• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A Trip Down MTFO Lane

A lot of the ones mentioned are great... One that I didnt see was WWE buying WCW... For me seeing Shane on Nitro.. was surreal. and so freakin cool...

ok first and foremost what is a mark and before anybody says anything no I am not new wrestling fan i have been a wrestling fan for 17 years and going back down memory lane id have to say my favorite get the F out moment was when The Rock vs Hulk Hogan at WM X8 before their match that was the greatest moment ever for me I completely forgot everything in the world the that moment as part of me wanted to cheer for the Rock but a part of me also wanted to cheer for hogan i loved that match still my favorite match ever my two favorite wrestlers ever one on one

Mark
a fan who believes that the characters and events of some or all of professional wrestling are real.[1] The term can also be applied to a fan who idolizes a particular wrestler, promotion, or style of wrestling to a point some might consider excessive.[1] "Marking out" is the act of reacting to an event in wresting as if it was legit even though the person reacting to it knows it to be staged.
Mid-carder

We know it's fake, but we still MARK THE FUCK OUT when something cool happens!

I have a whole bunch also but I will limit them. First I won't mention any that have been said already. So heeeeeeere we go:

1) Ultimate Warrior vs. Hulk Hogan WM VI. Everyone loved Hogan but I loved Warrior more and when he won it was absolutely fantastic.

2) Hardys vs. E & C 1999 No Mercy Tag Team Ladder Match for the finals of the T.I.T. I was front row behind the announcers for this phenominal match live here in Cleveland Ohio.

3) John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar 2003 Backlash - significance? Cena's first PPV main Event. He lost but had a good showing against one of the most dominat champions of all time.

4) Kurt Angle vs. Shane McMahon at King of the Ring. Wow. Shane takes bumps and Angle was phenominal.

5) Kurt Angle tapping out Hulk Hogan with the Ankle Lock. Enough said.

6) Debut of Gangrel. I love vampires and that still is the coolest entrance of all time. Ring of fire/awesome music/goblet of 'that red liquid'

7) Recently St Ed's and Kent State's own Nic Nemeth aka Dolph Ziggler winning his first singles gold the IC Title.

8) Ric Flair debuting as 'the real world's champion'

9) Debut of Brock Lesnar - I had read tons about him and seen some of his OWV matches with Shelton as the Minnesota Stretching CRew and he was just awesome (sorry Miz)

10) Um.....can't believe this hasn't been said yet but a......barber shop window anyone? Michaels turn to a super-duper-star

lets see...I MTFO on a few moments. When HBK & Razor Ramon had those ladder matches, The Boiler Room brawl when Paul Bearer turned on Taker, Jeff Hardy swantoning Orton off that scaffold, Stone Cold demolishing Booker @ the grocery store (one of my personal favs lol), Hell in Cell with Taker & Foley (Mankind), Shane elbow droppin Big Show off the Backlash Titantron, when Matt turned on Jeff against Edge @ Royal Rumble, When Orton punted THEE SHIT outta Vince, and DEFINITELY at the 2009 Royal Rumble when RVD came back for a night. I have to add, that me being a big Original ECW fan, the night that Rhino (Rhyno for WWE fans) came out the crowd and GORED THE LIVING SHIT outta Jeff Hardy was crazy too. I mean at that time alot of spoilers came out so a lot of my friends already knew it was gonna happen but i dont read em so it was a dope ass suprise. I think the one moment that i MTFO the most was the HBK vs. Taker match @ Wrestlemania 25 though.

Mark
a fan who believes that the characters and events of some or all of professional wrestling are real.[1] The term can also be applied to a fan who idolizes a particular wrestler, promotion, or style of wrestling to a point some might consider excessive.[1] "Marking out" is the act of reacting to an event in wresting as if it was legit even though the person reacting to it knows it to be staged.
Mid-carder

We know it's fake, but we still MARK THE FUCK OUT when something cool happens!

so thats what it called when ive been spazing out all these years people just told me to quit freaking out that its not real i wish i coulda known the term mark back then lol Thank you though for clearing this up for me

A few come to mind for me.

1. Foley vs. Taker Hell In A Cell. No need to elaborate.

2. Austin turning at Wrestlemania X-Seven. You knew it was the end of the 'tude Era right there.

3. The debut of Kane. We had never really seen a monster quite like him before, and man did they promote the hell out of it.

4. For good measures, let's add the debut of Jericho. So perfect.

my biggest mark out moment was about two or three weeks before wrestlemania 21. i was at the raw in atlanta and hbk appeared on the screen and was talking to someone about his upcoming match with kurt angle and that persons upcoming match with angle on smackdown. it turns out that person was marty jannety and michaels asked if jannety could have a warm up match and they had a tag team match against la resistance when they came out to the rockers music i went crazy since the rockers are my favorite tag team of all time.

The Rock returning after Austin walked out...that was pretty cool

Also,

As an RVD mark I couldn't contain exciement when he got the Money in the Bank briefcase and used it in actual match. Having him win at the original One Night Stand was very apt and deserved... and really it was the only result due to a crowd riot but still when he won I MTFO.

This was a good one I agree, but it was the 2nd ONS not the original.

When Cena returned at RR 2008...that was the craziest moment ever...nobody knew he was coming , it was insane!!

good thread Idea, I have to say as u might have guessed, I am a goldberg mark. I became a fan of his in WCW when I was 7 or 8 years old. When Goldberg was announced as coming to WWE and would debut at backlash I was excited, but when I was watching the post wrestlemania RAW I as u say "marked the fuck out" when Goldberg came out and speared Rocky in half.

I'm going to this kinda chronologic, cause ther wer many times I just MTFO:

2004: Eddie beating both Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle, emotives moments.
talking about emotives moments: Beoit FINALLY winning the WHC, beating two top dogs (of all time) of the E at the biggest PPV! seripusly, do I need to add more?
Randy Orton winning the WHC against Benoit. noene saw that one coming, plus I wasn't really a mark of Orton, yet in the process of the match, he became my fav wrestler ¡til today.

2007: Orton winnig the WWE champ from HHH, PAYBACK IS A BITCH TRIPS!

don't remember the year but it was when CM Punk won his first MitB! I was so fucking happy for him

and last but not least, when Tommy Dreamer won the WWECW championship, it was the right thing to do with Tommy he totally deserved it

I'd say the LAST time I marked out would be when Bryan came back at SS...

I had marked out many times for The Rock and also Austin.

But for me I think the time I completely marked out the most and looked like an idiot (LOL) was when Brock Lesnar F-5'd The Big Show for the first time at Survivor Series 02.

To name but a few, that I don’t think has ben mentioned yet,Oh and excuses if I have dates mixed up, am old like Terry funk

Shamrocks Debut, a was a huge Shamrock fan and back in the day thought him Blackman and Dan Sevren were going to change the face of the wwf, sadly it didn’t happen, but is that not always the way.

Savage vs Warrior like a hundred Elbow drops from the top rope

First time we saw Paul Bearer and the Undertaker

King of the ring ( man i miss that ppv) the beginning of everything 3:16

Sad as it was Perry Saturn and mopy

Stone cold vs Brett, man did Stone cold bleed, this was my favourite match till Undertaker vs HBK at Wrestlemania, Brett was all over Austin after he had took him out the ring threw him off the barricade and pummelled his head against the corner post, slapped in that fancy sharpshooter off the post, I screamed at the telly, Man! Then the sharpshooter in the middle of the ring, stone cold pumping blood from his head, never goin to tap, never goin to quit, Hell yeah!!!

Undertaker vs HBK Hell in the Cell match, when Taker punted Sean’s face into the side of the cage and his face went splat,

Stone cold vs Vince St Valentines day massacre

China in the Rumble

Undertaker dragging Diesel under the ring after coming thru the mat

Big Shows debut chokeslammin Stone cold thru the cage

Big show chokeslammin Angle off the Balcony

Two Undertakers WTF, To this day im still confused hahhaha………

Golddust vs Razor Golddust vs Piper when he stripped him and he had the lingerie on underneath and the whole car incident, that shocked me out my pants first time around

The fatal Four at the rumble Taker Bret, Stone cold and Vader

3:16 says you just pissed yourself

Vince injecting the poison of the NWO into the blood of the WWF, I love Vince doing any promo but that was special.

Linda walking into Locker room to find Vince trousers at his ankles and Trish kneeling before him, The Hand of Mae young, The Rock belittling Kevin Kelly

This was my first real mark out moment - pre coverage of WWe and WCW in the United Kingdom, we had World of Sport wrestling. To see one of my home country guys appear (in Norn Iron apparel no less) in a major US promotion - WOW!!!

[YOUTUBE]RCI5uRVFpdE[/YOUTUBE]

WWe was the biggest organisation in the world, WCW was a distant second - when it was revealed that they were going to take on the live Raw Is War with their own Monday Nitro, many scoffed but this moment highlighted their intentions and marked me out for the oncoming wars - the return of a WCW institution...

[YOUTUBE]mRCFdD6V51g[/YOUTUBE]

WWe won the Monday night wars and when the big stars didn't join the Invasion - many felt that they'd been cheated then one night on RAW... (I still get shivers)

[YOUTUBE]5CQ0etxT6Eg[/YOUTUBE]

Biggest mark out moment on iMPACT!, arguably not the biggest signing but for me a chance to see a charismatic super worker on a show he might get pushed on. Chills and they're multiplyin!!!

[YOUTUBE]cE823BnlQ2s[/YOUTUBE]

Penultimately, the moment two WCW cruiserweights ruled the WWe - even more poignant now knowing what was ahead of them.

[YOUTUBE]8pQskgvHNX8[/YOUTUBE]

And finally, the only thing on TV that made me cry harder than this was listening to "You'll Never Walk Alone" in the aftermath of the Hillsborough disaster (some people might say this isn't a mark moment - but to shed tears for the death of someone you don't know personally but rather as fictional characters, I don't care - it counts!).

[YOUTUBE]nT5vx7rJxFw[/YOUTUBE]

Backlash 2000 - It was Rock/HHH, which should have been the main event of Mania that year, but that's another story. Austin was supposed to be in Rock's corner, but it was pretty much said that Austin wasn't going to be back. He was still out from getting run over back in late 99. Good way into the match, Vince and crew come out and beat down Rock, as Shane was the special ref. And boom, Austin's music hits. Crazy fucking pop. He nails everyone with some brutal ass chair shots. Linda brings out Earl Hebner. Rock hits the spinebuster and People's Elbow on HHH and Hebner counts the 3. I was like 9 when this happened and a huge Rock fan so this was like the coolest shit ever.

HHH's return in 2002 - Seeing I was like 11 here, I wasn't a smark, so I had no idea when HHH was coming back. When that music hit, I went about as crazy as the crowd did. That pop was just unbelievable. And I was a kid and a huge Rock fan, so I hated HHH's guts. But for some reason I just went fucking crazy when that music hit. It was so fucking cool to see him as a face. His confrontation with Angle was just epic, and I went nuts when he hit Angle with a Pedigree.

Survivor Series 2008 - It was HHH/Kozlov. This match sucked nuts. Hardy was supposed to be here but he was found unconscious in a stairwell. Whether or not that was from doing too much coke or from being attacked that was never clarified. Out comes Vickie to end this piece of shit of a match. Here comes Hardy? Wrong, it's Edge. Edge had been gone since Summerslam so this return was epic, and it was a huge surprise seeing we were all expecting Hardy. Edge hits the Spear and goes for the win. But here comes Hardy with a chair. He nails Kozlov with a sick chair shot. He tries for Edge but inadvertently hits HHH. Edge hits the Spear. 1,2,3 on HHH and Edge is WWE Champ. Holy fuck. This happened so fast and it was just crazy to take all of it in. This moment reminded me of the drama and shock of the Attitude Era. Fucking awesome.

Here's my MTFO moments...

1. Jeff Hardy wins the championship at Extreme Rules 2008/9? only to lose it like 2 minutes later when CM Punks cashes in MITB. I was at a bar watching it with a bunch of people. I was so excited that Jeff beat Edge after a great ladder match. Then after he collapses in the corner, you hear CM Punk's music, and everyone in the bar just freaks out and screams in disgust!! Out comes punk with his briefcase, and its all over...we were all horrified and still in shock.

2.Survivor Series 2007- Undertaker v Batista Hell In a Cell
This was for the World Heavyweight championship. The two men had been going back and forth for QUITE some time, and these guys were battered and bloody, and then, as Undertaker was about to tombstone Batista, the cameraman interferes and hits him with the camera. Its revealed to be Edge. I was screaming in my house, the neighbor came over...lol. I was so MTFO.

3. Summerslame 2008- Edge v Undertaker, Hell in a Cell.
This was where Taker chokeslammed Edge from the top of the ladder to 'hell' thru the ring. :wtf: I remember our friends at my place were all screaming like schoolkids like that was the only thing we watched that night.

4. The re-debut of Y2J. Back in Nov. 2007. Granted, it was the worst kept secret with all those crytpic codes, but the way he interrupted Orton's passing of the torch, with all those jokes, was so needed. I so missed him, and was glad to see him back.

5. The return of Christian to WWE in 2009. Oh man...I've been a Christian Mark for SOOOO long. I was hoping to see him at the Royal Rumble that year. But the 'net probably kinda killed the swirl on that. But it was even better to have him return on tv. I was so glad Captain Charisma came back.

6. Armageddon 2008. Jeff Hardy wins his first WWE Championship in a 3 way vs Edge and HHH. Oh man...I was so excited. I think I was just as excited as the fans in the arena. Even watching it on the best of Smackdown DVD, I still get goosebumps, and watching the best of Jeff's dvd, you just can feel the emotion that was building to that moment for him.

For me it has to be, Chris Benoit winning at Wrestlemania. It was the first Wrestlemania i ever ordered and man i was blown away, he makde Triple Fucking H tapout. It was just an awesome night, and then after that him and Eddie embraced it was truly excellent to watch, you could actually feel how happy they were.

Shelton Benjamen got super-kicked by HBK in mid-air. I was like 'HOLYY MOTHAA FUCKAAA!!!'

When Y2J debuted on WWF. I somewhat watched WCW then, and I knew Jericho, I knew how he can work a promo and a match. When The Rock got interrupted, and the countdown and codes and everything came down on the titantron, I was like, 'who the hell....?' and then I see the Jericho, and I marked out like shit. It was hilarious, my reaction.

The return of Cena at the RR 2008. That changed the way I thought about Cena. I gained so much respect for him. He had a torn SHOULDER, and he still wrestled.

HBK's return after 4 years. I was basically, crying. My favourite wrestler of ALL TIME, made his return after 4 YEARS of trying to figure out himself. I wasn't on the internet, at all actually, so I didn't really know anything about his return or whatever. I didn't think he was coming back after those four years. He made returns to guest referee and stuff, but then he stopped, and I thought I would never see HBK again. But, when he returned, I was just sooooo happy.

Mark out moments? Well, this isn't difficult at all...

The biggest mark-out moment for me was the debut of Chris Jericho on Raw when he interrupted the Rock and debuted as Y2J back in 1999. The Y2J campaign countdown was a fantastic gimmick, and he soared with it.
[YOUTUBE]w20Ra5aVXiQ[/YOUTUBE]

The announcement that Kurt Angle had signed with TNA was probably the most epic vignette I've ever watched, and I remember watching with a close friend of mine who marked out just as big as I did – I was literally screaming in excitement.
[YOUTUBE]MmRUAaYSfes[/YOUTUBE]

Another mark-out moment for me would have been the debut of Diamond Dallas Page back in 2001 when he was revealed as the stalker of the Undertaker/Sara. DDP was one of my favorite wrestlers from WCW, and his debut was epic for me. Just listen to the crowd reaction when he pulls the mask off and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
[YOUTUBE]YEY4DJs6II0[/YOUTUBE]

Then of course there's Taz' WWF debut when he ended Kurt Angle's undefeated streak. Angle was one of the hottest things in wrestling at the time, and to see Taz come in and finally end it was incredible and gave Taz a huge push as a result.
[YOUTUBE]Rdx7g88Bm3g[/YOUTUBE]

While I'm no huge fan of him personally, the RVD debut in TNA was absolutely huge. All you have to do is listen to the crowd again. While they obviously knew he was coming, it didn't really seem to hinder the reaction at all when those three letters hit the screen.
[YOUTUBE]96fNTJRis4E[/YOUTUBE]

Kevin Nash's TNA debut was fucking amazing. I've always been a huge Nash fan, and ever since he was let go by WWF at the time, I was just hoping for a chance to see him again.
[YOUTUBE]uZ2mk4RPm7g[/YOUTUBE]

And of course, who could ever forget the debut of Gillberg? What explanation do you need? It was ridiculous.
[YOUTUBE]yWufnwYOm4I[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back