A Star Is Born- Elias Samson

Much too soon to call Samson a star. He had a much better debut than I expected, I figured Ambrose would blow through him in maybe 3 minutes or so, but he may well wind up being nothing more than a little tool to put a little more heat into the Ambrose & Miz program for Extreme Rules. Since he scored the win via count out, Samson will probably get another match with Ambrose, possibly by next week, and let's see how he does.

Samson has gotten a bit of a following with his appearances of just wandering around backstage, popping up at unexpected times strumming his guitar. The Michigan fans at Raw tonight were responding to him well during his match, so that's always a good sign, but we'll see. Hell, Vince may love the guy right now but might completely sour on him by next week, so Samson's future is highly ambiguous at best right now

Much like Jack-Hammer said, it's too soon to call him a star. It takes a lot to build a star and you can't do it on the debut itself. Yes, you can have him a strong debut. But becoming a star is very difficult and rare nowadays.

So, nah. Need to give him some more time.

He was nothing special in NXT and didn't exactly set that world on fire.

Can't see him being much on the main roster. Offence isn't the most exciting.

Would expect him to be the next Jinder Mahal..........em??

He'll be a jobber soon enough.

I think JH nailed it. Fully expected it to be a 2 minute squash by Ambrose, but Samson came off as being able to hold his own in the ring. He's not a bad singer either. The look on Kurt Angle's face was priceless though as he was watching him strum his guitar in the back. I was pleasantly surprised by the whole thing.

His gimmick is one that rubs smarks the wrong way, and I love it mainly for that.

Smarks want to dictate how a show will play out. One can react to the "What!?" chants in a way that mocks the people doing it, but they feel validated nonetheless for getting any kind of a reaction.

Now you have a guy whose gimmick is one where he expects you to sit and listen (and shut the fuck up) while he plays an acoustic guitar and sings. Smarks desperately want to fuck him up, they want him to stop playing and scream at them, or more importantly make him choke and give in to their jeering. Nah; he'll play and sing, and no matter how primal the crowd gets in their efforts to cope with their gnat-like attention spans, he'll keep doing his thing.

Bottom line up front: Smarks are a manic breed of douchebag. They wander through the sequence of failures that is their downward spiral of a life until they end up at a point where they've either died young in a Darwin-esque manner or until they've outlived the responsible human beings in their lives who foolishly provided them sanctuary. Somewhere in the midst of their Greek tragedy, they become an audience member at a WWE event. This is their one opportunity to matter, because if they're holding a beer in one hand and a smart phone in the other, chances are the surrounding crowd members will echo their idiotic reactions.

When Elias Samson plays without allowing himself to be interrupted, I've noticed that the crowd looks very defeated for that.

Would have been good if he got Carlito like debut push and ended up winning the IC title from Ambrose. Perhaps that could have happened the night after Extreme Rules instead. Guy impressed me with his character work thus far given how much NXT viewers have constantly criticise him during his time in the developmental brand.

I really like the gimmick, maybe because I'm a music fan. When I used to do efeds (Shootclub when that was going) I had a character called Nashville Joe who was a pretentious, hypocritical, drifter folk-singer railing against 'injustices' but always cheating to win. So I like Sampson. I think a darker twist on the guitar playing gimmick could work.

I thought it was a pretty creative way of giving him the win too.

The second I saw him and Miz together, I immediately thought "Sandow".

Remember, Damian Sandow had it all and WWE dropped the ball on him worse than they have on any talent in a while. Sampson has a great look, is decent in the ring and could easily rise to the top of the mid-card. His gimmick is a little weird, though, but that may not be a bad thing. It's not something he has to be locked into and they could fairly easily change it (unlike what they're doing with Lana).

Time will tell how Sampson will be used and whether he will ultimately become a star, but if he actually aligns with Miz, I'd be concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back