• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A Forgotten Gimmick Pay Per View...

giblet55

Occasional Pre-Show
Since I'm new to posting threads, I apologize if this thread has surfaced before or is currently out there.

I'm wondering why with the WWE's current obsession with all of these gimmick pay per views, why isn't War Games ever considered? Now I'm not saying every match on the card would have to be War Games, but at least the main event. The Team WWE Vs. the Nexus would have been awesome as a War Games match IMO.

That was one of the only WCW Gimmick matches that I thought was unique. I know the WWE did the elimination chamber, but that match never really had the same excitement for me as War Games did.

If having it as a yearly gimmick pay per view would be overkill, then it would be fine with me if this gimmick match was saved for a one time perfect situation, like the climax of a feud between two stables or factions.

TNA is currently working on a WarGames format (from what I've heard). Not that it wouldn't be feasible in the WWE, but I'm sure VKM probably thinks that if they steal THAT idea, that they've sunk to a new low. I always liked the concept of two rings, and no one has done that since WCW anyway. I think the three ring concept that WCW had at one point....can't remember which PPV it was,-- was idealistic in some ways. If you got thrown over the top, you went to the second ring (only to get dumped over again :lmao: ) and the winners of the first two rings would battle it out in the end. A time-waster--- I'm sure, but some of the ideas for spots would be at least original to a degree. I think WCW ran that sort of gimmick maybe two years in a row before getting rid of the idea. However....I think a double ring ladder match would be awesome....imagine some of the spots.

that was World war 3 and you have the concept a bit wrong you didn't just keep going from ring to ring it had like 60 ppl in it you cant fit 60 ppl in 1 ring and just wait for the other two to fill up because ppl are getting throw over =P cant remember it off the top of my head but i know that is wrong it was either the winner of the first ring would go over to the 2nd and then the last two standing one in that ring and one in the other would then fight or it was just the last one standing in each of the 3 rings came to the middle ring and went all out untill their was no one left besides yourself (pretty sure thats how it was)

sorry to get off topic :p

but yeah i always liked the wargames concept 2 rings just looks like crap next to each other but it would be interesting to see the use of the two rings and how some of the superstars would use both rings in their matches..

and its not really "stealing" vince does own all rights to the WcW so its concepts became his the second he bought the company but i do see where your saying that it would be the same and they never use any of the same ideas from wcw atleast none like that so i doubt their will be a gimmick ppv with it but at the same time seeing as wresting is a dying breed id say 75% atleast of the fans would think it was a fresh and original idea thought of by wwe because wresting isnt nearly as big as it was and most are to young to even know what wargames is even if they change the name i bet most wont go "man this was done in wcw" unless your one of the more die hard fans that have been around since back then and watched both wcw and wwf back in the day

but using it in TNA i doubt would ever happen

TNA is currently working on a WarGames format (from what I've heard). Not that it wouldn't be feasible in the WWE, but I'm sure VKM probably thinks that if they steal THAT idea, that they've sunk to a new low.

Hardly think it's stealing when he BOUGHT that idea.

But anyway, on topic.I think I may be one of the few people that never really got into the wargames concept.I thought it always made for a rather sloppy, clusterfuck of a match that didn't come across great on TV.

I believe I saw a report on wrestlezone a while back that they had considered wargames as a possible gimmick event, and if memory serves me right wwe.com even offered it as an option on a poll as a name for an upcoming ppv when they began with the gimmick PPVs but it obviously didnt make it far past that.

If it's about gimmick PPV's, then a "WarGames" PPV is actually a better idea than Hell in a Cell, TLC, and Money in the Bank(which I still think this should be WM only).

They could have one or two matches with two to four team battles and the cage could be on a similar plane as the Elimination chamber so the area can be bigger for the combatants because I don't think their's a need for 2 rings.

BTW I also think bringing back King of the Ring would be cool, too. That's sort of a gimmick, right? :blush:

Yea...I liked King of the Ring. In many ways the Money in the Bank took King of the Ring's spot. If you remember, most King of the Ring Champions went on to be big name stars. Now it seems like Money in the Bank is the match that results in a mega push. King of the Ring should come back because WWE really doesn't do enough tournament style situations.

Side note: I'm for King of the Ring as long as the champion doesn't do the crown and king garb as a gimmick from that point on. It works for some wrestlers, but not for others...see King Booker.

i would love to see a war games at a wwe ppv. i think it would be a better thing for it to be at survivor series though. nexus against wwe? thats the best possibility especially if cena turns nexus. wwe would be like what cena joined the enemy, and want to destroy them before they get any bigger. being that it is kinda like royal rumble though(with a new guy entering every so often) how would this work though?
do it more like a survivor series elimination match? or what? the 6 man hell in a cell match with anything goes. i do like the concept, but how would it would with wwe putting its personal touches on it?

War Games was always fun to watch. The uncertainty of who was coming out next. Hated the cheap WCW cage though. Watching WCW vs. NWO in the war games I was afraid that if they rammed AA body into the cell 1 more time the side would have fallen off.

To get off topic for a minute I'd love to see Cena go thru the Nexus in:

THE DOOMSDAY CAGE

If anyone remembers the MegaPowers (Hogan & Savage) vs. The Dungeon of Doom/4 Horsemen yeah. That was awesome. Loved that concept. Loved the CONCEPT but not the match lol the loaded glove haha what a joke but the concept was totally awesome.

But as far as WarGames goes. WWE could do something with it except maybe change it up a little bit. For instance instead of having 2 rings side by side maybe have it be 1 HUGE ring (the size of 2) and have it split in half by only 1 set of 3 ropes instead of 2. That would make it look more intense and eliminate the possibility of anyone sneaking in under the ring. I always thought someone was going to come crawling out of the gap between the 2 rings. Don't really know why but I would always be looking there for something to happen. But yes

War Games & Dooms Day Cage FTW!!!

I think War Games would've been better used in 2002/03/04/05 in WWE when Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Jericho, Booker T, Batista, Orton etc. were all around & active on Raw but in this day & age, there are only a few established names left in WWE, most of the roster are just new guys like Drew McIntrye, Kofi Kingston, Nexus etc. who wouldnt fit War Games. That match is too major for them.

I would love for WWE to bring back King Of The Ring or Cyber Sunday. Whether Cyber Sunday was rigged or not, I just like the idea of internet votings real or not. You dont know what stips, matches to expect on the night which made the PPV exciting for me.

I like the War Games idea in WWE however I wish they would stop the gimmic PPV's altogether, they're so annoying and take away from the matches itself...a Hell in a cell used to be special but now we get 3 or 4 in one night!

I would rather see War Games than some of the stupid PPV's like HIAC. HIAC matches are not possible in the PG era and it just ruins the name. I'd be absolutely fine if they would replace HIAC with WG's even though I agree that the gimmick PPV's are annoying now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back