• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anybody else sick of Mark Madden dissing TNA?

WhyTravisFelt

Pre-Show Stalwart
I'm putting this in the TNA thread, because, well, does Mark Madden have anything better to do than to sit at his computer for a half an hour every week or so and make fun of TNA?

The sad thing is that I really enjoyed Madden's commentary in WCW. If Cole is a poorman's JR, Madden was like a poor man's Joel Gertner. And it worked. But, come on, how much of his "editorial opinion" can you really get through anymore?

It's taken me reading at least ten of his posts, but I'm officially sick of Mark Madden, and will not, from here on out read anything he has to write and I think any wrestling fan should start exercising this option.

He always prefaces with something about not caring about professional wrestling or what wrestling fans think of him, says none of it matters because he has his sweet radio job, and then goes into an exorbitant fashion of lambasting whatever it is that TNA happens to be doing at the time. If he doesn't care about wrestling and doesn't need to talk about it (on account of his sweet radio job), why does always seem to have to talk about the SAME EXACT THING once a week?

And he almost seems to brag about TNA's troubles like he has something to do with it, laughs about their 1.0 rating (a million homes, by the way) as if he himself went about adjusting people's television sets, and remarks self-indulgently as to why they'll never be as good as the WWE. The nicest way to say it is that Mark Madden is kind of like a Hyena enjoying a lion's kill. But since TNA is still alive that isn't quite appropriate. A more appropriate way to look at it is as a bully's smart-ass friend who heckles the nerd while Vinnie-Mac gets his kicks in. But Vinnie kicks TNA's ass about as much as Charlie Brown does footballs. No, the MOST appropriate way to look at Mark Madden is as a guy who honestly has nothing better to do than to find faults in an underdog wrestling promotion and gloat about their failures as if it is some mark of respect for himself, like he was the great soothsayer that said "David couldn't beat Goliath if he had three swings."

I guess what I mean to say more than anything, does Madden, beyond all the pomp and circumstance of himself, beyond the dogging of already dogged ratings and promotional aspects, have any ability at all to discern between a great wrestling match like a non-title Anderson-Hardy at Sacrifice and a ho-hum Cena-Batista color-by-numbers Title match at Over the Limit? Does he have any clue about the difference between actual good wrestling versus bad wrestling? Or is he all about the product and profit over good matches with stagnant profit margins? And should we really care about the point of view of someone who so honestly could give a rat's backside about an actual quality wrestling endeavor?

If he's got you reading his articles he's doing something right..

I guess to answer your question no. Not sick of Madden at all. In fact all he's essentially doing is telling TNA what he thinks of them and pointing out the obvious. That being their product is a joke. As of late TNA has improved but they clearly aren't ready to be a big time player in "The Monday Night Wars II"...If that was TNA's BEST effort to be a competitor with the WWE...well First round KO goes to WWE.

TNA had the underdog role and they HAD a lot of buzz and attention going into the new year..My how the "mighty" have fallen...back to Thursday nights. TNA could have done SO much more to captivate the audience. Instead we got a whole stage full of former WWE stars (minus a few) doing exactly what they did in WWE...

Dude I hate to say it but you sound like a TNA mark. TNA was around for a while. They sucked before, they suck still, they'll always suck until they decide to stop using OLD storylines, OLD beaten up wrestlers. Hell Hogan had back surgery and I bet he gets involved in the title faster than Brooke takes her top off the the cameras. What's next for TNA... they tried to hold a battle with WWE...and failed miserably. So they head back to the date and time of WWE's former B show. That says a lot, when they honestly can't even keep up with WWE's "B" show. If they showed WWE House Shows everyday I bet WWE could attract more attention.
Didn't the WWE Diva's segment draw higher ratings than the entire TNA show? Yeah... that says a lot...

Mark Madden is the single reason I visit this website. I enjoy reading HIS opinions as he has an actual insight into a business I enjoy and follow. From what I understand he just wants TNA to be a lot better as do we all.

He is the most pathetic loser to ever be involved with wrestling. He provides nothing but a point of bias and often backs up his supposed "facts" with lame attempts at jokes or downright insults towards TNA. I don't think I've seen him write an editorial that didn't have at least a paragraph or two bashing TNA. Not one piece of his so called writing is worth reading. I personally say that wrestlezone should from this moment on cease posting his editorials on the site. Not only does it tarnish the reputation of this otherwise good site it also tarnishes the name of the sport in general that an idiot like him can be even considered an "expert" on the subject.

Long story short: Madden sucks get his fat ass off this site now if wrestlezone wants to maintain any semblance of a good reputation as a site providing good info and news on the wrestling world.

Hey, long time lurker, new user here.

I have to agree with the topic title in that I have also become slightly sick of reading Mark's column. Take his most recent post titled 'surprise!!!' as an example; which you can find on the front page. While the topic seems enticing, with good points and great observation there is however a complete lack of unbiased opinion (for reasons unknown) and is far too heavily scrutinising TNA.

He states how TNA have relied too heavily on surprise over the last few months, but I’d argue that both WWE and TNA rely too heavily on surprise, maybe even more so in the case of WWE.

• Start the year off- surprise Edge returns to win RR.
  • Every single RAW has a ‘surprise!!’ Sheamus attack on someone.
  • The guest hosts constantly make ‘Surprise!!!’ match ups with not much reasoning other than heel/face mix up or a needed title match.
  • We had two new heavyweight champs going into Wrestlemania from the previous ppv.
  • Swagger wins the MitB.
  • Undertaker making numerous appearances on the (Surprise!!!) wrong show.

All these things have happened in the same described time span, plus many more, little contributing to an episodic structure.

As Mark says “Surprise has ruined the wrestling business. Surprise has become the go-to device of the lazy booker. Surprise…just isn’t surprising.”

There for it would be great if Mark looks at Surprise as a whole in the present day wrestling business, rather than comparing today’s TNA to a WWE, WCW and ECW of the past; Which isn’t their competition!!

Perhaps trashing TNA has become the go-to device of the lazy columnist.

I am definitely not tired of Mark Madden, he's fantastic! Is he critical? Yeah, but that's what makes him great. Is he biased? Sure, but that doesn't make him wrong or anything he says less valid. Everyone has a "bias", unless you're a robot or a fool. Besides, its an editorial, folks. You're supposed to insert you're own ideas into that kind of an article. Who wants to read an editorial that sounds like a corporate PR statement? You can go to the company's website and read that nonsense. I don't always agree with everything he says and I don't think that's a problem because I don't need to have my opinion regurgitated back to me. Is it really a secret that TNA's product is subpar? I'm not a TNA hater, but they would be doing themselves a favor by taking some of his criticisms seriously.

I guess to answer your question no. Not sick of Madden at all. In fact all he's essentially doing is telling TNA what he thinks of them and pointing out the obvious. That being their product is a joke. As of late TNA has improved but they clearly aren't ready to be a big time player in "The Monday Night Wars II"...If that was TNA's BEST effort to be a competitor with the WWE...well First round KO goes to WWE.

TNA had the underdog role and they HAD a lot of buzz and attention going into the new year..My how the "mighty" have fallen...back to Thursday nights. TNA could have done SO much more to captivate the audience. Instead we got a whole stage full of former WWE stars (minus a few) doing exactly what they did in WWE...

Dude I hate to say it but you sound like a TNA mark. TNA was around for a while. They sucked before, they suck still, they'll always suck until they decide to stop using OLD storylines, OLD beaten up wrestlers. Hell Hogan had back surgery and I bet he gets involved in the title faster than Brooke takes her top off the the cameras. What's next for TNA... they tried to hold a battle with WWE...and failed miserably. So they head back to the date and time of WWE's former B show. That says a lot, when they honestly can't even keep up with WWE's "B" show. If they showed WWE House Shows everyday I bet WWE could attract more attention.
Didn't the WWE Diva's segment draw higher ratings than the entire TNA show? Yeah... that says a lot...
dude your saying he sounds like a tna mark well my friend let me tell you something you sound like a wwe mark....ha its funny though because i was reading a post by mark madden earlier today called suprise!!! as i was reading i realized all it was was some *prejudiced remark removed* who thought he was cool bashing tna and before i even finished the first paragraph i closed it and i agree with you i will no longer read any thing that has his name on it. and i hate how people say tna gets bad ratings but i would like to see them have a weekly tv show that gets a million viewers every week sure they are no wwe but they have only been around for like 7 or 8 years..........and to the guy i quoted you said if he got you reading hes doing something right,i say hell no the guy makes no points all he does is bash and i guarentee you his radio show doesnt get near the ratings tna does.i wouldnt mind reading the guys stuff if he made points and justified his thoughts but all he does is talk about how they suck and how wwe is so much better and they failed the monday night wars,but in all reality they didnt fail anything as long as they still have a show every week

Mark Madden was at one time an interesting person to hear from. However, from his last years worth of articles the following things are obvious to me, 1.) He's a sexist 2.) He's got some massive gripe with TNA as even in his articles abou the WWE he has to put in a pot shot at TNA, at the same time rarely does he mention the E in his TNA articles 3.) He's heavily biased against anything TNA does and personally I think that this is due to how he was treated in WCW, due to a lot of former WCW backstage and wrestling talent work in TNA.

Seems every "editorial" from Madden I can remember since Hogan/Bischoff took over TNA do have some common themes I can bank on will be contained....

TNA sucks
Hogan sucks, prick, jerk, etc....
Vince Russo sucks, never had any creative talent
Bischoff, lost whatever he had
Dixie Carter, fool, mark, daddy's little girl
TNA will never make it no matter what they do

Almost all of these are in everyone of his commentaries since the Hogan/TNA annoucement. Yeah, it's a little old.

1. TNA does suck. So does WWE, but not as much as TNA.
2.Hogan is a prick. All he's doing is taking the spotlight away from some talented wrestler's.
3. Russo has always sucked. NO-ONE would ever argue that . It's a safer bet than 'Taker winning at 'Mania.
4.Bischoff has too much on his plate to fully invest his time into TNA.
5. Dixie is a mark. just look at het Twitter posting's.

You're pissed at Madden for his opinion? You don't like what he post's? Then don't read it.

1. TNA does suck. So does WWE, but not as much as TNA.
2.Hogan is a prick. All he's doing is taking the spotlight away from some talented wrestler's.
3. Russo has always sucked. NO-ONE would ever argue that . It's a safer bet than 'Taker winning at 'Mania.
4.Bischoff has too much on his plate to fully invest his time into TNA.
5. Dixie is a mark. just look at het Twitter posting's.

You're pissed at Madden for his opinion? You don't like what he post's? Then don't read it.

dude did you not read the first post? thats exactly what this whole thing is about not reading his posts anymore, obviously your not the sharpest tool in the shed seeing how you dont like wwe or tna but your on a wrestling website whats up with that?there is other ways to go about it then just saying they suck and they wont ever amount to shit the least he could do is justify why he thinks it sucks and put more reason behind it then he just dislikes them for no reason

Madden is a tool, he always has had a hatred for TNA...

Personally, I think he is mad that he no longer has a job in the wrestling business... It's obvious WWE would NEVER hire such a fat slob prick like him and not even the people who once gave him a chance in WCW, will hire him...

Just look at Russo, the guy gave Madden a chance to be on TV and live what must be his dream... He can talk about his radio job and shit all he wants, but I think it's obvious he always wanted to be in the wrestling business and his little columns are his attempt of being "involved."

He even turned on Hall, who has his problems, but come on... How can he tell a story about how the Outsiders got his fat ass his job back with more pay, and in the next paragraph talk shit in Hall...?

It's almost sad really... Poor tubby guy... But, if you take anything he says to heart, then you should really think about who it's coming from... Mark Madden will never have a job in any wrestling company again and his fifteen minutes of fame sucked... He is no expert, just some internet geek that got lucky when they put him on the air...

He is a bitter, bitter man...

Aside from him being unforgivably biased towards one product, his snide remarks about certain wrestlers that aren't true, and those uncomfortably awkward horny comments towards the knockouts!!! No not at all :)

i am in no way sick of mark madden. he has good insight to the business and i love his rants. very jim cornette-ish. madden has been around since the wcw days. if anyone knows the in's and out's and what makes or breaks the wrestling business, it would probably be someone whos been around for a while...like him. he doesnt bash tna for no reason. hell, tna has sucked for the past 8 years. with hogan and bisch around, we expected better and ended up getting shit. old wrestlers who cant hang in wwe talking about shit that WE DONT CARE ABOUT. I DONT CARE ABOUT THE NASTY BOYS AND HOW THEY DONT TAKE SHOWERS. YES I THOUGHT SAGS WAS DEAD BUT WHOOO CARESSS! scott hall is an outta shape fat ass who will NEVER have any more relevance in the wrestling business. so put a title on him?? i agree with mark madden. tna has infinite potential that is being completely wasted. and just because rvd and jeff hardy are in tna now, doesnt mean ratings, and wont change a thing.

When I first started coming onto this site I enjoyed the Madden editorials. He was in the business, and would tell stories about the guys that are still floating around today. I enjoyed this inside perspective. Now he's just like everyone else. He still bashes DDP like he's World Champ somewhere. Like he's relevant. Madden is slowly becoming like Rush Limbaugh, just an old man who can't escape his earlier box of thought.

And just like Rush, and most people, he ignores the big picture. He focuses on the success of a company as being defined by how much money they can bring in, or by how high their ratings are. However, there are also a ton of factors that play into those, most having nothing to do with the product itself. When TNA first came on television, I loved it. They put time and effort into what they did, and had intriguing storylines. What Bischoff and Hogan did was focus on the business, and the quality went down. They didn't attract new viewers like they were hoping, but are exactly where they were. They brought in all of these guys to increase revenue and ratings, and even put the title on one of these guys, and it did nothing. It's the same thing that hurt WWE's product and lowered their popularity: the switch to focusing more on the profit than on the product.

Madden not only ignores that, but he ignores larger forces at work. Wrestling just simply isn't the hot draw it was 10 years ago. Look at the Raw ratings from the 90s compared to now. They dropped by 2.0 or more. The viewers "grew up", the product didn't. By focusing on profit, the WWE kept their fan base at the age that could annoy mommy and daddy about toys and live shows. Which is fine from a business perspective, but from a true wrestling fan perspective, all should be outraged. Wrestling simply isn't what it used to be, and the fact that TNA can get a 1.0 rating on a channel that most parents block their kids (the wrestling fans of the last 10 years) from watching, isn't bad at all. I know plenty of people my age who made fun of me for years for watching wrestling, "get it" when I showed them an Impact match. I was watching Wrestlemania this last year, and one of them said they'd rather watch that Hogan debut Impact episode instead of it. And you know what, I agreed.

Madden seemed to forget how to be a fan, and it seems also that a lot of people on here forgot that too. Do people really enjoy something because a lot of other people watch it too and it makes a lot of money? You enjoy what you enjoy. If WWE says they're going to aim at a younger generation, and you still find it amusing, then great, but remember then that you have the same taste as an 8 year old. You watch what entertains you. WWE has ceased to do that for me, with some exceptions that keep me watching. I don't watch though because I enjoy it, but because I'm hoping the product turns around. I still add to the ratings, but I'm not satisfied. Anyone just looking at ratings sees 3.6 satisfied viewers. I don't know if that's really the case.

Yes, TNA isn't perfect, but WWE isn't either, not by a long shot. And it isn't being a TNA mark to say that Madden clearly only focuses on TNA/WCW/ECW, and rarely makes comments about awful WWE storylines, unless they happened 15+ years ago. He's not a commentator on modern professional wrestling. He's an old timer who bashes the new idea because the old days were better in his eyes. And the reason for that is probably because he was somebody in the old days. One of the best storylines done recently plays to this point, when Jericho called out all the old timers in his 'Wrestler' storyline. Heck, even Hogan isn't the draw he used to be. The entire face of wrestling has changed since Madden mattered, and his commentaries, although entertaining, don't offer any real wisdom about wrestling. They're just the rantings of an angry old man who needs to give us a monthly reminder that he's still alive.

I like Mark Madden. I like someone who is not afraid to speak their mind, and can care less about idiots that post idiot threads about him. Madden has a right to an opinion just like you and me. Whether you like them or not, you still read his articles and I'm afraid you will still continue to do so. I don't believe you will stop reading, and I think he knows that too. Even if it's just to see what he's bashing TNA about this week or that week, he continues to get the page views because he knows he gets your guy's goats. He's the perfect heel columnist, Disco did a great job on here before him, but Madden has it down to a science.

dude did you not read the first post? thats exactly what this whole thing is about not reading his posts anymore, obviously your not the sharpest tool in the shed seeing how you dont like wwe or tna but your on a wrestling website whats up with that?there is other ways to go about it then just saying they suck and they wont ever amount to shit the least he could do is justify why he thinks it sucks and put more reason behind it then he just dislikes them for no reason

For the record I'm a WCW mark. Not a WWE mark. But THANKS for trying. All Madden does is provide his honest uncensored opinion. He's awesome plain and simple. Without Madden back in WCW the announcers booth would have been boring. So you mean to tell me if a guy is getting people to read what he writes he's not doing his job? Get off your Menstrual Rampage. Insulting people is one of the quickest ways to find the exit on here especially once I hit that little report button. Mark Madden has provided reasons behind his opinions before. There are only 2 types of people that are sick of Madden. The kind that can't stand the truth. And the kind that can't stand reading the same reasons over and over again. And why are they the same reasons over and over again?
Because TNA recycles useless storylines more times then Stephanie McMahon had soppy seconds.
Because TNA makes the same stupid mistakes over and over again. Yes they put on a FEW good matches but for the most part their matches combine with their announcing makes their matches all but unbearable. TNA is a failure plain and simple. You said they haven't failed because they are still a company... They specifically said they were moving to Monday Nights to CHALLENGE WWE. When you lose a CHALLENGE you are a FAILURE.

I enjoy Madden's columns even if I don't always agree with his opinions. The guy's got industry experience and knowledge that I don't have and I always appreciate his insights.

Nope - not sick of him at all. I wish he'd write more often, actually.

Madden speaks truth. Part of why wrestling sucks (and why the world sucks, too) is the fact that a lot of people can't stand hearing the truth about themselves or something they love. However, it's still incredibly important to hear it, as it puts things in perspective and keeps reality in check. I'll tell you what I'm sick of. I'm sick of a bunch of internet wrestling fans cheering something on even though it's awful and pretending to be experts about something they see only on TV and when they buy a ticket. Madden's been there. Even when he's overly smug and cynical (which he is, but I think it's his gimmick to be the "heel" around here or something), he still speaks the brutal truth, and that's important.

Anyone complaining about Madden slamming TNA in his recent article clearly is 1) A TNA mark, because he referenced both TNA and WWE in terms of the 'surprise' factor. He only bashed TNA more in terms of it because they do it poorly and unsuccessfully, as opposed to WWE who know how to work it better. So I don't know why you're bitching about stating a TRUTH. And 2) clearly didn't read the whole article because the article wasn't about TNA and he did a fine job, which I found interesting as a topic, explaining his opinions on surprise vs. logical booking.

I actually enjoy Madden's editorials and he's the only one on this site that I'll actually read because all the other writers of editorials are garbage. Madden has the knowledge to make those opinions, and he speaks his mind in his own style, if you really don't enjoy or appreciate what he's saying then just don't read the articles.

While he does talk about TNA too much, I agree with what he says about them. TNA has no future, TNA sucks, Hogan this, Hogan that, etc...he's just telling it like it is. And BTW, Mark Madden isn't the only one ripping on TNA. You got guys like Jim Cornette and Lance Storm who also shit on TNA and they all speak the truth. So if you're sick of Mark Madden, then you'll be even more sick when there's thousands of fans and insiders who constantly shit on TNA. I'm one of them..

I am glad someone posted about this. I usually do not read the opinion pieces unless I need a good laugh but I read this latest one for some reason and was left scratching my head. The first problem is I do not even think he knows what surprise means. Surprise is surprising by definition. Maybe the problem is things that were meant to be surprising that are not (which I do not think happens that much or would be the IWCs fault). I do not even think that is it. What I think might be at the root of a point he might be presenting in an odd and totally biased way is that the audience's desire for surprises has hurt the quality of wrestling booking in general. Which even if that is his point would seem to contradict his ideas about why things should happen (shouldn't you give the people what they want if making money is what is success? and how does doing that make you lazy?). Doesn't he realize one of if not the most common complaints about WWE and maybe the whole industry is that it is too predictable? But wait he provides us the laziest of evidence that long-term predictable booking is best. He provides a whopping two cherrypicked moments that happened a long time ago. In fact he even admits that one of them failed to produce the long-term success he is claiming his method would produce. So if 50 percent of his hand picked evidence is faulty why are we taking him serious again? He basically is saying he wants a product that he likes but it also has to make money. His current fancy is the simplicity of old-school up to 80s wrestling. The logic failure is that recreating the past is not going to make money because the revolutionary aspect of ECW is what made it great like he said. Thus, you cannot simply go back to the way it was and expect to find success.

To top off all his failings he devotes some random time to bashing TNA in an odd way. How exactly was the monday night move the best example of overrating surprise for the sake of surprise? Maybe I am missing something but it sure seemed like TNAs ratings were up when they had the surprise factor and went down once they set into their longer stories. If he likes the cherry picked pop moment evidence, then RVD's surprising title win takes the cake. Wrestling booking without surprises will fail surely in present times. Sure occasionally people enjoy seeing the logical culmination of something they have been waiting for but you cannot book the whole product this way.

Old storylines? old beaten up wrestlers? Im sorry but what is new about WWE's storylines that I havent seen a hundred times? Wrestlemania was a borefest with the exception of Undertaker Vs Shawn Michaels, so what makes WWE any better? Im not saying TNA is perfect. TNA has its faults but the real thing that WWE has that TNA doesnt is the WWE name. Its known and established, its gunna be difficult to stand up to that no matter how good u are.

I for one enjoy Madden's editorials and i believe that 99.9% of the time he gets it spot on. Theres just a large amount of people that can't handle it. Everyone was geared up for Monday Night Wars II; TNA and WWE as equals. It didn't work. At all. TNA's ratings dropped and they moved back to Thursday nights to lick their wounds. So because Madden comments on this, he is biased?

I'll admit, he does tend to focus more on TNA than WWE, but then TNA is, the majority of the time, the inferior product. I won't get into a huge bashing rant on TNA because i don't hate it. I tune in when i can and i find segments interesting but you would have to be a blind, loyal fanatic to say there is not one thing wrong with TNA. There is. Deal with it. Madden comments on what does/doesn't work and i find his opinion interesting.

I've read a lot of comments on here about people saying he wants to relive past glories and that he would love nothing more than to be involved with the wrestling biz so he bashes TNA to make himself feel better. I find this hard to believe and i feel the guy should be given a break; after all, he has what none of us have; experience in the wrestling business.

But overall, i get the feeling a lot of the TNA fans on here can't accept or take criticism of their favoured product so well. Yes, TNA get some things right but like every other company in any other aspect of business, they get stuff wrong too.

Normally, I would say that Madden has an unhealthy fascination with finding a thread of truth in some argument and then using it to bash TNA, Russo or anyone for that matter over the head with.

However, his latest column is one of his best. TNA did indeed try to enter their Monday night slot solely with "surprise" instead of using the surprises to further fleshed-out storylines and feuds. He also does not limit his criticisms. Yes, Russo does get the rough end but at least this time it is in the context of his column's overall subject matter. Can it be denied that continued "surprises" did not play some role in the watering down of the nWo? I don't think so.

Perhaps the same can be said for WCW booking in general which could not or would not move away from shock TV - the success of Hogan's heel turn in 1996 would eventually lead to the Fingerpoke of Doom and David Arquette wearing the WCW Championship.

Madden is also complimentary of someone other that Lacey Von Erich, stating that Paul Heyman created something special with very little in ECW even though he does not jump on the "ECW being better than anything ever" bandwagon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back