AJ Styles & Stings Impact Promo: TNA at it's best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

My$terio_Fan

I can do whatever I want
On tonight's impact AJ styles came to the ring to make a "huge announcement". He then cut one of the best, seemingly most heartfelt promos of the year. He announced that he wanted out of TNA and the wrestling business in order to see his kids grow up.

Sting then came down, and cut another bad ass promo, basically telling Styles that he's the future, the chosen one, and if he quits he's a loser. At the end Styles & Sting leave the ring together, with Taz & Tenay wondering what's next?

So did you like this promo? Was it one of the best of the year, mediocre, or a cheesy, corny mess? And what do you think's to come from this?

Like I said, I loved this. I actually got chills and was reminded why I love wrestling in the first place. Both Styles & Sting brough their A game and I totally became a mark and believed everything. This was TNA at it's best, imo.

I really thought at the end that Styles was going to attack Sting, but I think they were teasing that. I guess it's safe to assume that Styles Vs. Sting is going to be on the BFG card, and Sting's last match. This feud has the ability to be as good or even better than Flair/HBK. And unlike that feud, this could really put Styles in the forefront of TNA. After tonight, I'm pumped, intrigued, and best of all anxious to see what's next with this angle.

But what's your thoughts?

I loved the promo. AJ did a good job with what he had to say, b ut I've felt that AJ was a lot better at promos than what most people thought. Sting has the charisma to make you stop whatever you're doing and turn all attention to him, and that's exactly what he did tonight. I do have to admit that Sting saying AJ after everything he said was a little annoying, but it's something he does and I've grown used to it.

Hopefully this leads into an amazing match between the two, with AJ getting the rub, and Sting gracefully leaving the active roster. I really hate to see Sting go, but all good things must come to an end I guess, and if AJ Styles becomes a legit main eventer after his match with Sting, then at least Sting will go out with purpose.

I as well thought it was a great promo. Both delivered big time! I'm expecting nothing but good things to come from this. Hopefully resulting in Sting vs Styles at BFG with Styles picking up the win, making him the face of TNA.

Are you seroius?? i watched this and thought to myself "why am i watching this?? I would rather watch HHH and Orton for the 100th time, or watch john cena vs the big show"... I dont watch TNA cause it seems to always disappoint... and if this was supposed to be good, then i suggest you watch wwe... TNA sucks... even their main eventers fucked up... not to mention the horrible horrible female matches, and the fake as hell hardcore match... i would rather watch no hardcore match them a botched one... WWE might be pg, but i would way rather watch it... i feel like its TNA that has all the inexperienced kids wrestling, and there wrestling is so fake, that i cant imagine even a child could believe its real, let alone an adult... i am done ripping on TNA, but i am asking, does anyone feel the same??

Are you seroius?? i watched this and thought to myself "why am i watching this?? I would rather watch HHH and Orton for the 100th time, or watch john cena vs the big show"... I dont watch TNA cause it seems to always disappoint... and if this was supposed to be good, then i suggest you watch wwe... TNA sucks... even their main eventers fucked up... not to mention the horrible horrible female matches, and the fake as hell hardcore match... i would rather watch no hardcore match them a botched one... WWE might be pg, but i would way rather watch it... i feel like its TNA that has all the inexperienced kids wrestling, and there wrestling is so fake, that i cant imagine even a child could believe its real, let alone an adult... i am done ripping on TNA, but i am asking, does anyone feel the same??

Hahahahahahaha

You claim TNA has botched matches but can you provide proof that the WWE hasn't had one. TNA women's matches are so much better than WWE's it's not even funny. If they can bring the same good stuff to their PPV's as they do with Impact, they will get better and better

If you can't tell by now, I didn't agree with you.

I really hope this isn't TNA at its best. Really? I mean even the least knowledgable wrestling fan could tell you that they couldn't believe for half a millisecond that AJ was going to call it quits. AJ's fake crying was almost laughable. The "I'm quitting" thing has been done before and how many times does one actually quit? Zero. It's almost as bad as a wedding storyline in the WWE. Don't get me wrong, I like TNA, but this segment was awful. It's kinda like the same thing WWE did with MVP. Except TNA is not going to have AJ lose 5 months worth of matches and whatnot. AJ is down on his luck, then eventually wins the TNA Championship. I mean... ugh. It just seems bland and unoriginal. I know I may be nitpicking, but c'mon TNA. You can think of a more creative way for AJ to go back to the top of the company and take the title. It's AJ Styles. Your best all around superstar. The young face of the company. He's TNA's John Cena. This crybaby losing a couple matches and hanging it up after SEVEN years is not going to fly.

Stings part on the other hand was very well done. But AJs... not so much.

On tonight's impact AJ styles came to the ring to make a "huge announcement". He then cut one of the best, seemingly most heartfelt promos of the year. He announced that he wanted out of TNA and the wrestling business in order to see his kids grow up.

Sting then came down, and cut another bad ass promo, basically telling Styles that he's the future, the chosen one, and if he quits he's a loser. At the end Styles & Sting leave the ring together, with Taz & Tenay wondering what's next?

So did you like this promo? Was it one of the best of the year, mediocre, or a cheesy, corny mess? And what do you think's to come from this?

Like I said, I loved this. I actually got chills and was reminded why I love wrestling in the first place. Both Styles & Sting brough their A game and I totally became a mark and believed everything. This was TNA at it's best, imo.

I really thought at the end that Styles was going to attack Sting, but I think they were teasing that. I guess it's safe to assume that Styles Vs. Sting is going to be on the BFG card, and Sting's last match. This feud has the ability to be as good or even better than Flair/HBK. And unlike that feud, this could really put Styles in the forefront of TNA. After tonight, I'm pumped, intrigued, and best of all anxious to see what's next with this angle.

But what's your thoughts?

I couldn't agree with you more. This promo made me appreciate my love for professional wrestling. It was heartfelt, sincere, to the point, and well spoken. What I enjoy the most about TNA is that their promos are in many ways shoots disguised in kayfabe. It allows me to connect with the characters on a personal level and really see and feel their passion for the business.

This promo isn't TNA at its best per se (I think the Riot was TNA at its "best"), but it is TNA showing you how versatile they are and that they are not afraid to take it to the next level. They do not want to restrict their talent, and they do not want gimmicks and watered down fluff. They want pure passion and intensity in every single segment.

This promo just put AJ on a launching pad and he is going to be one of the faces of the company soon. I too am pumped, as TNA has been extremely entertaining and constantly reminds me of how great a wrestling show can actually be. I am genuinely entertained night in and night out. It's almost like they know exactly what I want to see.

I really hope this isn't TNA at its best. Really? I mean even the least knowledgable wrestling fan could tell you that they couldn't believe for half a millisecond that AJ was going to call it quits. AJ's fake crying was almost laughable. The "I'm quitting" thing has been done before and how many times does one actually quit? Zero. It's almost as bad as a wedding storyline in the WWE. Don't get me wrong, I like TNA, but this segment was awful. It's kinda like the same thing WWE did with MVP. Except TNA is not going to have AJ lose 5 months worth of matches and whatnot. AJ is down on his luck, then eventually wins the TNA Championship. I mean... ugh. It just seems bland and unoriginal. I know I may be nitpicking, but c'mon TNA. You can think of a more creative way for AJ to go back to the top of the company and take the title. It's AJ Styles. Your best all around superstar. The young face of the company. He's TNA's John Cena. This crybaby losing a couple matches and hanging it up after SEVEN years is not going to fly.

Stings part on the other hand was very well done. But AJs... not so much.

Eh? I must be the least knowledgable wrestling fan, because at first I started to buy the hype. I though Styles pulled off the "I'm leaving" shtick very well, and his "fake" crying was alot better than most soap opera actors now a days.

And really, who cares if you buy it? I mean did you buy Stone Cold in the Attitude Era, HHH breaking Ortons house apart, anything in wrestling once you turned 10? Not really, because you know it's fake. But it doesn't take away the fact that these two pulled off a great promo.

Show me something TNA has done better in the last 6 months? Morgans last promo was good, and the riot was entertaining but I stand strong by saying this promo was TNA at it's best. Hell it blew WWE out of the water(minus CM Punk's heel promo). All I know is, I'm a person who find most shit corny and awful, but I loved this.

It's been done, and it was sort of cheesy, and all but these two brought their "A" games and to me showed how great TNA could really be. Crowd was pretty into it aswell(not saying much since TNA crowds are always hyped)but still. But it's all just my opinion, of course :)

And when I say TNA at it's best, I don't mean the best moment ever to happen in TNA's history or what not. Just that I think it's one of the best things TNA has done this year, and another highlight of the potential TNA has. I really hope the rating improves this week since it was a good show.

Eh? I must be the least knowledgable wrestling fan, because at first I started to buy the hype. I though Styles pulled off the "I'm leaving" shtick very well, and his "fake" crying was alot better than most soap opera actors now a days.

Soap Opera acting is god awful... all the time.

And really, who cares if you buy it? I mean did you buy Stone Cold in the Attitude Era, HHH breaking Ortons house apart, anything in wrestling once you turned 10? Not really, because you know it's fake. But it doesn't take away the fact that these two pulled off a great promo.

I was still young with Austin in the Attitude Era. Austin's feud with McMahon in that era should never be compared to what AJ did on Impact. I know you're not comparing the two directly, but the Austin/McMahon feud was arguably the best feud in the history of the business. That was 452x more believeable than AJ trying to make himself cry...and failing.

Show me something TNA has done better in the last 6 months? Morgans last promo was good, and the riot was entertaining but I stand strong by saying this promo was TNA at it's best. Hell it blew WWE out of the water(minus CM Punk's heel promo). All I know is, I'm a person who find most shit corny and awful, but I loved this.

The Guns "commercial" type promo to hire them tonight was pretty damn good (if not better) than AJ's horrible crying and just plain not original idea. I honestly can't find something better in the last 6 months... because I haven't watched TNA in probably 6 months. Not because I think it's "stupid" or "it sucks" like other people. Because I don't. I like TNA. I like the "other game in town." Hell, I just like wrestling. Period. It's summer and I just have other crap to do. haha But I think since Mania, the WWE has also been very good. They are finally getting the hint of pushing the younger talent. So if TNA has been good the last 6 months, good for them. I really am happy for them. But Vince's boys haven't been too shabby themselves.

It's been done, and it was sort of cheesy, and all but these two brought their "A" games and to me showed how great TNA could really be. Crowd was pretty into it aswell(not saying much since TNA crowds are always hyped)but still. But it's all just my opinion, of course :)

Correct. Opinions are like assholes, we all have one. I'm glad we're able to discuss this like humans unlike others on these boards.

And when I say TNA at it's best, I don't mean the best moment ever to happen in TNA's history or what not. Just that I think it's one of the best things TNA has done this year, and another highlight of the potential TNA has. I really hope the rating improves this week since it was a good show.

I see what you mean. I think it would have been a little more effective though if AJ had gone through a little more of a rough patch than he did. I mean how many matches did he REALLY lose lately? Yes he lost the 2 of 3 against Morgan, but c'mon... it was for A SHOT in the main event. Not for the title itself. Not for any title. And it wasn't like he had a losing streak spiralling down to hell like the WWE gave MVP before his face turn. I think AJ shoulda been more mad and pissy than "aw shucks" AJ. I mean considering leaving wrestling and delivering a promo about it for losing like... a couple matches? C'mon. I do agree that TNA has the potential there. But they can definately do better than AJ's little boo-hooing tonight.

The reason they have to have AJ crying and being torn about his career is because they are setting up for an emotional moment. If BFG really is Sting's last dance, and AJ is being set up to be the one to retire him, then it will be an emotional moment. I think it is a much better idea to play the story out like this rather than turn AJ into a dick bent on retiring Sting. Now I can't pass judgement on the actual segment until Saturday since my DVR decided to be a bitch, but M_F has been spot on for the most part, so I will take his word for it until then.

AJ Vs Sting at BFG is going to be a match that has been coming from TNA for years, it is going to be great, highly anticipated and with a great build up, it could be AJs greatest match with Sting really putting him over and vice versa, then AJ will go from there, hopefully being more of the face of TNA than guys like Angle, although i see the result being Sting winning but lets know your thoughts !

I think TNA have set this up very nicely. For once TNA is really picking up (Please Jeff Jarrett stay away forever ?). I like the way this is being done, maybe have it AJ trying to proove to Sting he rly is the future of the company. This is much better than having AJ turn heel and attack Sting or somthing, at least this way respect is earned.

It looks like its going to be a fued leading to BFG and have AJ beat Sting, given AJ the rub off Sting, and having Sting retire happy.

Kudos to TNA, things are looking bright for there future.

Really? You think BFG is going to have a "Retirement Match" between AJ Styles and Sting? No. No. No. I don't think they're going to take the retirement type of angle like the WWE did less than 2 years ago and apply it to their own big PPV. That doesn't make any sense. TNA wants to show how it's original and different than the big boys. They need to start doing that. I want TNA to succeed and be legit competition for the WWE, but to do so, they're going to have to quit recycling ideas and storylines from the WWE...especially since this foreseen AJ/Sting/BFG match everyone thinks is being set up as a retirement match. I don't know how they'll set it up... but with BFG about 2 months away, wouldn't it make more sense to have AJ win the TNA Title at BFG?

I'm not going to set it up because I don't care how they set it up... but that crybaby thing on Impact was just something I thought was horribly thought-up, but somewhat well-executed. Basically it goes down like this...

Triple Threat Match for the TNA Title. Angle/Sting/AJ. Sting agrees to give it one more go at the grand stage of BFG for the title. If Sting loses, he willingly retires. AJ obviously comes out the winner and new TNA Champion (possibly pinning Sting), Sting hands him the title or and "passes the torch" in an emotional man-hug and confetti and yadda yadda yadda. Angle loses the title, the MEM won't have any titles after that night and there starts the fall of the MEM, Joe goes back to being a face as he and Taz's "master plan" to infiltrate the MEM and tear them apart from the inside is carried out in full (not sure how that would exactly go down), and Stings whole 1+ year speech/story about bringing respect back to the business and such comes full circle. That's a whole lot to accomplish in one night but it's totally doable. And other than the other MEM members losing their titles, all of that can be accomplished in 1 single match. What better stage than BFG?

And Nate... I didn't mean having AJ dick bent on retiring Sting. I just meant on Impact last night it should have been a little more of AJ crying and hating on himself in a more quick irrational mad at himself manner after losing like.... 2-3 matches. Last night, AJ played that off and carried it out like he's been contemplating retirement for some time and that he spent months (or some other large period of time) soul-searching and all that crap. It was just way too emotional of a speech than I think we really needed was all.

Edit: And one additional thought to why I believe my idea makes way more sense than a "Retirement Match" between AJ and Sting. Given Angle is still the champion, who the eff is he going to face if the two biggest faces in the company are in a match against each other? Hernandez? I sure hope not. I like Hernandez, but I still think he's AT LEAST 6 months-1 year away from being a legit contender for the TNA Title. That briefcase alone can't give him the push and such needed to become a big face of the company... or even a believable champion. Eventually yes. But not anytime soon.

The only other logical choices left are Lashley and Matt Morgan. Could they give it to Lashley? Most likely. But it would only be his 2nd TNA PPV and he'd already win the big prize? That would be the most likely opponent for Angle in my mind. Matt Morgan... he needs a good face push to get him to the top. He just doesn't work as a heel for me. He comes off like he's trying too hard to be a heel. And at BFG... I really doubt we'll see a heel Angle and heel Matt Morgan for the TNA Title.

I loved this promo and I really hope the storyline plays out well. To see Sting come out with no make up or nothing, to me, that shows how much they wanted to show the emotions of it. The part where Sting said " Look me in the eyes and say " Sting, I quit!!....Sting I'm a loser!! You either do that, or you go back there, you put your boots on, lace 'em up tight, get your head back in the game, and CLAIM WHAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE YOURS!! ", this part , really drew me in. When he said that, I was like, shit , this promo is awesome. It's probably one of the best I've seen in all of TNA. I truly hope this is a sign of things to come for TNA. If they can keep the writing like this, then they can go far, really far.

Hopefully this leads to Sting vs AJ at Bound For Glory and Sting's retirement and an amazing match.

It was a great promo. It didn't match the Arn Anderson interview as he shot on the NWO the second week after it formed in the infamous "They send one of yours to the hospital, you send one of theirs to the morgue" shoot but I felt overall that Sting knocked it out of the park and AJ is so passionate in the way he wrestles and does promos anyway that his was believable. Overall it is the interview of the year in TNA hands down in my opinion.

I just saw the promo on youtube and all I can say is....WOW.AJ & Sting both killed it.AJ's speech did'nt sound scripted like most "retirement" promos do.I hope they fight at BFG because that would be a match that IMO is as awesome as this promo was

Don't know what the rest of you saw, but I only saw AJ's eyes water up a little. He needs to study Kurt's latest interview to see a man cry "real" tears. :lmao:

BTW, I sat watching the promo thinking someone had to run in and attack AJ, but no, just Sting coming out to play big brother and protector. :wtf:

I thought that it was a really good promo. There was a lot of emotion, and I like how Sting revealed that he's seen AJ as the "Chosen One" for this whole time and all of his talk about respect and honor was supposed to be towards him. I don't think it was the greatest promo/segment ever, I actuall prefer the Sting/Nash promo on the Impact after Joe turned more than this one.

However, it did get the job done and could lead to some great things in the future. I'm not exactly sure what, but I'm assuming it is going to be AJ retiring Sting. It has already sort of been confirmed that Sting will retire after BFG, and I think Styles is the best choice for his last match. Morgan is another possiblity, but I think AJ deserves the honor more than Sting does.

But, I hope that AJ does it as a heel. It's something that we haven't seen from him for a long time and I think it could really prevent his character from becoming stale. If they don't decide to got with this option, AJ should take the title from Angle. In my opinion, he'd be a much better choice than the impending Lashley/Angle match.

For me, I thought the promo was both cheesy and predictable. I was curious about what this big announcement was but, right before going to commercial break, they showed AJ Styles walking and I distinctly heard him sniffling, as if he'd been crying or something. And it just suddenly hit me, he's going to make an announcement that he's retiring. He'll tell about how it just seems to have gone downhill after losing the Legends title and I just sensed that before he left the ring that someone would come out from the back and pull a big brother act. I thought it would either be Daniels, Mick Foley or Sting.

I just didn't buy into Styles' performance in the promo at all, he's just not that good of an actor. Now, I do think it took some guts to do the thing with the sniffling and crying and all that, given the macho aspect of wrestling, but I didn't believe a word that was said. Styles just didn't put the raw, naked emotion into it that may have made me stop to think for a second, "Is he serious"? It just seemed kind of half assed to me, I get the point of what they were trying to get across but it came across as corny. If the point was to put on a show, to at least make it seem for a moment that I was going to leave a company that I loved, had helped build and devoted much of my adult life to, then I would've poured it on. Conjure up emotions about one thing and use them to really pull it off for this. Maybe think about how I'd feel if my mother passing away with me on the road, not having a chance to say goodbye or something like that, let the tears stream down my face, snot flowing outta my noise, my body racking with sobs to the point I can barely stand and just really put my heart into it.

I do applaud the effort, I will say that, but it just didn't reach me.

First off, a little personal story with this subject. My fiancee absolutely hates wrestling, but last night she sat down with me and watched iMPACT! For the most part she wasnt too highly enthused with it all. Until A.J. Styles came out and looked like he was about to cry. She turns to me and goes.

"Why does he look like he is crying?"

I say...

"Honey, I don't know, just sit back and watch and find out."

So we sit there and watch all of this unfold. A.J. is talking about the wrestling business, talking about how he bled for the business, how he sweat for the business, and how he cried and had so much pride in TNA. He talked about how hard it was for him to go home, and not be on edge, how he would snap at his wife and kids. Then he proceeded to say he was going to leave TNA. To which my fiancee then said...

"Why is he just quitting, he has a wife and kids to provide for, this must be a really emotional decision for him."

Now mind you, she knows wrestling is fake, and she knows it's all scripted. So for her to sit there and forget for a moment that this was all fake, and for her to believe it is quite monumental. Then of course Sting comes out and proceeds to lay into A.J. about how for the last 7 years he has given his all, and that now he is a quitter. Sting gets really emotional and pumped up, and then says the words. "YOU LOOK ME IN THE FACE AND TELL ME YOU'RE A LOSER, YOU TELL ME YOU QUIT." To which my fiancee responds.

"I hate to admit it, but i just got choked up and got goosebumps from this segment."

Now, for a non wrestling fan to sit there and say this. It shows you how well done this segment actually was. Sting and A.J. Styles went out there and put on the best 15 minutes of promo work I have seen in a long, long time. So yes, this was not only TNA at it's best, but the wrestling business at it's best. Kudos to both for putting on such an amazing performance, because in wrestling, it's not all about the in-ring work. A lot of it is about the promos, and these to delivered the best one in a long long time.

I thought the promo was amazing. It is easy for someone who hasn't watched Impact in 6 months to see a grown man crying in the ring and make fun of it. I agree AJ isn't the best actor in the world but he was crying because here is guy who is the leader of the TNA Frontline. I know he only lost a few matches but those were big matches and he is the one to set the example. He is also a father and husband who is always on the road and misses his family. What's not genuine about that?

Sting coming out and telling AJ he can't quit because Sting doesn't have anyone to pass the torch to was great. You can say it's been done before, but what hasn't been done before in wrestling? Triple and Orton copied Steve Austin and Pillman with their home invasion angle before WM 25. I believe AJ Styles acting over Abraham Washington's any day. Maybe some people find singing Hootie and the Blowfish on ECW is more entertaining then a good promo on TNA. Go figure.

I believe Angle is going to be in the title match against either Lashley or Morgan at BFG, or both. Seeing AJ against Sting is the best match for Sting's last match. Whether Sting retires or not, who is better to face Sting then AJ?
At least it won't be a 60 year old man wrestling a 45 year old man. That was a great match but come on, the torch was passed to Michaels more than 10 years ago. It may seem fake or cheesy to some people, but I would rather see a cheesy storyline then no story line at all. At least it has build up, rather then just throwing the same 2 guys in the main event every month.

Soap Opera acting is god awful... all the time.

I was still young with Austin in the Attitude Era. Austin's feud with McMahon in that era should never be compared to what AJ did on Impact. I know you're not comparing the two directly, but the Austin/McMahon feud was arguably the best feud in the history of the business. That was 452x more believeable than AJ trying to make himself cry...and failing.

The Guns "commercial" type promo to hire them tonight was pretty damn good (if not better) than AJ's horrible crying and just plain not original idea. I honestly can't find something better in the last 6 months... because I haven't watched TNA in probably 6 months. Not because I think it's "stupid" or "it sucks" like other people. Because I don't. I like TNA. I like the "other game in town." Hell, I just like wrestling. Period. It's summer and I just have other crap to do. haha But I think since Mania, the WWE has also been very good. They are finally getting the hint of pushing the younger talent. So if TNA has been good the last 6 months, good for them. I really am happy for them. But Vince's boys haven't been too shabby themselves.

Correct. Opinions are like assholes, we all have one. I'm glad we're able to discuss this like humans unlike others on these boards.

I see what you mean. I think it would have been a little more effective though if AJ had gone through a little more of a rough patch than he did. I mean how many matches did he REALLY lose lately? Yes he lost the 2 of 3 against Morgan, but c'mon... it was for A SHOT in the main event. Not for the title itself. Not for any title. And it wasn't like he had a losing streak spiralling down to hell like the WWE gave MVP before his face turn. I think AJ shoulda been more mad and pissy than "aw shucks" AJ. I mean considering leaving wrestling and delivering a promo about it for losing like... a couple matches? C'mon. I do agree that TNA has the potential there. But they can definately do better than AJ's little boo-hooing tonight.

Ugh! Damn me not knowing how to use the multi quote function! Gurr.

Anyways, the Austin comment was just a way to express that just because you don't believe in something, or it seems fake, doesn't make it good. I mean we all know Taker isn't a deadman, wrestling is fake and we all know that.

And I respect that you didn't like the Angle and thought AJ's acting was bad, but personally I thought it was brilliant. And so did the crowd apparently with the "please don't go chants". And at a moment I was wondering myself, "could AJ really be going?" I was fooled by the crying and to me it came off sincere, honest, and emotional.

And AJ wasn't just going to leave because he was losing, he also stated how he missed his family, and wanted to spend more time with them. That part was probably really sincere and to me it came off that way. But I guess there's no sence arguing since you thought the angle sucked, and I thought it was brilliant.

And that doesn't even include Stings great promo, and their interaction. I think this set up a great storyline between the two of them, and honestly I cannot wait to see what comes out of it.

And I stick by what I said, this is TNA at it's best. Yes the MCMG promo was good, Angle/Morgan/Lashley was good, but this was an emotional, and intriguing storyline, that so far seems to have gotten a pretty good reception, excluding a few people.

The storyline might not be the most original, but pretty much ever storyline is recycled now a days anyways. It's what you do with it now that makes it good. Sting & Styles have a chance to take an un-original storyline, and make us forget all about the others.

The segment as a whole, gets an "A", but I can't give both men an individual grade as high. What Styles had to say was great, and he did a decent job of looking choked up, but I quickly figured out that he was staying put, and was trying to see what would make him stay. Sting did an incredible job with his half, and it made the segment so much better. I don't see a match/feud coming out of this, but perhaps a partnership. Sting mentors Styles, leading him back to the title (maybe), and then there's a chance at a match for Sting to go out. I don't think the match will ever be as good as Flair v HBK though.

Look, A.J. Styles is one of the best reasons to watch TNA - but I can't even recall all the times it seems he's received the chance to carry the Company, and hes seemingly dropped the ball time and time again. I don't get why, but I'm pretty sure its because people see him as great to watch, but not worth believing in.

Now, before I get grilled over that, let me explain.

Styles is at most a Heavyweight Superstar in a Cruiserweight's body. He can go with anyone, and has given the likes of; Angle, Joe, and even Abyss some of their greatest matches. But in the end, Styles is cheered and loved because of what he can do, spot-wise - not exactly what he can do, development wise. Hes sketchy on the mic from time to time, and while he cut a heart-felt promo, it was because anyone who loves this business can cut a heartfelt promo about possibly retiring. Its not hard to work up tears, over believing in your own mind you could be giving up what you love the most.

But Styles can't come out on a weekly basis, and cut these types of promos. So short of "faking retirement" on a weekly basis, all Styles can do - is gain cheers, for his athletic ability and nothing more. His character as a whole, to me, has become bland and very plain. Hes not even the "Phenomenal One" anymore to me.. hes just "some guy" these days. He hasn't done anything worth caring about, except for the Frontline storyline - in which he lost the majority of the time he got any type of Main Event shot at something.

Now then.. as for the Sting storyline, I'm possibly putting the "cart" before the "horse", but I'm being lead to believe Styles may be turning heel on Sting - and being once again put over by an "Icon" from this Business, to yet again try and get Styles some recognition. The real question is.. once again.. even when/if Styles can defeat Sting in a Bound for Glory/"Wrestlemania" type setting.. WILL.. PEOPLE.. BELIEVE.. IT!?

I say no.

I couldn't disagree more, Will. Sure, Styles is loved by the fans first and foremost for his absolutely sick spots and athleticism, but there isn't anyone in TNA that is as loved as much as him.

The problem with AJ is that, well... there isn't a problem with AJ. It's not like they've been failing to put him over - he is unquestionably the most over person in the company by a country mile. Shit, even his mic work is better than 90% of the company, including Sting.

It's not a case of AJ missing opportunities; it's a case of TNA missing opportunities. If they put the belt on AJ Styles, the wrestling world would drown in its own semen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back