AFL 2009 thread

Sparky

Master of the Aussie kiss
here it is again hopefully better then the last one.

It won't be long now until the Footy starts back up again. but until then talk about the goss and not the matches. one of the biggest stories in the AFL at the moment is Ben Cousins playing for richmond. should they off gave him a chance or not.

Personally i thinjk they shouldnt off. he wasnt really that great in the first place. then he fucks up something that big and gets suspended for what feels like forever only to come back and play. Richmond really needed something to help them pick up their game but this aint it. this is the worse thing they could possible do. i give him to June before he fucks up again. whats everybody elses opinion on this?

I think you mean Ben Cousins. Chris Judd is still playing for Carlton and isn't a screwup at all. Anyway, Cousins is a disgrace. He gets suspended twice for taking drugs during the season, comes back from rehab a year later and none of the clubs wanted him. Not because he isn't a good player, but because he's too risky. He's like the Jeff Hardy of the AFL, only more risky. It took Richmond quite a while to pick him up though, because even they weren't sure about him.

I doubt he'd be stupid enough to screw up again. And if he does, then there's no way he's getting another chance to play Footy again. He's past his prime in my opinion and really won't make a difference to the Richmond squad, which has been shit for a number of years now. It should be an interesting season nonetheless, and I really have no idea which team will take home the Premiership.

Go Crows!

Ben Cousins. The story's changed so many times now for him. NEvertheless, I have a lot of friends who are Richmond fans, and i've asked them what they think of him. For the most part, they're glad they have a great player on their side, and they're hoping he'll help them get into the final 8 this year. But also they're worried that maybe he could influence the rest of the guys at Richmond, particularly some of the younger guys, and he might put them off their game or something similar.

Anyway, my opinion on this. I think he will make a difference to the Richmond side, as it seems as though they've been missing that one key player to bring the team together properly. And he won't screw up again, because if he does, he's a fucking moron. He's lucky to have been given the chance to come back to the AFL and like Rusty said, nobody wanted him. He was lucky to get a spot in Richmond, and I hope he can help the team out.

My predictions for the year ahead:Last year, Geelong were unstoppable and everyone thought they would win the Grand Final, but now the Hawks are leading into 2009 as the premiers. LEts see whether they can hold onto their spot up the top of the ladder, and with a number of great players in Buddy Franklin, Cyril Rioli, just to name a few, I think they will. I might be a bit biased because i'm a Doggies fan, but I ay its the Bulldogs year. They were in the top 3 last year, and were so close to getting into the Grnad Final. If they work on their accuracy, there's no stopping them.

Ben Cousins. The story's changed so many times now for him. NEvertheless, I have a lot of friends who are Richmond fans, and i've asked them what they think of him. For the most part, they're glad they have a great player on their side
:lmao: one good player aint going to help Richmond. they need to rethink all of the players except Richo.
and they're hoping he'll help them get into the final 8 this year.
I see them falling nineth yet again Lol they are like Jeff Hardy always reaching, just coming short. so in a couple of years they will get there but not this year.
But also they're worried that maybe he could influence the rest of the guys at Richmond, particularly some of the younger guys, and he might put them off their game or something similar.
Yeah i think this will happen as well, they already fucked up a couple of years ago when they lost there biggest sponser. due to one of the players drink driivng.

Anyway, my opinion on this. I think he will make a difference to the Richmond side, as it seems as though they've been missing that one key player to bring the team together properly. And he won't screw up again, because if he does, he's a fucking moron.
Oh he will fuck up. its just a matter of when.
He's lucky to have been given the chance to come back to the AFL and like Rusty said, nobody wanted him. He was lucky to get a spot in Richmond, and I hope he can help the team out.
I really hope that its the other way and Richmond helps him out. it would be sad if he ended up dead or something.

:lmao: one good player aint going to help Richmond. they need to rethink all of the players except Richo. I see them falling nineth yet again Lol they are like Jeff Hardy always reaching, just coming short. so in a couple of years they will get there but not this year
Whatever you think, Richmond have got a pretty good team as it is, and Cousins will definately help them out and probably help to get Richmond working together better than they have been. And he will help get them in the finals this year. You just wait and see.

Oh he will fuck up. its just a matter of when.
You see, I really don't think he's stupid enough to screw up again. He saw what happened last time when he used drugs, and he doesn't want that to happen again. He should be greatful that the AFL have even given him a chance to come back.
I really hope that its the other way and Richmond helps him out. it would be sad if he ended up dead or something
Well hopefully they hep each other out. Cousins stays off the drugs, and Richmond gets into the finals. Everyone's happy.

@ sparky (1)= Since when is a brownlow medalist a bad player?

@Rusty= How is Ben Cousins a Disgrace. The first time he was caught red handed he payed for it and now it's over and done with. The second time he was not charged with possion of drugs so therefore he did not have drugs, therefore the Eagles are ******ed and released him for nothing!

@sparky(2) Since when was Mchamon ( how everr you spell it , help me here tim he played for bully's) and foley and Nathan Brown bad players. They have a well talented team and will make it into 7-5th spot on the ladder with ease. maybe top 4 if they are extremely lucky.

Anyways as i said before teh top 4 and bottom 4 will end up like this.

TOP.
1) Bulldogs/Hawks
2)Hawks/dogs/Roo's
3)Roo's
4)Cats

BOTTOM
13) Eagles
14)Freo
15) Bombers
16) Demons =(

For the Eagles. Natuni wasn't there pick. COxy is in his prime and unless Nat is gonna build muscle he has know spot because he will be playing Half forward i am pretty sure. Freo fucked up by not picking Rich. He is a great player and will be a dual Brownlow Medalist i reckon. saints will be my wildcard for the cup and the brownlow will go to non-other than Jonhathon brown. He jsut has to win it someday.

Not long now Fellow Australians. The NAb cup starts soon. To get this thread back onto the first page....

Should the AFL scrap the Ocean training? in the last two months there has been a few accidents due to the Ocean training. with the biggest one prolly being the guy that got stung by the sting ray. I think they should scrap it, whats the difference in doing it htere and doing it in a pool that don't have heating? its alot less dangerous as there is no sea life that can attack them, and they run less risk of getting sick. so scrap it or not?

Ocean training, I think that the players should get to choose whether they do it in a pool or in the ocean, as some will want to keep doing it in the ocean. And some people might say that the waves make a difference, no matter how small they are. People will find differences and argue to stay in the ocean if that's what they prefer. And I can't see the AFL getting rid of it either, it's been a part of the AFL for a while and they won't get rid of it.

I figured, seeing there is more Australians on this site now I should bump this back up seeing the season commences soon.

:( I'm not looking forward to this season at all. I can't remember the last time that somebody won the nab cup, and did well during the proper season. but I really think (maybe cos I'm a geelong supporter lol) that the cats just might have a chance.

Who is your early prediction for the grand final? please post why.

I think that (more like hope) It will be a rematch against Hawthorn and Geelong. Both sides are going great now, Hawthorn has to prove to the world (and the tasmanian fucking tax payers) that they are not just once trick ponies. and Geelong has to prove that they are. Both are strong sides, easilly the two best teams in the AFL, and can really see them dominating the season. with at the most two or three losses between them.

Discuss.

Straight up. I'm not the biggest fan of aerial ping pong, as it can get a bit boring in my opinion. But it's still alright, sometimes anyway, if the matches stay close (which they don't always tend to).

The Ben Cousins thing was still big enough, even here in QLD where AFL isn't a huge thing. As having the spotlight dictates, those there are role-models, whether they like it or not. That's a slightly different issue though.

Anyway, I go for the Lions (obviously). Not that we tend to do well or anything, but if there's one thing to spark my interest in AFL it'd be them making it into the GF. Which I doubt they will.

So... Tigers just got owned by Carlton. And Ben Cousins tore his hamstring and is out for 4 weeks, or so I believe. Now Tigers are fucked. Carlton's off to a flying start, but remembering this is the first game we'll see what happens. Carlton I think just got lucky and will slip into the middle of the ladder and not do much, and at this point I feel that Richmond will be in their favourite spot again, 9th.

And the Grand Final rematch is almost upon us. I think Geelong will win this time round, coming off of the NAB cup win, they'll be flying. Hawks will put on a good match, but I think Geelong will start off like last year, and start off unstoppable. I think that they will end up losing around the 10th round and go on a losing streak, whereas Hawthorn will pick up and start a winning streak, and become the favourites for the Grand Final. But this is all hypothetical, there's no telling what's going to happen yet.

Not a good start for Richmond most certainly, but to say they are fucked is far far too early after round one and losing Cousins. It was always odds on that Cuz would do a hammy at some stage during the year. I mean out for a season and his last game he basically tore his hammy off the bone for West Coast. Richmond have Geelong at the cattery next week and would have to show a hell of a lot of improvement to even get close.

Cartlon look not bad. Always figured they would be big improvers this year. They were even missing Stevens and Carrazzo two important midfielders. I like the way their forward line worked tonight. Looks a lot better when they dont have to depend on Fev kicking 7 or 8. Much better getting an even spread.

As for the Grand Final replay, well can two teams have more opposite pre seasons? Geelong take out the NAB cup while Hawhtorn go out early and struggle with injuries, even to the point of not having enough players to fill a team against the Crows. I think Geelong win here, but with Hawhtorn you just never know. Buddy fires up and anything can happen.

So Geelong squeak home in the Grand Final replay. Thought it was all done and dusted halfway thru the third quarter, but the Hawks wouldnt give up and Geelong just squeaked home.

Again Geelongs kicking at goal was a disgrace, and nearly cost them the match. I think there will be some kicking practice at training.

Even though they lost I think the game sends a big warning to the rest of the league by the Hawks. The lost narrowly to the flag favourites even though the played 3 debutants and had 7 players missing from teir premiership team, including both key defenders in Gilham and Croad. Plus a number of their players including Luke Hodge were underdone.

I loved the game last night between Hawks and Geelong. When Hawks got the last 4 goals or whatever it was to bring it down to 7 points, I was saying to myself "this is going to be good". Sadly tho they did not win and again Gary Ablett gets all teh credit along with Bartel even tho there were far better players than them. For example Rooke played excellent int he last half, Corey was a beast in the backline and Mooney actually did something. I am not mentioning Scarlett because he did excellent and will get hte credit he deserves.

The blues and Tigers came was fucking shit. That was the worst football I have ever seen from any club. The tigers turned it over about 100 times during the first half and my under 16's football team could probably have done better than what they did. Benny boy tore his Hamstring and I am really disappointed because I am one of the people that liked Ben and hoped he had a great season.

Anyways I am looking forward to my man (Liam anthony) doing greta on the wing for the Roo's and seeig the Eagles win tonight.

Go the Doggies!

I didn't see the Grand Final rematch last night, although I did hear that it was some great football. Buddy did the same as always kicking I think 5 goals. Although I did pick Geelong to win, and I stand by my theory of them flying in the first half of the season and then dropping back. Geelong only seem to do well when there team works together, and like Pippen said Ablett and Bartel will get all the credit even though they didn't do as much as everyone else.

I can't wait for the first Dogs match, obviously since I support them, but I want to see how Shaun Higgins goes in his first Home and Away match in a while, with him being talked up by everyone. He's supposedly in the best form he's ever been in and hopefully he'll be the one to give the Dogs that extra little edge over the rest of the teams and help make this year the Dogs' year. That is if he doesn't get injured. Again.

To be honest Buddy didnt do a hell of a lot until the last quarter. Scarlett again had the best of him, was until Scarlett hurt his ankle that Buddy began to really get into the game and be a worry for the Cats.

Ablett didnt do much? Well his second half was down a bit as Sewell did a terrific job. But juniour did all his damage in the first half, especially in the first quarter when he got something like 15 touches. I agree with Bartel as I am not a huge fan of his. How good was Joel Selwood again? It astonishes me that he went at number 6 in the draft gun, Coey was awesome as per normal.

Well West Coast choked tonight. 38 points up and they allow the Lions to mount a come back and snatch the win. LeCras was brillant kicking 6 goals, but I think they missed McKinley up forward as another target. It was disappoining to see a few players playing that were clearly not fit enough to and should of started in the WAFL namely Embley and Ebert. Also Seaby was atrocious and should be dropped never to return.

Wow, I loved the Geelong, Hawthorn Match. I was soo pumped for it. I had no Idea what i would do if we lost. But, We managed to perform Good enough to take the win. It might not be much, But a win is sstill a fucking win.

At least no the Hawthorn fans will fuck up.

ZOMG, Could you beliave Cousins? the fucking MCG sold out for his return. and he tears his hamstring :lmao: Serves the overratted Bastard right.

I would also love to say WELL FUCKING DONE, to my mate that had his first AFL game on thursday night and kicked three goals. Your doing Aussie well mate. :D.... Not that he will read this.

Ben Cousins overrated? You did not just say that a former Brownlow medalist, champion player and arguably the greatest player to ever put on a West Coast Eagles jumper.

Brownlow medalist, premiership player, 6 time All Australian, Four time best & Fairest, Captain for five years. Overrated? I htink not.

Most of the thoughts of overrated is the media exposure that has been on Richmond and Cousins as he tries to make his comeback. It has gotten so much its sickening.

I think its a shame that he did his hamstring, and I think the Richmond medical staff have a lot to answer for after giving him the all clear at 3 quarter time.

Ben Cousins overrated?
Indeed
You did not just say that a former Brownlow medalist, champion player and arguably the greatest player to ever put on a West Coast Eagles jumper.

Brownlow medalist, premiership player, 6 time All Australian, Four time best & Fairest, Captain for five years. Overrated?
I did.
I htink not.
Check again.
Who cares what he has done in the past. WTF has he done in the last 18 months other then sucking up on TV?

Most of the thoughts of overrated is the media exposure that has been on Richmond and Cousins as he tries to make his comeback. It has gotten so much its sickening.
I agree here. Who gives a shit, that Richmond have him. The only reason the douchebag is playing for the Tigers is because nobody else wanted him. Even Melbourne turned him down. and that is saying something.
I think its a shame that he did his hamstring,
Call me a bastard all you like, but I Legitly Lol'd when I saw that happend.
and I think the Richmond medical staff have a lot to answer for after giving him the all clear at 3 quarter time.
If he thought he couldnt go on, He wouldn't of. Its nobodys fault but his.

IndeedI did.Check again.
Who cares what he has done in the past. WTF has he done in the last 18 months other then sucking up on TV?

I agree here. Who gives a shit, that Richmond have him. The only reason the douchebag is playing for the Tigers is because nobody else wanted him. Even Melbourne turned him down. and that is saying something.
Call me a bastard all you like, but I Legitly Lol'd when I saw that happend. If he thought he couldnt go on, He wouldn't of. Its nobodys fault but his.

Ok so your judging Ben Counsins because he hasn't played over the last 18 months? That means Bret Hart was overrated because he wasn't as good in his last years. Michael Jordan is overrated because he sucked in Washington. You can not say Ben Cousins is overrated because of what he has done recently. History counts as well.

Ok so your judging Ben Counsins because he hasn't played over the last 18 months? That means Bret Hart was overrated because he wasn't as good in his last years. Michael Jordan is overrated because he sucked in Washington. You can not say Ben Cousins is overrated because of what he has done recently. History counts as well.

I couldnt agree with your more. History counts as to whether a player is overrated or not. His situation may be different as to why he missed so much football, but he is just like any other player who has been injured and missed a period of time. Is someone that does their knee overrated because they miss 12 months of football. What if G Ablett does his knee next week and doesnt play again until next year? Next year when he comes back is he overrated? No.

Its quite simply the media exposure on Ben's return. If he was treated like any other player returning to play and their wasnt a story on him in the paper or on the news nearly every single day then it would be ok. But the media coverage on him in the last 2 years has been a disgrace.

To think that no teams wanted him because of his playing ability is naive. The only reason that no team wanted him was because of his off-field antics and behaviour. Collingwood had a PI follow him and decided that they didnt feel he had all his off-field stuff under wraps. That was the only reason teams would not touch him. The only reason. Nothing to do with what he can do on the field, if he was just returning from say a knee injury and was delisted every team in the comp would of been after him. As it was teams had board meetings to see if it was a good thing to pick him up and CEO's were coming out saying they were not going to pick him up, if that doesnt show you the decisions of clubs were not footy related not sure what will.

I couldnt agree with your more. History counts as to whether a player is overrated or not.
Yes, But People are acting as if he deserves to be in the top 50 of all time footballers. There is no way in hell he is that good.
His situation may be different as to why he missed so much football,
Wich is the reason why I think he is overrated.
but he is just like any other player who has been injured and missed a period of time. Is someone that does their knee overrated because they miss 12 months of football.
He wasn't inactive due to an injury though was he? He fucked up big time. Don't get me wrong he deserves a second chance, But he don't deserve all the fame and shit he is getting. whats that immplying to all of our younger Footballers?
What if G Ablett does his knee next week and doesnt play again until next year? Next year when he comes back is he overrated? No.
No He won't be. but if he fucks up like his father did... He would be. Injury's are greatly different then drug offences in any sport.

Its quite simply the media exposure on Ben's return. If he was treated like any other player returning to play and their wasnt a story on him in the paper or on the news nearly every single day then it would be ok. But the media coverage on him in the last 2 years has been a disgrace.
So you are, in some extent Calling him overrated?

Ben Cousins at the moment is overrated. He is being talked about as if he is the saviour of Richmond, and then he goes and screws up his return by tearing his hamstring. He is a very good player, there's no doubting that, but don't you think that maybe he's being talked up a bit? The way he's being talked up, everyone thinks he's the best player in the AFL right now, except for the "god of footy" Gary Ablett, also another guy who's overrated. Cousins shouldn't be getting attention, because for one he doesn't deserve it because of what he did to make him leave the AFL, and because if he didn't have the attention, then he would deserve to be talked up. But being as it is, he hadn't even played one Home and Away match and people were already judging him. I think this first match against the Blues showed that he was a good player, but nowhere as good as he was supposed to be.

I would like to know where Cousins has been talked up as being on of the greatest 50 players ever? I mean it might just be me, and I apologise if it is, but I can't remember ever seeing that. Its more been him coming back from the drugs and not playing for 12 months.

As for the saviour of Richmond, I ahve heard some people say he is and some say he isnt it can be a two way street. My take on it was that Richmond was a good upcoming team at the start of the season. They had an extremely promising midfield Foley, Deledio, Tuck, Johnson, Cotchin, Brown in bursts, White with good leg speed, COughlan if he ever gets back and that Cousins may push a promising young midfield into a very strong one. Which, at least on paper, was something that I agreed with. There start to the season was extremely poor to say the lest. But I wont completely write them off at this stage after 1 week. Yes they will have to improve greatly and play much better football. They play like they did in ROund 1 over the next few weeks then Terry Wallace is a deadman walking.

Not sure why it matters why Cousins missed 12 months of football, especially when saying whether he is overrated or not. His off field stuff has nothing to do with what he has and can do on the field. If that was the case then the players from **insert injunction here** would be overrated as well. Fact of the matter is that if he gets fir and firing he can still be an asset to Richmond and a very good player. Maybe not as good as before but still good.

Also can someone try to explain to me why Gary Ablett is overrated? The guy should of won the last two Brownlow medals and is arguably the best player in the game at this time, and if he isnt the best he is in the top 3.

Anyway dont want to derail this into what Cousins did or how many times he passed gas at training this afternoon. So onto round two.

Adelaide vs St. Kilda
Collingwood vs Melbourne
Geelong vs Richmond
Sydney vs Hawthorn
Carlton vs Brisbane
Essendon vs Fremantle
Western Bulldogs vs North Melbourne
Port Power vs West Coast*

My picks for the round are in bold. * note extreme bias here.

I think the match of the round will be the Bulldogs against the Roos. North have had the wood of the Bullies in the last few years, winning like the last 5 in a row. However I think the Dogs can get the win this week, they looked extremely good last week against Freo and while the trip back from Perth may take its toll I think they can squeak it out.

I am looking for a lot of improvement from the Tiges. They wont beat Geelong. But their fans and the football world in general will be looking for a better effort. I am sure they will play better than last week but might go down by 5-6 goals.

Looking for the Eagles to try and improve on last week. Selwood, Hunter and Brett Jones are back and they are all important players for West Coast and definately in the best 22. I hope Seaby gets the flick as he is a spud. But I am worried about the Powers midsized and small forwards like Motlop, Ebert and Robbie Gray as they have the talent to give the Eagles defenders fits. Hoping to squeeze out a little win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back