A Story About KB's Family

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
So my mom is on vacation this week and thought she'd go to Georgetown and stay in a hotel for two days. Georgetown is about 25 minutes away from Lexington. So she stayed there last night and everything seemed to be fine. Today I'm told she's changing hotels for some reason. I call my mom up to see what's wrong and she says she can't figure out the TV channels in the other hotel. Therefore, she's coming back to Lexington to stay in a hotel here, about 15 minutes from her own house, bed, and all her other stuff.

I don't think that's so crazy. Just having the luxury of room service/people making the bed, cleaning, not worrying about a house for however long the vacation is, is really what vacation is about for older people (from my observation of it).

When I go on vacation with my family, my parents aren't dying to go out and do things (although they enjoy that as well), they're perfectly happy with just relaxing in a different environment with no sense of responsibility, chores to do, etc. Just the change of scenery and the free time and no stress are the crux of the vacation for them.

I don't think that's so crazy. Just having the luxury of room service/people making the bed, cleaning, not worrying about a house for however long the vacation is, is really what vacation is about for older people (from my observation of it).

When I go on vacation with my family, my parents aren't dying to go out and do things (although they enjoy that as well), they're perfectly happy with just relaxing in a different environment with no sense of responsibility, chores to do, etc. Just the change of scenery and the free time and no stress are the crux of the vacation for them.

Oh she cleans the room thoroughly before she leaves. She says she feels bad about making people clean up her messes.

The only crazy thing is changing hotels for the sole purpose of being able to figure out the TV channels. That is pretty fucked up.

everything else makes a bit of sense. Get away from everything for a few days by going to a local hotel for a weekend.

The only crazy thing is changing hotels for the sole purpose of being able to figure out the TV channels. That is pretty fucked up.

everything else makes a bit of sense. Get away from everything for a few days by going to a local hotel for a weekend.

I'm not questioning just getting away for a few days and not driving far. I'm questioning the part about the TV. If she wants to watch TV and relax, she can do it here for 50 bucks cheaper.

Did you or your mom visit the BBQ Festival here in Owensboro this past weekend, KB?

I live 40 minutes outside of Pittsburgh, actually, despite what my location "says". At least once a month, my wife and I try to get away and go into Pittsburgh for the weekend to stay there. We explore the nightlife, catch a game, enjoy some time in a hotel, and visit a church on Sunday mornings. It's a great "retreat" away from real life, and it's something we've done long before we had a child.

So I see nothing weird about your mom getting away, even if its 25 minutes away. Not quite sure I understand the "can't figure out the channels" thing, isn't there a help desk for that? To each their own, we've left hotels for our own reasons and gone to another. It's fun and refreshing to get away for a few days.

I live 40 minutes outside of Pittsburgh, actually, despite what my location "says".

Eh, as far as I'm concerned, it's Pittsburgh for anyone who's not from Pittsburgh. Suburbs don't mean anything to anyone who isn't from the area, so the Greater [Insert City] Area is pretty much the same as [Insert City].

As for your mom, KB, never underestimate the ability older folks have to avoid adapting to technology.

I live 40 minutes outside of Pittsburgh, actually, despite what my location "says". At least once a month, my wife and I try to get away and go into Pittsburgh for the weekend to stay there. We explore the nightlife, catch a game, enjoy some time in a hotel, and visit a church on Sunday mornings. It's a great "retreat" away from real life, and it's something we've done long before we had a child.

So I see nothing weird about your mom getting away, even if its 25 minutes away. Not quite sure I understand the "can't figure out the channels" thing, isn't there a help desk for that? To each their own, we've left hotels for our own reasons and gone to another. It's fun and refreshing to get away for a few days.

She wouldn't want to bother the people at the desk.

When I was little my mom and dad would take us to a hotel that was close to home for the weekend and call it a vacation. That might sound lame but they did a great job of talking it up and making it seem like a big deal. We were in a new place with an indoor and outdoor swimming pool. There was a video arcade and pool tables. We got to stay up as late as we wanted and watch rented movies or cable tv (which is something we did not have at home). A weekend in a hotel 15 minutes away from home might sound like a poor excuse for a vacation but with just a little effort a parent can make anything fun for their kids. Plus it allowed them to save a fortune by not taking real vacations which meant we really cashed in on birthdays and Christmas.

As for your mom KB, good for her for getting away for a little alone time. Not sure what kind of tv issue would cause her to leave. Were the channels just different numbers than she was used to? ESPN is 58 at my house but just a couple miles away it's like 29 at my dad's. Is that the kind of thing that was throwing her off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back