• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Addressing the Chants

The Butcher

📶
The biggest story going into last night's edition of Monday Night Raw was the highly anticipated debut of the mysterious Wyatt Family: Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, and Erick Rowan. Perhaps the biggest story coming out of last night's show was how some members of the live audience responded to that debut: by chanting "Husky Harris" (Bray Wyatt's former moniker) at Wyatt after his cohorts assaulted Kane. A lot has been made of those chants, too much in my opinion. Regardless of how I or anyone else feels about it though, the fact remains that this is a hot button issue. I suggest that rather than argue and pit fan against fan, we get creative.

First off, let me say that I believe that this gimmick is good enough to overcome such nonsense, and that the chants will fade rather than grow. Having said that, however, I put forth the hypothetical situation that these chants of "Husky Harris" persist. How would you go about having Bray Wyatt address the "Husky Harris" chants?

I'm not much for fantasy booking, but here's my proposal:

Bray Wyatt would cut an in-ring promo, alone, in which he discusses his genesis. He would, in his unique way, explain to the WWE Universe how he used to be a sheep, but had an awakening and became a shepherd. He could further the religious allusion by talking about dreams, visions, and visitations. This is something he has already done in vignettes, so it would only serve to further his character to talk about prophetic visions and divine intervention.

From there he would talk about how the man he used to be had a family, and how they were sheep. On that cue, Rowan and Harper would emerge from backstage. They would come down the ramp, each holding a leash and leading a man in a black hood, his hands bound. Harper and Rowan would lead the men into the ring and have them kneel before Wyatt. Bray would reach the denouement of his speech (perhaps something along the lines of "lambs to the slaughter"), and then remove the hoods to reveal that the men are none other than Mike "I.R.S" Rotunda and Taylor "Bo Dallas" Rotunda, Wyatt's real life father and brother. Wyatt would then go on to berate them, belittle them, tell them how they're nothing and nothing to him. Then, after verbally assaulting them, he and his new family would beat the hell out of them in a way that pushes the boundaries of WWE's TVPG rating. Bray would kneel over them, and the screen would do that garbled fade-to-commercial that accompanied last night's debut.

As I said, fantasy booking isn't my specialty, but I think that that would be a way for WWE to say, "yes, this character has a past, but no, he doesn't care about it and neither should you." Of course, beating up Bo Dallas might garner him some cheers, but then again it could be a roundabout way to re-debut Dallas to the main roster. Anyway, there's my piece, what do you propose?

I like it, I think them incorporating Bo into their group would work well, they need bigger then the 3 person factions that are so prevalent.

I don't know if I would address the chants. Everybody swore up and down that the Raw after WM 29 crowd made Fandango, then the WWE acknowledged it and in my view killed the Fandango character. They did not let it grow organically and all the reaction to the Fandango character that they had built was gone.

Different situation than Bray's, I know, but I would say relax and don't overreact just yet. If they do react to them, then I have no problem with your hypothetical. I like it and it could work.

The biggest story going into last night's edition of Monday Night Raw was the highly anticipated debut of the mysterious Wyatt Family: Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, and Erick Rowan. Perhaps the biggest story coming out of last night's show was how some members of the live audience responded to that debut: by chanting "Husky Harris" (Bray Wyatt's former moniker) at Wyatt after his cohorts assaulted Kane. A lot has been made of those chants, too much in my opinion. Regardless of how I or anyone else feels about it though, the fact remains that this is a hot button issue. I suggest that rather than argue and pit fan against fan, we get creative.

First off, let me say that I believe that this gimmick is good enough to overcome such nonsense, and that the chants will fade rather than grow. Having said that, however, I put forth the hypothetical situation that these chants of "Husky Harris" persist. How would you go about having Bray Wyatt address the "Husky Harris" chants?

Bray Wyatt would cut an in-ring promo, alone, in which he discusses his genesis. He would, in his unique way, explain to the WWE Universe how he used to be a sheep, but had an awakening and became a shepherd. He could further the religious allusion by talking about dreams, visions, and visitations. This is something he has already done in vignettes, so it would only serve to further his character to talk about prophetic visions and divine intervention.

From there he would talk about how the man he used to be had a family, and how they were sheep. On that cue, Rowan and Harper would emerge from backstage. They would come down the ramp, each holding a leash and leading a man in a black hood, his hands bound. Harper and Rowan would lead the men into the ring and have them kneel before Wyatt. Bray would reach the denouement of his speech (perhaps something along the lines of "lambs to the slaughter"), and then remove the hoods to reveal that the men are none other than Mike "I.R.S" Rotunda and Taylor "Bo Dallas" Rotunda, Wyatt's real life father and brother. Wyatt would then go on to berate them, belittle them, tell them how they're nothing and nothing to him. Then, after verbally assaulting them, he and his new family would beat the hell out of them in a way that pushes the boundaries of WWE's TVPG rating. Bray would kneel over them, and the screen would do that garbled fade-to-commercial that accompanied last night's debut.

As I said, fantasy booking isn't my specialty, but I think that that would be a way for WWE to say, "yes, this character has a past, but no, he doesn't care about it and neither should you." Of course, beating up Bo Dallas might garner him some cheers, but then again it could be a roundabout way to re-debut Dallas to the main roster. Anyway, there's my piece, what do you propose?

To me, it doesn't matter what they are chanting about Bray Wyatt. The fact of the matter is that he got an audience reaction. It doesn't matter if they are booing, cheering, chanting, chanting your old ring name, if the crowd is getting vocal then you are doing your job. You are inciting something inside of them to make them want you to hear their exact thoughts on you.

Besides, look how much buzz this whole "Husky Harris" chant is getting here. Was it an asshole thing to chant? Yes. Is it helping the Wyatt family get even more attention than the massive amount of attention that their arrival was already getting? Judging by how many thread I'm seeing about it and Jim Ross's tweets about it, I would say yes.

And that's actually a bad-ass booking idea for how to handle the "Husky Harris" chants.

I would hold off a bit on addressing the chants. Sure if the chants keep coming week in and week out then i would do something about it. To me the Wyatt Family all of em look like Mental Patients who escaped Bellvue! And that is perfect i like this group and love em. Awesome Debut last night only big things for these guys IMO. Bray Wyatt,Luke Harper,and Erick Rowan. If the Husky chants keep going then i would go along the Lines of what Dr said.

Bray could say something like My family all of em are a bunch of sheep. Husky Harris is a sheep. Im Bray Wyatt my family is a complete embarrassment to me. All of em Mike Rotunda,Bo Dallas there sheep im a wolf! Trashing your family on air is a sure way of getting the crowd to stop chanting Husky Harris at least to me that is the way i would go,if it keeps going

I think we're confusing ourselves between chanting and heckling. In my personal opinion it was an uneducated group of fans, attempting to put themselves over to the IWC thinking theyre chanting something clever when in reality, they were taking away from a segment and not adding to it. it was a form of heckling and if it continues than you can thank the fans, not the WWE for sabotaging this character.

Chanting ECW, Jerry Lawler, JBL, RVD, or doing the Wave during a match, livens up the show during boring moments...

Chanting Goldberg (at Ryback), Batista (at Mason Ryan), A-train (at Tensai) ruins these new characters WWE tries to give us...Sure... Mason Ryan and Ryback are very similar to Goldberg and Batista respectively, and it's too obvious that Tensai was A-train. Ryback, Mason Ryan and Tensai didn't spend a year or so working hard on a character in developmental either..they were just shove onto WWE tv.... but heckling "Husky Harris" is an insult to an original character that he has worked hard on for the last year.

Just think about working on a piece of art or a special project, going to reveal it to your friends and family at an event then someone coming by and taking a giant piss on it... that's what those fans tried to do, and I'm sure the WWE expected some little smarks to do that, I can only imagine how crappy Windham felt knowing a couple people tried to ruin his long awaited debut.

I'm a thesbian and it really is comparable to being in a stage play and having someone yell out the ending during the performance, distracting the actors, and making the audience uninterested to see the rest of the play.

Congrats to some IWC smarks that attended the show, thinking their funny by heckling a perfectly original character...You want new characters and less John Cena but chanting and heckling these new characters, and forcing them to flop in the process only gives WWE more fuel to shove Cena in more segments.

I think we're confusing ourselves between chanting and heckling. In my personal opinion it was an uneducated group of fans, attempting to put themselves over to the IWC thinking theyre chanting something clever when in reality, they were taking away from a segment and not adding to it. it was a form of heckling and if it continues than you can thank the fans, not the WWE for sabotaging this character.

Chanting ECW, Jerry Lawler, JBL, RVD, or doing the Wave during a match, livens up the show during boring moments...

Chanting Goldberg (at Ryback), Batista (at Mason Ryan), A-train (at Tensai) ruins these new characters WWE tries to give us...Sure... Mason Ryan and Ryback are very similar to Goldberg and Batista respectively, and it's too obvious that Tensai was A-train, but heckling "Husky Harris" is an insult to an original character that he has worked hard on for the last year.

Just think about working on a piece of art or a special project, going to reveal it to your friends and family at an event then someone coming by and taking a giant piss on it... that's what those fans tried to do, and I'm sure the WWE expected some little smarks to do that, I can only imagine how crappy Windham felt knowing a couple people tried to ruin his long awaited debut.

I'm a thesbian and it really is comparable to being in a stage play and having someone yell out the ending during the performance, distracting the actors, and making the audience uninterested to see the rest of the play.

Congrats to some IWC smarks that attended the show, thinking their funny by heckling a perfectly original character...You want new characters and less John Cena but chanting and heckling these new characters, and forcing them to flop in the process only gives WWE more fuel to shove Cena in more segments.

I appreciate your passion, but the point of this thread is, as I said:

me said:
rather than argue and pit fan against fan, we get creative.

Debating whether the fans in Baltimore were justified or not doesn't get anyone anywhere, and frankly it isn't fun. I'm trying to take a divisive topic and make it something that we can all enjoy. So, while I fully get what you're trying to say, I'd ask that we all refrain from this kind of post in this thread. There's already a thread for such posts right here:

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=257645

Welcome to the forums. Now, do you have any creative ideas as to how the performers could silence the hecklers?

yea sorry if you disagree with anything or think I posted in the wrong thread about the topic...I only made an account because I'm really behind the Bray Wyatt character.

I'm not the typical fan who likes to go around and talk wrestling a lot, I'm 26 years old with a wife and kids, but I just felt the urge to give my opinion...this will probably be my last post on here.

It is just frustrating to see fans can not suspend disbelief anymore.. You may wonder why WWE has their part timers come back every 3 and 4 months at a time. Fans should put their smartness aside every once and awhile and allow a couple characters here and there to become huge stars..everyones first gimmick/name most of the time sucks..there isn't any reason to harp on it and ruin his new character in the long run.

Have fun...

It is just frustrating to see fans can not suspend disbelief anymore.. You may wonder why WWE has their part timers come back every 3 and 4 months at a time. Fans should put their smartness aside every once and awhile and allow a couple characters here and there to become huge stars..everyones first gimmick/name most of the time sucks..there isn't any reason to harp on it and ruin his new character in the long run.

Have fun...

You're asking the fans to go back into pretending essentially that wrestling hasn't progressed past the early 80's and that Vince McMahon didn't spill the beans to a grand jury that is was all a work.

Fans will do stupid shit at times....that happens. Hell I was at a RAW in my neck of the woods in 2007 when they were chanting "Taber Corn" during a Chris Masters match.

Fans chanting whatever will not kill this gimmick, only the booking and delievery of the character will kill the gimmick

Give it time...hell it was a debut on RAW which garnered a reaction to the promos and the bloody enterance (which I want to see them keep...as that was highly unique)

I wouldn't address it at all. I think most people online agree that the fans acted like a group of idiots in chanting Husky Harris and I doubt many will keep on doing it. The casuals definitely won't.

Having Bray Wyatt address it ruins the Wyatt character as it takes him away from being the messianic head of a family so avoid that at all costs.

I really hope fans end this nonsense of chanting old gimmicks at wrestlers though. All it will eventually do is make it so a guy only has one shot at the WWE and if that gimmick fails he is out on his ear and won't be hired again. Imagine if WCW fans refused to allow Scott Hall to move past the Razor gimmick? Or Kane wasn't allowed forget he played the Fake Diesel? Ziggler got repeated Spirit Squad chants? Stone Cold not getting a chance because Steve Austin was once a Hollywood Blonde?

It's just completely idiotic on the fans part to do this

This is a stupid idea. Any attempt to tie in the Bray Wyatt character to his former character and his real heritage will ruin the character he plays. What they should do is just simply ignore the "Husky Harris" chants and carry on.

Unlike the Ryback and Tensai characters, The Wyatts actually have some depth to them and their story is interesting. That in itself will eventually win over the hecklers and get them to stop ruining their spots.

This is a stupid idea. Any attempt to tie in the Bray Wyatt character to his former character and his real heritage will ruin the character he plays. What they should do is just simply ignore the "Husky Harris" chants and carry on.

Unlike the Ryback and Tensai characters, The Wyatts actually have some depth to them and their story is interesting. That in itself will eventually win over the hecklers and get them to stop ruining their spots.

Even those who read the OP apparently didn't read the OP.

me said:
First off, let me say that I believe that this gimmick is good enough to overcome such nonsense, and that the chants will fade rather than grow. Having said that, however, I put forth the hypothetical situation that these chants of "Husky Harris" persist.

My intention for this thread was for people to put forth ideas in the event that WWE were to do something to squelch the chants, however unlikely that is. I also made it clear that I'm not a fantasy booker. It's not something I normally do, nor something I claim to do well. This thread is no longer about that, though. We're discussing how shitty fans can be.

WWE will do whatever is possible to not pump in canned noise for the crowd, even if the crowd is stupid with it's chanting. nor would it make the fans want to chant anything if chants suddenly vanished from WWE programming, which this "fantasy booking" in order to kill HH chants would lead to.

Let the fans be fans, stop trying to stop smart mark jokers

I wouldn't bring Wyatt's real family into this overtly like that. I think it takes away from the character to acknowledge that his dad is IRS. The cult leader is the kid of a wrestling accountant? Hurts the mystique a little in my mind.

If it becomes necessary though, I would have him do something to address Husky Harris though. The whole "he was part of the plan", "he's dead" idea that's been floated around here works... followed up immediately with something major that takes the focus right off of that.

I don't know what that something major would be... but one idea is to mention that this was the first step of "his fathers" master plan. Smarts of course will think they're referring to IRS somehow, but it won't make sense. You can drag that out for a while with occasional references to 'his fathers' master plan... and when the time comes for the reveal...

his father turns out to be Waylon "Mercy" Wyatt.

They chanted "Husky Harris" because he was Husky Harris. saying that he is now someone else, insults people's intelligence.

WWE is trying to make people think Husky Harris and Bray Wyatt are two different people, whereas he was just on TV in 2011 in the New Nexus.

They chanted "Husky Harris" because he was Husky Harris. saying that he is now someone else, insults people's intelligence.

WWE is trying to make people think Husky Harris and Bray Wyatt are two different people, whereas he was just on TV in 2011 in the New Nexus.

Actually, he is Windham Rotundo. And you act as if you're smarter than the rest of us because you were able to identify that he's played multiple characters in the WWE and his previous persona was presented to us less than two years ago. Not to sound insulting but does it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to be "smarter" than the average fan?

The funny part is that most of us know who he is, who he was, and who he has become. We just choose to accept the change and try to enjoy the show. The WWE doesn't think we're stupid. What do you wish they do instead... fire him? Make him keep the previous moniker of Husky Harris forever? By doing that, would the WWE stop "insulting your intelligence"?

Maybe they give you all too much credit and actually think you'll accept the evolution of Rotunda's contribution to the product without trying to feel cool by pointing out every new development. The nerve of them...

Why do fans think it's such a big deal to point this stuff out? You act as if no one has ever been repackaged before and the WWE is "insulting" us by trying to give a wrestler a job, a direction, and a chance to entertain us. Fans like you are exactly what's wrong with wrestling today.

No, it doesn't. It is asking that minor percentage of the audience who remember Husky to suspend their disbelief, which is the basis of all professional wrestling and repackaging is a major part of that - what if SCSA was not allowed to leave the Ringmaster in the past? I doubt if Mean Mark Callous would have a Wrestlemania Streak.

Unfortunately, that same minor percentage would rather attempt to make themselves seem 'smart' than enjoy the emergence of an excellent, new character.

Actually, he is Windham Rotundo. And you act as if you're smarter than the rest of us because you were able to identify that he's played multiple characters in the WWE and his previous persona was presented to us less than two years ago. Not to sound insulting but does it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to be "smarter" than the average fan?

The funny part is that most of us know who he is, who he was, and who he has become. We just choose to accept the change and try to enjoy the show. The WWE doesn't think we're stupid. What do you wish they do instead... fire him? Make him keep the previous moniker of Husky Harris forever? By doing that, would the WWE stop "insulting your intelligence"?

Maybe they give you all too much credit and actually think you'll accept the evolution of Rotunda's contribution to the product without trying to feel cool by pointing out every new development. The nerve of them...

Why do fans think it's such a big deal to point this stuff out? You act as if no one has ever been repackaged before and the WWE is "insulting" us by trying to give a wrestler a job, a direction, and a chance to entertain us. Fans like you are exactly what's wrong with wrestling today.

No. I actually like the gimmick. But I was just pointing out why would have fans chanted "Husky Harris".

What they should do is let him cut a promo mentioning his previous character (Husky Harris). Say that he has changed etc, then the chants won't matter.

No. I actually like the gimmick. But I was just pointing out why would have fans chanted "Husky Harris".

What they should do is let him cut a promo mentioning his previous character (Husky Harris). Say that he has changed etc, then the chants won't matter.

Or the audience can just stop chanting stupid things that have little to no bearing on what's actually going on. They all want to see evolution, new storylines and new characters but they aren't willing to accept change without shitting all over it. The majority of the audience is so starved for attention that they have nothing better to do than point a finger and say, "LOOK AT DAT!!! WWE UZED THE SAME GUY TWICEE!!!"

It's just so pathetic.

I am somewhat torn on this.

Part of me likes the idea of Bray Wyatt talking about how Husky Harris was consumed by the Eater of Worlds - it would be fodder for a great promo.

But at the same time, I think that Windham Rontundo's past gimmicks should be firmly left there rather than dredged up in an attempt to placate idiot fans, while a large number of them say "who was Husky Harris?"

Wait and watch, lets see if it sticks or it was just a few fans being 'cool'. I have no problem with it. I know it kinda tarnished a great moment and seriously fans have done this from time to time, but I wouldn't get much hyped up over it.

If I must address it, I will say this...let him talk, if the crowd chants "Huskahhh";turn to the audience Bray and say "Husky Harris is dead children."

That is all.

I don't see there being any mention of the chants, there wasn't with Tensai or Ryback. The only thing WWE should do is ignore the chants from Raw and just hope that people thought it was stupid, so they don't chant the same thing.

You can obviously make a point to mention it and get the character over a bit more because of it, but I don't really see the point. At the end of the day, if WWE mention it the same sort of fans will keep doing things like that because they'll think WWE will mention them.

This whole "Husky Harris" chant thing has been blown way out of proportion by people on this site. Having Wyatt mention Husky Harris would also only encourage it and would ultimately be a pointless endeavor. It's just a handful of fans trying to prove how smart they are. It can easily be ignored and it should be.

I don't know if I would address the chants. Everybody swore up and down that the Raw after WM 29 crowd made Fandango, then the WWE acknowledged it and in my view killed the Fandango character. They did not let it grow organically and all the reaction to the Fandango character that they had built was gone.

Different situation than Bray's, I know, but I would say relax and don't overreact just yet. If they do react to them, then I have no problem with your hypothetical. I like it and it could work.

It wasn't that the crowd killed Fandango, it was the fuss over the theme that did that. When a wrestler's music is more over than him - you have a problem. Also Vince would have had a very definite idea of how he wanted the character to go if it was a "pet project" once the fans took it for themselves he would have instantly throttled back - the concussion will have probably put the nail that prevents him being over mid card into the coffin.

I like the idea of bringing out IRS, but not Bo, that would damage him as he has his own thing going on with the NXT title. I would prefer IRS to be down he line though, when the family have injured some more stars - IRS goes out to try and reason with him rather than the "hooded kidnap" idea... last time WWE tried something like that it was Hassan, and look how that ended.

The chants aren't an issue - indeed they were to be expected - Bray had the perfect reaction and the meme sums it up "kicking back not giving a f***". He can use these chants in the same way Rock did "Die Rocky Die". People chanted "Albert" at Tensai when he debuted, but that didn't ruin the push - the poor concept of the character did... Bray has a great concept and the chanters will quickly get bored.

It wasn't that the crowd killed Fandango, it was the fuss over the theme that did that. When a wrestler's music is more over than him - you have a problem.

Shit, double post.

Anyway, my point was that the WWE overreaction to that crowd was what killed Fandango. That's the problem.

Let things grow organically. Like Daniel Bryan's "YES!".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back