end up coming back and biting you in the ass in the long run. And that's exactly what's going to happen to Strikeforce now that they're making moves like this.

Will Batista draw for at least one fight? Sure, but what happens after that? What if you feed him a can and he gets his ass kicked? Then what? You're screwed (all it took was Kimbo losing one time to send EliteXC out of business).

As far as Batista... while earlier I said I wish he would go about this the "right way," I still can't blame him for this. I mean, if Strikeforce offers him a good deal and he believes in himself, then it's understandable why he would want to get World wide exposure from the get-go. Still though, it's another case where I think a smart person would have thought about the long term, rather than looking for instant success.

But yeah... I hate that Strikeforce did this. I want to support Strikeforce so bad. They have some of my absolute favorite fighters, but how can I fully support an MMA company who pulls shit like this? It's okay in Japan because they know it's all a freak show and just meant to make people laugh, whereas Strikeforce is trying to be a serious, legitimate Mixed Martial Arts promotion who competes against the UFC. How will they ever be taken seriously if they continue to make moves like they're currently doing? They won't, and before you know it, it'll be all over for them.

I'm glad you said that about Bob Sapp. I was going to comment if someone hadn't Sapp is a okay kickboxer he's an absolute fucking can in terms of MMA.

Coker is a complete idiot for offering Dave a fight,although, I've heard Coker say no such offer took place. But, then again, Dana signed James Toney so...I don't know...

That being said, now that Fedor has lost, Hendo lost, Caesar Gracie boys practically cost SF their CBS spot, and Shields is bouncing, I think that SF folds regardless of whether or not this signing is legit.

EDIT: Throw in Mousasi's loss if you really want to. He was being touted as the best possible free agents signing before Lawal embarrassed his ass.

I think this is a terrible idea........ But I sure as hell wanna see it! I've never liked Batista, not saying he isn't a good dude or anything, but something about him rubbed me the wrong way, and I always fucking hated his abyysmal wrestling. And hell, he could draw some viewers, get everybody all hyped up and excited, and then get his ass whipped. That sounds like some damn good TV to me.

I'm right there with you, Mr. Angel. Is this fight stupid and an embarrassment? Absolutely!! Do I want to watch this train wreck? You bet your fucking ass.

Well, while this comes off a huge joke, Batista is taking it very seriously it seems at least. He's training with the Cesar Gracie Camp, and if there's any camp on this Earth that can make a real fighter out of Batista, it's the Cesar Gracie Camp, with guys like Nick Diaz, Jake Shields, Gilbert Melendez, Nate Diaz, etc. (not to mention Gracie himself, lol) all there helping Batista in every aspect of the sport. Nick with boxing, Shields with wrestling, and Gracie with Jiu-Jitsu... what more can you ask for?

If Batista is truly dedicated and working his ass off, then man... there's a lot of potential of him coming in and beating some guys (no big names, but definitely some lower-tier fighters).

Honestly, JMT, that worries me more than anything. That camp is the LAST camp that should be teaching anyone ANYTHING at all. With Dave's already-well-documented bad temper, surrounding yourself with guys like the Diaz brothers and Melendez is the WORST thing. C. Gracie camp has great fighters, but they are all royal jackasses. There's not a person I've met in the MMA community that agrees with the way the Caesar Gracie boys handle themselves. What bothers me the most is that they are ALL that bad. Which tells you that there's a common thread making them all like that. Caesar Gracie is that common thread. It's understood that you're only as good as your instruction and these boys are getting bad instruction in the TRUEST sense of martial arts.

In the same sense though ITGG, Jake Shields comes from that camp and he's one of the classiest guys in the sport, so it's not like that's what they train those guys to act like. Also, Gilbert Melendez has always conducted himself in a classy way for the most part, outside of the Mayhem incident.

Moreover, I know for a fact in Nick's case, he does all that for show. He's not really this "gangster" type image he portrays himself as. Nate, meh.. there's an argument that can be made for him, but he's still not that bad of a person either.

The fact of the matter is, none of these guys are criminals. None of them fight dirty. They just put on a bad ass attitude leading up to the fight, but once the fight is over... they shake their opponent's hand and show them the respect they deserve. They're really not all that bad when you truly think about it.

Except for Diaz fighting in a hospital, but that can be overlooked. They are all still fantastic fighters, and are a pleasure to watch. Let's face it the Cesar Gracie school has some of the most talented fighters in the world that can help Batista become as well rounded as possible with the short time he has left in combat sports. I'm not surprised that Batista is taking this so seriously. I'm a huge fan of the guy, and have read his book. Hes a hard worker, and can make for some entertaining fights. He won't make nearly the impact Brock made, but i'm sure he can rack up a few wins against very low level competition with the time he has left. I believe it is a terrible decision by Coker signing him before he has had even one MMA fight, and it shows just how desperate he is to get his own huge money draw. Really a very poor business choice by him. Still should be interesting, and fun to see what comes out of this.

Don't forget about the time that the Diaz brothers started a post fight brawl after KJ Noons beat Yves Edwards. That brings the Diaz brothers' post-fight brawls to a grand total of three. Being involved in A post fight brawl is unacceptable, let alone being involved in three post-fight brawls shows a lack of control.

I guess what I am getting at is this...anyone who's been trained in martial arts is aware of the control, dignity, and humility your sensei teaches you. Martial arts is ABOUT discipline and OBVIOUSLY Cesar Gracie is not teaching that discipline. Most instructors would throw a student out that acted like that on multiple occasions.

"My biggest problem with what happened is that it distracted from the fights. (We) just saw two of my very best guys have masterful performances – tactically, physically and everything – and people are talking about the post-fight fight that should have never happened.”

“I told them that this distracts from the real fights. It doesn’t help anybody. Nobody’s getting paid for fighting after the fight. It makes crybabies come out there and talk about it more, and then we have to do interviews talking about crybabies.”

“How would it be damaging? If you’re a sports fan, you’re used to seeing fights all the time. It’s really, seriously, a bunch of *****es latching on to this and trying to make it a bigger deal than it is. Is it a good thing? It’s not a good thing. We’re sorry. Everybody involved has apologized.”

“But you’ve got a lot of crybabies that are going to latch on to this to the bitter end, but they’re not going to say anything when a hockey game has fights every night. Young sport, old sport – people are making a much bigger deal than this. It’s hype; it’s all hype.”

This was Cesar's response to people. A half-assed and completely insulting apology. Of course we aren't going to say anything about a hockey match having multiple fights, it's not the same thing. They aren't TRAINED professionals showing a lack of discipline. If members of YOUR camp hadn't done this TWICE before, they probably wouldn't be complaining as loud, Cesar. You're a repeat offender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back