• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Basketball isn't a sport...

its-true-smile-black-demotivational.jpg

Since when does the amount of physical punishment you can take contribute to whether or not something is a sport?

I completely agree, but I still cannot resist making this point....

Do 300lbs men toss their opponents on their heads? Rugby players hit harder.

Women wear pads, not men. Thus proving the point that American Football is for *****es.

LOL. PLEASE show me any rugby hits as hard as these:

[YOUTUBE]0Vmc4RhCETw[/YOUTUBE]

Pads or not, those are devastating.

I played football in high school. I've also played tackle, no pads street football. Trust me, the football is high school was MUCH scarier than the football on the streets, even if I had pads on. Why? Because in high school I was lining up against fucking monsters a lot of the time, whereas on the streets I'm going after regular sized guys, which I'm sure are still bigger than the fucking best rugby players in the World. So, please man, cut those bullshit about American football, because you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Rugby guys would get literally KILLED in the NFL.

Also, those pictures you showed... yeah, I've seen basketball players land the exact same way... except it was on the hardwood floor. What's your point there?

So because you've played one sport and a variation of the other means you are an expert? Alright, I'll bite.

I've played both sports with the full rules in place. I can tell you from experience that Rugby compared to American football is much harder. The amount of time it takes to set up all these plays allows you to take a breather for a couple of seconds so you can perform well in the play. I used to go against some of the biggest dudes and hold my own against them. Sure, you get hurt and tackled with padding on, but you do get a stamina recharge.

Rugby, however, is more of a consistent game. You have to run pretty much all game and the only time for stoppages are for injuries or third referee's decision. Otherwise, you make the play there and then to keep on keeping on. The endurance you have for this game is much higher than American Football... running and tackling all the time.

I've played both and I've fucked myself over in Rugby. American Football hurt and was tiring, but nothing compared to what I did in Rugby.

I do remember hearing of a story, however, that involved the American Footballers and the Rugby players training with each other. If I can find it, I'll post it.

So American football is less of a sport than rugby because we get to rest more during a game? I guess baseball is just a hobby then.

In this particular aspect, yes. It's absurd, isn't it, by me saying this? It's also absurd to say that basketball isn't a sport neither for the reasons stated by the OP. Every sport is considered a sport for a reason. Look, here's the definition:

Wikipedia said:
A sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive, and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play.

I could be correct by saying the NFL is less physical than the NRL as they get more resting time. The same can be said by the types of legal tackles allowed in the NFL compared to the NRL.

Games such as Curling and Basketball can be defined as sports, whereas Poker cannot. There isn't any physical activity involved... unless you call sitting on your arse until it goes numb, blue and black and then some endurance of physical strength.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive, and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play.

Under that definition, baseball is a sport. But compared to activities like rugby and football, it sure is at a different level. In baseball, it's possible to play a game in which you exert no physical effort until you have to bat. (see: Ramirez, Manny) Even then, you can watch pitches go by without taking the bat off your shoulder and exert no effort at all. Some players get more exercise jogging to and from their positions at the start (and end) of a half-inning than they do from the requirements of playing their position. (Pitchers and catchers are an exception to this, of course.)

It gets to me when players have to take games off because they're exhausted. Seems to me that exhaustion would come more from the travel than the game itself.

And look at guys who are built like Prince Fielder and David Ortiz. Let them try to play basketball, soccer, rugby or football. Those are real sports......compared to beisbol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back