Barrett and Regal: The True British Invasion

Wolfdemon

The Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla
So I was reading the FCW results and there is speculation that Regal and Barrett could be tagging up soon. I myself think that this is a fantastic idea. Wade has the best mic skills out of anyone on NXT and now that Danielson is gone he has the best chances of winning. He could possibly use his title shot to get him and Regal a title shot. So what does everyone else think about the tag team of Wade Barrett and William Regal?

Absolutely not. Barrett is far too advanced to need this, and I think it would take away from his character. Doing something like this should be a "sum of parts" type idea, not with someone who so clearly stands out from the pack. He needs to go out high, he easily could be an upper mid carder at the conclusion of NXT. He looked absolutely like he belonged with Cena during their match a few weeks back. This would be a regression for him, and I would hate to see it.

Mixing Wade Barrett and William Regal would actually be a loss for Wade if you ask me, he wouldn't earn anything from it, and I think his association with Chris Jericho is doing, will do and has done way more for Wade Barrett than we could possibly imagine William Regal doing.

I think Wade shouldn't be mixed into a tag team for a very very long time, he needs to be build as a singles wrestler, get a great singles career, and ultimately go to become a main eventer or a world champion before even consider making him anything near a tag team wrestler if you ask me.

Wade is build to be a singles wrestler, that's all I can say.

I've noticed a lot recently a lot recently WWE has been teaming a lot of people. This I can say is a good thing, they are trying 2 new people with each other...and it's up to us to decide whether they can make it as a team...well it also depends on the connection...for barret, this could really be a break for him, not only teaming with regal, but it means being around a legend(yes, i called regal a legend, he has accomplished a lot, you could also call him a veteran), but he maybe on the road with him aswell..the more he can connect with regal, it can make him a bright young star...

Now obviously, they wouldn't be called british invasion, but they would be more believable as the british invasion.

In my opinion using Wade and Regal as a tag team would be a waste of Wades and even Regals talents, i am one of the people that believe that Regal has been wasted talent whether its in the ring or on the mic, remember his run as raw gm, that was brilliant he was one of the most hated heels in the wwe. back to topic though, i think that maybe if wwe arent going to do anything with Regal in ring wise then he could b used as Barretts manager. They both recieve a good heel reaction and together i think they would mesh well together, and playing on the fact that thier both english. I am lookin forward to seeing how Wade will play out in the wwe as he is my favourite to win the NXT competition

While I wouldn't be opposed to Wade going into the tag division after NXT, Regal isnt the right person to be his partner. The reason for this is simple, Wade's a star on the rise and Regal's a technically excelent jobber. Regal, for all of his greatness would simply hold Barrett back, which is bad when he's one of the guys who'll be one of the guys carrying the company in a few years.

Barrett also doesn't need Regal. The last long term team Regal was in was the Round table; which was two guys who weren't outstanding on the ring or on the mic and Regal got the better of the two over. Barrett is just as good, if not better on the mic than Regal and more than competant in the ring. Barrett's got the size, skill and skill to be a great singles guy. He needen't waste his time in a tag team with Regal.

I mentioned in the first paragraph that I wouldn't be opposed to him being in a tag team once he's done with NXT. Which is true, because being in a tag team could potentially get him into the main event quicker than as a singles star. This is because as a tag teamer he could appear on both shows and with his tag team partner be the douschebag heels who interrupt the main eventers mid promo and tell them to bugger off because the future of the WWE is here to take your spot(s) leading to throw away matches between face MEers 1 & 2 vs the tag champs. It'd also allow them to use strength in numbers to beat down aforementioned MEers back stage to build programmes between them, and/or lead to singles matches down the road when it's time to end the team.

I cant believe how many times people will constantly just ask or say it would be a good idea to put two guys together because they are from the same country. This question but it has been done sooooooo many times. Maybe not for these particular people but always when people not from america or canada come people always say it would be great if they teamed up. I recall when Sheamus first came about a few people said Finlay should be his manager and someone asked should Roddy Piper(billed from Scotland) should come and manage Drew McIntyre. When will it end ??

As much as I love Regal, this isn't the best idea for Barrett. Wade is, in my opinion, the most solid rookie to come out of NXT. He has the look, the character and the ring work to be something. Out of the rookies, he's pretty easily the most complete package. Of course he lacks the things that can only come with experience, but time will tell how he adds up. Teaming him with Regal is very pointless. He's coming out of NXT, where the whole point of the show is pairing rookies with veterans. If they were to tag together it would be NXT part two for Barrett. We've seen what he can do with an experienced vet like Jericho, there's no need to put him with a far less relevant veteram in Regal.

The only way to see if Barrett is worth keeping him around is letting him swim or sink on his own. Either he can pull off a believable singles star or he can't. There's only one way to tell and putting him in a tag team isn't going to help the matter. Regal isn't going to elevate anyone. Not as a partner at least. Barret's character screams solo wrestler to me and it would thrive much better by itself.

I think Regal as manager works... I can see a play off of the "King Of The Ring" angle with Regal naming Barrett his "successor"....

if this is one of those things where regal is mentoring barret, i dont like it. but if its a normal team i think they could get some serious heat from the crowd. i dont think barret would choose to go after tag titles if he won nxt. the whole point of winning nxt is becoming the next wwe superstar and getting a title match of their choice at a ppv. i think barret is smarter than to go after one of the really good and expirenced champs. say like when santino won the ic title. i would face him because you would obviously win

I agree with others, I don't think Barrett needs it. He's the rookie most ready to come in and contribute right away. Now, if it was as a manager, maybe, but even then Barrett really doesn't need it. Regal would probably work better with his rookie Skip Sheffield, because Sheffield is not nearly as far along as Barrett.

Sorry for no reply till now as I was gone for most of the day. Yes I think that the idea of Regal being more of a coach or a mentor is a great idea as well. Regal is damn good in the ring and if worked right them two together could be great even if he is just a coach. Hell they could even feud and it could be good. No I don't just think this is a good idea because they are from the same country but one is a mentor and one is a future star. Think of it as Batista with Flair several years back.

i think they would work better as a stable, if they got another team to join them or get a different partner for regal. i wish burchill was still around because if him and regal were a team and had barett as u.s. champ, that would be a good group. maybe regal and danielson can team up with barett a mid carder?

Regal is hardly a wrestler anymore, how can he be in a tag team with one of the biggest up and comers of the business. Although he wont tag up with him, he may become a manager for he, he should just accompany him to the ring and follow him backstage.
But it would be quite horrible if they tagged Barret with Regal, it would kill him before he is even born

you're all assuming that these two tagging together would be a bad thing for both of them, but actually they're both pretty good at what they do, was it a bad thing for batista to tag with ric flair during their evolution run? no i dont think so, sure regal might be no ric flair but the guy has a lot to teach a younger guy like barrett and there's no reason that those two wouldn't be able to take it to the Miz and Jericho if not beat them straight up. I mean you think about it and the two teams are pretty well matched with the underhanded tactics and veteran skills of jericho and regal matched with the size and strength of Barrett and then the...well....mouth? of the Miz. Anyway, point is, i think these two as a tag team could have a huge impact on the tag team division.

you're all assuming that these two tagging together would be a bad thing for both of them, but actually they're both pretty good at what they do,

Yes they are. However, Barrett niether needs nor benefits from delaying a singles push in favor or teaming with William Regal.

was it a bad thing for batista to tag with ric flair during their evolution run?

No. But then, Batista wasn't ready for an upper midcard/main event singles push. Him being a part of evolution got him over to the point where he was. He benefited from Evolution. Barrett wont gain anytihng from teaming with Regal.

no i dont think so, sure regal might be no ric flair but the guy has a lot to teach a younger guy like barrett

Batista teaming with Flair was less about teaching him how to wrestle, and more about getting him over. Which is sometihng Barrett doesn't need help with. Because he's got the charisma and ability to get there himself.

and there's no reason that those two wouldn't be able to take it to the Miz and Jericho if not beat them straight up.

Very true. However there's no reason to do so. Barrett's got a 'buisness relationship' with Jericho, and it'd bee heel vs heel. Not to mention that Barrett gains nothing from the association.

I mean you think about it and the two teams are pretty well matched with the underhanded tactics and veteran skills of jericho and regal matched with the size and strength of Barrett and then the...well....mouth? of the Miz.

And the alliance benefits Barrett how? He doesn't need to learn the art of how to deliver the worlds stiffest suplexes, and shouting at the opponent. What Regal can teach is stuff Barrett doesn't need to know.

Anyway, point is, i think these two as a tag team could have a huge impact on the tag team division.

Yes, they could have an impact in the tag team division. the same one that barely exists and would benefit Barrett significantly less than pushing him in the singles division.

Just a thought... what about Regal and Bryan?
Bryan does have the same attyre Regal worn some time ago (homage to Regal, maybe?)... There's a mutual respect between thw two outside the ring... they have similar styles... thoughts?

Nope, please for the love of god no more generic British snob heel groups.

It's ridiculous that any English wrestler, no matter the charisma, personality, no matter the wrestling ability is immediately forced into playing this role.. Regal, from everything I read, is hilarious and really lightly humored.. instead he's forced into playing the snob British character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back