• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

After all... What was the point of Foley's reign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisgod

I'm a mark so what?
Well... first of all I'm not a big TNA fan and I'm obviously not an expert on this, but just last week I watched Impact! (or whatever is called) and the final build up for their PPV...

I've heard and read a lot of people saying that Foley was about to put someone younger over... and that would be his legacy as TNA chamipon, because we know good ol' Mick is capable of doing that (Triple H, Edge, Orton anyone?)...

Instead of that, now Kurt Angle is TNA champion again, Samoa Joe just turned, and foley's reign is over...

Please help me understand what was accomplished with Foley being TNA champ for a few months...

1. Ratings Boost??? don't think so, ratings have been almost the same during the whole year...

2. Quality main event matches? mmmm... Foley is not exactly what people call a "mat expert"... funny I think, entertaining for sure, but rather glorified spotfests than huge 5 star classics

3. Putting someone new or younger over... well... not that Kurt Angle is a terrible choice as champion, but did he needed that?

4. Return Foley to active wrestlers list? don't think so... that was just a temporary thing and everybody knew that...

5. Storyline value? well, it maybe later has more sense, but it remains to be seen...

6. Adding prestige to the title by placing it on someone famous? from a past-his-prime, out of shape, part time wrestler? Really?

I sometimes like TNA matches, but I think their storylines and title reigns sometimes doesn't make any sense...

it was for Foleys own glorification. They just wanted to add the TNA world title to his legacy. every wwe guy that leaves and comes over, with the exception of Booker T, has been awarded a TNA title match, and won.

So it was just for Foley's personal gain.

I agree with jbowling in a way. I think giving Foley the TNA title was a way to reward him for coming over to TNA. We all know Mick's not going to be a full-time wrestler anymore, so no one expected him to hold on to the belt for an extended period of time. Same goes for Jeff Jarrett. This may have been promised to Mick when he came to TNA. I figured the belt would change hands at Slammiversary.

Or, maybe Mick was just a transitional champ until they could either figure out who to put the strap with or to give some guys time to heal or build up angles involving the belt. Or that Mick didn't want to drop the belt clean to anyone and Jarrett didn't want it, which is why it changed hands in KOTM. I figured it would be either Joe or Angle that won the belt, but I do admit that I did not think they're swerve us with Joe and Angle joining up.

I agree he was champion to put a faction over? wow waste of time as seeing they were already over, unless this was there way of bringing in Tazz but anyone could have held the title to make them look good in the end,
and JBowling is right everyone but Booker T, Shannon Moore and as far as I can remember Jeff Hardy didnt win it either but he had a few TNA ttle matches, but everone wins it, so it was just to make him happy

i think he was just a transitional champ to set up kurt angle vs sting for control of the main event mafia and the belt.

although i don't watch tna and am basing that on nothing. but that is what i think it is. sting is going to be like hey, kurt, i didn't say samoa joe could be in the club, wtf? and kurt angle will be like oh i'm the champion. let's fight.

make sense? mick foley = ultimate transitional champ.

Well he is my opinion. They gave foley the title to show how he abused the rules. The only reason he had the title was to further a jaret/foley fued that dosn't need the tle. He got it for that dumb fued, not to put a young over because lets face it theres no one main event ready thats young since joe and styles were already champs. The curve where joe switch could be just a way to destroy from the inside. I see this as just a way to further the joe and main event mafia fued. Looks like the belt has been used as a prop for fueds. I thin its a nice fued set up but the belt has no legit value

Does it really matter? What is the point of anyone's title reign? To show they are the best. Foley clearly showed that (kayfabe-wise) in the title matches he did compete in.

And besides, I honestly prefer Mick Foley as champion to yet another boring-ass Sting reign or Kurt Angle reign. Just because Foley's title reign went nowhere doesn't make it his fault or some kind of ego-stroke---it's just the natural TNA way to completely drop a great opportunity and proceed to slip on it, like dropping a box full of eggs, then slipping all over them and smearing them on the floor.

there's no chance he was promised the title when he signed. I remember when he signed wrestlezone reported (i believe) that it was for 6 months and was a non-wrestling role. Perhaps he signed an extension (it's past 6 months) that garunteed a title. But he was not thinking wrestling when he first signed, let alone title.

So TNA can have that on their list of champions. That's all it was. The "TNA" title history is still in infantry and to have a name like Foley adds some prestige. It also seems like a slap to WWE as to say "hey you made this guy a commentator and we made him a champion". Since the Smackdown commentators all leave for TNA maybe Todd Grisham will be revealed as Suicide instead of Kaz

Nothing more than nostalgia. Foley wrestled what, two matches as champion? he didn't win either of them as one wsa the dumbest stipulation I've ever seen: a fatal four way where he literally could have waited for the bell to ring then jump into his car and leave the arena and not lose the title. Last night's match was a way for him to save face as champion and still lose the title. It was awful because it made no sense at all for him to have the belt. He's old and out of shape. Sure he's a good person to have on the roster as an authority figure or commentator, but damn he has no business being in the ring as a regular performer. This was to make people have fond Attitude Era memories and nothing more than that. It wasn't going to be long term ever, and it was a way to make you think the Mafia was gone when they never were.

It also seems like a slap to WWE as to say "hey you made this guy a commentator and we made him a champion". Since the Smackdown commentators all leave for TNA maybe Todd Grisham will be revealed as Suicide instead of Kaz

How good does that sound for the TNA title? you mean "aah well, your useless, old, has-been, glorified stuntman, fat ass commentator makes a good champion material for us!!!" come on, TNA deserves better than that... I can not deny that Foley indeed means something to wrestling world, that he is a Legend of the business (hardcore or not), and that he might be more entertaining as a wrestler and on the mic than half the rosters of TNA and WWE together... but the fact is that he was pitching ideas to writers in WWE because he wanted to wrestle more often, but there is really no big interest in watching him... if he at least puts someone over after a feud (like Edge around WM 22) then it's al worth it. If he drops the title to someone as big and as over as Kurt Angle then it's just pointless...

Nothing more than nostalgia. Foley wrestled what, two matches as champion? he didn't win either of them as one wsa the dumbest stipulation I've ever seen: a fatal four way where he literally could have waited for the bell to ring then jump into his car and leave the arena and not lose the title. Last night's match was a way for him to save face as champion and still lose the title. It was awful because it made no sense at all for him to have the belt. He's old and out of shape. Sure he's a good person to have on the roster as an authority figure or commentator, but damn he has no business being in the ring as a regular performer. This was to make people have fond Attitude Era memories and nothing more than that. It wasn't going to be long term ever, and it was a way to make you think the Mafia was gone when they never were.

Yeah and I completly agree with you, but what I meant with this thread was to see if someone noticed any benefit that TNA or someone could cash in from Foley being champion...

As dumb as it sounds, WWE benefited from "Trump buying raw" angle, the ratings went up last week and almost for sure will go up this one...

But in this one I can't see anyone getting something good out of this, just Foley and his ego maybe...

it was for Foleys own glorification. They just wanted to add the TNA world title to his legacy. every wwe guy that leaves and comes over, with the exception of Booker T, has been awarded a TNA title match, and won.

So it was just for Foley's personal gain.

I don't think that's true. Judging by Foley's books, and interviews, he doesn't seem like a guy who craves titles or anything like that. TNA may have given it to him as a thank you for going to TNA, but I doubt he was just like "HEY GUYS GIVE ME THE BELT!"

This has to go down as one of the stupidest threads I've read this year. The original question is daft enough in its self, but the lack of intelligence and colossal levels of "lets bash TNA for the sake of it" displayed in the replies is enough to validate anybody is inverting the meaning of the S in smarks.

To deal with the opening question, what Mick Foley's title reign was "for", the short answer would be "fuck all". Nothing in wrestling is "for" anything. People who get a self gratuitous kick out of analysing stuff like to pretend that there's some huge overarching logic behind professional wrestling. There isn't. The only purpose each show holds is to build towards the next pay per view, after which the process begins again. If the shows are good, people will keep watching. If they suck, they will tune out.

Foley's title reign was short, and made for some of the better television TNA has produced since they first began the Main Event Mafia angle. Foley's segments are as good as or better than at any point in the past, and a few months with him as the focal point of the show kept things fresh, interesting and entertaining. To whichever tool it was pointed out that the ratings haven't increased, I say "No shit Sherlock". Go look though the ratings for RAW, Smackdown or Impact for the past five years and find me a single occasion where somebody being on or off television can be shows to have an effect on the viewing numbers.

On the whole I hate making generalizations about the IWC, since I'm fully aware that I'm a part of it. That being said, a lot of members of the IWC have an utterly antiquated idea of what it means to draw. This isn't the era of Lou Thesz, name value draws so much less in this day and age. Each superstar in the industry can be seen week after week after week on free television. People can watch HHH or Kurt Angle whenever they please. Names don't draw on free TV. What draws is the product. Nobody watches TNA because they like Mick Foley, they watch TNA because they like TNA (or because there a moron who wants to complain about it on the internet). When the product is consistently good then ratings very slowly increase, when it is consistently bad, the same happens to other way.
It's really not much more complicated than that.

Now, to deal with the point about Foley putting somebody over. Personally I'm quite sure he's going to. I think his next feud is with Jarret over control of the company, then if they're smart they'll stick him against Angle, because Angle makes people look good, and then they can have him put somebody over.

The negative cattle came close to hitting this one in their ranting, but never quite put two and two together, so I'll explain. When Mick Foley came to TNA he hadn't wrestled in some time. He was coming off the back of an extended period as a colour commentator, and I couldn't even begin to tell you when he last won a match.
Now who is Matt Morgan or Hernandez of whoever going to get a better rub off of? Mick Foley the broken down commentator who never wins, or Mick Foley the deranged former TNA champion who's spent the past six months going toe to toe with the main eventers?
It's a simple question.

So to summarise, Foley brought entertianment value (and incidentally a feud with Sting that was masterfully done and that a lot of people wanted to see) to TNA, which is all anybody ever brings. If you think that TNA are going to jump two points in rating over a couple of months then you're an idiot. If you think that Foley as champion is somehow going to discredit the championship then you're an idiot. If I actually read your post in this thread then you're probably an idiot...

A pattern emerges.

Mick's reign was a puzzling one. I mean he feuded with Jeff Jarrett and beat up a cardboard cutout of Rocky. Nothing eventful really happened. Kurt Angle I believe will be a great champion as he has always been whenever he has held a championship in his career. I believe the fallout of Slammiversary will start a feud between Joe and AJ.

I'm not sure what is next for Foley however, his reign was as uneventful as CM Punk's first title reign in WWE and lasted longer. I think if he regains his head and does the business character he will be fine as long as he leaves Rocky at home.

This has to go down as one of the stupidest threads I've read this year. The original question is daft enough in its self, but the lack of intelligence and colossal levels of "lets bash TNA for the sake of it" displayed in the replies is enough to validate anybody is inverting the meaning of the S in smarks.

Well, you just contributed to get this stupid thread even bigger, which in my eyes is good, I just wanted people to comment... and no, this is not just a "lets bash TNA for the sake of it", or at least from me it was not meant to be... I'm not a regular TNA follower, I just find TNA too heavy in promos but that was not part of the discussion.

Now on the other side I would like to answer some of your sentences...

To deal with the opening question, what Mick Foley's title reign was "for", the short answer would be "fuck all". Nothing in wrestling is "for" anything.
WRONG! Everything in wrestling is "for" something... every single promo, vignette, gimmick, title (even if it's a stupid belt-shaped metal prop), match... everything is suposed to have a meaning... there is why you have "angles" and "storylines"... sometimes the outcome is just stupid, but that does not mean that the action wasn't suposed to have a meaning...

People who get a self gratuitous kick out of analysing stuff like to pretend that there's some huge overarching logic behind professional wrestling. There isn't. The only purpose each show holds is to build towards the next pay per view, after which the process begins again.

I repeat, I'm not a TNA regular fan, and I just wanted to know if anyone found more logic on this short title reign, as there are a lot of people thinking than TNA booking and storylines are way better than WWE's current... I find them pair to say the least... Maybe I expected some TNA expert (as you seem to be) to say something more interesting like "well because the angle will move in a Foley vs. MEM storyline and foley will recruit some Ex-ECW wrestlers and all of them will have an electrified cage match at lockdown (that's the name of a TNA PPV right?)"

If the shows are good, people will keep watching. If they suck, they will tune out.

Which you should have done if you didn't like this thread... just ignore it...

Foley's title reign was short, and made for some of the better television TNA has produced since they first began the Main Event Mafia angle. Foley's segments are as good as or better than at any point in the past, and a few months with him as the focal point of the show kept things fresh, interesting and entertaining.

I never said it was boring... hell I'm pretty sure I said Mick Foley is funny AND entertaining... on the other hand, how is it that dropping the title to Angle, who was TNA Champ not more than 6-8 months ago is "fresh"?

To whichever tool it was pointed out that the ratings haven't increased, I say "No shit Sherlock". Go look though the ratings for RAW, Smackdown or Impact for the past five years and find me a single occasion where somebody being on or off television can be shows to have an effect on the viewing numbers.

An easy one... just check the last 2 returns of John Cena to Raw... it increased HALF A POINT of Nielsen ratings in both cases compared to the previous week... HALF A FUCKING POINT! I know that Cena is the biggest draw in WWE and can't be compared with a guy whose better years where like 9 years ago... but it happens, and for sure it did not happen with Foley...

On the whole I hate making generalizations about the IWC, since I'm fully aware that I'm a part of it. That being said, a lot of members of the IWC have an utterly antiquated idea of what it means to draw. This isn't the era of Lou Thesz, name value draws so much less in this day and age.

Maybe you can update me in that concept, because the last time I checked it was when the audience care about the wrestler... Foley draws without a doubt, and if I had a wrestling promotion I maybe using him in main events... but then again... that was never part of the discussion...
Also, if names mean less and less so please explain me how is it possible to sell a ton of Jeff Hardy or Undertaker t-shirts, and nobody cares about I don't know, a t-shirt that has the face of SHANE DOUGLAS in it?

Each superstar in the industry can be seen week after week after week on free television. People can watch HHH or Kurt Angle whenever they please. Names don't draw on free TV. What draws is the product. Nobody watches TNA because they like Mick Foley, they watch TNA because they like TNA (or because there a moron who wants to complain about it on the internet).

That's why I don't regulary watch TNA or post in threads I don't care about... I just got the last 2 impacts and had the opportunity to watch the last PPV so I did it... and it was fun and stuff, they have a somehow different of booking from what I'm used to see (WWE), and as I said, expected a bit more of a "knowledge sharing" from TNA fans in these forums...

When the product is consistently good then ratings very slowly increase, when it is consistently bad, the same happens to other way.
It's really not much more complicated than that.

And just quoting someone "NO SHIT SHERLOCK"

Now, to deal with the point about Foley putting somebody over. Personally I'm quite sure he's going to. I think his next feud is with Jarret over control of the company, then if they're smart they'll stick him against Angle, because Angle makes people look good, and then they can have him put somebody over.

Then again, nor Angle or Jarret need the rub... they are already considered big TNA stars, and Angle even bigger... adding someone else to be put over with the help of this 3, while all of them being in a feud over the title plus control of the company, with someone that doesn't have anything to do in this feud sound a bit complex to me...

Now who is Matt Morgan or Hernandez of whoever going to get a better rub off of? Mick Foley the broken down commentator who never wins, or Mick Foley the deranged former TNA champion who's spent the past six months going toe to toe with the main eventers?
It's a simple question.

So this means he will continue in a regular wrestling role and the announcer are going to say "ohhh Matt Morgan just beat Foley, who by the way is a former TNA champion" I just don't find the difference between doing that now than doing it las sunday when he had the title on his hands...

So to summarise, Foley brought entertianment value (and incidentally a feud with Sting that was masterfully done and that a lot of people wanted to see) to TNA, which is all anybody ever brings. If you think that TNA are going to jump two points in rating over a couple of months then you're an idiot. If you think that Foley as champion is somehow going to discredit the championship then you're an idiot. If I actually read your post in this thread then you're probably an idiot...

You are free to have an opinion and red rep if you want, and if that makes you happy, good for me... the truth is that I have yet to read a post from someone that thinks it was wise to place the title in Foley and then having Kurt Angle taking it from him... and explains why this is the best option TNA can run with...

that and... Thanks for the flaming anyways!

TNA seems to give most wrestlers from the WWE that jump ship the title within the year that they debut thinking that it will be a huge draw and WWE fans the victim list is Team 3d, Kurt Angle, Captain Charisma Christian Cage, Booker T, Mick Foley, and Rhino. Their ratings have been abysmal, and giving former WWE wrestlers the title isn't working. It seems that TNA thinks that hiring WWE wrestlers is somehow an insult to the WWE and giving them the title within the year is like saying "We gave them the tile because you wouldn't" In Mick Foley's case, the past 6 years he was in the WWE, he wasn't even wrestling for the title. He was wrestling to keep his "hardcore" legacy alive. He was already retired by HHH and came back as like 3 other guys, Cactus Jack, Dude Love, and Mankind. No other wrestler has come back as schizophrenic as he has. All of his personas were even in the Royal Rumble some years back.
IMO I have never been a Mick fan. I really don't see how he was brought back to the WWE. TNA thinks giving him a hollow title run is a big draw? more like big mistake.

I didn't see the point of his reign whatsoever. I thought he was going to give the rub to somebody preferrably Styles or a returning Hernandez. I don't think he should have gotten it in the first place. Just like most of the recent TNA reigns, it's nothing to remember and will be easily forgotten.

TNA seems to give most wrestlers from the WWE that jump ship the title within the year that they debut thinking that it will be a huge draw and WWE fans the victim list is Team 3d, Kurt Angle, Captain Charisma Christian Cage, Booker T, Mick Foley, and Rhino. Their ratings have been abysmal, and giving former WWE wrestlers the title isn't working. It seems that TNA thinks that hiring WWE wrestlers is somehow an insult to the WWE and giving them the title within the year is like saying "We gave them the tile because you wouldn't" In Mick Foley's case, the past 6 years he was in the WWE, he wasn't even wrestling for the title. He was wrestling to keep his "hardcore" legacy alive. He was already retired by HHH and came back as like 3 other guys, Cactus Jack, Dude Love, and Mankind. No other wrestler has come back as schizophrenic as he has. All of his personas were even in the Royal Rumble some years back.
IMO I have never been a Mick fan. I really don't see how he was brought back to the WWE. TNA thinks giving him a hollow title run is a big draw? more like big mistake.

Abysmal ratings? They get a consistant 1.2-1.3 rating. That is pretty good. Is it WWE no and they aren't trying to be. They sign people that they feel will help their company. I just wish you people that bash TNA for picking up Free Agents would bash WWE for doing the same because they have taken Christian, Ron Killings, Gail Kim, and Chris Harris as well as several stars from the Indy's. The WWE are not strangers to picking up castoffs. Kind of hypocritical to talk about one company negatively for doing the same things the company you like does don't you think?

If I remember correctly Christian was a pretty darn good champion for them as has been Angle and the Dudley's. I wasn't around when Rhino was champ but I hear he did pretty well. Booker has never been champ and neither has Nash.

Well, you just contributed to get this stupid thread even bigger, which in my eyes is good, I just wanted people to comment... and no, this is not just a "lets bash TNA for the sake of it", or at least from me it was not meant to be... I'm not a regular TNA follower, I just find TNA too heavy in promos but that was not part of the discussion.

A logical objection. Personally I prefer their system to the WWE's refusal to allow midcard talent any reasonable stick time, but like you say, that's a separate discussion.

Now on the other side I would like to answer some of your sentences...

Good. That's what I'm here for.

WRONG! Everything in wrestling is "for" something... every single promo, vignette, gimmick, title (even if it's a stupid belt-shaped metal prop), match... everything is suposed to have a meaning... there is why you have "angles" and "storylines"... sometimes the outcome is just stupid, but that does not mean that the action wasn't suposed to have a meaning...

You have angles and story lines because otherwise it is impossible to run monthly pay per views with the same list of guys, doing a pretend sport. UFC would fall flat if it tired to maintain a wrestling schedule with such a limited roster. The stories in wrestling are much like the plots in opera; just there to fill time until the next song.
Lets not kid ourselves, there's no intelligence or depth behind a wrestling storyline. People looking for that will watch Lost or 24. The stories are "just" a tool to facilitate the wrestling.

I repeat, I'm not a TNA regular fan, and I just wanted to know if anyone found more logic on this short title reign, as there are a lot of people thinking than TNA booking and storylines are way better than WWE's current... I find them pair to say the least... Maybe I expected some TNA expert (as you seem to be) to say something more interesting like "well because the angle will move in a Foley vs. MEM storyline and foley will recruit some Ex-ECW wrestlers and all of them will have an electrified cage match at lockdown (that's the name of a TNA PPV right?)"

Sorry, if that's your idea of an intelligent post then you'll be disappointed with what I produce. I don't go in for ignorant speculation much, I just apply knowledge and logic to a situation. Generally goes down pretty well.

Which you should have done if you didn't like this thread... just ignore it...

Up until this point I was going to give you some green rep as a reward for serving as an intellectual exercise, but unfortunately I've just placed you as one of those people who throws a suck when somebody disagrees with you. I have no problem with the thread, it just happens to be stupid. If all you want is people bouncing up and down saying "great thread" then somewhere else might be your best bet.

I never said it was boring... hell I'm pretty sure I said Mick Foley is funny AND entertaining... on the other hand, how is it that dropping the title to Angle, who was TNA Champ not more than 6-8 months ago is "fresh"?

See this is what I just don't get. Mick Foley is funny and entertaining, why not have him as champion? The purpose of the show is to entertain us enough that we buy the pay per view.

An easy one... just check the last 2 returns of John Cena to Raw... it increased HALF A POINT of Nielsen ratings in both cases compared to the previous week... HALF A FUCKING POINT! I know that Cena is the biggest draw in WWE and can't be compared with a guy whose better years where like 9 years ago... but it happens, and for sure it did not happen with Foley...

Capitalisation and vulgarity. Both very valid debating tools; however you have to be able to back them up, otherwise you look like a tool.
John Cena made a surprise injury return at the 08 Royal Rumble, and the next nights Raw did indeed go up by 0.4
However; next weeks Raw wend down by 0.3, and the week after that it dropped to bellow the point at which Cena returned.
Not only that, but if you actually look at the ratings, you'll see that equal fluctuations happened no fewer than NINE times during 2007. That's not far off of 20% of shows showing a fluctuation of 0.4 or higher.

Cena's return marked a change in the product and as such, had it affected the ratings, it would have provided a sustained increase. Which it did not. A one week fluctuation is more likely to come off of something like "is there a good football match on another channel", "are people tuning in to see who won the royal rumble" (you have to go back to 2003 to find an occasion where ratings didn't pop following the Rumble) and most importantly "luck".

Maybe you can update me in that concept, because the last time I checked it was when the audience care about the wrestler... Foley draws without a doubt, and if I had a wrestling promotion I maybe using him in main events... but then again... that was never part of the discussion...
Also, if names mean less and less so please explain me how is it possible to sell a ton of Jeff Hardy or Undertaker t-shirts, and nobody cares about I don't know, a t-shirt that has the face of SHANE DOUGLAS in it?

Because merchandise is completely separate to TV ratings? Ray Mysterio sells a phenomenal amount of merchandise, but you wont see WWE building the show around him these days.

I really don't think you understand the point of the show. If you concede that Foley draws, and that he's entertaining, and that he should be in the main event, then why the hell do you have an issue with him being champion. Perhaps if you worked on articulating your objection a little better I would be able to explain it to you, but right now I'm seriously struggling to see what on earth your complaining about.

That's why I don't regulary watch TNA or post in threads I don't care about... I just got the last 2 impacts and had the opportunity to watch the last PPV so I did it... and it was fun and stuff, they have a somehow different of booking from what I'm used to see (WWE), and as I said, expected a bit more of a "knowledge sharing" from TNA fans in these forums...

TNA uses almost exactly the same strategy as WWE. Then try to put on entertaining TV shows to get people to buy even more entertaining pay per views. That's it. I think you think that there's some greater logic behind it, but there isn't. Entertain the viewer. Sell the pay per view. That's it. It's not like 24 or Dexter which constantly build to a conclusion. Professional wrestling is an infinite loop, going over and over and over again.

And just quoting someone "NO SHIT SHERLOCK"

Lame.

Then again, nor Angle or Jarret need the rub... they are already considered big TNA stars, and Angle even bigger... adding someone else to be put over with the help of this 3, while all of them being in a feud over the title plus control of the company, with someone that doesn't have anything to do in this feud sound a bit complex to me...

Err... what?

So this means he will continue in a regular wrestling role and the announcer are going to say "ohhh Matt Morgan just beat Foley, who by the way is a former TNA champion" I just don't find the difference between doing that now than doing it las sunday when he had the title on his hands...

Read your own thread. Look out for the people yapping about how Foley is a former commentator and how terrible it is that he's in the main event given how washed up he is. Do you think if he came straight in and started putting people over, you wouldn't have twice as many people going "So Matt Morgan beat Foley. Everyone beats Foley".

Secondly, TNA got quite a pop out of bringing Foley in. People wanted to see him in the main event. If he'd come in and jobbed to a bunch of young guys, could they then have packaged him as credible opposition to Sting, Angle and the like. If you look back to Booker T, when he joined TNA he was pushed straight into an extended feud with Robert Roode, and the result was a swift loss of all the momentum he came into the company with.

Foley can make a young guy look good at any point, but he can't job to a rookie one month, then main event the next. Get what mileage out of him you can in the main event (which is what his championship reign was "for") and then let him push someone if someone needs pushing.

Which is another point. Who should Foley be pushing. AJ and Joe are already in the main event. Morgan has a program. Supermex is out injured. Who else is there? You don't push someone to the main event for the sake of it. That's not you to run an effective program. You push somebody in the main event when you need someone fresh in the main event. Now Angle still has a few programs that he can work, as do Jarret, Foley and potentially Lashley. Right now there's not much space at the top, so why waste it?

You are free to have an opinion and red rep if you want, and if that makes you happy, good for me... the truth is that I have yet to read a post from someone that thinks it was wise to place the title in Foley and then having Kurt Angle taking it from him... and explains why this is the best option TNA can run with...

that and... Thanks for the flaming anyways!

My god, you're actually sulking. This is a forum to debate wrestling. People will disagree with your posts. Debate back if you don't like it, don't whine at them.

Very few title reigns mean anything anymore other than to set up a fued between two guys that can lead to a PPV match that means nothing.

If you think titles mean otherwise you are deluded.

Personally it's nice for him to be recognised again briefly as a huge contribution to the sport. As for being a wrestler anymore, he never was a wrestler he was a daredevil who could talk up a storm on the mic and get huge pops.

He was one of the most entertaining men in wrestling history period. And had the ability to be beliveable as both face or heel. Ulass those days are long gone.

It should just be a few match deal then go to commentary and replace Don West.

What was the point in Foley's reign? It got ratings, when he won the belt the ratings shot up for a few weeks, heck for two days more people were looking at the TNA section of this forum more than the WWE section. Everyone was talking about it...Foley winning the belt made the casual wrestling fan care a bit about TNA.

Pretty much every suggestion possible has been explained.
My personal opinion is for ratings... Not in a way that they're trying to get new people to watch, but rather they were trying to get wrestling fans who watch it casually but are still big fans of wrestling and are big fans of WWE. Like myself, actually.
What will draw WWE fans and general wrestling fans to watch TNA? Have one of the most beloved WWE superstars of all time win their top prize. They wouldn't have been able to do that to quite the same effect with Kurt Angle. While Kurt was more successful in WWE, Foley was arguably more loved by the fans.
Hell, I, one of TNA's biggest critics, even began to watch TNA regularly again for a couple of weeks. But then they did the segment where Foley had a "fight" with "Rocky" and I decided I still couldn't watch this company regularly.

I think what was supposed to be a big milestone in drawing formerly uninterested wrestling fans to watch TNA ended up as a waste of time due to bad booking on TNA's behalf.

Least during that time WWE didn't do WCW's mistake of making fun of Foley as champ and saying he won on there live broadcast which ended in a large chunk of the TV audience turning over to RAW :)

Well if the shows were on at the same time that is :)

Mick Foley is one of the biggest names in wrestling today and if he´s in your company I suggest you make him champion and therefore the face of your company.

Foley draws WWE audience and that means more international attention for TNA.
More attention might result in more money which can be invested in other big names, who once again draw attention and so on ... and so on.

Foley + title = Audience = Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back