• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Average Rating per Raw Champion

What did SNME used to do back in the day? I'll guess around a 10.0 or something to that extent. You can't compare the #'s that Hogan drew back in the day to anything in the 90's. He did that stuff on Network TV, when SNME is lucky to sniff a 3.0 nowadays. I know Network Ratings are different then Cable Ratings.

So we get into the monday night wars with both drawing a combined 5.0 between the two, and a relatively split fan base. Where did that 5.0 go? They grew up and wrestling wasn't cool anymore. Hell I was one of those guys. I had enough with it around WM 11, and honestly looking back, who the hell could blame anyone for leaving the business. You had in that time frame, WCW bringing in all the old WCW wrestlers, a bunch of Clowns and gimmicks on WWE, it wasn't entertaining.

Kasey touched on something with how hot the Raw Crowds were in 97. I know I didn't watch Raw in 96. I came back when Hall showed up on Nitro and I was hooked. Survivor Series 96 brought me back to the WWE, as I could see WCW was all Hogan all the time. The cruiserweights were amazing, but other then that, I found it entertaining, but hardly the product the WWE was.

I believe, and it comes true today, that the 2.5 of a decade ago, is the 3.0 of this decade. The only people that are watching are the completly insane loyal fan boys. Anything above that #, you're starting to reach into the casual fan. Those #'s in 97 were low for WWE, but it was a good low. The only people in the crowd were the White Hot fans that absolutly bought into the Canada/USA angle, and they hated WCW.

As we all know the Attitude Era/Goldberg Era brought that huge swell of fans back. Hell there were some nights if you combined the two shows, they got near a 12.0, that's insanse. The Monday Night War brought back a majority of those grown up 80's kids, and exposed it to todays teenagers that now hate Cena. But as we all know, the bubble burst, and we're back down to the mid 3's again.

I'm with Shadowmancer though, you just get that feeling, once the Cena Era is over, we are on our way to a re-birth of wrestling. Wrestling goes in cycles of being very hot to very lame in the public eye. We are in that down cycle, as much as Stephanie McMahon and her "We are Pop-Culture" campaign want to deny it. But if you believe in the numbers and patterns of pro wrestling, WM 25ish will see a boom in the business again.

It is not just In the US and Canada that there is going to be a boom coming, Im seeing the start of a resurgence in the popularity of Wrestling in General in New Zealand. This is with A new promotion on TV and another one coming as well, this is capitalising on the WWE's two tours here, But I think you will start to see a slow build up in numbers for ratings at the tail end of this year, but it will be averaging a 4.1-4.8 I think by the end of the Year, next year I see another increase to maybe a 5.0 by Wrestlemania, then youll start seeing a true upswing.

I doubt it...in an age of Youtube and so many choices of television,what makes wrestling so special that we MUST watch it? Most casual fans will just go to wwe.com or youtube to catch up on what they missed because they were watching something else.

Plus,ratings don't mean shit unless people are buying the ppv's,so we should really be discussing the rate of ppv buys to ratings,not just ratings.

I'd have to disagree there Legendkiller, TV ratings mean a whole hell of a lot to any product. The PPV rates are of course big too, but they don't really say anything about the state of the business, just about the quality and anticipation for the PPV and how well it was built up. I can't even imagine how many people ordered Fully Loaded 1999 when they had the amazing buildup to the conclusion of the McMahon-Austin feud and the Austin-Undertaker first blood match.

Cause trust me, without good ratings, WWE is just another TV show that can be cancelled at any time. There's no guarantee for it to air, like their is for football and baseball and other sports. Besides, the ratings in this thread are very important because they show the breakdown of what champions were the most popular or had the most people watching, and how the WCW-WWF war went along.

I agree Xfear ratings mean so much. I hope this isnt getting off topic but look at ECW when it was going head to head with MTV's Wrestling Society X. McMahon made sure he put on better product with ECW so he could crush WSX in the ratings. Then he did as WSX could not hold its own in the ratings and was cancelled. Ratings play such a role in wrestling.

Ratings mean a helluva lot actually. The higher the Ratings, the more you charge ad revenue. You gotta sell air time and commercial time, and when you have a 6.0 like they used to, all sorts of companies were spending top dollar to get that commercial times. Now at a 3.5 average, WWE can't charge the same amount they used to. This is were a lot of the WWE's money comes in, advertisments. No one is going to sponsor a show that doesn't sell. WWE stilld oes pretty well with ad revenue, they are still a top rated TV show.

I'll find the link to the actual fiscal breakdown of the WWE, but the ppv buyrates are some crazy # like 20% of their total income. You boycott ppv's (cough) that's where you make a huge statement.

Ratings are very important. I think Vince is trying to make another Hogan in Cena to push ratings.. Hogan brought in 10 and 15 then was around to bring in high 5's. He is hoping to get Cena in that loop I think

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back