Herschel Walker Signs with Strikeforce

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
New York Times said:
Herschel Walker Signs On With Mixed Martial Arts
By Ray Krueger

Herschel Walker has had many roles in his life, from dominant college football player to author of a book about his mental health problems.

Along the way there was a stint as one of the faces of the United States Football League and a decade-long career in the N.F.L. He also competed in the 1992 Olympics in the bobsled.

At age 47, he is taking on a new challenge: mixed martial arts.

Walker has signed a multifight contract with Strikeforce, an MMA organization that is trying to challenge the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Walker, who is not the first former N.F.L. player to try to start a career in the cage, has been seen in the crowds at high-profile mixed martial arts events recently. He has trained in various martial arts going back to his college days. Despite his age, this is not seen as a publicity stunt. His background in the sport is more solid than Jose Canseco’s. Canseco had a few celebrity boxing matches before attempting a high-profile MMA bout in Japan.

Strikeforce, which has a deal to televise some of its fights on CBS, recently beat out the UFC and signed Fedor Emelianenko to a contract. Emelianenko is widely believed to be the best heavyweight MMA fighter in the world. Walker, who is a year older than the UFC star Randy Couture, will also compete at heavyweight.

Wow. This is one bizarre headline. I really don't know if this is a good idea for Herschel, or for Strikeforce. Well, actually it probably won't hurt Strikeforce; I'm sure Herschel will draw in some new fans. But I don't know if expecting a middle aged man to perform in the world of MMA is a reasonable expectation for Herschel to put on himself.

Either way, this will certainly be interesting to watch. Thoughts?

You know, I read about this earlier and just shook my head.

I like Herschel Walker, both as a person and an athlete, which is why I don't want to see him get his ass beat for nothing except for cheap publicity for Strikeforce. I really believed Strikeforce was above this sort of thing and wouldn't scoop to levels like this to gain some attention, but I was wrong. This is really pathetic. At the very least they could have made Herschel fight on some small shows before putting him on their program. Jesus.... it blows my mind.

But oh well. I guess a part of me hopes he does somewhat okay, but I'm not expecting much. It's just an embarrassment, really, and I'm highly disappointed in Strikeforce for pulling this stunt.

Dont see how they sign him over someone like Lashley, he would draw more people with his wrestling back round at least Lashley has some exp. and more likely would have a bigger impact for Strikeforce! They will have to find Herschel the most dented tomato can of tomato cans for his first couple of fights! 47 is just to old to get started as a professional, course there are people his age still going, but they also been fighting for years. If he feels some flame under his ass to do something and is in this good shape to compete in mma why not just try out for the UFL outcome probably would be better for him!
Maybe Strikeforce can sign Canseco to fight him, it would be the tomato can I mentioned and probably draw a decent amount of people to watch.

This seems rather stupid to me. He hasn't ever really had any sort of MMA career, has he? Last I saw him he was on Celebrity Apprentice flirting with Joan Rivers. How can he expect to compete with some of the best in the world you are 20 to 25 years younger than him? He can't, that's the answer.

I guess Strikeforce will gain some attention from this, but what's going to come of it? He isn't going to win any fights, so no one will care. The UFC would never do anything like this, this makes Strikeforce seem like a joke. I hope they go under after pulling something like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back