Who Wins This Match?

• Mick Foley

• Edge

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a third round match in the Austin Region and it is a Regular match. It will be held at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas

021_toyota_center.jpg

Rules: This is a standard one on one match and can be won by pinfall, submission, countout or disqualification.

Mick-Foley.jpg

#3. Mick Foley

VS.

edge-wwe.jpg

#6. Edge

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Ladies and gentlemen, we've seen this movie before and Edge won. In Foley's element no less.

Not taking anything away from Foley. He's one of the most over of the Attitude Era stars and he's charismatic as hell and for a year or two he put some asses in seats, but Edge's career is just a bit better than Mick's. Edge had more titles, more big win, and spent longer on top. Edge was good in the ring and on the mic too. Also, did I mention that he beat Foley in Foley's own element?

Vote Edge.

Ladies and gentlemen, we've seen this movie before and Edge won. In Foley's element no less.

Not taking anything away from Foley. He's one of the most over of the Attitude Era stars and he's charismatic as hell and for a year or two he put some asses in seats, but Edge's career is just a bit better than Mick's. Edge had more titles, more big win, and spent longer on top. Edge was good in the ring and on the mic too. Also, did I mention that he beat Foley in Foley's own element?

Vote Edge.

I would argue that he beat an over the hill Foley, but you are right, Edge did beat Foley in a hardcore environment, so that counts for a lot. In a regular match where Edge couldn't get away with most of his dirty tricks, I'd say the favor swings back toward Foley a bit, but I still think Edge would take this.

Mick Foley will always be remembered by hardcore and casual fan alike. He had a crossover appeal that no one in the WWF/E has had not named Steve, Dwayne, or Terry.

I know it's not the best to use anecdotal evidence, but I have four nephews aged 3-7 who are all massive fans...they know about Foley...they don't know Edge. (They know Mankind, same difference).

Foley's title reigns might have not have been super memorable (although they're probably more memorable than Edge's 93 paper reigns) but his feuds over the title were some of WWE's most lucrative moments. I'm also not sure how many title runs Edge would have had if there weren't 2(3 if you count the shitty ECW title) titles in the promotion at the time.

Mick Foley has beaten The Rock, The Undertaker, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and HHH all legitimately.

This being a regular match doesn't help Foley too much, but if he can beat The Rock in one at a pay per view NAMED AFTER THE ROCK straight up, I think he can take Edge who was a way tamer heel in terms of cheating than that version of Rocky.

I know it's not the best to use anecdotal evidence, but I have four nephews aged 3-7 who are all massive fans...they know about Foley...they don't know Edge. (They know Mankind, same difference).

A 7 year old would have been 2 when Edge retired and Mankind stopped being a thing in the year 2000, 16 years ago, so I would argue that any awareness they have of either is influenced by someone choosing to show them which doesn't really support your point.

Look, Foley was great, but his primary function was to be the main eventer that made everyone look good. Yes, I know he beat most of the big stars of his day, but he lost to all of them a lot more often. Edge constantly found ways of beating big names in a way that was heart breaking for their fans and I think ultimately there is no wrestler who invokes heartbreak more often than Mick Foley.

Foley would lose this match, but would make Edge look golden in the process.

Mick Foley was a great foil for other wrestlers to beat on. Taker, Rock, Triple H, etc came out looking like kings when their sagas were done. Even Edge looked like a complete beast going over the veteran at Wrestlemania 22. There's no better guy I can think of to lose in spectacular fashion. He's incredible foil.

Edge would take that foil and become The Man at the end of the night. I can't see Foley and his many faces winning against the guy whose strategy was to steal the victory from the fan favorites. Edge did this even if he wasn't in the match himself. That's how much dude was into fucking up the fun for the rest of us.

I'm fully behind Foley winning here. No matter how many times I let this match play out in my head, he grabs Mr. Socko and shoves it down Edge's gullet, forcing him to either tap to get the sock out of his mouth, or taps out due to the legit pain that move causes. Foley in his prime can take anything Edge can dish out, and win despite whatever antics Edge comes up with.

Im choosing to look at Cactus Jack as the one fighting Edge here, just because of how the match would probably go. He dishes out the punishment like a madman, but Edge can take it. He has been in some serious battles himself & always seemed to pull out a win. Even before his Ultimate Opportunist persona, he showed he can get the job done against some hardcore daredevils in their own right.

Foley takes one too many risks & it ends up costing him. Edge wins this one.

As others have said, Foley usually lost the big matches and put over the mega heel in spectacular fashion.

As this is a regular match, I think that plays into Edge's hands even more. Mick may be one of the most beloved superstars of all time, but this is exactly the sort of match Edge would steal a win in, as he did so many times before.

After managing to reach the ropes during a Mandible Claw attempt from Foley, Edge hits an Edgecution on the outside, rolls Mick back inside and then lines up a Spear for the 1-2-3.

Winner: Edge

This match I think is the toughest match this round in the Austin region. In a hardcore environment I think Edge is a heavier favorite, despite Foley's hardcore prowess, Edge is opportunistic and has proven in his career that he will do ANYTHING to win a match, even spear an opponent through a flaming table or spear an opponent 15 feet in the air.

But this is a regular match. No weapons allowed. I think that actually HELPS Mick Foley in the long run. Less major damage that Edge could inflict on him. We've seen Foley win some tough matches that were not no dq, and I think his veteran presence helps him in this match.

BUT, Edge will find a way to win. He will use any opportunity to gain the advantage. If the ref is knocked down, he'll find something to disable Foley before hitting a match ending Spear.

I'd vote Edge, but it's VERY close to me.

I think we are in consensus here. As great as Foley was, he was a foil for the top heel or top face. Edge was burdened with SD for god knows how long and he did well, and developed a very organically hated persona.

Sleeping with your friend's girl helps too.

Vote Edge.

When I think of both wrestlers prime and trying to think who would win this standard match I keep coming back to one point.

Summerslam 1999. Mick Foley pinned Stone Cold Steve Austin in his prime, in the middle of the ring. Nobody else did that. Austin only lost when the odds were impossible, except when Mick Foley pinned him in the middle of the ring in a fair match.

Edge only got the upper hand on the top dog thanks to copious amount of cheating and underhanded tactics.

Foley won't get beat by that. He goes over Edge here.

I'm going with Edge in this one for the simple reason that Edge was a far superior wrestler than Mick Foley. Mick thrived in matches where he had massive spots to perform, or a hardcore element to it. This match is a regular match that does not tolerate hardcore elements and for that reason, Edge would use his far superior technical wrestling to run circles around the hardcore legend.

I like Foley but Edge would win this.

Yupp Edge is already winning damn easily.

But I voted for Mick Foley. Mick is a hardcore legend and is one of the greatest of all. Edge is a good wrestling veteran too but I reckon that Mick is much better than him.

The variations in gimmicks of Mick also shows thwt how he can make a gimmick interesting on his own.

So Foley for me.

It's a bit of intricate choice to pick between Mick Foley and Edge. But I'm going with Egde, arguably the best heel of the Ruthless Aggression Era. Not to say the least, he is 12 Time World champion and one of the greatest heels of all time. But when you look at his run as fan favourite, it's quite debatable. Considering the overall factors, the Ultimate Opportunist wins here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back